Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of Irish clubs in Europe versus Scottish clubs in Europe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Bonnieshels, how dare you have your own opinion! That's just the dangerous kind of nonsense we've come to expect from from the likes of you with your ... your ... your rational, coherent posts! Down with 'em, I say!

The herd is coming, and it's calling your name: Baa-aaa-nieshels. You have been warned!
    That post doesn't really go with what you quoted. I was giving him credit. Learn to read, please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    The new found arrogance of LOI fans amuses me.
    So telling the truth is arrogance, is it true that Celtic and Rangers lost to teams that would be considered inferior to them, the answer is Yes. is it true that Shamrock Rovers beat a team that were considered better than them, the answer is Yes. Just because a fact is true does not make it arrogant, its that you are not willing to accept it as a fact. Until you do, your opinion will not be taken seriously.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    902 Posts
    You wrote:

"BTW, you must not post on Shelsweb cause they all fecking hate the Ireland team there and don't support other LOI teams in Europe! Fair play you're different mind you."

And I interpreted the bit in bold as a snide comment tagged on like a back-handed compliment. It's a little ambiguous if we can both read it so differently. If you feel I've misquoted you: sorry. You tend to throw more brickbats than bouquets and that does colour my reading of your posts.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Ah TA it was a backhanded compliment.

Cheers EG.

What the Charlie said is pretty much on the money.

For what its worth I don't post over on ShelsWeb anymore cos except on matchdays its dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Not so much backhanded, just you're a rarity for a Shels fan online. It's good to see and refreshing. I can't get Irish people who want Ireland to lose.

Eminence Grise, it's being portrayed on here that somehow Shamrock Rovers are better than Celtic or Rangers because of ONE year neither made progress into the group stages of a European tournament. I just find it funny when they're nothing. Over 90 minutes they won one game, they're lucky to be in anything but good luck to them, but the oh we're far superior to you line I'm hearing lately is amusing but bordering on irritating. I hate idiots who are above their station. They're a team of semi-professional journeymen nobody's who have their moment in the sun. When that moment is over they're back to being nobody's.
    Last edited by TiocfaidhArmani; 09/09/2011 at 4:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Not so much backhanded, just you're a rarity for a Shels fan online. It's good to see and refreshing. I can't get Irish people who want Ireland to lose.

Eminence Grise, it's being portrayed on here that somehow Shamrock Rovers are better than Celtic or Rangers because of ONE year neither made progress into the group stages of a European tournament. I just find it funny when they're nothing. Over 90 minutes they won one game, they're lucky to be in anything but good luck to them, but the oh we're far superior to you line I'm hearing lately is amusing but bordering on irritating. I hate idiots who are above their station. They're a team of semi-professional journeymen nobody's who have their moment in the sun. When that moment is over they're back to being nobody's.
    There not thou

edt: in fairness would celtics team not be considered a team or rejects and people who couldn't cut it at a higher level too
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 09/09/2011 at 4:27 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Your responses are just as petty though.

Rovers is a team that does contain some journeymen pros mixed in with players who have ambitions to make it at a higher level, players who've not had the physical attributes to make it at Premier League clubs and others who've had their careers stunted by injury. To tar them all as journeymen is as ignorant as dismissing Celtic as a bunch of Premier League and Championship rejects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Every team has a player or two that couldn't make it at a certain club, Celtic is no different. Shamrock Rovers have no players who would make it at a high level. That's why they're playing semi-professional football in the League of Ireland. We have plenty of will go on to bigger things. Emilio Izaguirre, Kayal, Hooper and Ki Sung-Yong all linked with big money moves to top clubs.

http://www.football.co.uk/manchester...s1698496.shtml

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=38718.0

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle697227.html

I had a Rovers fan tell me earlier that Tallaght Stadium was not offically as good as Celtic Park because he got a UEFA cert for the Europe League. I mean, they're losing the run of themselves down Tallaght way!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    But if they're so good why can't they win football matches? Rovers had 5 or 6 young players who are well capable of making it at a higher grade, one of whom is already on his way to Aston Villa. The Premier League and SPL in particular are full of lads who played semi-pro football in the League of Ireland. I don't know why you'd think the entire Shamrock Rovers team is incapable of joining those ranks, unless you were trying to make some half-assed hyperbolic point because a few people on the internet are picking on your favourite club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Rovers is a team that does contain some journeymen pros mixed in with players who have ambitions to make it at a higher level, players who've not had the physical attributes to make it at Premier League clubs and others who've had their careers stunted by injury. To tar them all as journeymen is as ignorant as dismissing Celtic as a bunch of Premier League and Championship rejects.
    One player didn't make it in England - Anthony Stokes. No other player failed in England or failed to get a game for their club. Gary Hooper scored more goals in the championship than Andy Carroll did and he was playing for Scunthorpe. Joe Ledley, Wilson, Hooper, Commons were all first team players for their clubs. Kris Common had 14 goals from midfield by January in the championship last season. The rest of the team are foreign or homegrown Scottish players, so no you couldn't say Celtic was made up of EPL or championship rejects, the facts say different. And three of the foreign players we imported are valued now between £8-£10 million each. We build a defence and we have a team

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just can't stand Shamrock Rovers and their fans who think they're actually something. Not long after going into administration and ripping off their creditors they were looking down their noses at others saying they were the model club because they were debt free and had just built a stadium. They forgot to mention they were not long out of administration running away from their debt and the tax payer built their stadium for them because they couldn't. Rovers have the biggest jumped up fans in the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    But if they're so good why can't they win football matches? Rovers had 5 or 6 young players who are well capable of making it at a higher grade, one of whom is already on his way to Aston Villa. The Premier League and SPL in particular are full of lads who played semi-pro football in the League of Ireland. I don't know why you'd think the entire Shamrock Rovers team is incapable of joining those ranks, unless you were trying to make some half-assed hyperbolic point because a few people on the internet are picking on your favourite club.
    We do win football matches, we lost one playing 90 minutes with 10 men. I didn't lose any sleep over it. Of course plenty of people played semi-pro football in Ireland but how long do those players need before getting out of the LOI? If they were capable most of them wouldn't still be working as a postman in the mornings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    One player didn't make it in England - Anthony Stokes. No other player failed in England or failed to get a game for their club. Gary Hooper scored more goals in the championship than Andy Carroll did and he was playing for Scunthorpe. Joe Ledley, Wilson, Hooper, Commons were all first team players for their clubs. Kris Common had 14 goals from midfield by January in the championship last season. The rest of the team are foreign or homegrown Scottish players, so no you couldn't say Celtic was made up of EPL or championship rejects, the facts say different. And three of the foreign players we imported are valued now between £8-£10 million each. We build a defence and we have a team
    Well I did say it would be ignorant. But it's safe to say Celtic aren't fighting off interest from Premier League clubs for too many of their players.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just can't stand Shamrock Rovers and their fans who think they're actually something. Not long after going into administration and ripping off their creditors they were looking down their noses at others saying they were the model club because they were debt free and had just built a stadium. They forgot to mention they were not long out of administration running away from their debt and the tax payer built their stadium for them because they couldn't. Rovers have the biggest jumped up fans in the LOI.
    Sometimes I wonder if people wouldn't prefer that Rovers just folded and left the creditors with absolutely zilch. It's an odd sort of concern that people tend to show for businesses when a rival club gets into trouble. And the council built the stadium for itself - it owns and makes money by renting it to the highest bidder, while bringing regular and much-needed commerce to one of the less wealthy areas of Dublin. These ethical discussions get rather tiresome.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

You know as well as I that no one does bitter as well as a Shels fan and I mean really bitter.

The night of the Shams game I was stuck at a wedding and flukily managed to end up beside a Shels fan and a Bohs fan. Both had zero interest in the national team. I don't understand it but hey, each to their own. And each to their own if they decide to support Birmingham (which this pair did) or Celtic or Accrington Stanley

There's no doubting your dedication to both Shels and Celtic and I do take your point re certain sections getting above their station (and don't forget we had a fair few of our own pie in the sky merchants at Tolka back in the day), but the singular point that a lot of the sane individuals on foot.ie are making is that the LOI has improved in Europe over the last few years and has made it's breakthrough; and you should welcome it because it is good for Shams, Sligo us and Finn Harps etc.; as well as the point that Scottish football has declined both domestically and in Europe. That's it.

You should just start thinking about the point you try to make and stop preaching to the converted or making yourself out as a WUM in the process.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    902 Posts

TA, I'm well aware of what has been posted. Unlike you, I'm indifferent to it. Give people here a break: for how long have LoI fans had to endure the "oh we're far superior to you line" you dislike hearing about Celtic from fans of SPL teams? How often did you hear it as a Shels fan? This season, an LoI team went further on the field of play than any SPL team. Let them, and their fans, and fans of the LoI who choose to support them, enjoy their day in the sun. They may rile you, and wind you up like a clockwork mouse - but you don't have to keep making it so easy for them.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Fair point, Eminence.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani
    Wow I wanna be like Rovers. A team with no internationals, a crappy two-ended stadium and a nothing club in world football.
    It's only a three-sided UEFA-approved stadium now. Tut tut.

There's 80 "nothing" clubs in European action this week, 79 of which earned the right to play, on the pitch. Enjoy watching them on tv, instead of in the stadium.

Every team has a player or two that couldn't make it at a certain club, Celtic is no different. We have plenty of will go on to bigger things. Emilio Izaguirre, Kayal, and Ki Sung-Yong all linked with big money moves to top clubs.
    Who??

Indeed they may go on to bigger things. They may even beat Sion.

There are plenty of posters that hate us on this forum. For some strange reason, they've all stayed away from this thread. Don't want to embarrass themselves.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    What on earth is "crappy" about Tallaght Stadium? That's quite baffling tbh.
    Also, saying that Rovers have no players that would make it at a higher level is blatantly not true. Enda Stevens is proof of this. I seem to remember their international goalkeeper leave recently for the dizzying heights of the SPL though, if that's more TA's cup of tea.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It's only a three-sided UEFA-approved stadium now. Tut tut.

There's 80 "nothing" clubs in European action this week, 79 of which earned the right to play, on the pitch. Enjoy watching them on tv, instead of in the stadium.
    I just bought my three game package the weekend for £69. £23 a game, great value. I'll be sitting in my usual seat in our world class stadium, no temporary stands or TV for me

Also, saying that Rovers have no players that would make it at a higher level is blatantly not true. Enda Stevens is proof of this. I seem to remember their international goalkeeper leave recently for the dizzying heights of the SPL though, if that's more TA's cup of tea.
    Says it all when someone who plays for Ireland's best team leaves for a crappy team like St Johnstone. That said they have decent talent like Michael Duberry and Jody Morris, have four stands for their stadium and play in a better league that gets far wider coverage and you play in Celtic Park and Ibrox four times a year. Who wouldn't leave?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I just bought my three game package the weekend for £69. £23 a game, great value. I'll be sitting in my usual seat in our world class stadium, no temporary stands or TV for me
    Will it be this week, did they qualify on the pitch and erm, is the place half-full for those 6pm ko's yet? I guess not.

Says it all when someone who plays for Ireland's best team leaves for a crappy team like St Johnstone.
    So the teams are now crap. Well, at least you're getting there.

That said they have decent talent like Michael Duberry and Jody Morris
    EPL-rejects.

you play in Celtic Park and Ibrox four times a year. Who wouldn't leave?
    They do get hockeyed in Glasgow 4 times a year, but at least they get to go to places like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, and even Inverness the rest of the year. Sure how more glamourous can it get?
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Sometimes I wonder if people wouldn't prefer that Rovers just folded and left the creditors with absolutely zilch
    Isn't that what happened in 2005?

23. Thanks From:

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast