Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Brother is Nathan Collins at Stoke
    The two lads uncle is former pats manager Eamonn Collins and their own father also played across the water too

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    To be fair, we were transformed overnight when 16-year-old inexperienced Bazunu stepped into the team. Mannus was supposed to sign six months earlier but he came at the right time with Bazunu leaving.
    Yeah thats fair enough, i'd forgotten about Bazunu in this context probably as its was a short term fix knowing he was leaving. He did bridge the gap. So much of a teams overall performance is based on how comfortable a defense is with their keeper.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    The two lads uncle is former pats manager Eamonn Collins and their own father also played across the water too
    Who was those two lads father? Name rings a bell think he made his debut aged 15 across the water.. He was a child prodigy but injury ended his career early. Think he was at Blackpool?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Who was those two lads father?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...er,_born_1971)

i believe he manages CYM Beechwood in the LSL these days

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    If thats the impression I gave apologies as no way do I consider Mannus and Cherrie as similar in ability! I was more suggesting that there is worry (and uncertainty on how well they have been scouted - hence the rhetorical question question to Stu) about the keepers coming in, not knowing if the unknowns will be good enough so will Cherrie be in the mix for the number 1 jersey. Also that Rovers improved significantly on the back of re-signing Mannus alone never mind other squad improvements.

At least we know what we are getting with Cherrie in comparison to these other lads, if he is to be No 1, whether he will be good enough to do a job is a wait and see and hope that he is if he is in the mix. He has a league winners medal from 2014 as first choice keeper but Kenny didnt seem to rate him though he had a good if unspectacular season with a solid back 4 in front of him. Is he past it now or has improved some weak points with experience I dont know yet and will reserve judgement irrespective of performances at other clubs. He is prone to poor decision making as Cork found in Europe, he was a good shot stopper but didnt command the box - hesitant coming for crosses. I hope that he is not considered as a first choice signing but as back-up, that having an experienced keeper in the squad could be a benefit the younger lads coming in. He is unlikely to be on top wages and that he may be reasonable value for money to have in reserve.

To clear up on what Sonny thought I was saying - The Bratislava keeper is the level of player that I believe is needed especially if there is ambition to improve significantly and consistently in Europe, maybe this Albanian lad has the potential, I hope he has and we have picked up a diamond in the rough. Again, time will tell!
    Makes sense. I think signing Cherrie is good for Dundalk. Nothing wrong with having that kind of experience as backup and he may help the Albanian learn the ropes or ensure he stays sharp.

That said, I think the keeper situation might be Dundalk's only real weak area at the moment. The new signings may or may not turn out well but they also might not be needed much. If you can put out the cup final team or close to it, you'll win most games. Rovers will have to be as good and consistent as they were last season to win the league again, which is a big ask without the driving force of McEneff and the creative spark of Byrne. I'd have Dundalk as favourites if the one of the keepers turns out to be solid. A few at Rovers might step into the gaps and I trust Bradleys confidence in the likes of Watts to do so...but it will be a lot closer this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I think Dundalk still have 9 who were involved in the cup final still there, Hoban and Murray injured so call that 11 minus the GK of course. Gannon is the only big loss in my view, as Rogers was coming to the end regardless, and Hoare had dropped to 4th pick from the centre halfs. Flores was brilliant in ET in the cup final and two big goals in EL group, but he wasn't consistent

The Latvian international, Jurkovkis who can play left or right full prob has the best chance of the new joins to make the starting xi, seems a lot expected of Sonni Nattestad, the big 6f 6 centre half, but Gartland-Boyle-Cleary won't be easily disposed. Up front plenty of choices with 3 strikers, and out wide well served in Duffy and Kelly, and maybe Junior if he signs. Centre mid, not sure we have strengthened, a lot will depend if Murray can keep fit, McEleney needs to do much more as he has the talent, then the new Scottish player Sam Stanton, again seems a lot expected from him, so we'll see.

All roads pointing towards the GK, that's still the one I`m worried about. But.......even without Jack B and McEneff, Rovers have that settled look about them.
    Last edited by oriel; 21/02/2021 at 6:10 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Derry sign Will Fitzgerald from Waterford. Any opinions on him ?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    He looked a very, very good prospect when he came through at Limerick. I don't really know how Waterford went for him.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Will Patching will be joining Derry City for the season.

EDIT: Quite late on to be editing but don’t want to clutter up the place with 3 posts in a row. Also signing Marc Walsh from Swansea.
    Both now confirmed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Both now confirmed.
    Marc Walsh isn't signed from Swansea. He has been back from there since the start of last summer. He was signed to Harps last season. Played one game in the Ulster Senior League and that was about it. He's very, very light.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Marc Walsh isn't signed from Swansea. He has been back from there since the start of last summer. He was signed to Harps last season. Played one game in the Ulster Senior League and that was about it. He's very, very light.
    Right you are. I wasn’t aware of that but no odds really, Marc Walsh has signed.

Being very, very light seems to be one of our transfer criteria this season so he will fit in well.

it is a very young and light looking squard particularly in midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Right you are. I wasn’t aware of that but no odds really, Marc Walsh has signed.

Being very, very light seems to be one of our transfer criteria this season so he will fit in well.

it is a very young and light looking squard particularly in midfield.
    I know the likes of Hodge and Parkhouse are good signings there, but is there any worry among Derry fans going into this season?

As you alude to, the squad doesn't look particularly strong, and lacking a bit of experience in there.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts

He had some injuries at Waterford that held him back, he was excelent at Limerick
    I remember him being name checked as a transfer target for both Dundalk and Rovers at one stage when Limerick were going bust.....if im getting my timeline right, but either way he is an excelent player for Derry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    He had some injuries at Waterford that held him back, he was excelent at Limerick
    I remember him being name checked as a transfer target for both Dundalk and Rovers at one stage when Limerick were going bust.....if im getting my timeline right, but either way he is an excelent player for Derry
    Dundalk were defo after him back in SK's time.Played for him in ireland U21's too. Only 21 though so could be a good signing once staying injury free.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I know the likes of Hodge and Parkhouse are good signings there, but is there any worry among Derry fans going into this season?

As you alude to, the squad doesn't look particularly strong, and lacking a bit of experience in there.
    I suppose I can speak only for myself but it is a bit of a concern certainly. I think some of the signings are exciting in their own right too and we know what are going to get from Parkhouse and Danny Lafferty.

All the hype with Hodge aside because he arrives from Man City our most impressive signing, and as good a business as I have seen anywhere in the league (admittedly I am not paying much attention to others) is signing Parkhouse on a 3 year contract. He will be the best striker in this division in that period of time imo.

There are a few obvious concerns. Midfield is very light, we are going with Gartside as our #1 who has never played regular football before, we still lack options on the wings and creative depth and the manager has plenty to prove after last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Lafferty is a great signing for Dundalk , was super for Rovers and scored a decent few goials as well.
    I can see why he was let go becasue we have Kavanagh coming back from best part of a year out and Farrugia who can both play wing back and are younger.
    From word around the club he is a model pro as well , Derry are lucky he is from Derry and happy to come home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Lafferty is a great signing for Dundalk , was super for Rovers and scored a decent few goials as well.
    I can see why he was let go becasue we have Kavanagh coming back from best part of a year out and Farrugia who can both play wing back and are younger.
    From word around the club he is a model pro as well , Derry are lucky he is from Derry and happy to come home
    Obsessed!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Lol , bad typo there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Was told that Will Patching was the best 'footballer' at Dundalk... bags and bags of talent..... Only problem was he is so laid-back... very very 'laid-back'.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Alfie Lewis has signed for Pats on loan from West Ham

Page 40 of 77 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast