Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential ramifications for LOI after todays FAI accounts debacle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think Nesta is suggesting he sees 12m to 20m of enjoyment value out of seeing Drogheda homeless
    12m as a short term happy day and another 8m of enjoyment watching them struggle.
    With that gift for hypothetical figures shouldnt you be working in the marketing of image rights arena?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Now is the time for the league to break away from the FAI. I’ve often wondered what a league run by professional administrators with football people and executives experienced in marketing, law and corporate governance, finance, procurement, and rights and negotiations could do for football here. A variation of fantasy football, I suppose. No reason to think we’ll ever have anything but the same ordure of business, same shovel. And that’s pretty depressing.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    There didn't seem to be any clarity on where the the LOI would fall. It sounds like a stupid idea to be perfectly honest.
    Further stories on this seem to indicate that What was being initially portrayed was not as first thought. It just seems like what they want to set up is a separate arm of the FAI, basically a trust/foundation/community interest company or similar. It gives arms length from the main organisation, at least on the surface. Reality is that it still is in essence an FAI body. All UK association's have one, and many clubs. It allows some independent control but UEFA funding would still flow through the FAI, while the likes of Sport Ireland would fund go directly to this branch of the FAI. That's my take anyway.

The IFA set one up some years ago. It works well in some ways, but not all.

https://www.irishfa.com/irish-fa-foundation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Now is the time for the league to break away from the FAI. I’ve often wondered what a league run by professional administrators with football people and executives experienced in marketing, law and corporate governance, finance, procurement, and rights and negotiations could do for football here. A variation of fantasy football, I suppose. No reason to think we’ll ever have anything but the same ordure of business, same shovel. And that’s pretty depressing.
    While a League can be formed that is not subject to the direct administration controls of the FAI, there would still need to be much interaction with it. For example Licencing, Discipline, aspects of player registration and would also still have to be the conduit for UEFA prize money and funding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    @RTEsoccer: "My guess is if the FAI goes, the League of Ireland goes the same way. I think that is absolutely inevitable."

Minister Shane Ross has warned the League of Ireland could collapse alongside the FAI in the current crisis.

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status...050496/video/1

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Cross-posting from the Ireland thread, but it probably belongs better here...

https://twitter.com/soconaill/status...65205660639232

Don't know if this is true or not - no Euro 2020 or LoI in Europe if the FAI go bust - but it's logical. Presumably this would also mean no solidarity funding for clubs.

Wouldn't like to be doing a club budget about now

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Possibility of losing the EURO 2020 hostings might encourage government to step in to keep FAI on life support at least.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    @RTEsoccer: "My guess is if the FAI goes, the League of Ireland goes the same way. I think that is absolutely inevitable."

Minister Shane Ross has warned the League of Ireland could collapse alongside the FAI in the current crisis.

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status...050496/video/1
    Bohs and Shels are lapsed members of the Irish League, we might get that All Ireland League and 32 county team through a reverse takeover!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I watched an hour or so of the Committee hearing and am astonished how so many people pontificating on the matter have so little knowledge or failed to do basic research as to the construct and regulations of FIFA, UEFA, and football association's in general. It is worrying that such people are having conversations with various parties about finding solutions, yet don't really know what they are talking about.*

They would do well to engage a sports law expert, with football as their speciality, before looking more foolish and/or making things worse.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    if the government can stump up €36m for the curragh redevelopment and €67m (€3m of which appears to be spent on prize money!!!!!) to the horseys annually then the €18m to save Irish football is a bargain by comparison....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if the government can stump up €36m for the curragh redevelopment and €67m (€3m of which appears to be spent on prize money!!!!!) to the horseys annually then the €18m to save Irish football is a bargain by comparison....
    When it comes to lobbying Football in this country are way way down the list, looking at what went on in the last 20 years i understand why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I know there are and have been issues with Ross and other politicos, but it does seem that much of the anger is now being turned in their direction, rather than being focussed where it should be. People should not be expecting them to solve the crisis, but rather those within the football family should be working on it. What has been heard publically from the hearts of the various regional association's, county boards or chairmen of LOI clubs? Surely the handcuffs are off now that Delaney and Co are gone?

Are they just sitting on their hands in hope that 'outsiders' will sort it all out and potentially in doing it their way, football ends up in circumstances that are far from ideal for football itself?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    When it comes to lobbying Football in this country are way way down the list, looking at what went on in the last 20 years i understand why.
    I don't like whataboutery, but there are other sports that have had massive issues and still do- several counties in the GAA have serious financial scandals ongoing, Swim Ireland had a massive issue with child sex abuse, the greyhound industry is riven with cruelty and horse racing has traditionally enjoyed great support despite fixing, workers on massive hours on minimum wage (even at top stables) etc. That's off the top of my head, plenty more out there as well I'm sure.

While the FAI has been a disaster, government money was correctly spent according to everything that has come out so far.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Fears for League of Ireland future emerge from Oireachtas meeting

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...chtas-meeting/
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Yea looks grim folks time to apply to IFA 2021

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    You may make that application a year earlier as we player a winter league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    Fears for League of Ireland future emerge from Oireachtas meeting

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...chtas-meeting/
    Hard to believe the League would be let "go to the wall" but given the current clusterfcuk masquerading as a football association literally anything is possible.

I hope those that criticised LOI fans for slagging off Delaney at least have the decency to stay away from Irish football in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    well we've already won the playoff v Linfield for the Champions League spot :-)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    "The Government have asked Sport Ireland to arrange a meeting with representatives of the League of Ireland clubs and players in advance of the meeting with UEFA which is pencilled in for January 14th 2020, to hear the leagues concerns."How important could this meeting be for the future of the league now with the current FAI business plan asking for upwards of another €18m bailout!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    "The Government have asked Sport Ireland to arrange a meeting with representatives of the League of Ireland clubs and players in advance of the meeting with UEFA which is pencilled in for January 14th 2020, to hear the leagues concerns."How important could this meeting be for the future of the league now with the current FAI business plan asking for upwards of another €18m bailout!
    Important the club reps have some sort of cohesive approach to this, Government will not want the League to collapse but wont care enough to come up with any solutions. Put some realistic proposal (short term survival, longer term aspirational) to them and there is a chance they might back it but go in with the usual 'me fein' club approach or whinging about the FAI and they (the Government) will pretty soon lose interest.
    Last edited by marinobohs; 19/12/2019 at 11:40 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast