Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    The Bohs job is probably as tough as there is in the country now,the expectation from the supporters is there but the squad is miles off Rovers and probably Derry and Pats aswell ,huge job for any manager to get them closer to those teams….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if they let Croly and Pender see out the remainder of the season. Who knows, things might pick up with Long gone. And if not, they still have the off season to find a replacement.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they let Croly and Pender see out the remainder of the season. Who knows, things might pick up with Long gone. And if not, they still have the off season to find a replacement.
    My sentiment too. Take their time and find the right man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Told by (usually close to the mark) person that's pretty close to Bohs currently, though not a member or fan, that there was some inflighting over the decision to axe Long before this weekend and that the reason for timing is that prior to this week 2 possible replacements were sounded (so not at all being actually approached)and 1 required a firm move on KL before any talks. Wouldnt say who or even if they were from LoI circles but I got the impression that they werent and got a flinch when Irish League mentioned. Make of that what you will. Possibilities?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Paul Doolin will be raging when he doesn't get this job.....

I also wonder would Andy Myler be on their shortlist. I know UCD fans on here don't seem to rate him, but he has high enough stock it seems outside of UCD. Maybe the connection with Rovers will be too much for Bohs tho.

----

One thing I do not get from Bohs is why sign so many players mid-season only to sack the manager who presumably brought them in a month later. If you are going to bring players in under Long, it is unfair to expect much from a team in near enough preseason against settled teams in the middle of theirs. Either you were building for next season or that was a silly plan- it's very hard to bring in a nearly new 11 in the middle of the year and expect them to gel right away and get results. Now a new manager would probably want to bring in his own players, and the past window was for nothing.

Long should have been let go before the window, to allow a new manager time to bring in his own players and build for the next year. Just bad footballing decisions from the club from the outside for me.. They seemed unwilling to make the hard call.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Wouldnt say who or even if they were from LoI circles but I got the impression that they werent and got a flinch when Irish League mentioned. Make of that what you will. Possibilities?
    Interesting thought. Doolin aside, who else could they tempt? There probably aren't too many who would consider a move.

Gary Hamilton, who's at Glenavon, or maybe Oran Kearney from Coleraine.
    Healy won't leave Linfield, and Baxter is basically Crues manager for life at this point. McDermott at Glens has had loads of jobs, but is finally back home, so not sure he'd move.
    I'd discount the rest.

Given a choice, Paddy McLaughlin could be a great signing, but not sure he'd leave Cliftonville at present.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Graham Coughlan linked today. Seems to have done ok in England.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Interesting thought. Doolin aside, who else could they tempt? There probably aren't too many who would consider a move.

Gary Hamilton, who's at Glenavon, or maybe Oran Kearney from Coleraine.
    Healy won't leave Linfield, and Baxter is basically Crues manager for life at this point. McDermott at Glens has had loads of jobs, but is finally back home, so not sure he'd move.
    I'd discount the rest.

Given a choice, Paddy McLaughlin could be a great signing, but not sure he'd leave Cliftonville at present.
    That was my own initial thinking, if they were looking north that it would have to be a bit of a coup and he would fit the bill. It would take some serious effort, wouldnt be cheap and how do you deal with the coaches in place. Harps people might have some idea if he is the type that could be enticed away from the current job mid season..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    That was my own initial thinking, if they were looking north that it would have to be a bit of a coup and he would fit the bill. It would take some serious effort, wouldnt be cheap and how do you deal with the coaches in place. Harps people might have some idea if he is the type that could be enticed away from the current job mid season..

The Derry fellas would have a better idea than anybody I’d say,he said in May he was close to joining Derry last year in a coaching role but also said he wants to become a full time manager aswell,would be an interesting appointment as he seems to be doing a fine job at Cliftonville….

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Paul Doolin will be raging when he doesn't get this job.....

I also wonder would Andy Myler be on their shortlist. I know UCD fans on here don't seem to rate him, but he has high enough stock it seems outside of UCD. Maybe the connection with Rovers will be too much for Bohs tho.

----

One thing I do not get from Bohs is why sign so many players mid-season only to sack the manager who presumably brought them in a month later. If you are going to bring players in under Long, it is unfair to expect much from a team in near enough preseason against settled teams in the middle of theirs. Either you were building for next season or that was a silly plan- it's very hard to bring in a nearly new 11 in the middle of the year and expect them to gel right away and get results. Now a new manager would probably want to bring in his own players, and the past window was for nothing.

Long should have been let go before the window, to allow a new manager time to bring in his own players and build for the next year. Just bad footballing decisions from the club from the outside for me.. They seemed unwilling to make the hard call.

yeah looking forward to doolin moaning alright. an insufferable dose this past few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    https://mobile.twitter.com/bfcdublin...82904540274690

Job advertised on Twitter! It has not gone down well….

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/bfcdublin...82904540274690

Job advertised on Twitter! It has not gone down well….
    Id love to understand the thinking behind tweeting out for expressions of interest. Surely any manager in the Irish football sphere already knows the job is available and any managers outside of that are unlikely to see the tweet. Not to mention that it also gives off the impression the board haven’t got an idea who they want to be manager. Just looks completely amateur hour
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I agree they should have given him until the end of the season after such a large changeover of players.
    Regarding the timing, I'm also wondering if they sacked him before the Rovers match knowing that it would be near impossible to sack him afterward if they had beaten Rovers. It's unlikely at the moment, but he had a decent record in derbies, given the difference in resources. Didn't he go 8/9 derbies at one point without losing one? I don't remember he exact number but he had a great run in them for a while.
    Anyway, that was an old Abramovich trick when he wanted rid of a manager. He often gave them the boot before a big game, because if they went and bloody won the big game he wouldn't have as strong a case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Id love to understand the thinking behind tweeting out for expressions of interest. Surely any manager in the Irish football sphere already knows the job is available and any managers outside of that are unlikely to see the tweet. Not to mention that it also gives off the impression the board haven’t got an idea who they want to be manager. Just looks completely amateur hour
    Its all peculiar even for Bohs! Im not saying any of this slagging off the club, its that it has been a tightly run ship over recent years even if some things not particularly of footballing interest to many, but then the clatter of signings, sacking a manager weeks later, and now a job advertisement on twitter etc? Has the real brain guiding the club gone off on long term leave or something!?

*Maybe if someone was approached prior to KL sacking, or maybe not through a club, that this is the kind of smoke screen than can go up, and claim there was no plan in place prior to this advertisement and avoid a few complication...
    Last edited by Nesta99; 01/09/2022 at 7:53 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Its all peculiar even for Bohs! Im not saying any of this slagging off the club, its that it has been a tightly run ship over recent years even if some things not particularly of footballing interest to many, but then the clatter of signings, sacking a manager weeks later, and now a job advertisement on twitter etc? Has the real brain guiding the club gone off on long term leave or something!?

*Maybe if someone was approached prior to KL sacking, or maybe not through a club, that this is the kind of smoke screen than can go up, and claim there was no plan in place prior to this advertisement and avoid a few complication...
    Putting the ad out could mean they haven't anyone in mind and are using the ad as a holding tool until they contact someone or using the ad to give the interim team some time. Either way it makes it look like the sacking was not planned and they acted hastely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    The Derry fellas would have a better idea than anybody I’d say,he said in May he was close to joining Derry last year in a coaching role but also said he wants to become a full time manager aswell,would be an interesting appointment as he seems to be doing a fine job at Cliftonville….
    Yeah, offered the number two with us, turned it down, apparently.

He left Stute in the middle of the season to go to Cliftonville, albeit that's an easier move to decide on than moving to Bohs.

There's a bit of a presumption that he'll manage Derry at some stage. Well liked as a player, and he did a brilliant job with Stute, getting promoted during the 17-18 season. Stute had no money, were being outbid on wages by Inishowen League teams, and they ended up playing virtually the entire season away from Riverside after it was flooded in August.
    Laid the foundation for them staying up comfortably in the next season too (he left in February).

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I wonder would Pat Fenlon move out of his safety net and return to Bohs I wonder? Or is his days as mgr over for good?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Putting the ad out could mean they haven't anyone in mind and are using the ad as a holding tool until they contact someone or using the ad to give the interim team some time. Either way it makes it look like the sacking was not planned and they acted hastely.
    Im pretty sure they have candidates in mind and there has been planning albeit it could have been rushed and not thought through and there are elements of winging it. But yes the tweet could be entirely benign but once again imo that would add to the odd way this has or is panning out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I wonder would Pat Fenlon move out of his safety net and return to Bohs I wonder? Or is his days as mgr over for good?
    id be amazed to see him as a manager anywhere again. Has a decent job up there without the hassle!

22. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Sligo had a similar tweet a few months ago when Buckley got sacked. Strange that didn't get the same type of reaction this is.

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/stat...637417986?s=19

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast