Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nations League Rules Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    If you think about it though. I don’t think there will be any additional condition on hosts. Assuming they want to maximize the chance as many hosts as possible qualify. Then it’s in UEFA’s interest to allow Ireland escape to Path A even if Romania or/and Hungary already are the overflow to Path A. Instead of all three probably going out, would be a good chance at least one would go in.

Ireland as host would also prefer be allowed to escape. And hungary and Romania would prefer Ireland escape instead of a higher ranked B team like wales Slovakia turkey or Czech.

Keeping the hosts apart doesn’t really benefit UEFAs agenda and doesn’t benefit the hosts individually.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Everything solved lads.. and a new toy to play with.. UEFA have put in a play offs simulator on their website to try to work out how the play offs will pan out

Lets assume all groups finish exactly as they stand right now.. the play offs would be

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualif...90-ENG--191008

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    The rugby crowd should get these genius’s to sort out their World Cup !

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It'd be hilarious if it was wrong

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Looks more like Iceland are going to be in the play offs now. Looks like 4 and only 4 League B teams in the playoffs too.

I think best chance is for Kosovo to drop Czech into the playoffs, or Norway/Romania to drop Sweden into the playoffs. Then we could have more than 4 League B teams.

What that means I think is that Ireland would at least get a chance to be drawn out of League B playoffs and end up with Iceland and a mixture of League C teams.

To be stuck in League B/Path B could be (BOS vs NIR) vs (SVK/WAL vs IRE) ... crucially AWAY for the play off semi.

To escape League B/PAth B could be (ICE vs ROM) vs (IRE vs HUN/ISR/BUL) ... at least at home for the play off semi.
    Last edited by davidatrb; 12/10/2019 at 11:52 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidatrb View Post
    Looks more like Iceland are going to be in the play offs now. Looks like 4 and only 4 League B teams in the playoffs too.

I think best chance is for Kosovo to drop Czech into the playoffs, or Norway/Romania to drop Sweden into the playoffs. Then we could have more than 4 League B teams.

What that means I think is that Ireland would at least get a chance to be drawn out of League B playoffs and end up with Iceland and a mixture of League C teams.

To be stuck in League B/Path B could be (BOS vs NIR) vs (SVK/WAL vs IRE) ... crucially AWAY for the play off semi.

To escape League B/PAth B could be (ICE vs ROM) vs (IRE vs HUN/ISR/BUL) ... at least at home for the play off semi.
    The Czech Republic beating England last night was a terrible result for us in my opinion

That pretty much assures Czech Republic qualify.. and Turkey getting out of Group H hit us too

Always said we'd be better off having been pushed up into the League A play off than staying in Group B's

Hungary could yet pass out both Slovakia and Wales.. in fact this would be a brilliant result because it would push 2 Group B teams back into the play offs in one swoop

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Yeah missed that one too Hungary still with a real chance of dropping bot Slovakia and Wales into the playoff.

Good shout - but the results this week haven't helped that scenario either!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Yeah missed that one too Hungary still with a real chance of dropping bot Slovakia and Wales into the playoff.

Good shout - but the results this week haven't helped that scenario either!
    Hungary still working their miracles.. if Romania could get past Sweden we'd be in the complete pox balls miracle territory of a home play off semi final v N Iron, with the winners playing Iceland or Isreal.. potentially in Dublin

So far though, the most likely outcome is still

Bosnia v Northern Ireland
    Wales v Rep of Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Two wins for Wales - away to Azerbaijan, who have 1 point, and at home to Hungary - and they qualify. I think they'll do it, though they've been struggling so far

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Hungary still working their miracles
    Did you see Azerbaijan's disallowed equaliser in the 94th minute? Ref said handball, but it was clearly the player's tummy. Some goal by Hungary though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I think another aspect of the whole thing is that if Spain qualify directly and Ireland by playoff then they get 3 home group games. We only get 2.

That and we would be seeded in Pot 4 for the draw if we get in via playoff. Directly we might be lucky to get Pot 2 but probably Pot 3.

This playoff thing is going to be an absolute nightmare and punish us at every turn. We absolute MUST put everything into direct qualification (as im sure we are).

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Insanely complicated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I see wiki now has a summary of the play-offs too.

So assuming that we come third in the group - because otherwise we don't care - then at present, the play-offs are -

League D
    Georgia
    North Macedonia
    Kosovo
    Belarus

League C
    Scotland
    Norway
    Serbia
    Bulgaria

League B
    Bosnia
    Wales
    Slovakia
    Ireland

League A
    Iceland
    Northern Ireland (from League B)
    Israel (from League C)
    Romania (from League C)

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    In that example from pineapple stu - I still believe there is a draw though to pick whether Wales/Slovakia/Ireland or N. Ireland move up from League B into the Iceland Path.

I think its clear from that latest toy the Play-off simulator. If you click Example Scenarios after the teams are picked then it shows a similar example.

What they could also do is make Pots Iceland/Bosnia ... Wales/Slovakia ... Ireland/N. Ireland .... Israel/Romania and so for example you could have Iceland/Wales/Ireland/Isreal in a Path. They have an example like that where they draw based on a seeding principle in one of their press packages. So long as Bosnia cant be drawn with League A team. It would allow them to keep Ireland and Romania apart as well as hosts - I was looking at the Euro 2020 draw process and it looks like it will get fiercely complicated if the host are still in the playoffs so it wont be determined if they qualify at the time, especially if two host are in the same playoff path.

They could basically do anything. The only rules that they have is if 4 teams from a league then they must form a path. And Nations League Group Winners cannot be in a Path with higher League teams.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    In that example from pineapple stu - I still believe there is a draw though to pick whether Wales/Slovakia/Ireland or N. Ireland move up from League B into the Iceland Path.
    Ah. I missed that.

So any League B winner - Denmark, for example - can't move up; I think that's established.

I had assumed League B would be filled with the top League C teams, but hey, why not add in another draw I guess.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    what does this mean, can anyone guess?

Competition-related reasons: In order to give host teams a fair chance to qualify for the final tournament, they may be allocated to different paths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I would say they'll try bias in favour of hosts.

So if there's 3 hosts in League B, they might move one to League A and maximise the chance of all 3 qualifying)

It's daft

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So any League B winner - Denmark, for example - can't move up; I think that's established.
    Yes Denmark or Sweden if involved cannot move up. They might also block Ireland from moving up too if Hungary or Romania have already moved up. To keep the hosts apart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

So if there's 3 hosts in League B, they might move one to League A and maximise the chance of all 3 qualifying)

It's daft
    Yeah I think it’s daft because by maximizing the chance all 3 hosts qualify you are also maximizing the chance that zero will qualify. And you are punishing the hosts by not allowing them to move to an easier Path because adding restrictions around hosts.

Really uefa don’t want it and the hosts don’t want it. But after reading the draw procedure for the actual Euro 2020 (which is made before the playoffs play out) I think it gets very complicated to draw the teams if 2 or more hosts in the same playoff path. Makes me think they’ll do something to keep them apart.

Denmark or Ireland could be in League B. Scotland will be in League C. Also Romania and/or Hungary might be involved so they’ll try to move those out of Scotland’s path. And then try to block Ireland or Denmark from getting involved with Hungary or Romania.

But it just won’t be possible if 4 hosts are in the A,B and C playoffs. Four into three doesn’t go.

So who knows. I think this UEFA Emergency Panel will be busy.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts

It's daft
    i read it like that too, but it is a questionable usage of the word 'fair'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast