Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    FIFA discussing the topic of national eligibility now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abt9t_EuSC8

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    So what happens to his Irish passport now then?
    Will it be shoved to the bottom of the sock drawer never to be seen again or post Brexit will he proudly be using it or the british one for his 2 weeks in Magaluf?
    Will he secretly dig it out now and again and indulge in a wistful moment of nostalgia day dreaming of the misty mountains of Mullingar?

I'm just disappointed that we have lost a world class opportunity for food based puns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    I'm just disappointed that we have lost a world class opportunity for food based puns.
    Head over to ybig and fill your boots!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    You do know that reheating left-over rice is the main source of food poisoning from take-aways? In future we should stick to carbs that won't cause nausea.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Ergot grows on wild rice too, can do funny things to your head.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Because once you're capped at senior competitive level, you can't file papers to change associations.

But it can still follow that, once you file papers to change associations, you can't change back again. Those two options aren't mutually exclusive.
    The wording of the switch rule appears to support that a player can only make one switch and that the switch is irreversible.
    It also appears in another rule that a player needs to be resident 5 years in the new country before being eligible to play for that country, but that is not so and FIFA regularly dispense exception to the residency rule to children of immigrants /refugees/ the displaced. Yet that's not explicit in the text but in the practice. That rule is to protect players from being exploited not to punish

In relation to the switch rule, some players have boomeranged, funnily enough both are Australians, Milos Degenek and Apostolos Giannou
    I haven't come across a player being refused a reverse switch

This switch issue was originally discussed in the eligibility thread and I brought up an example of a an EPL player who applied for a switch, was called up by the new association (Trinidad?) but the player chose not to follow through. We speculated then on when the switch was actually activated and became irreversible.

edit --- I see Joe D has already posted about the player Zamora and the reply from FIFA confirms that the player can cancel the switch as long as he doesn't play.

On FIFA, the next change in the rules is likely to involve allowing a player to make a switch even though he/she was already capped at competitive senior level (one cap?)
    The theme running through FIFA's rules and rule changes is that they continually support the player rights and not favour the associations cynical efforts to tie them down.

I might add that I could be mistaken in this interpretation of the switch affair, however it would be a first time getting something wrong in regards to all aspects of the eligibility rules discussed here over the last 11 years and Im the guy who explained many things to Danny re article 5 or 15 when he was in short pants.
    Last edited by geysir; 15/02/2019 at 8:51 PM.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Special Rice leaves Paddy’s field for English pudding.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    He's gone to find his Ambrosia.

Wait till he finds out Ambrosia Rice is ****e

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I was born in the England and have lived in the UK for most of my life. I have both a UK and an Irish passport. I don't go round wanting England to lose every game or anything like that, but I would rather have had one Irish cap than a plethora of one's for England. For me it's not 50:50, it's not an "agonising decision", for me it's not even a "decision" at all.
    It depends, I think he only Irish on his paternal side, probably English on his maternal side, not sure what the case is with you? Irish on both side? That is very different, and it is more 50/50. Indeed as he was born in England it kind of makes him more English. I was born in England but both my parents were born in Ireland so I've no English blood. So it is a case of blood is thicker than water for me. If one of my parents was English it would be very different.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'm disappointed with Geysir's level of misunderstanding on this aspect.
    Share your great understanding of the matter at hand that leads you to be oh so dissapointed

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Anyhow as one drama ends another begins!!!

LUCA CONNELL is the latest Irish youngster in England’s sights following Declan Rice’s switch.

Connell, 17, is on the Three Lions radar after a stunning start to his senior career with Bolton in the Championship.
    Anyhow reading his tread here looks ominous. His wiki page said he had long term ambitions to play for England, that was then changed
    to Ireland, the edits made by his uncle apparently, but anyone could edit it and say they were the Pope or whatever.

He will probably end up playing for Croatia. He has the name and the look, bet he has a Croatian parent!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Would be terrible to lose Connell, looks a really stylish player with a lot of confidence. Could just be a promising start and will fade but I watched a Bolton match lately and he was very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Not going to get my hopes up any more for these types of players. Or get in any way invested in them until/unless they are fully on board & tied to us or fully, unequivocally committed.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I wish him the career he deserves..... Just like Stephen Ireland got. The sooner the thread gets moved out of this forum, the better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    OK, so here's what I hope happens to Rice... it's November 2021 at the Aviva Stadium. Due to a couple of injuries, fringe/squad player Rice is making his fifth/sixth/seventh appearance for England. 80 minutes into the second leg of the World Cup Play-off, the score is deadlocked when Alan Browne, making his 20th appearance (making up for lost time when a certain someone played in three friendlies for Ireland) plays a ball behind the defence. It looks like Rice has it covered because he has a two-yard start on the nearest Irish forward. Unfortunately for him, that Irish forward is Michael Obafemi (coincidentally making his twentieth appearance for Ireland) who turns on the afterburners, races past Rice and clips the ball over the English 'keeper, causing utter delirium in the stands.

Ireland see out the game and for the last ten minutes, every time Obafemi gets close to Rice, he grins and says "best decision I ever made"

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The most upsetting part of this whole fiasco is it means Paul O'Shea is able to say I told ya so.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Can we take the high moral ground on this, and start calling England 'Ireland B'?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    These are strange times, a wannabe top team (world champions in their own head) poaching our players.

In the past if we lost out to a player, it was a player who was deluded way beyond the bounds of his ability that he was good enough to play for his other country, now I can't even remember his name, the Utrecht kid.
    Every young footballer needs a father like Declan's father, "Son, you're only good enough for the likes of Ireland, you'll never make it bigger" just a pity his voice was drowned out by lure of better things.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Go for the dented Car, son. The less attractive model...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Rice View Post
    'I'm very Irish, my mum and dad were very Irish and Declan grew up in an Irish/English environment as a lot of people from London do. 'And so at the end of the day he had to make a choice and I have to support my son. 'I wouldn't have thought for 100 years he'd run out in an England shirt but he's got his reasons. 'It's just a shame really — fingers crossed it all goes well.'

- http://www.sport.net/declan-rices-da...ireland_865878

Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast