Page 72 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Yep - the caveat of course is that other countries will be getting to the groups more as well. Sides from Armenia, Lithuania and Moldova are already there for example; HJK from Finland are all but there, and in the Conference League play-offs, you have Linfield* against either RFS (Latvia) or Hibernians (Malta), and Shkupi* (North Macedonia) against either Ballkani (Kosovo) or Klaksvik (Faroes)

I don't think there's any difference in points between CL/EL/ECL groups, which is a little bit silly - means beating Liverpool away in the CL groups is worth the same as beating Linfield at home in the Conference League.

* - assuming neither overturns two-goal deficits against stronger teams

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not necessarily - Rovers have a handy enough run of games even if Sligo/Pat's lose. Even if they lose to Shkupi next week but go through, and then lose home and away in the play-off, they're still in the Conference groups and results there are worth double.
    Oh, well since you put it like that stu.. whats all the fuss about. 🙄.

Another great occasion in the Home of successful LOI football.
    Skhupi looked all over the shop in the first half, with Gaffney causing havoc to their back 4. Deserved lead into half time, but once McCann and Burke went off and dundalk secret agent towell appeared Rovers looked lost in midfield and they took control of the game.
    Absolute carnage and bodies everywhere in the South Stand when GON scored in the last minute, it's those moments we football fans live for.
    Tie is far from over, despite what some on here would have you believe, but at least we have something to grasp on to. Rovers will need to be more controlled in midfield if they want to see this through.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    So you're asking for 3 more wins and a draw this year...
    That's a very big ask I'd say. There's still every chance our 3 teams remaining could all lose convincingly next week.
    I've seen too many terrible LOI summers in Europe to ever get optimistic.
    I know it's a huge ask! ... and your right, they could. Interesting week ahead.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Maybe I'm imagining it, but over the past couple years of LoI in Europe it feels like Irish teams are less intimdated than they used to be and that the football is more expansive and ambitious. That was certainly the case for Pat's last night -- they dominated CSKA for long periods, were hungrier for the ball, and fairly fearless. Brilliant to see.
    I think you DID imagine Pats 'dominating CSKA for long periods' - otherwise I agree.
    Another factor might be players like Anang and Atakayi coming from outside the 'LOI football culture' and therefore not inheriting an inbuilt inferiority complex - and the feeling that disaster and defeat is the natural order of things.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    I think you DID imagine Pats 'dominating CSKA for long periods' - otherwise I agree.
    Another factor might be players like Anang and Atakayi coming from outside the 'LOI football culture' and therefore not inheriting an inbuilt inferiority complex - and the feeling that disaster and defeat is the natural order of things.
    I take your point that Pats “dominating” is putting it a bit strongly. But we went toe to toe with them and probably had as many good chances as they did. We passed the ball pretty well too. This wasn’t a 90 minute backs to the wall job which we might have seen in past years. The away leg against Mura was similar. Pats showed that they are well able to retain possession and create at this level. I think we’ll need to be more clinical next week, which has been our big failing this season. If we get chances next week we have to take them. Eoin Doyle guilty of a couple of bad misses last night ( albeit he was offside for one). Billy King really should have hit the target too when he put it over the bar.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Yeah, I think CSKA had more of the ball but Pat's created the better chances. It was even enough all told. Neither side dominated each other for long periods. Not to take away from the performance of course, but I think that's a more even view of it alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Oh, well since you put it like that stu.. whats all the fuss about. .

Another great occasion in the Home of successful LOI football.
    Skhupi looked all over the shop in the first half, with Gaffney causing havoc to their back 4. Deserved lead into half time, but once McCann and Burke went off and dundalk secret agent towell appeared Rovers looked lost in midfield and they took control of the game.
    Absolute carnage and bodies everywhere in the South Stand when GON scored in the last minute, it's those moments we football fans live for.
    Tie is far from over, despite what some on here would have you believe, but at least we have something to grasp on to. Rovers will need to be more controlled in midfield if they want to see this through.
    This 100% if we allow them play like they played in the second half we will be hanging on the whole match, even a goal after an hour will leave us 30 mins with them looking for one to go to extra time
    If Jack is available he will be invaluable as it is a rare match when he doesn't either score or set a goal up and if we score one it makes it tough for them
    That being said obviously we should be progressing but a 2 goal lead playing away in high temps is nowhere near done

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Going on the 2nd half performance last night if Rovers concede early out there they could panic and are bang in trouble imho.

That being said a composed start / 1st half would probably be enough for them to steer the tie home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

I don't get too caught up in coefficients. What's the next highest ranking to gain anything from?
    By design it's inside top 30. But they may have to do a bit of tweaking to accomodate previous years winners. But because of the way the EL is setup, as a closed shop, this ends up promoting 4-6 or more cup winners from ECL qualifier R1.

This year to remove russian teams, and handle the above, they hade to promote 12 CW.

Unlikely to have just much impact on ECL next season. If as expected they're low 20's by end of this season then that'd already be CLQ1 and ECLQ2 so **SNIP**strikethrough doesn't work, had numbers more or less right, but worded wrong cos had russians couming out of Q1 team **SNIP**

In terms of CL or rather the champions path it's a house of cards, and you'd be taking one from the bottom. I'm fecked if I can figure out how you split 40 whatever teams across three competitions with multiple chances while retaining the existing qualifing numbers

As I said previously the national co-efficient is about to become meaningless - either you're top thirty, and start a round later or you're not. To be top 30 you have to be in the groups. And as Stu points out at this stage any fecker can be be in the group. Whether by design or accident uefa seem to have made a competitive competition for mid to lower rank countries, at least as far as the qualifiers go.

edit - I'm lazy, and didn't count, but based it on ideal (72 Q1, 54 Q2, 7 Q3, 5[+3 EL losers] Q4) for 17 to group stage- total 138. All very back of the envelope

Think that means need to work out for 135 (with no other changes)
    And 134 or 133 if take out teams starting in PO - there some chicanery with no. teams parachuted from ELQ3 being 2 or 3 depending on other factors

take 3 russian team from Q2
    If no other rearranging, (need 135) then 6 teams from Q1 to Q2
    - all teams to 29 and 5 CW (down to 34), or 3 teams down to 30 and CW to 32
    If remove PO starting team (need 134)
    move 4 teams from Q2 to Q3 and replace move same 6 teams Q1 to Q2
    Last edited by A N Mouse; 05/08/2022 at 1:53 PM. Reason: too lazy to count

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Is the glass half full or half empty?!
    I think it's fair enough to describe last night as a dominant Pat's performance. They created by far the better chances and are unlucky not to be two goals to the good.
    Sure Sofia had moments but Pat's always responded. Sofia failed to gain a strong foothold in the game. This was all because of Pat's brilliance on the night. Fully deserving winners of the first leg.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Is the glass half full or half empty?!
    I think it's fair enough to describe last night as a dominant Pat's performance. They created by far the better chances and are unlucky not to be two goals to the good.
    Sure Sofia had moments but Pat's always responded. Sofia failed to gain a strong foothold in the game. This was all because of Pat's brilliance on the night. Fully deserving winners of the first leg.
    While I think Pats set up well, and dealt well with anything thrown at them, it would be wrong to suggest anything other than the fact their own goal was entirely against the run of play and was the product of a defensive howler by CSKA
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    While I think Pats set up well, and dealt well with anything thrown at them, it would be wrong to suggest anything other than the fact their own goal was entirely against the run of play and was the product of a defensive howler by CSKA
    Fortune favours the brave. Sofia were feeling the heat from the pressure and made a mistake. On another night it might have been fortunate. Last night it was well earned and fully deserved. St. Pat's abú!!
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Outside players definitely is a factor. I remember Brian Kerr bemoaning the lack of quality overseas players in the league a few years ago, saying how that was essential to progressing the league. But that was 6-7 years ago and we have had some very decent foreigners since.
    Some are going a bit OTT here with the Pat's domination line tho.
    Pat's didn't dominate CSKA. In fact CSKA dominated Pat's for a good 20 mins at the end of the 1st half.
    That said, the rest of the game was very even. I think Pat's were outstanding, created the better chances and fully deserved the victory.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Thought StPats on balance deserved it, cska we’re just lumping (mostly) poor crosses into the area, whereas Pats created at least four good opportunities before they scored.
    Thought Forrester was a little off, he fluffed one on the six yard line, Doyle also should have done better , but both had decent games still. Be a tough second leg but I fancy a home win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Pat's didn't dominate CSKA. In fact CSKA dominated Pat's for a good 20 mins at the end of the 1st half.
    That said, the rest of the game was very even. I think Pat's were outstanding, created the better chances and fully deserved the victory.
    Sofia had a purple patch before half time. Pat's weathered the storm and reasserted their dominance. Fully deserving winners on the night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Its was a textbook away performance really. Measured in going forward when it was on, and keeping shape and discipline without the ball, took the chance when it arrived. CSKA will be a different beast in Dublin, there was probably an element of disrespect of LoI and underestimating St Pats which they wont do in the 2nd leg. I think they will be better with a noisy hostile away crowd than an impatient and critical home support that they probably fear more. Rustiness will be getting less and less with each game. If they rotated at all they will have their best 11 start now and the bit will be between the teeth so motivation wont be an issue for them.

While Id have had hope of a good result in the 1st leg before, Id be wary of making any bold predictions for the 2nd leg - in this instance the binning of away goals is a negative. I dont think it is hopeless for St Pats by any means, but they will have to have a St Pats performance of legendary proportions! I'd generally advocate for a positive approach to games but Clancy will have had a few sleepless nights trying to figure out how best to set up and maybe this is a roll the dice moment and prep for a siege - I dont remember too many times that this has actually worked i the end but it might be the most realistic way of getting through, might happen regardless of intentions, I dunno!

I think Rovers could have an easier time in NM than their 1st leg. Shkupi are as balanced as Ballotelli Joey Barton love child, Rovers can exploit that. A decent ref and a masterclass in the dark arts and they will lose the plot. Rovers are more than capable of a repeat of Hibs Malta away and keep them at arms length. Its a game that could suit Towell with his engine and close down the shots from distance. If Byrne is available it changes things a bit and a few more risks can be taken but only a properly fit Byrne. There's another spike in high temperatures forecast for the continent next week so managing energy levels could be an issue and really then playing a possession game is the only way.

Cue St Pats hammering CSKA and Rovers well beaten by Shkupi now....
    Last edited by Nesta99; 05/08/2022 at 1:28 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Burke and McCann went off injured and we lost our shape for a while. Subs took too long to settle and they were pulling us around and finding space, particularly in midfield. Then they made a mess of it by getting a lad sent off. He probably should have already been off to be honest but it did them in and we dominated from there.

Alan Mannus still the best in the country thankfully.

Ya burke was involved in everything good in the 40+ mins I saw. And the team in general were doing all the right things and when the pen scored running to grab the ball, that was all what you'd have hoped for. Attacking intent and playing keep ball and when it went to 2-0, I thought that's it now when I land they'll be 3 or 4 goals in front. There was nothing I saw from Skhupi to warrant anything else. Looks like Rovers did what other teams to do them in the first legs away from home, and then Skhupi did a rovers and found their feet but unlike rovers scored a goal. That sending off could be crucial yet.

Lets hope Skhupi don't do a rovers now next week, but it sounds like they are more than capable of doing that. All to play for still and extra time is definitely a serious possibility.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    This could obviously all blow up in our face in the second leg but have to say I was encouraged by how limited Sofia looked in terms of creating chances. They were awfully reliant on just lumping crosses in (even if their play up to that point was much slicker than ours), which when you've the likes of Redmond, Grivosti and even Cotter tucking in you'd rather be defending against.

Just delighted we've such a foothold going into next week. Haven't got fond memories of European ties in Tallaght (player protests, Legal Warsaw spring to mind) but hopefully we can make another big night happen.
    Cska certainly didnt look like a team with serious firepower, they looked fairly blunt. They also looked like a team that were struggling with fitness. They clearly underestimated Pats and they looked like a team that would have finished 30 points behind Ludogorets not 12.

They'll be a better outfit next week but I wouldnt be surprised to see ROvers game go to ET and this finish in the 90.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its a game that could suit Towell with his engine and close down the shots from distance. If Byrne is available it changes things a bit and a few more risks can be taken but only a properly fit Byrne. ....
    Towell has shown for Rovers that he's about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    If dundalk would like to extricate him from his multi year Rovers contract and tske him off our hands, I'll drive the f***er up to oriel pk myself.
    It looks like McCann will be missing from the game next week, so I'm hoping a 60 mins performance from Jack Byrne to keep things calm, and help Rovers score and ultimately kill the tie will be on the menu.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Towell has shown for Rovers that he's about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    If dundalk would like to extricate him from his multi year Rovers contract and take him off our hands, I'll drive the f***er up to oriel pk myself.
    It looks like McCann will be missing from the game next week, so I'm hoping a 60 mins performance from Jack Byrne to keep things calm, and help Rovers score and ultimately kill the tie will be on the menu.
    Bahaha burst out laughing. Ill pay the petrol money if ye do it, absolutely agree about Towell.

So glad Zinedine McCann has got a run of games recently. Was a class act when he came in for the injured GaryON end of last year and must have felt hard done by to be an unused sub the first half of the season this year.