Thread: FAI Cup 2021

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Who even cares about the cup anymore?
    Eh, clubs who are still in it, obviously
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Bohemians v Waterford confirmed as the live game on RTE2 with St Pats v Dundalk on Watchloi. Waterford getting a good allocation of 900 tickets which are going on sale now. I presume they will be for the Des Kelly Stand so hope it's a nice evening now that the roof is gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Bohemians v Waterford confirmed as the live game on RTE2 with St Pats v Dundalk on Watchloi. Waterford getting a good allocation of 900 tickets which are going on sale now. I presume they will be for the Des Kelly Stand so hope it's a nice evening now that the roof is gone.
    Pats have confirmed that Dundalk will be getting the Shed End and a section in the main stand for their supporters however with doubt of covid restrictions being lifted I wonder if this will change if capacity is still only 50%.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I’m biased obviously, and I’ll be at the game, so it’s no skin off my nose, but I would have thought that the Pats/Dundalk game would have been the better choice for TV. Having said that, it’s probably marginal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Pats have confirmed that Dundalk will be getting the Shed End and a section in the main stand for their supporters however with doubt of covid restrictions being lifted I wonder if this will change if capacity is still only 50%.
    Apparently Pats have given Dundalk 500 tickets which will be upped to 1000 if restrictions lifted. I hope they are, this is the first season I didn't renew my season ticket as I gave up trying to contact the club during lockdown. Means I'll miss out on a ticket if there is only 500

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The noises are looking positive in that matches haven't been linked to any big outbreaks so far apparently. A couple of hours outdoors is fairly low risk so I'd say they'll see sporting events as one thing they can lift the restrictions on.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Apparently Pats have given Dundalk 500 tickets which will be upped to 1000 if restrictions lifted. I hope they are, this is the first season I didn't renew my season ticket as I gave up trying to contact the club during lockdown. Means I'll miss out on a ticket if there is only 500
    I'm in the same boat for the Bohs v Waterford tickets. Won't know till next week if further tickets will be for sale to Waterford fans after the initial 450 or so were sold to season ticket holders and supporters club members last week.
    Hopefully will get one but will depend on government decision next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    I'm in the same boat for the Bohs v Waterford tickets. Won't know till next week if further tickets will be for sale to Waterford fans after the initial 450 or so were sold to season ticket holders and supporters club members last week.
    Hopefully will get one but will depend on government decision next week.
    Its most likely that the October 22nd date will be moved back by govt with the way trends are going, the shift in language the last couple of days sounds like its prepping for such news. 75% capacity could well be seen to seasons end now, annoying but could be worse as we've seen with BCD games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Dundalk released an update yesterday, tickets on sale to ST holders, one per person from tomorrow and that further allocation will be pending govt restrictions being lifted, but as mentioned on here, hopefully sporting and outdoor ones will be exemptions, as I can see us fully taking up the 1k allocation.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk released an update yesterday, tickets on sale to ST holders, one per person from tomorrow and that further allocation will be pending govt restrictions being lifted, but as mentioned on here, hopefully sporting and outdoor ones will be exemptions, as I can see us fully taking up the 1k allocation.
    If 100% capacity is allowed it’s expected to be a sell out. Would be great to have the place packed again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    This is the 3rd season in a row we have been drawn away in the cup semi-final, Sligo (19) Athlone (20), even if the 2020 one was a cakewalk, luck of the draw and all that, but I wonder would there be any interest in a return to the 1980's H+A legs format? This was similar to the English LC set up for their semi finals, with away goals not counting.

Some cracking ties in the past, I remember we played Bohs in 87, lost 2-1 at home, won 1-0 away, then won 3-0 in the replay at home (I assume that was a draw to see who hosted it), great game. Joey Malone with 2 pens, not sure who got the other goal.
    Last edited by oriel; 17/10/2021 at 8:56 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    This is the 3rd season in a row we have been drawn away in the cup semi-final, Sligo (19) Athlone (20), even if the 2020 one was a cakewalk, luck of the draw and all that, but I wonder would there be any interest in a return to the 1980's H+A legs format? This was similar to the English LC set up for their semi finals, with away goals not counting.

Some cracking ties in the past, I remember we played Bohs in 87, lost 2-1 at home, won 1-0 away, then won 3-0 in the replay at home (I assume that was a draw to see who hosted it), great game. Joey Malone with 2 pens, not sure who got the other goal.
    I have a memory of Pats playing Dundalk in a cup semi at Richmond in the 80’s, think it may have been a two legged affair. We lost. One striking memory is that there were daisies growing on the pitch at Richmond !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Any word about Hoban's injury from Friday night?
    Here on a technicality.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

Home and away semi-finals reduce the knock-out aspect of the cup IMO. It makes it much less likely that there will be a shock result - which is surely part of the whole proverbial 'magic of the cup'. It's much harder for a team that is weaker on paper to pull off 2 big performances than just one. Given how boring and repetitive the Cup final fixtures have been over the last five or 6 years (only 3 teams have competed in the last 6 finals - out of a maximum possible 12 teams), I wouldn't want anything which increased the predictability of the semi-final winners.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 18/10/2021 at 11:42 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I have a memory of Pats playing Dundalk in a cup semi at Richmond in the 80’s, think it may have been a two legged affair. We lost. One striking memory is that there were daisies growing on the pitch at Richmond !!
    That was 1988, when both clubs going for the double, Dundalk 1-0 up from first leg, expecting a cagey affair away, we won 3-0, including a brilliant early goal from the late / great Barry Kehoe, gone just shy of his 40th birthday 19 years ago today I hear. What a player he was.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Yeah I looked it up after I’d posted it. Don’t really recall the game at all. It was before I was a regular at Pats games. I always remember the daisies on the pitch though. Those were the days !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    4,200 tickets sold so far for tomorrow night in Richmond. a 5,000 sell out is expected. The nerves are kicking in.
    Here on a technicality.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Pats to beat Dundalk and Bohs to beat Waterford 13 to 1 with Paddy Power.
    Waterford 6 to 1 to beat Bohs...seams generous now might not seem so tomorrow night

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Is it replays or extratime/penalties and finish on the nite in tonight's Cup semi's, as both sides are down to meet again in league fixtures on monday night 25th, according to RTE Sport Fixtures!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Is it replays or extratime/penalties and finish on the nite in tonight's Cup semi's, as both sides are down to meet again in league fixtures on monday night 25th, according to RTE Sport Fixtures!
    Replays on Monday if it’s level after 90 minutes. The league games due on Monday will then have to be squeezed in somewhere.

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast