Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Finland - Wednesday, 14th October 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Whatever about our goalscoring problems, we look a lot more solid with a 4-2-3-1, that's another takeaway for me. Maybe it's time to try a genuine number 10 like Ronan, Smallbone, Byrne. Or with the better-suited McGoldrick or O'Dowda in the role. Even Browne made a better fist of it than Jeff.

I think we also need a proper focal-point up front - a real number 9. Playing the likes of McGoldrick or Maguire up there just doesn't work.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Y
    For example, O'Shea looked very accomplished last night for a debutante. He's playing every week in the Premier League as he was in the Championship last season. Why wasn't he in the squad from the start?

I think it's time to be bold.
    to be fair the duffy / egan partnership has looked very good with a very able back up in Long. Its a fine balancing act bringing in the younger players at the right time particularly with our u21 situation. It would be a real boost to the senior team if a load of our 21s got to play in the euro finals and if DO'S was unlikely to get much game time if he was with the seniors then it was probably best to leave him with the 21s for the italy game. as soon as the covid situation and the long injury happened DO'S was brought in and played from the start. all seems very reasonable to me

4. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    You see, I think if Kenny really does go for a more revolutionary approach and bring in the younger lads like Kelleher, Dunne, O'Shea, McGuinness, Collins, Manning (when he's back playing), Knight, Cullen, Byrne, Gallagher, Coventry, Smallbone, Harness, Ogbene, Obafemi, Parrott etc, a chance, then people will be more patient and inclined to give him the time to turn things around. And, yes, I appreciate the process has already begun with the introduction of Molumby, Connolly and Idah.

I understand he took over at a difficult time, coming towards the end of another manager's qualification campaign, and needed to give the older players a chance as well as lean on their experience for these crucial games. But it's time to put his own stamp on things now. Bringing back Williams, a bit-part player at a midtable Championship club, and Horgan, who proved himself not even up to Scottish Premiership standard, really doesn't help his cause.

For example, O'Shea looked very accomplished last night for a debutante. He's playing every week in the Premier League as he was in the Championship last season. Why wasn't he in the squad from the start? And Knight looks good enough already to me.

I agree with you in a way. No point sticking with players who have proven themselves not to be up to it. I think players like Hourihane and Brady should be let go. Also though, I think throwing players in too quickly could be counter productive. Let some of the youngsters play some senior games before throwing them in. That's why I think players like O'Shea and Molumby have impressed and why I think Knight should be given a run as you say. Idah hasn't played enough at senior level yet, you could see the difference in touch needed, McGoldrick made a huge difference when he came on in Idah's place.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I meant 'debutant' of course.

I understand your point but I think the benefits of youth football is overstated. And the needs of a competitive senior international match should always supersede those of the underage teams. O'Shea can cover across the back and is comfortable on the ball and makes a very useful squad member, as we saw yesterday.

I agree Long is a fine back up, but he rather oddly wasn't even in the original squad, despite playing regularly and well for Burnley.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I like the balanced posts. It's a new manager trying a new approach through formation, playing style and personnel. We have drawn 4 and lost 1(edit: drawn 3 and lost 2) and scored only a goal. That is not great. But we have outplayed most of the teams. That is great but there are still flaws to the performances and goals are obviously integral.

I am finding that social media and cousins thereof like this forum are mirroring Irish society and becoming quite extreme with contrasting views, like the States and the UK. Vote for Sinn Fein or Fine Gael. Open up or lock down. Hendrick is crap or Hendrick is great. Kenny is on a hiding to nothing or Kenny is the saviour.

There are a lot of balanced posts here with people accepting it isn't perfect but at least it gives hope for something better. The truth sits in the middle.

So I'm disappointed that he started Maguire and Horgan. They're not up to it and won't deliver goals. On the other hand, he put O'Shea in centre half when Long was apparently fit. I can't think of another manager we have had in a while that would have given a young centre half his first cap away to a decent side like Finland in a competitive match.
    Horgan was one of our few better players until he was shifted over to the left side to accomodate Brady and faded out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    [url title='
    Those truly bothered by Mick McCarthy's commentating on Ireland matches are just looking to be annoyed']https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/those-truly-bothered-by-mick-mccarthys-commentating-on-ireland-matches-are-just-looking-to-be-annoyed-39627041.html[/url]
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39627041.html
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 15/10/2020 at 2:09 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quite a thoughtful article:

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-kenny-22-5233759-Oct2020/

Ireland second only to Spain in pass completion (88%).

A definite culture shift is underway, and Kenny has succeeded in some respects. But the balance just isn't there yet. No goals from open play tells its own story.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 15/10/2020 at 7:04 PM.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quite a thoughtful article:

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-kenny-22-5233759-Oct2020/

Ireland second only to Spain in pass completion (88%).

A definite culture shift is underway, and Kenny has succeeded in some respects. But the balance just isn't there yet. No goals from open play tells its own story.
    Very good article. You are right, the balance is not right but the foundations look good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    You see, I think if Kenny really does go for a more revolutionary approach and bring in the younger lads like Kelleher, Dunne, O'Shea, McGuinness, Collins, Manning (when he's back playing), Knight, Cullen, Byrne, Gallagher, Coventry, Smallbone, Harness, Ogbene, Obafemi, Parrott etc, a chance, then people will be more patient and inclined to give him the time to turn things around. And, yes, I appreciate the process has already begun with the introduction of Molumby, Connolly and Idah.

I understand he took over at a difficult time, coming towards the end of another manager's qualification campaign, and needed to give the older players a chance as well as lean on their experience for these crucial games. But it's time to put his own stamp on things now.

I have no doubt he will, and sooner rather than later, but the reality is he was never going to bring all those lads in for his first couple of games. I'm pretty sure that in 18 months time, if he is given the breathing space, the squad will have a very different look to it. The way he has the team trying to play is undoubtedly more difficult than just keeping it tight and playing the percentages, it's more risky and you're more likely. To cough up chances until it clicks. I get that supporters have a limited amount of patience (very limited in this case it seems) but honestly, I don't think we've played terribly. We've got to give it a chance to come good.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Don't kill Kenny!!

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Didn’t anyone see the video of Shane Duffy ending Randolph’s chances of having kids? Painful to watch

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Hello. I've made 3 posts on this thread. None of them have been approved. Is there a reason for this? I'm not sure who isn't approving them but it would be nice to know the reason. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    We've actually played quite well in this match, but we just don't have the players to play proper football. We're better off hoofing the long balls up and defending in numbers. That goal would never have happened under Trap because our goalkeeper would not have been allowed to try something like that.
    You realise why we're in the predicament that we are in, right?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    well we are garbage. finland look far more like scoring a second than we do an equaliser.

it's been a pretty disastrous start for kenny it has to be said.
    It's been a disastrous 4 years.

Kenny prioritised Slovakia, and sacrificed results in the first two games of the NL because of getting the message across, lack of fitness, and integrating new players - this is acceptable.
    Against Slovakia, we played well. We created two really, really good chances from excellent interplay, that an Irish team has rarely done since Euro 2016. Difference is we couldn't finish. The result in the short-term is a disaster. Long-term it remains to be seen.

In that context, I fail to see any positivity had Kenny not been given the job, and MMcC continued, because at the end of nearly every game, there are moments of evaluation where I'd think "what are we at here?" because the football was so bad, and the performances just as bad. We didn't look like scoring much under Mick either, lets not forget.

I'd suggest that we've already reached our nadir, and that we're starting that slow gradual rise. We've not played anyone garbage, we've played teams actually at our own level, and not once have we looked out of our depth, playing differently. The last 30 mins at home vs Finland is the only "unacceptable" performance, and that could possibly be attributed to tiredness/pre-season.

I don't ever want to see a situation arise again where we are playing long-ball football against Gibraltar.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Hello. I've made 3 posts on this thread. None of them have been approved. Is there a reason for this? I'm not sure who isn't approving them but it would be nice to know the reason. Thanks.
    Sorry about that, missed that your posts needed approval
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    No problem! I thought I failed the standards needed to post as my posts are ****. But being granted approval is truly a great honour. Good morning foot.ie!

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Welcome!

There's a lot of new blood recently; it's great to see. The more the merrier - Make Foot Great Again!

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I can't believe Tets didn't notice the capital letters

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I thought I failed the standards needed to post as my posts are ****.
    I think it's fair to say the bar is set pretty low.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think it's fair to say the bar is set pretty low.
    In the Junior League subforum, you don't even need to be able to form a coherent thought or express it in your native language.

29. Thanks From:

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast