Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Who is going to win the 2021 League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Very good piece in irish sun on treaty utd they only got confirmation at the last minute so they can only get cracking at short notice on their squad. What I found particularly interesting is that they have trouble getting the local limerick league any players they are interested in to sign a contract. They have paid employment.
    Also with Dublin County reason they couldnt get Morton was cos Athletics ground was so booked out. If they had got in Aaron Callaghan would have being manager. A person I never rated as manager but a solid no 2 considering his poor spell with us as manager!
    They had a whole page on LOI even at this early stage. Its the only reason I buy the paper is for their excellent LOI coverage. The rest of the paper is awful tripe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is it acceptable to Pats fans and the club to keep SO'D in the hotseat?
    Considering the transfer fee ye got for Luke McNally I expect ye to progress further under SOD with that extra dosh in his budget unless Pats board have other ideas.
    Squad is certainly looking better now. Barrett should be a good replacement for McNally. Still think we need an experienced goalie though, unless this kid from Liverpool turns out to be exceptional. As for SO’D, I’d say the jury is still out on him for most Pats fans. 5th or 6th again and he’ll probably come under pressure. On the other hand, we can’t keep changing our manager every season and hope to make progress. We looked alright at times last year, awful at others, so who knows ?
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I suppose if all are basically operating on an amateur basis there's room to not be an automatic wooden spoon. They'll (we'll? Feels weird saying that) be doing well to get anywhere near mid-table really.
    I'll be trying not to call them "we" for a while afraid to get attacked 😀. I agree I'd be amazed if they finish mid table, it'll be a very difficult start because of of all the uncertainty, no players and the players we get probably wouldn't have trained in ages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Very good piece in irish sun on treaty utd they only got confirmation at the last minute so they can only get cracking at short notice on their squad. What I found particularly interesting is that they have trouble getting the local limerick league any players they are interested in to sign a contract. They have paid employment.
    Also with Dublin County reason they couldnt get Morton was cos Athletics ground was so booked out. If they had got in Aaron Callaghan would have being manager. A person I never rated as manager but a solid no 2 considering his poor spell with us as manager!
    Paid employment AND paid for playing junior football so probably not worth the hassle of loi

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    I'll be trying not to call them "we" for a while afraid to get attacked ��. I agree I'd be amazed if they finish mid table, it'll be a very difficult start because of of all the uncertainty, no players and the players we get probably wouldn't have trained in ages
    That attempt at not using we didn't last very long.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    What kind of cash would junior's be getting in Limerick?
    Will all Limerick fans get behind Treaty or is there some mixed feelings?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    That attempt at not using we didn't last very long.
    Ah dam it I've fallen into it already ha , but this drama is just like being a Limerick FC fan every off season.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    You'd have to expect some mixed feelings. The name annoys a lot of people from what I've seen and read (not me personally), so the sooner they feel they can change it the better.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    You'd have to expect some mixed feelings. The name annoys a lot of people from what I've seen and read (not me personally), so the sooner they feel they can change it the better.
    No really so much the name being annoying (and it is a bit annoying) but rather sounding like a completely new completely unattached club which of course it is, also Limerick FC hasn't gone away but I wouldn't support them I a million years with POS involved, that would be my feelings anyway. This new thing will take a bit of getting used to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    No really so much the name being annoying (and it is a bit annoying) but rather sounding like a completely new completely unattached club which of course it is, also Limerick FC hasn't gone away but I wouldn't support them I a million years with POS involved, that would be my feelings anyway. This new thing will take a bit of getting used to.
    It might sound silly, but would 'Limerick Treaty' be any better? Also, where did the red and white strips come from? They seem random colours. Im sure the club will evolve, and maybe reclaim the 'spirit' of the other Limerick teams. With Limerick F.C still around, im sure there were possible legal troubles if the club identity got too close to POS team.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    It might sound silly, but would 'Limerick Treaty' be any better? Also, where did the red and white strips come from? They seem random colours. Im sure the club will evolve, and maybe reclaim the 'spirit' of the other Limerick teams. With Limerick F.C still around, im sure there were possible legal troubles if the club identity got too close to POS team.
    They're the original colours of senior football in Limerick.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    The red and white stripes were Limerick Utds original colours back in 1937 when they first entered the loi. Recently the Treaty chairman seemed to claim POS has some sort of ownership of a predominantly blue kit!!!! For me the name isn't the big issue as Limerick FC still hasn't gone away and Treaty is a completely new club which seems to be more Midwest than Limerick when you hear to Treaty chairman interviews, it'll take a bit of getting used to supporting a new team but you can't just forget the last 30 odd years supporting Limerick City/ AFC/ FC/ 37 which always just felt like a continuation of a club rather than a completely new club like now. In the end I think it ended up being a conscious decision by Treaty to make the new club appear completely separate to anything we had in the past.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The hope is certainly that POS will eventually give up, and let the new club subsume the old one and be "Limerick" again.

The fact that we can't actually go to matches also a factor in making a connection as well. I'd love to be able to head out to Bray for the first match, but I can't even leave north Dublin.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    The hope is certainly that POS will eventually give up, and let the new club subsume the old one and be "Limerick" again.

The fact that we can't actually go to matches also a factor in making a connection as well. I'd love to be able to head out to Bray for the first match, but I can't even leave north Dublin.
    Don't hold your breath re Pat giving up and good point about not attending games being a factor in making a connection, I'm just not feeling it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    On the name the board of Treaty went with Limerick United at the start.

A quick look on Solocheck would have told them Paud owns the name Limerick United.

Paud started making legal noises and in a blind panic they went with Treaty United. Which is awful.

So it wasn't so much a conscious decision more a balls up by someone

They then sent easily led people out into the wild to make stupid claims on their behalf.

The amount of actual adults I have had to explain the fact that, no, Pat O'Sullivan doesn't in fact own the word Limerick or the colour Blue to is unreal.

But ya, make a mistake, deflect, spoof, feed info to gullible people.

Plus ca change.

I can't see Paud going anywhere until he gets what he feels he's owed (Irony is something he struggled with from day one.) I don't think the FAI are in a position to give him any bobs though.

Will be interesting to see the Academy Licenses. If, as the rumour was last night, both Limerick teams are given underage licenses, it will show the FAI still can't/won't/don't want to deal with him. If just Treaty are given the underage it will show the FAI are confident their ducks are in a row.

On the playing side, the squad that was training for Treaty last night is basically players that played under Tommy and haven't been able to get another League Of Ireland club and the Galway United players from Alan Murphys tenure that Caulfield didn't want.

So, in answer to who's going to win the 2021 league, probably not Treaty.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    There was a club owner in Limerick
    Who proved to be something of a maverick
    For his perceived impiety
    He got gazzumped by Treaty
    And the whole process has left him feeling quite sick
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    There was a club owner in Limerick
    Who proved to be something of a maverick
    For his perceived impiety
    He got gazzumped by Treaty
    And the whole process has left him feeling quite sick
    There once was a mod on the net
    Who thought poetry a safe bet
    Then committed a rhyme
    Which resembled a crime
    Put your Limerick back it's not done yet

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    There once was a mod on the net
    Who thought poetry a safe bet
    Then committed a rhyme
    Which resembled a crime
    Put your Limerick back it's not done yet
    No longer a mod
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    you don't hear much these days from that tactics truck guy who used go to bat for O'Sullivan

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Should have gone with Limerick Celtic. Or even Limerick Rangers and play in blue.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast