Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Obafemi F Burnley b.2000

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Awful decision by Swansea not to let him go in August. It's cost them about a million quid for every goal he's scored since then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Yeah of course, it's risky.
    To try and better explain my point, Swansea have no leg to stand on in the negotiations as they clearly have to sell. They have the entire window to get the best deal they can. It looks like they are going to be patient and see if they can get a better offer in the next 3 weeks.

But you'd assume they'll just have to take whatever the best offer is come deadline day. The closer they are to the deadline the less leverage other teams will have as the buying team will also have a sense of urgency to a deal done.

But at the same time I've no idea how any of it works so maybe everything I've just said is absolute nonsense.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    I wouldn't say awful decision at the time. Burnley came in on deadline day trying to buy their starting CF which left Swansea no time to sort any replacements if they did consider selling.

Just looks a poor decision now because they'll likely get half what Burnley offered in the summer and Obafemi was nowhere near the player that he was at the start of the year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    Yeah of course, it's risky.
    To try and better explain my point, Swansea have no leg to stand on in the negotiations as they clearly have to sell. They have the entire window to get the best deal they can. It looks like they are going to be patient and see if they can get a better offer in the next 3 weeks.

But you'd assume they'll just have to take whatever the best offer is come deadline day. The closer they are to the deadline the less leverage other teams will have as the buying team will also have a sense of urgency to a deal done.

But at the same time I've no idea how any of it works so maybe everything I've just said is absolute nonsense.
    They'll get a better offer from Burnley. Makes sense for them to low ball starting out and work their way up to 4m let's say rather than come straight in with 4m and have Swansea possibly turn it down hoping to get more if Burnley were willing to start at 4m. Would be somewhat confident he'll be a Burnley player before the months finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Sad to think that the one player who looks to have the ability out of anyone talked about or seen in the last few years just doesn't have the attitude to match. Maybe just a sign of the type of character(s) being produced nowadays.
    Quote from his manager
    "I absolutely love the kid. It's just difficult sometimes because of the situation.

I can't believe the stuff being written about a lad who has scored a couple of Ireland's best goals ever and is simply a striker with an ego.

I remember watching an interview with Robbie when he was 17:
    "Who are ya playing next week, Robbie?
    I dunno....but I'll probably score against them!"

Let the goalscoring forward have a big ego and hope he gets the right move. FFS!

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'd say Robbies application was never called into question. No issues with an Ego. Well I do but I'll make exception for a guy who can score lots of goals for Ireland!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I'd say Robbies application was never called into question. No issues with an Ego. Well I do but I'll make exception for a guy who can score lots of goals for Ireland!
    Brian O'Driscoll and Robbie Keane were both captains of Ireland at same time. It was unbelievable the amount of people I knew that at the time said they didnt like Robbie because he was too cocky and he should be more like O'Driscoll. Even today I think Robbie doesn't get the respect he deserves.

On Obafemi, I wouldnt rule out the possibility that he acted the b0llix a bit this season to make sure that Swansea were forced to sell him. Burnley probably guaranteed him they would be back in for him after it didnt happen on deadline day and its in their interest if he did all he could to keep the price down. IF he had gone and scored 10 goals his price would be double. Clubs screw players over all the time so I dont have an issue when a player makes a decision to help himself.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Brian O'Driscoll and Robbie Keane were both captains of Ireland at same time. It was unbelievable the amount of people I knew that at the time said they didnt like Robbie because he was too cocky and he should be more like O'Driscoll. Even today I think Robbie doesn't get the respect he deserves.

On Obafemi, I wouldnt rule out the possibility that he acted the b0llix a bit this season to make sure that Swansea were forced to sell him. Burnley probably guaranteed him they would be back in for him after it didnt happen on deadline day and its in their interest if he did all he could to keep the price down. IF he had gone and scored 10 goals his price would be double. Clubs screw players over all the time so I dont have an issue when a player makes a decision to help himself.
    I agree with your take here on Obafemi. He owes Swansea nothing. Burnley was a great move at a good price at the time. I give him the benefit of the doubt on that basis. He needs to prove himself there fairly quick though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Yeah a bit of an ego is grand if you're backing it up. Keane wasn't that bad anyway. He's not the brightest lad but saying you're going to score goals as a striker is just saying what your job is. Obafemi seems to have different issues though. Keane wanted to play football. Does Obafemi?

Hope this one pans out for the kid. It would be nice if one of him and Connolly could turn things around.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Yeah a bit of an ego is grand if you're backing it up. Keane wasn't that bad anyway. He's not the brightest lad but saying you're going to score goals as a striker is just saying what your job is. Obafemi seems to have different issues though. Keane wanted to play football. Does Obafemi?

Hope this one pans out for the kid. It would be nice if one of him and Connolly could turn things around.
    Obafemi wants to play football, just not for Swansea! Who knows what happened on deadline day, he might have been guaranteed a move only for them to change their mind last minute. If I was in a job who I feel took advantage of me or messed me around Im not sure how inclined Id be to want to work for them anymore.

Im not saying thats definitely what happened, and there is a history of issues with him from his Southampton days too, Im just saying that I dont think its as simple as this fella has a bad attitude and doesnt want to play football.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Burnley have agreed a fee for South African striker Lyle Foster (22, 1.85m) of Belgian club KVC Westerlo; 21 appearances(17 starts), 8 goals and 4 assists. I wonder if Kompany's interest in Obafemi has cooled?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Burnley need a couple of strikers. Barnes and Rodriguez are out of contract in the summer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Good move for Obafemi and some talk it's a loan with an obligation to buy for £4m. Having his medical today going by reports.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Seems like a good move on the face of it, but will he play regularly/settle?

We'll have to see. He's an exciting talent with the capacity to score out of nothing - useful given the passive, rather impotent brand of football we're playing these days.

The knock-on effect may be that Ogbene leaves relegation-threatened Rotherham for Swansea, which would be a very positive move from an Irish point of view.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on between now and May. He can't really afford to leave a third club under a cloud at his age. I think he's done well to get the move all things considered; up to him to make it work now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He's a talented lad, no doubt about it. That's why he keeps getting chances, despite everything. Pacy, a good passer and a genuine goalscorer - that combination will always keep clubs interested. But at the same time, if he's not professional off the field, Burnley will bomb him out of the squad quickly enough. He has four months now to show he's worth another go in the Premier League, in a team that will make plenty of chances for him. Up to him to take this massive opportunity he's being given.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Seems like a good move on the face of it, but will he play regularly/settle?

We'll have to see. He's an exciting talent with the capacity to score out of nothing - useful given the passive, rather impotent brand of football we're playing these days.

The knock-on effect may be that Ogbene leaves relegation-threatened Rotherham for Swansea, which would be a very positive move from an Irish point of view.
    Start regularly probably not but regular minutes off the bench to begin with I'd say. Kompany probably trying to get this pushed through now to get him in so he can settle into the Burnley way and up to speed for next season.

Burnley wouldn't need to make any signings this month and would still walk the league. What's being done now is Burnley getting their business done now rather than in the summer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    A bit more background to the 'try before you buy' Burnley approach for Obafemi: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footba...mi-to-burnley-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    You'd imagine Kompany isn't the type of manager to take any sh*te from his players and could well be the right manager at the right time for Obafemi. Great move for him.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I cant access that at work, but would it just make sense given Burnely were relegated and had those financial issues they could offer an agreed fee that would be paid by the summer when Promotion and payments inline with promotion come in they can actually make the payment? As part of that paying wages and perhaps offering a bit more would tie the agreement over until summer.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast