Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Daly

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Jon Daly

I started a thread on Andy Keogh many moons ago - so here's my next future irish international , although he plays with Dundee United, i think guy has something to offer, i have seen him a couple of times , mark my words on this one!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal rover View Post
    I started a thread on Andy Keogh many moons ago - so here's my next future irish international , although he plays with Dundee United, i think guy has something to offer, i have seen him a couple of times , mark my words on this one!!

Not a bad golfer too!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I think his finest hour was scoring twice in a 3-2 U21 or U19 win over England when we were 2 down at HT. In Cork?

He's a tall old-fashioned centre forwrad I think. He had a bad injury last year. Good to see him back.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    I think I remember Niall Quinn saying a few years back that he seen Daly as the long term replacement for him in the Irish team.... that must have be 5 or 6 years ago at least
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think his finest hour was scoring twice in a 3-2 U21 or U19 win over England when we were 2 down at HT. In Cork?

He's a tall old-fashioned centre forwrad I think. He had a bad injury last year. Good to see him back.
    Jon has had a horrendous run of injuries since moving to the Arabs but is fighting fit again and more importantly notching a few goals.

To say he is ready to step up to the full international side is premature as he needs a consistent run of games and goals.

I'd love to see him get a full cap but fear plying his trade in the SPL will mitigate against his inclusion in any squads.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    He only had 3 starts last season and was out from the end of November until mid March.
    So far this season, he's had 4 starts, come off the bench twice, and notched 5 goals, including a hat trick, and 2 in his last 2 starts.
    Always seemed a likeable enough guy, but I would agree with soccerc that playing in the SPL is probably going to count against him in the long run (Noel Hunt, anyone??).
    At best he's 7th or 8th in line behind Keane, Doyle, Hunt, Keogh, Long, Stokes, Murphy, etc
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I watched Jon a couple of seasons ago at Hartlepool Utd. I can't say as he stood out at all but I didn't realise he had moved to Scotland actually and hadn't heard that particularly much about him so figured he was still around the lower leagues. I think the lad was shadowed a bit by a couple of decent strikers at the club in Adam Boyd (Now departed for Luton I think) and Joel Porter who is still there and got a hattrick on Friday night. And Richie Humphries was a star at the club also.

One of the scariest towns I have ever been to actually though the smell of hops from Cameron's brewery somewhat compensated. I really enjoyed the trip to the Victoria ground though.

At 25 years of age I'm not sure as to how much impact he might have.If he impresses at Dundee Utd there's far greater exposure but I don't think it would take him that far.

Brendan

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal rover View Post
    The first thread I can find on Andy Keogh is here:

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=2937...ght=Andy+Keogh
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    I think he meant this thread: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=44367
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I've been following this guy for a few years now since he was in the English lower leagues and I doubt he'll ever play an international, I don't think he ever played above League 1. Maybe if he moves to Celtic or the CCC he'll be considered. Not a bad player though.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I've been following this guy for a few years
    This guy is a friend of mine, was at his wedding in 2006 and spoke with him at the weekend.

Jon was a great prospect but actions by others saw him drop out of contention while at Stockport .

He has slowly rebuilt his career and I'd suggest only for his cruciate injury and then ankle fracture he'd be knocking on the door of the B team.

Hopefully he continues to impress and score at Dundee United.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Absolute bargain in football manager in the CCC
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I think he meant this thread: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=44367
    Ah yes, but a year after the previous thread so he didn't discover him
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Good luck to him, especially if this happens. Especially to that club which is legally and morally bankrupt...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21662662

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    will Rangers be able to afford his wages? Surely he'll be the highest paid player in whatever league they are in next season?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Rangers have plenty of money. Sure they have Kevin Kyle already and some other high-earners. It would be a pitiful lack of ambition on his part though since it would probably be the end of his career at a high level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    They're £7m in debt already and that's just life in div 4, which they are strolling.
    You'd think they would have some level of prudence, just to spend enough to get through each level. How difficult can it be to balance the books with their support base, playing against bakers, plumbers and postmen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    They're £7m in debt already and that's just life in div 4, which they are strolling.
    Really?! Do you have a source for that?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You'd think they would have some level of prudence, just to spend enough to get through each level. How difficult can it be to balance the books with their support base, playing against bakers, plumbers and postmen?
    No, they made a £7m loss, they still have a eight-figure cash surplus on account of writing off all their old debt and floating the newco. I'm not sure how much of the loss is related to buying the oldco's assets and settling certain footballing debts but I'd be willing to wager a lot of it relates to old transfer fees and settling contracts.

The new club IS spending big money on players but this is a calculated risk against the potential financial calamity of not winning successive promotions.

21. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast