Cork v Athlone 19:45

Saturday 6th August

Longford v Cobh 19:30

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Must win ,probably won’t yada yada!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    From a Rovers perspective (is there any other one ??) a Dundalk win over Derry is probably the best result followed by a Draw as Derry have improved over the Window and may not be finished yet.
    With Europe as a distraction we need both to be dropping points and play both over the next 3 games ourselves as well as away to Bohs.
    Can Harps rise to the occasion now that UCD have gone above them??

Shels v Pats and Sligo v Bohs games are big for European qualification , wins for Shels and Bohs would have all 4 teams within 4 points of each other. No more European hangovers allowed.

Longford really need a win or they risk dropping right back into the pack when they had looked certs for a play off place.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Dundalk v Derry the game of the weekend. Connolly a huge loss for Dundalk be interesting to see how they cope without him.

Only a win is acceptable for Longford v Cobh, fans will be out for blood if there's anything less than that. Performances haven't been good enough of late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Oriel Park is unlikely to sell out on Friday but will be the biggest crowd of the season. Advance prediction is maybe 3700. There is the big game feel about the town - non LoI regulars asking about getting tickets etc. A draw is a win for Rovers so imo a must win for Derry or Dundalk and then of course build on that of the next few key games and take advantage of Rovers European exertions.

I hope that former player returning are not overly abused by the home crowd, I hope is more like the Neale Fenn return to Oriel.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Oriel Park is unlikely to sell out on Friday but will be the biggest crowd of the season. Advance prediction is maybe 3700. There is the big game feel about the town - non LoI regulars asking about getting tickets etc. A draw is a win for Rovers so imo a must win for Derry or Dundalk and then of course build on that of the next few key games and take advantage of Rovers European exertions.

I hope that former player returning are not overly abused by the home crowd, I hope is more like the Neale Fenn return to Oriel.
    Don't see why this one shouldn't be a sell out, unless you know something we don't. As for the game I've seen Derry 4 times this year on LOITV and they didn't impress. Every game was long diagonal balls and not much else. I think Dundalk will win this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts

As someone who likes to see Dundalk do well, I can't understand the abuse a lkot of the former players get. Most had no choice given the insulting offers made to them by the yanks and the other bandits running Dundalk into the ground at the time. Maybe some didn't handle it as well as the likes of Massey who pretty much made it clear he had no choice but to go and made sure the fans knew how he felt about them and the club and as a result hye always gets a great ovation from DFC fans but at the end of the day, Dundalk signed Derry's best players for years but the shoe is on the other foot now.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Early flight in the morning Should be a good game in Oriel.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Consensus in Derry is a combination of 6 points from 6 in the next two games and Rovers qualifying for group stages in Europe is our last chance of mounting some form of title charge.

Unfortunately the former is unlikely, we have picked up a few results again in the league but our performance level has not recovered to being anywhere near our early season performances.

I’d say the most likely result in Oriel a score draw. Not of great use to either team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Dundalk v Derry the game of the weekend. Connolly a huge loss for Dundalk be interesting to see how they cope without him.

Only a win is acceptable for Longford v Cobh, fans will be out for blood if there's anything less than that. Performances haven't been good enough of late.
    What are people expecting? We're signing lads from the LSL and young lads from the Under-19 league with hardly any senior experience. We're working off a small budget (poor crowds to date, general economic uncertainty), so performances haven't been great as the players aren't great. We are in the table where we should be.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    As someone who likes to see Dundalk do well, I can't understand the abuse a lkot of the former players get. Most had no choice given the insulting offers made to them by the yanks and the other bandits running Dundalk into the ground at the time. Maybe some didn't handle it as well as the likes of Massey who pretty much made it clear he had no choice but to go and made sure the fans knew how he felt about them and the club and as a result hye always gets a great ovation from DFC fans but at the end of the day, Dundalk signed Derry's best players for years but the shoe is on the other foot now.
    I think some fans think its the done thing, almost like an obligation to abuse former players. Others just need a fraction of an excuse to abuse anyone that ever crosses their paths, like a sport to them. Then there's the attention seekers, cross over with the first group and think pigs heads on the pitch are whats needed and would be 'cool', playing the ultra big boys.

Not LoI but the best example of this bs was at an Ireland game and some fans seemed to feel obligated to boo Shota Arveladze because he played for Rangers. I asked one chap what the pont was and he said 'sure we're just having a laugh'. The real laugh is that player they were booing wasnt Arveladze, and there was a few confused looking faces when he was announced as sub coming on in the second half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think some fans think its the done thing, almost like an obligation to abuse former players. Others just need a fraction of an excuse to abuse anyone that ever crosses their paths, like a sport to them. Then there's the attention seekers, cross over with the first group and think pigs heads on the pitch are whats needed and would be 'cool', playing the ultra big boys.

Not LoI but the best example of this bs was at an Ireland game and some fans seemed to feel obligated to boo Shota Arveladze because he played for Rangers. I asked one chap what the pont was and he said 'sure we're just having a laugh'. The real laugh is that player they were booing wasnt Arveladze, and there was a few confused looking faces when he was announced as sub coming on in the second half.

OLE OLE OLE OLE best fans in the world

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    What are people expecting? We're signing lads from the LSL and young lads from the Under-19 league with hardly any senior experience. We're working off a small budget (poor crowds to date, general economic uncertainty), so performances haven't been great as the players aren't great. We are in the table where we should be.
    I don't disagree with any of that, I'm just highlighting the feeling I'm getting from a lot of supporters I talk to and group chats I would be in. I think that Athlone result in particular was quite damaging. There just doesn't seem to be any great gra around the place at the moment which is disappointing

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I don't disagree with any of that, I'm just highlighting the feeling I'm getting from a lot of supporters I talk to and group chats I would be in. I think that Athlone result in particular was quite damaging. There just doesn't seem to be any great gra around the place at the moment which is disappointing
    Thats due to certain events that happened in preseason with a certain ex player of ours not getting the recognition he deserved. Im not as interested in it anymore. Dont get me wrong I will still go to home games when I can but when certain committee members give you abuse on Facebook for making a point whats the point anymore?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    And we followed the Athlone loss with a flukey win in Waterford so 3 points from 2 games (as would've been expected beforehand). So, Athlone game clearly wasn't that damaging. If we had a bigger budget, then better players, better results and bigger crowds and more of a 'gra'.

As for pre-season events, if it's Doyle's departure you're referring to then it did work out okay for him in the end. He got a move to a PD club which has more of a full-time aspect to it than us. This suits a full-time football man like Doyle. The Town Executive were perfectly right to do what they deemed was best for the club and if that was to change manager, then so be it. Were it not for those 2-3 people on the Executive who keep the 'show on the road' financially, then we'd be going to watch the Town play in the finest ground the CCFL has ever seen. Careful what you wish for

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I expect it's Aodh Dervin that Marty is referring to. I don't know the ins and outs of what happened so I don't know if the apparent hard feelings on the club's part are justified or not. But I'm sure he was happy with his move regardless of if he got a bland statement on the website or not.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    And we followed the Athlone loss with a flukey win in Waterford so 3 points from 2 games (as would've been expected beforehand). So, Athlone game clearly wasn't that damaging. If we had a bigger budget, then better players, better results and bigger crowds and more of a 'gra'.

As for pre-season events, if it's Doyle's departure you're referring to then it did work out okay for him in the end. He got a move to a PD club which has more of a full-time aspect to it than us. This suits a full-time football man like Doyle. The Town Executive were perfectly right to do what they deemed was best for the club and if that was to change manager, then so be it. Were it not for those 2-3 people on the Executive who keep the 'show on the road' financially, then we'd be going to watch the Town play in the finest ground the CCFL has ever seen. Careful what you wish for
    I thought we were fairly poor in Waterford but a win is a win. It's these games against the likes of Cobh and Treaty that have cost us this season so let's hope we can go out and deliver a performance on Saturday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    So a nice relaxing night ahead where i can watch Crystal Palace v Arsenal for free on SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Sports suuuuuuuuuper Friday or pay €7 to watch Dundalk v Derry.
    I guess we all know the answer here.
    Will be interesting to see how Vintage Dundalk v Current Dundalk works out tonight.
    Score draw please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    So a nice relaxing night ahead where i can watch Crystal Palace v Arsenal for free on SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Sports suuuuuuuuuper Friday or pay €7 to watch Dundalk v Derry.
    Will be interesting to see how Vintage Dundalk v Current Dundalk works out tonight.
    Score draw please
    There are "supporters" of English Premier League clubs who would settle for a pay per view subscription to watch every game of their favourite club. The League of Ireland then more or less has this option available!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Score draw please
    I actually have the Arsenal /Palace game on. Underwhelming to say the least.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast