Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Foley

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Starts on Saturday ahead of Kelly according to the reports below.

Overjoyed for him if true. A Premiership regular, our most consistent player for the best part of three seasons yet bizarrely overlooked. Just reward that a dedicated, conscientious attitude eventually pays dividends. Hopefully he will carry his cool, calm and composed performances on to the international scene.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/...-the-republic/
    Im still not overly convinced of his defensive ability or capabillites perhaps. Obviously very happy for him given the fact he has been around for 5 years or so and only 3 caps. I hope he takes this chance though and cements his place, if he does we really really do have competition for places in the back four. We can then have a dunnie/oshea CB partnership, with clark and foley as attacking full backs. That prospect is mouth watering, tough luck on ledger but i think we have to pick the players playing at the highest level and who are most accomplished in the positions. I do though think this hinges on how he performs when he gets his chance.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

2. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    In fairness, he has had a vastly experienced Man United player ahead of him.
    Agree with that, however not the preference of Kelly and certainly not McShane in front of him.

The Dunne/OShea Partnership is our most experienced and whereas St Ledger has formed a good partnership with Dunne, I'm surprised that this duo have not been tried out more frequently.

Only time will tell, however, I agree with Paul that a Foley - Dunne - O'Shea - Clark backline feels like our strongest to me, as long as he doesn't let the occasion get the better of him.
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Agree with that, however not the preference of Kelly and certainly not McShane in front of him.

The Dunne/OShea Partnership is our most experienced and whereas St Ledger has formed a good partnership with Dunne, I'm surprised that this duo have not been tried out more frequently.

Only time will tell, however, I agree with Paul that a Foley - Dunne - O'Shea - Clark backline feels like our strongest to me, as long as he doesn't let the occasion get the better of him.
    Thats key obviously. He was poor against Nigeria at Craven Cottage (his debut I think). Needs to hit the ground running on Saturday.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Signs new four year deal with Wolves.

Odd the article describes him as a midfielder who can also play at right back.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    He didn't quite bring his Wolves form to the last international shindig but he's certainly earned that contract. Fairly sure he made his name at right back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Apparently playing very well in the Carling Cup today according to Gillette Soccer Special, had an assist on their first goal. Picked out Ebanks-Blake with a 40 yard pass and he did the rest.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Started in central midfield for Wolves today. Played a horrible ball across midfield that was intercepted and let to Fulham going 2-0 up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I had high hopes for Foley becoming a Stephen Finnan, a late blossoming quality full back. I'm beginning to have grave doubts now. Unless a new manager like Hodgson, O'Neill or Moyes takes hold of him I'm not sure we'll see any improvement and right now his current standard probably isn't what we need. He'll be lucky to be on the plane in May / June. He probably will be, but I'd be getting nervous if I was him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    What does it say for Stephen Hunt when Foley is playing in midfield for Wolves. If I was Hunt I'd be worried, but since he is Trap's 12th man he'll be fine.

Foley hasn't looked great since returning from injury but then again neither has anyone at Wolves looked good recently.

I think one of Foley's great attributes for getting picked in the squad is his versatility but this is also his great weakness for being anywhere near a starter for us. "Jack of trades, master of none."

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    What does it say for Stephen Hunt when Foley is playing in midfield for Wolves.
    That he doesn't play in midfield?

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I had high hopes for Foley becoming a Stephen Finnan, a late blossoming quality full back. I'm beginning to have grave doubts now. Unless a new manager like Hodgson, O'Neill or Moyes takes hold of him I'm not sure we'll see any improvement and right now his current standard probably isn't what we need. He'll be lucky to be on the plane in May / June. He probably will be, but I'd be getting nervous if I was him.
    thats been his main problem when playing for us, he's been visibly shaky everytime i've seen him play. i too thought he would be a quality full back but he seems to have regressed

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That he doesn't play in midfield?
    Stephen Hunt: The man with no position.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    Stephen Hunt: The man with no position.
    he usually just puts in "extra from braveheart" for position when he's filling out his CV

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Hunt is a left sided midfielder.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Hunt is a left sided midfielder.
    Thanks for that. You better let the Wolves and Irish management know that. They appear to play him out of position an awful lot so.

From his 14 PL starts this season 7 are LM, 5 are RM and 2 are CM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    No need to be so gruff. Plenty of wide players play "inside out", in fact it's becoming quite a trend*.

I've stated many times here that Hunt doesn't have the attributes to be a CM (imho), even if some people think so. Foley playing CM is less of a surprise because, as I've opined here before as well, a good full back will have a mix of the skills to play centrally as well as wide, because developing play is very much part of a full back's remit.

* for example:
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/4975/38/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...de-out-wingers

http://www.tomwfootball.com/2011/02/...-room-to-roam/
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/03/2012 at 6:03 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    it was me saying hunt could play cm last year. i still think he'd be better than whelan in there

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I dunno bear. He'd inject some bite and ankle-snapping vitality but put on the spot I'm not sure he has the instinctive awareness that a good midfielder has. Graham Kavanagh had it in spades, but without the athleticism. Darron Gibson has it too - don't laugh! Gibson takes the ball under pressure really well, rarely turns into trouble and is rarerely dispossessed on receiving a tough pass. I doubt Hunt would be like that. Hunt is a "head-down" footballer with a decent whipped delivery from wide. Being a "head up" player is essential for a good CM. Xabi Alonso springs to mind.

22. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We have a midfield who can't hold onto the ball. Why anybody would suggest Stephen Hunt as a solution boggles my mind.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    No need to be so gruff. Plenty of wide players play "inside out", in fact it's becoming quite a trend*.

I've stated many times here that Hunt doesn't have the attributes to be a CM (imho), even if some people think so. Foley playing CM is less of a surprise because, as I've opined here before as well, a good full back will have a mix of the skills to play centrally as well as wide, because developing play is very much part of a full back's remit.

* for example:
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/4975/38/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...de-out-wingers

http://www.tomwfootball.com/2011/02/...-room-to-roam/
    Gruff? You made a booboo and were called on it. Hunt is a left-footed midfielder who plays on both wings.

Yesterday was the first time Foley played CM this season. In the three previous games he started twice at RM.

Stephen Hunt last started a PL game for Wolves on 31/12/2011.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast