Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Breen

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Stutts - I have to say your memory is remarkable!!

I have probably seen the goal, was probably at the game but cant quite recall at the moment. You however always seem to recall these things from way back, be it good or bad play from a certain individual in a certain game.

Id say you'd give Jimmy Magee (sp?) a run for his money.

Either that or the gargle has severly dimmed me brain as the lyrics go in a famous song.........
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I genuinely have to rely on previous posts on this forum to jog my memory, even from the last campaign or 2. If there's an incident that I haven't talked about once since it happened then I probably won't remember it. My memory is terrible.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    One I liked was a goal at home to Malta where he was one-on-one with the keeper, he dummied, sent the keeper down and took it around him before passing into the net. Very John Aldridge.
    I remember this game well but not G Breen's goal, remember the feeling of desperation and then sheer relief as Stan slotted home a free kick for us to sneak the win. Unable to find footage of the game so far.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/1999/0909/soccer.html

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If a young lad(at the time) by the name of O'Neill(Keith) had of tracked back for a last minute corner in the next match v Macedonia we would have qualified automatically for that European Championships, oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I remember this game well but not G Breen's goal, remember the feeling of desperation and then sheer relief as Stan slotted home a free kick for us to sneak the win.
    Breen scored in both games against Malta - he got our last in a 5-0 win at Lansdowne - that's the goal Stutts is on about, where he rounded their keeper. The one he got to put us 2-0 up in Valletta (very nervy 3-2 win in the end) was a straightforward header.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    If a young lad(at the time) by the name of O'Neill(Keith) had of tracked back for a last minute corner in the next match v Macedonia we would have qualified automatically for that European Championships, oh well.
    Now that incident I remember only too well. The sickest Ive ever felt after a result. From 1st place to 3rd in the blink of an eye.

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    we snook second place - a nervy last couple of minutes in the other game saw us through to a play off against Turkey.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    we snook second place - a nervy last couple of minutes in the other game saw us through to a play off against Turkey.
    So we did!! I was in Macedonia for the final game of the group and in Bursa for the playoff.

Hence, Ive just proved my own point. My memory is no more.........

For some reason I thought the scenario was even worse than a playoff spot and that we ended up with nothing (probably the nervy ending to the Croatia/Yugoslavia game). The delight of the Macedonia fans that night was unbelieveable, you would have thought they had just won Euro200. In my defence, it is just too painful to go back and try and relive those events

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Yeah, one of the lowest points ever as an Irish fan alright.

It still has implications today I reckon, just with regard to confidence, status and possibly seeding / ranking, though I think our demise since no.1 seeding in 2004 would have been unaffected, and an easier group for 2002 wouldn't have mattered anyway. But if we'd have had a decent 2000 tournament we wouldn't have had the underdog status we had in 2002.

Totally random ramble.

My memory amazes me too and even gets me into trouble. I can't understand why other people don't remember the same things I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Compounded by the dismal playoff performance in Turkey. That match was a huge disappointment. I don't think I've ever seen a team that needed to score not create one chance in 90mins against a team of similar capabilities. The only time they threatened the Turks goal was a cross from a free kick that nearly fluked it's way in.

I think the writing may have been on the wall after Davor Suker's goal in Zagreb.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My memory amazes me too and even gets me into trouble. I can't understand why other people don't remember the same things I do.

Yeah, I'm the same EireBhoy. I was just saying to someone the other night how clearly I remember Phil Babb's goal against Italy in the 1995 World Cup Finals in Berlin and the celebrations afterward, he couldn't remember a thing

Anyway, back on topic, I do like the away strip but they might consider this if we do qualify for the World Cup Finals in South America in 2012:

Last edited by Scram; 16/07/2009 at 4:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a team that needed to score not create one chance in 90mins against a team of similar capabilities.
    Don't forget against switzerland in 2005.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    Don't forget against switzerland in 2005.
    Didn't Ian Harte miss a sitter of a header in the first few minutes of that one though. Still a poor showing though you're right.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Mr.Breen's relative intelligence (albeit 20 years ago) is doubted by some of his peers who were at a very prominent (at the time) Irish Catholic school in N.London, by his, er, maverick tendency to, amongst other foibles, wear Rangers shorts, just to annoy them....

Which didn't make him overly popular.

However, will forgive that transgression and wish him the best in his relative managerial career!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Didn't Ian Harte miss a sitter of a header in the first few minutes of that one though. Still a poor showing though you're right.
    I don't think it was a sitter, as I recall it was a header off a corner from near the penalty spot in the 6th (maybe?) minute. Should've at least hit the target though.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 16/07/2009 at 11:47 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I don't think it was a sitter, as I recall it was a header off a corner from near the penalty spot in the 6th (maybe?) minute. Should've at least hit the target though.
    Maybe. Don't think I've seen it since. I just remember it was early on and I think it was a totally free header right in the middle of the goals.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Playoff v Turkey at home in '99 I remember we were 1-0 up and Turkey got a really soft penalty when the ball hit Lee Carsley hands while he was on the ground we were actually coasting.
    I remember the second leg in Turkey there was riot police on the pitch at the end and I think Cascarino got a belt.
    Re Gary Breen when I say "superb" I mean in service to Ireland the lad would swim the Irish sea to play for Ireland he was no McGrath but always gave 100%.
    I remember away to Cyprus in the '02 campaign he was walking off the pitch at half time and Roy was in his here giving him a bollicking I think we were about 3-0 up, but that was Roy.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "in his ear" sorry terrible spelling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    I remember away to Cyprus in the '02 campaign he was walking off the pitch at half time and Roy was in his ear giving him a bollicking I think we were about 3-0 up, but that was Roy.
    He was right, we were only 2-0 up
    Last edited by DeLorean; 17/07/2009 at 10:02 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Very Good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast