Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 188 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Cork City denied a licence; club to be wound up; FORAS to enter First Division

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Terrible news, but dont see how they can come up with that money now.

I know some of our fans dont seem to care, but because of the crap we took from cork the last time we were in trouble.

Personally, i loved the matches we played against them, munster derby's were always the best. Good club with a good support!

Sympathy to all the Cork City fans though, and all the players and staff who will lose their jobs. Sad times!
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    With the revenue now only accepting the full amount or nothing by Friday, it really is the end of any hope that might have lingered there. Club will fold.
    When did this come about? The requirement of the full amount by Friday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    When did this come about? The requirement of the full amount by Friday?
    Today, after they met tom. He confirmed it on 96fm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Today, after they met tom. He confirmed it on 96fm.
    Well then thats certainly the final nail in the coffin.

Lets hope FORAS can save the club name and lets start again next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Talking about it on Liveline now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    firstly i have the utmost sympthy for all conected with CCFC however Cork city have been on a roller coaster of a ride for a number of years that could only end in tears, and should now serve as an example to all clubs on how not to do buisness (but alas this lesson will not be learned)
    As somebody who supports a small club that has been sneared at because of its size and "because it is holding back the league" and while i personally feel sad at the demise of a LOI club i cannot help but feel a certain amount of contentment. (maybe not the right word)
    finnally don you are wrong on so many levels foras should stand back and let the ship sink then try and save as many souls as possible before launching a new vessal
    Last edited by passerrby; 28/07/2009 at 2:12 PM.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    What rubbish?
    The Examiner appointed Coughlan, nobody voted him in or accepted him.
    fair enought not voted, but i know a good few city fans, who were delighted when couglan arrived to save the club, everyone in cobh knew he was a pure chancer, hes well known and it was said, and the city fans defended him for the first 2 months, untill they saw who this guy was, moving the club shop to his building in the city center and moving the clubs offices to his hotel in cobh, and chargeing rent, hes probably a creditor of CCFC,

i believe from what ive heard that couglan actually has money and is capable of saving the club, but refurses to invest hes personal wealth, i dont understand this logic, why buy a club you dont want to invest in,
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was a cork city fan (who sometimes posts on here as well) that got me into irish domestic soccer when I was in college down there, so for me personally this is a very sad and dark day in domestic irish soccer history.
    I found the Cork City supporters a great bunch and I enjoyed the atmosphere and being in the old shed. The league needs a team from Cork, the interest is clearly there so heres hoping that there will be some involvement in the league from there. The supporters, players and management are the real loosers here i feel particularly the supporters.
    Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    [QUOTE=Ezeikial;1200711]

It seems to me a reasonable interpretation of your original statement - if you mean something different, please clarify.

But it also opens up the possibility that a large number of people, led by a few, can also do something stupid. You don't need to search hard for the current evidence of this.

It's understandable that you would be in favour of a members-owned solution, given recent history at Cork City. A new FORAS-owned club, is probably the best (maybe the only) road forward for Cork, and I fervently wish that this succeeds - I hope that other Cork City supporters are also mindfull of your point that it doesn't solve all ills.
    I'm not a Cork fan but yes, I'm strongly in favour of member-owned clubs.

Your Bohs example is valid but not entirely representative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    [QUOTE=OneRedArmy;1200975]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I'm not a Cork fan but yes, I'm strongly in favour of member-owned clubs.

Your Bohs example is valid but not entirely representative.
    rovers would be the club to contact about that,
    member clubs can be great or they can be a disaster,
    personally i havent seen anything from FORAS in anyway that would say they could run a club, and if they do they should just start from scratch,

forget CCFC,
    forget the crest,
    foregt the players
    and forget contract for the cross,

start a new club with a new name FC of Cork seems like a grand name, or Cork Rangers, design a new crest cause that one is god awful, and then go to the MFA and negotiate a better deal to play in the cross,

i think the funny thing is that a new club would most likely ascend the league rather quickly, and be back in the premier league in less than 5 years, but when it got to the top they would just GO FOR IT again,

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    fair enought not voted, but i know a good few city fans, who were delighted when couglan arrived to save the club, everyone in cobh knew he was a pure chancer, hes well known and it was said, and the city fans defended him for the first 2 months, untill they saw who this guy was, moving the club shop to his building in the city center and moving the clubs offices to his hotel in cobh, and chargeing rent, hes probably a creditor of CCFC,

i believe from what ive heard that couglan actually has money and is capable of saving the club, but refurses to invest hes personal wealth, i dont understand this logic, why buy a club you dont want to invest in,
    Everyone in Cork had heard all the stories about Tom also but what choice did we have? It was Kieran McCarthys call, thanks Kieran.
    Tom may well have the money, personally I don't believe that Tom has put one red cent into the club but thats just my opinion.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Everyone in Cork had heard all the stories about Tom also but what choice did we have? It was Kieran McCarthys call, thanks Kieran.
    Tom may well have the money, personally I don't believe that Tom has put one red cent into the club but thats just my opinion.
    i thought FORAS worked with the examiner as a sort of official entity to represent the clubs interests, and i thought they released a statement sayin they were satisfied the right man had taken over the club,

am i wrong or is this true

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy;1200975
    Your Bohs example is valid but not entirely representative.[/QUOTE
    Not representative of what?

There are examples of member-owned clubs being run badly, and privately owned clubs being run well, and similarly vice versa.

While you favour member clubs, it does appear that we are both in agreement that the member-owned model is not automatically a panacea. The recent progress of Shamrock Rovers indicates what is possible, but equally Bohemains remain as the stand-out illustration of how a membership can be hoodwinked or deluded into colluding with financial recklessness.

The club being embedded in the community, and the community being embedded in the club, can occur in either scenario.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 28/07/2009 at 6:51 PM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I think the point is that with a fan owned club the fans can at least call a halt even in some cases quite belatedly. This seems to be beginning at Bohs.

With clubs in the hands of one person they can do whatever they like no matter what the community or supporters feel about it, like with CCFC, where everyone could see it was a train-wreck in the making but TC was the only hand on the tiller.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I think the point is that with a fan owned club the fans can at least call a halt even in some cases quite belatedly. This seems to be beginning at Bohs.

With clubs in the hands of one person they can do whatever they like no matter what the community or supporters feel about it, like with CCFC, where everyone could see it was a train-wreck in the making but TC was the only hand on the tiller.
    I know last year with the talk about Roddy Collins investing in us with his cronies this was strongly opposed by our supporters club and trust.. so it shows that fan power does work as people would have withdrawn their subscriptions to the trust if Roddie was allowed near our club..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    I remember some Cork city fans laughing on here at Dublin city folding .
    What goes around eh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Actually, isn't there a bit in the licence agreement that states a club has to be solvent (defined here as having more assets than liabilities) to get a licence? There's several clubs this clearly doesn't apply to. So the FAI are flouting their own rules in this regard.
    But there's a difference between getting a license and keeping one.

I'm not aware of any mechanism whereby a license can be removed mid-way through its valid period (i.e. the season). So you could meet the criteria, get your license, and then fall into a situation where you no longer match the criteria but still continue to the end of your license/the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Not representative of what?

There are examples of member-owned clubs being run badly, and privately owned clubs being run well, and similarly vice versa.

While you favour member clubs, it does appear that we are both in agreement that the member-owned model is not automatically a panacea. The recent progress of Shamrock Rovers indicates what is possible, but equally Bohemains remain as the stand-out illustration of how a membership can be hoodwinked or deluded into colluding with financial recklessness.

The club being embedded in the community, and the community being embedded in the club, can occur in either scenario.
    Maybe I need to be a bit clearer. For every member controlled club you can name thats gone to the wall, I'll name 5 traditional owner-shareholder clubs that have done the same.

The history of the League is littered with Tom Coughlan's who for various reasons ran clubs into the ground.

I'm not aware that's the case with member owned clubs.

As for why thats the case, transparent democracy generally tends to give oxygen to potential problems earlier.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Slightly strange statement from the FAI (as if they would or should get involved in helping in such a situation): http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...251572071.html
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    This would be the 2nd time that a Cork City FC will be wound up, the last time in the 1939/40 season, they were wound up and replaced immediately by a new club, Cork United FC which took on City's results at that point.

Page 4 of 188 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast