Thread: Stephen Kenny

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are you asking for a poll on the poll?

I'd like to see a poll on that before giving my view..

I think Yes, No, Unsure but thinking no, and Unsure but thinking yes would do it? (Question being should he start the Euro qualification campaign as manager)
    How about, is SK

A - a messianic Godhead of soccerball destined to be unappreciated in his own time a bit like Van Gogh
    B - a modern day Houdini who goes home and just laughs solidly after every game
    C - a three card trickster snake oil salesman of the lowest kind
    D - an English spy
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Did Randolph play in the 2020 nations league? Whelan was 36 and his legs were gone. Who would you have, Whelan or Cullen? Again, Kenny had virtually the same squad as McCarthy but with the addition of talented youngsters. Stronger squad but weaker results.

And at the end of the day that's the bottom line. We can give our opinions on whether the players are good enough etc but when it comes to results they are all fact based. The facts show that Kenny has overseen the worst spell of any Irish manager for decades. Worse than Staunton. He has had 4 failures as Irish manager and has come closer to rock bottom than top in all groups he's overseen. These facts can't be overlooked. We also have to look at the fall in our rankings, making it harder for future campaigns, along with the fall in revenue from repeated failures. This leaves his position untenable in my view and hopefully the FAI see it that way as well.

I'd have premiership regulars or even players who had gotten to that level and who still had enough in the tank over what we have now if I was prioritizing short term results. Most people would I'd think?

Interesting use of time complexities there.... Cullen now v Whelan then is it? Or Cullen then v Whelan then? Or Whelan now vs Cullen when his legs are going? Kenny "had virtually the same squad with the addition of talented youngsters"? No he didn't. Time matters. Mick got the last best efforts of the old guard. He did ok in doing so. But they were spent by the time Kenny took over and they soon departed the scene. We all knew there would be a drop when the last of our decent players bit the dust. Even lads like Duffy who might have played a big part had issues that kept them from doing son.

You'd be more interesting to discuss things with if you didn't say you were stating facts when you weren't by the way. You were stating your opinions. SkStu gave you the facts. Mick's squad had more players playing at a higher level and with more experience so that in my opinion made his team stronger. As I said, he had a spine of proper senior footballers. We don't now. We have one or two defenders with experience and it shows when we switch off.

You're also putting a lot of pressure on this young and developed talent that Kenny has available all of a sudden. Are you claiming the players we have coming through, who are on loan at Championship or L1 level are of elite international quality already? What manager could possibly have gotten them to that level so quickly given they haven't had consistent club mgmt?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Well I've used facts to show that Kenny has had a similar level squad to his predecessor and now has a superior squad to his predecessor.
    Well no, no you haven't Boomers. You have given an opinion, which you would like to be factual, very much I'm sure. But it remains an opinion, one which you are very much entitled to hold but not as far as to present it as fact re respective squad comparability.

This is where you let yourself down & we look for more personal growth in your contributions, and can see you are trying. Very.

But they remain opinions.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    How about, is SK

A - a messianic Godhead of soccerball destined to be unappreciated in his own time a bit like Van Gogh
    B - a modern day Houdini who goes home and just laughs solidly after every game
    C - a three card trickster snake oil salesman of the lowest kind
    D - an English spy
    D of course. Get an honest spanish speaking football manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I'd have premiership regulars or even players who had gotten to that level and who still had enough in the tank over what we have now if I was prioritizing short term results. Most people would I'd think?

Interesting use of time complexities there.... Cullen now v Whelan then is it? Or Cullen then v Whelan then? Or Whelan now vs Cullen when his legs are going? Kenny "had virtually the same squad with the addition of talented youngsters"? No he didn't. Time matters. Mick got the last best efforts of the old guard. He did ok in doing so. But they were spent by the time Kenny took over and they soon departed the scene. We all knew there would be a drop when the last of our decent players bit the dust. Even lads like Duffy who might have played a big part had issues that kept them from doing son.

You'd be more interesting to discuss things with if you didn't say you were stating facts when you weren't by the way. You were stating your opinions. SkStu gave you the facts. Mick's squad had more players playing at a higher level and with more experience so that in my opinion made his team stronger. As I said, he had a spine of proper senior footballers. We don't now. We have one or two defenders with experience and it shows when we switch off.

You're also putting a lot of pressure on this young and developed talent that Kenny has available all of a sudden. Are you claiming the players we have coming through, who are on loan at Championship or L1 level are of elite international quality already? What manager could possibly have gotten them to that level so quickly given they haven't had consistent club mgmt?
    Elite international quality hahahahhahahahahahaha.

What a ridiculous comment. Anyone playing regularly at League 1 and especially Championship level should be ready for international football, especially at the level Ireland play.

Bulgaria - not elite, poor
    Finland - not elite, poor
    Slovakia - not elite, average
    Wales - not elite, average
    Finland -not elite, poor
    England second string - semi-elite
    Wales -not elite, average
    Serbia - not elite, average
    Luxembourg - not elite, poor
    Qatar - not elite, poor
    Andorra - not elite, terrible
    Hungary - not elite, average
    Portugal - elite
    Azerbaijan - not elite, poor
    Qatar - not elite, poor
    Portugal - elite
    Belgium - second string but elite
    Lithuania - not elite, poor
    Armenia - not elite, poor
    Ukraine - not elite, average
    Scotland - not elite, average

We?ve played one elite team, and 2 elite teams second strings.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Theyre no great shakes Bill.

10. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

What are you talking about? Kenny took over when the players Mick used were in their prime, most of them between 27 and 29, Randolph was the oldest at 33. That's young these days as we see many players going later into their 30's than we've seen previously. On top of these players, he had a list of young players breaking through, I've already listed them (Bazunu, Kelleher, Collins, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Molumby, Idah, Obafemi, Knight, Ogbene). He couldn't have been dealt a better hand really. And I'm not even going to entertain this nonsense that because a player got relegated with a club he became a worse player. Collins got relegated with Burnley, does that mean he's a better player because he got signed by Wolves a few months later?

It's been vital for Kenny supporters to try to paint us as minnows, whipping boys with an aging squad in need of total transformation. The actual facts are that Kenny inherited a squad competing with top level teams like Denmark and Switzerland, he had an abundance of young players making breakthroughs with their clubs and he's made a complete balls of it. The evidence for this is the results and league tables. No amount of spinning from Kenny supporters can cover that up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Well no, no you haven't Boomers. You have given an opinion, which you would like to be factual, very much I'm sure. But it remains an opinion, one which you are very much entitled to hold but not as far as to present it as fact re respective squad comparability.

This is where you let yourself down & we look for more personal growth in your contributions, and can see you are trying. Very.

But they remain opinions.
    I've given the facts above again. Unfortunately for you zoomy, results and players ages aren't based on opinions. I can see that you're not a poster to debate honestly so I will see if I can figure out how to put you on my ignore list. Take care.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post

What a ridiculous comment. Anyone playing regularly at League 1 and especially Championship level should be ready for international football, especially at the level Ireland play.

Finland -not elite, poor
    Qatar - not elite, poor
    Portugal - elite
    Qatar - not elite, poor
    Portugal - elite

When you list it like that, it really shows how bad Kenny's record has been.

P 28 W 7 D 11 L 10

For comparison, his predecessor played against 2 elite teams home and away and only lost 1 game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    serbia were much better than portugal.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    They blow hot and cold in fairness (as do Portugal I guess), but yeah, if the scale is elite -> average -> poor -> terrible, it's about the only one I'd query (along with Finland, who should be average, not poor)

But I think the point is still valid that we have faced very few top sides given the two Nations League campaigns and England/Belgium changing a full XI against us.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They blow hot and cold in fairness (as do Portugal I guess), but yeah, if the scale is elite -> average -> poor -> terrible, it's about the only one I'd query (along with Finland, who should be average, not poor)

But I think the point is still valid that we have faced very few top sides given the two Nations League campaigns and England/Belgium changing a full XI against us.
    There's a big gap between Elite and Average IMO
    From the FIFA rankings - https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...dateId=id13750 - I reckon that you could have the top 15 in the world as elite, the next 20(ie ranked 16-35) as good, the next 30(36-65) as average, then the remainder split between poor (66-100) and terrible (> 100)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Just basing it on the current world rankings linked above because I don't know how to find out past rankings. These are the rankings of the 7 teams we've managed to beat under Kenny:

Scotland 45
    Qatar 48
    Armenia 92
    Luxembourg 93
    Azerbaijan 128
    Lithuania 142
    Andorra 152

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post

Finland -not elite, poor
    Qatar - not elite, poor
    Portugal - elite
    Qatar - not elite, poor
    Portugal - elite

A great example of why this place devolves into nonsense.

The argument was being made that we have a batch of wonderful talent coming through that makes our squad stronger than it was under McCarthy. A list of our recent opponents is at best a tangential response. Are you saying Kenny has played weaker teams so our young talent should be able to accelerate their development?

We are playing a L1 right back as our most creative midfielder and none of our strikers are in any way developed. We have a 20 year old in goals and if we want to pick a more senior player we have to go with a lad who watches football from the bench most weeks. We have lost experience. Experience is important. We make stupid mistakes and concede stupid goals out of nowhere due to a lack of it. Do you need a whiteboard session?

Nobody is arguing that Kenny still shouldn't be beating some of the teams you've listed off in your response. If you actually read the thread and responded in good faith it would make for a more a more interesting debate.

As I said earlier, I'd be ok if Kenny was replaced. I just don't know how much more another manager would get out of the current squad. It should be stronger in 2-3 years. At that point it might be a more tempting job. But we are relying on some key players going up a few levels. If we could coax an Anthony Barry or similar into taking the job I'd be up for that at this point. But at the moment, it's not an ideal role and we can't pay above the odds. Easier to just let it ride. We are getting decent shifts out of players who will be critical in 2024 - Bazunu, Collins, Egan, Cullen, Knight, Molumby, Obafemi....hopefully one or two others. It's the core of a team that might do something. It could still use some experience.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 30/09/2022 at 3:54 PM.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    A great example of why this place devolves into nonsense.

The argument was being made that we have a batch of wonderful talent coming through that makes our squad stronger than it was under McCarthy. A list of our recent opponents is at best a tangential response. Are you saying Kenny has played weaker teams so our young talent should be able to accelerate their development?

We are playing a L1 right back as our most creative midfielder and none of our strikers are in any way developed. We have a 20 year old in goals and if we want to pick a more senior player we have to go with a lad who watches football from the bench most weeks. We have lost experience. Experience is important. We make stupid mistakes and concede stupid goals out of nowhere due to a lack of it. Do you need a whiteboard session?

Nobody is arguing that Kenny still shouldn't be beating some of the teams you've listed off in your response. If you actually read the thread and responded in good faith it would make for a more a more interesting debate.

As I said earlier, I'd be ok if Kenny was replaced. I just don't know how much more another manager would get out of the current squad. It should be stronger in 2-3 years. At that point it might be a more tempting job. But we are relying on some key players going up a few levels. If we could coax an Anthony Barry or similar into taking the job I'd be up for that at this point. But at the moment, it's not an ideal role and we can't pay above the odds. Easier to just let it ride. We are getting decent shifts out of players who will be critical in 2024 - Bazunu, Collins, Egan, Cullen, Knight, Molumby, Obafemi....hopefully one or two others. It's the core of a team that might do something. It could still use some experience.
    I'm not sure who this post was aimed at, you seem flustered.

Kenny inherited the same squad that McCarthy had. They were mostly between 27 and 29 when he took over. In their prime. He had the opportunity to blend the youngsters in with this squad for the past 2 years. It wasn't a rebuilding job the Kenny supporters are desperate to paint. The results from the teams we faced have been appalling, the teams have been listed for you by Weldoninho.

The right thing is for Kenny to be replaced. Trying to claim that no one else is available or wants the job is another tactic used by desperate Kenny supporters. It's nonsense just like the rest of the weak defence put forward for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Just basing it on the current world rankings linked above because I don't know how to find out past rankings. These are the rankings of the 7 teams we've managed to beat under Kenny:

Scotland 45
    Qatar 48
    Armenia 92
    Luxembourg 93
    Azerbaijan 128
    Lithuania 142
    Andorra 152
    The date drop down box on the right on the world rankings shows the dates each of the previous rankings were announced.
    To get the ranking of a side on a particular date, select the nearest date before that date
    e.g. the 3-0 win over Scotland was Saturday, 11th June 2022.
    From the drop down box on the rankings page, the last rankings before that date were announced on 31 Mar 2022 - Scotland were 39th, we were 47th

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Eloratings.net also has a list of all matches with the rankings afterwards noted, as well as the movement from the match, so you can quickly work out the ranking before the match

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    I'm not sure who this post was aimed at, you seem flustered.

Kenny inherited the same squad that McCarthy had. They were mostly between 27 and 29 when he took over. In their prime. He had the opportunity to blend the youngsters in with this squad for the past 2 years. It wasn't a rebuilding job the Kenny supporters are desperate to paint. The results from the teams we faced have been appalling, the teams have been listed for you by Weldoninho.

The right thing is for Kenny to be replaced. Trying to claim that no one else is available or wants the job is another tactic used by desperate Kenny supporters. It's nonsense just like the rest of the weak defence put forward for him.
    I replied to the post it was aimed at. Why did that confuse you?

That you don't recognize we had a rebuild on the cards says a lot about your ability to comprehend the situation to be honest. Who are these players in their prime that Kenny had by the way? Hendrick? Not exactly a lad I'd build a team around.

We lost experience and the job was to replace that with unproven players, some with a lot of potential but all with very few games under their belts. If you think Mick would have done better while sliding the FAI into further debt that's grand. I don't. He gets sacked everywhere he goes for a reason and the football he plays wouldn't have suited what we currently have. We have no centre forward to hold the ball up and Duffy went off the boil for a long time. It's debatable that he's even back to the levels he was at under Mick when we relied on him so much. It's a moot point anyway. We can't afford to hire Mick or anyone like him......although at this stage maybe he'd do it for free just to keep busy.

I would replace Kenny now if someone popped up who we could afford, who would do a better job of making sure our lack of experience doesn't cough up long range goals from the right side of midfield. That's an actual issue we have that needs a response and Kenny or the players seem unable to adjust for it. For me that's down to a lack of experience in midfield and defence. Even Whelan at 36 with no legs would do a better job of closing down those Armenian attacks. Arguably the best of the young talent Kenny has at his disposal that you claim to be better than what Mick had actually operate in that area i.e. Collins, Cullen, Molumby and yet here we are having conceded multiple goals like that against poor teams. Why? Do you think Kenny tells the team to switch off for periods in games? Or could it be that they are either not that great or not that experienced yet?
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 30/09/2022 at 5:24 PM.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The date drop down box on the right on the world rankings shows the dates each of the previous rankings were announced.
    To get the ranking of a side on a particular date, select the nearest date before that date
    e.g. the 3-0 win over Scotland was Saturday, 11th June 2022.
    From the drop down box on the rankings page, the last rankings before that date were announced on 31 Mar 2022 - Scotland were 39th, we were 47th
    Thanks. So to update my post, the rankings of the teams Kenny has beaten:

Scotland 39
    Qatar 43
    Armenia 92
    Luxembourg 94
    Azerbaijan 119
    Lithuania 137
    Andorra 158