Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Scored again today

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Is his form good enough for international consideration? I mean, he's only in League One because he went to Sunderland, not realising that this particular period of meltdown hadn't bottomed out yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    At 32, fast approaching 33, it's fair to say his best days are behind him and playing in League One, it'd be brutal if we had to resort to that sort of call up, an ageing winger who's at the lowest point of his career to date.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I would like to see him involved for his creative ability off the bench for games like Georgia or Gibraltar when we are struggling to keep the ball or create chances

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Eighth of the season for McGeady today, scoring the only goal against Wimbledon. Jimmy Dunne appears to have settled in quickly, playing the full 90: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47011146

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I would like to see him involved for his creative ability off the bench for games like Georgia or Gibraltar when we are struggling to keep the ball or create chances
    Do you really think we'll struggle to keep the ball or create chances in the next campaign? What on earth would make you think that?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    At 32, fast approaching 33, it's fair to say his best days are behind him and playing in League One, it'd be brutal if we had to resort to that sort of call up, an ageing winger who's at the lowest point of his career to date.
    Well, Wessi was the star of our Euro 2016 campaign at the age of 34 (the same age McGeady will be for Euro 2020). Plus McGeady is a little unlucky to be in League One - he went to a club that was, on paper, a big Championship club with realistic ambitions to return to the Premier League and did well, personally, with 35 games and 7 goals. Unfortunately, the club in general was in turmoil and got relegated. In his previous year in The Championship his stats at Preston were similar and his strike rate has gone up by about 50% in League One, with 8 goals in 23 appearances so far - so he doesn't appear to be that much worse of a player than he was over the last two seasons, which should put him in contention for a spot in the squad, especially given his extensive international experience.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I thought he was great on his day, and always hoped he would do well. But the difference between Wes and McGeady is that one peaked late, the other far too early. I think O 'Dowda is a far better option now.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I think he could still do a job for us. We're not embarrassed with riches. He didn't really put a foot wrong in any of his Euro 2016 appearances and is playing well, albeit at a lower standard. And yes, he's unlucky to be in League 1.
    Martinez was the wrong manager for him and perhaps Everton was the wrong club for him. A newly promoted Premier league club would've probably suited him better. There would have been less pressure on him.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Two players playing different positions, however I do take your point.

McGeady built his career around trickery and a burst of speed to get beyond the last man. Wes obviously had that earlier in his career, but peaked when he learned that the ball travels faster than the man. Not sure McGeady has ever picked up that trait to his game.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For all those against including McGeady in a squad*, who would you include as right wingers? Apart from O Dowda, we have no one else to play/cover that position. Don't tell me Jonathan Walters. He's not a winger, he's a forward. And while I'd like to see Matt Doherty given a go in that position, I see him more as a right full back when named in a squad.

*I'm not saying "team", as I believe O Dowda would/should start ahead of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Two players playing different positions, however I do take your point.

McGeady built his career around trickery and a burst of speed to get beyond the last man. Wes obviously had that earlier in his career, but peaked when he learned that the ball travels faster than the man. Not sure McGeady has ever picked up that trait to his game.
    The biggest bug bear with McGeady for me was always trying too many tricks and then a lack of quality crossing. Very frustrating when he clearly had the tools in his locker. However, I feel his game has matured. But at 33, no doubt had lost a little pace. Having said that, I’ve not been watching League 1 so don’t really know other than the stats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I think O 'Dowda is a far better option now.
    I'd have O'Dowda down as a starter at this stage but obviously McCarthy might have other ideas. I wouldn't consider McGeady to be in direct competition with him, more in competition with the fringe players who will make up the squad. I still think he could still be more useful than a lot of them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogdog View Post
    For all those against including McGeady in a squad*, who would you include as right wingers? Apart from O Dowda, we have no one else to play/cover that position. Don't tell me Jonathan Walters. He's not a winger, he's a forward. And while I'd like to see Matt Doherty given a go in that position, I see him more as a right full back when named in a squad.

*I'm not saying "team", as I believe O Dowda would/should start ahead of him.
    I've made the case elsewhere for pushing Cyrus Christie further forward as we have three Premier League Full-backs to accommodate. I thought his marauding runs as wing-back were about the only bright spot of the debacle against Mexico in 2017 (one of two Ireland games I've managed to see in full in in the last two years, admittedly). I understand people have concerns about his defensive capabilities but that wouldn't be as much of a concern if he has another full-back behind him. Plus he could change positions with Coleman/Doherty on the fly, keeping opposition defenses guessing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Ninth of the season for McGeady against Accrington tonight - challenged an Accrington player who miscontrolled in midfield while facing his own half, did a step-on-the-ball turn, ran towards the Accrington goal, passed to the right and when the cross broke to him in the box, finished clinically: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47166881
    There are cases for other players to make up the midfield portion of the squad, but McGeady is still an option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    He’s taking some free kicks for Sunderland as well these days. Saw a fine effort come off the post in a recent game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Had a few outspoken views on Coleman in the Sunderland Til I Die documentary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Watched the last half hour of that match. McGeady was quite obviously the best footballer on show by far. Good interview afterwards where he expressed his frustration that Sunderland were having to come from a goal down just to earn another draw, of which they have a veritable plethora.
    He still has a hunger about him. I'd hope Mick considers him. Can leave a full back on his arse, no problem still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Had a few outspoken views on Coleman in the Sunderland Til I Die documentary
    He did, but I don't think they stood up to much scrutiny. He claimed he had never played in a 4-3-3 before and didn't know what his defensive duties were. I read somewhere that he played in a 4-3-3 pretty regularly for Spartak. Whether he had or hadn't, surely he's experienced enough to just ask the manager/coaches for a bit more instruction. I'm a big McGeady fan but I thought he sounded like he was absolving himself of any personal responsibility.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Scored once again today