Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Luca Connell (D/M Barnsley b.2001)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    I get what you're saying but I think you almost have to completely separate the two Mick eras. Mick 1.0 was a young up and coming manager, his Irish teams played good football compared to what had come before and a lot of what came afterwards.

Mick 2.0 was a grizzled veteran with a very different and much more conservative approach to the game. I was very disappointed with the way he set us up second time around. Granted he didn't have the same quality of players available to him but he really had changed as a manager in the time between when he left and when he came back, and not for the better. It was conservative almost beyond belief.

I'm very much on the fence in terms of Kenny, but I do appreciate what he's doing in terms of blooding the younger lads, I don't think it's a given that Mick or another manager would have done it to the same extent. My concern with Kenny remains his match day abilities - formation and in game changes - he seems slow to learn on both.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Don't think Kelleher or Bazunu would be playing but Travers was in Mick's squad and would have taken the no.1 jersey from Randolph.

Randolph and Kelleher would be second and third choice with Bazunu probably starting for the U21s last year.

Similar I think Omobamidele would have mostly played with the U21s but Mick is definitely bringing him to that training camp last summer. Going on the fact he had us playing four at the you had Clark, Duffy, Egan, O'Shea. Don't think he would have pulled Omobamidele out of the U21s last season as he didn't play much at club level. Kevin Long had more minutes in the league.

I would be in the fanboy club for my views regarding Kenny and the job, but it is silly to suggest Mick wouldn't have used the young players, and has given more minutes to the likes of Jack Byrne even. The big stat from the Scotland game was it was 25 years since two players aged 21 or under scored in a competitive game for Ireland. The last two being Mark Kennedy and David Connolly in a WC qualifier I believe. I'm sure Tets could provide it but believe that happened again earlier in Mick's first reign too.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    . The big stat from the Scotland game was it was 25 years since two players aged 21 or under scored in a competitive game for Ireland. The last two being Mark Kennedy and David Connolly in a WC qualifier I believe. I'm sure Tets could provide it but believe that happened again earlier in Mick's first reign too.
    Keith O'Neill and Ian Harte away against Liechtenstein maybe?

Or was O'Neill that bit older?

Have to remember McCarthy's task was to get to Euro 2020, not blood new players.

Also, many of the guys we have now weren't really ready when they started playing senior internationals (which partly explains our dire qualification campaign) and would have been even less so under Mick.

I don't buy into the "Randolph would still be around" argument, but it can never be proven either way, so it's great forum material

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

Mick 2.0 was a grizzled veteran with a very different and much more conservative approach to the game. I was very disappointed with the way he set us up second time around. Granted he didn't have the same quality of players available to him but he really had changed as a manager in the time between when he left and when he came back, and not for the better. It was conservative almost beyond belief.

I'm very much on the fence in terms of Kenny, but I do appreciate what he's doing in terms of blooding the younger lads, I don't think it's a given that Mick or another manager would have done it to the same extent. My concern with Kenny remains his match day abilities - formation and in game changes - he seems slow to learn on both.
    The quality of player was very much lower, so much lower from 20 years ago but blame Delaney for Mick possibly going very defensive. Think it's a given he had changed as he wasn't working with the same calibre of players at club level as he had with his first stint and club football is more ruthless and cut throat managers do become more conservative when the quality is lower.

Man was brought in to do one job and one job only which was try qualify for the Euros and the fact he got an extra million quid for just seeing out his contract I can only picture the bonus in his contract had we actually made it. Wouldn't blame the lad for trying to draw his way to the tournament with the money he was getting.

Had he been giving a longer contract he would have given younger players games for definite. Not to the extent Kenny has rushed lads through but young players playing regularly wouldn't have been ignored.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

I don't buy into the "Randolph would still be around" argument, but it can never be proven either way, so it's great forum material
    I think Randolph would have still been around. He's not playing fair enough but do think Mick would have wanted an experienced keeper in the squad as back up to Travers and Kelleher. O'Hara was the other keeper in Mick's squad and can't think of any other senior keepers that would have acted as back up over him.

If he wasn't injured in last year for Marches games there's a good chance he would have started again in September.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    . The big stat from the Scotland game was it was 25 years since two players aged 21 or under scored in a competitive game for Ireland. The last two being Mark Kennedy and David Connolly in a WC qualifier I believe. I'm sure Tets could provide it but believe that happened again earlier in Mick's first reign too.
    Keith O'Neill and Ian Harte away against Liechtenstein maybe?

Or was O'Neill that bit older?

Have to remember McCarthy's task was to get to Euro 2020, not blood new players.

Also, many of the guys we have now weren't really ready when they started playing senior internationals (which partly explains our dire qualification campaign) and would have been even less so under Mick.

I checked it out a few days after the Scotland game. Two players aged 21, or less, have scored in competitive games for Ireland in only five games. Strangely enough, the Scotland game was the first time it happened in a home game

(PS in case you're wondering why there's no "days" value after Harte against Liechtenstein in 1996, it's because it was his birthday!)
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/06/2022 at 9:53 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Don't think Kelleher or Bazunu would be playing but Travers was in Mick's squad and would have taken the no.1 jersey from Randolph.

Randolph and Kelleher would be second and third choice with Bazunu probably starting for the U21s last year.

Similar I think Omobamidele would have mostly played with the U21s but Mick is definitely bringing him to that training camp last summer. Going on the fact he had us playing four at the you had Clark, Duffy, Egan, O'Shea. Don't think he would have pulled Omobamidele out of the U21s last season as he didn't play much at club level. Kevin Long had more minutes in the league.

I would be in the fanboy club for my views regarding Kenny and the job, but it is silly to suggest Mick wouldn't have used the young players, and has given more minutes to the likes of Jack Byrne even. The big stat from the Scotland game was it was 25 years since two players aged 21 or under scored in a competitive game for Ireland. The last two being Mark Kennedy and David Connolly in a WC qualifier I believe. I'm sure Tets could provide it but believe that happened again earlier in Mick's first reign too.
    Mention of Kelleher and Travers in the same sentence and it got me thinking that 3 months ago I would have said Travers was way ahead in that particular duel for the Ireland number two shirt (both behind Baz). But now I feel quite comfortable with Kelleher starting. The lad is brilliant with his footwork and distribution of the ball

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Mention of Kelleher and Travers in the same sentence and it got me thinking that 3 months ago I would have said Travers was way ahead in that particular duel for the Ireland number two shirt (both behind Baz). But now I feel quite comfortable with Kelleher starting. The lad is brilliant with his footwork and distribution of the ball
    It’s a really important point that has been missed by one or two referencing Kelleher’s “ok” performances in the last two games. He’s so much more than a stopper of shots. What he offers and has learned at Liverpool is a different role for the goalkeeper as an integral component in retaining possession and initiating moves and attacks. He’s a footballer as well as a goalkeeper. I think Bazunu could well develop similar attributes, but that isn’t what he’s been coached or expected to whilst at Rochdale and Portsmouth. Being comfortable with the ball and productive with the ball aren’t the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I get what you're saying but I think you almost have to completely separate the two Mick eras. Mick 1.0 was a young up and coming manager, his Irish teams played good football compared to what had come before and a lot of what came afterwards.

Mick’s brief was to try and qualify us. Kenny was to come in after and try to put his stamp on the squad
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Starts today for Barnsley. Great to see!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Assisted both of their goals as well I think. If not playing football at an anyways serious level for about three years is the Celtic effect then this must be the leaving Celtic effect.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Good to see, hopefully he will have a good season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Flicking through the Barnsley forum confirms what many of us thought about him, nice player, can pick a pass, but lacks pace and dynamism to be a top midfielder. Always reminded me of Stephen McPhail, I suspect he will carve out a reasonable lower tier career but won’t become a player of note for our international side

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Flicking through the Barnsley forum confirms what many of us thought about him, nice player, can pick a pass, but lacks pace and dynamism to be a top midfielder. Always reminded me of Stephen McPhail, I suspect he will carve out a reasonable lower tier career but won’t become a player of note for our international side
    Stephen mcphail was an exceptional player. Illness and injury unfortunately we're the issue

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    McPhail was unlucky to be an old fashioned playmaker in an era when the game was all about box to box all action midfielders. Connell may well suffer the same fate but there again he might become the next Thiago Alcantara.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Pity he moved to Celtic when he did. Played no senior football until March 2021 when they sent him to League Two in Scotland. Also saw him bulk up and whether that was his personal training or not he's looked awkward since. Might have been scrawny while at Bolton but could move about the pitch at ease. Looked like a duck waddling around the pitch when called up to the 21s last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    With the WC happening you tend to forget about the games still going on. This goal from Luca in Barnsleys 2-1 win over Peterborough is well worth a watch. Jack Taylor scored a tidy header too.

https://youtu.be/Ml1dlm3ywck

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    With the WC happening you tend to forget about the games still going on.
    Not me Stu, collected a nice few bob on an away win there last night
    Taylors late arrival run was very well timed. Him and his midfield partners are under scrutiny again as both Barnsley shooters had time for a nice cup of tea before lining up their shot in this one & this isn't the first time.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    With the WC happening you tend to forget about the games still going on. This goal from Luca in Barnsleys 2-1 win over Peterborough is well worth a watch. Jack Taylor scored a tidy header too.

https://youtu.be/Ml1dlm3ywck
    Still have a feeling Connell my yet prove Celtic wrong in their assessment of his potential

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Not me Stu, collected a nice few bob on an away win there last night
    Taylors late arrival run was very well timed. Him and his midfield partners are under scrutiny again as both Barnsley shooters had time for a nice cup of tea before lining up their shot in this one & this isn't the first time.
    Did you go? Pie? Bovril?

Does Taylor have it in him?

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast