Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Surely Sean Maguire has to be starting?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Lost 3-2 in a dramatic game it seems, the Serbs also got a goal from a penalty. Al ittle info here on our new goalkeeper.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35027280.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Lost 3-2 for the record.

Were 2-0 and 3-1 down. Goals from O'Dowda and Maguire and plenty of chances to get the draw apparently.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Eligible through his dad's grandparents? Foreign births register at work I assume.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Noticed that too. I assume they meant to say his grandparents or his father's parents and got mixed up. Otherwise, that'll be his only call-up for us as he'd be ineligible surely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/manch...ht-at-u21-call

The youngster was born in Stretford and often heard the crowds at Old Trafford from his house when he was growing up but with grandparents from Galway he was always aware of his eligibility to play for Ireland.
    There's more on his background there but the morale of the story is don't trust the online Indo...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Sqaud for the qualifier against Serbia on Friday: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/king-...a-clash-at-rsc
    Lawlor has since been called into the senior side, according to today's Indo Eric Grimes and Stephen McGuinness have been called up as replacements
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Looks a strong team.

2019 U21 champ is for players born after 1/1/1996.

It is the last game for
    Eoghan O'Connell
    Kevin O'Connor
    Darragh Lenihan
    Thomas Hoban
    Alan Browne
    Courtney Duffus
    Eric Grimes
    Sean Kavanagh
    Sean Maguire
    Sean Hoare

Players for next campaign
    Liam Bossin
    Kieran O'Hara
    Liam Kinsella
    Shaun Donnellan
    Kevin Toner
    Noe Baba
    Daniel Cleary
    Bobby Moseley
    Jack Byrne
    Josh Cullen
    Harry Charsley
    Connor Dimaio
    Jake Mulraney
    Olamide Shodipo
    Reece Grego-Cox
    Josh Barrett
    amongst others.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 07/10/2016 at 4:46 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Goal Duffus

Serbia miss peno

Equaliser

Ah 2-1 Serbia
    Last edited by Closed Account; 07/10/2016 at 6:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'd like to see us bid to host the 2019 Championships. We need to start building up a resilience in the underage tournaments again.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post

Looks a strong team.

2019 U21 champ is for players born after 1/1/1996.

It is the last game for
    Eoghan O'Connell
    Kevin O'Connor
    Darragh Lenihan
    Thomas Hoban
    Alan Browne
    Courtney Duffus
    Eric Grimes
    Sean Kavanagh
    Sean Maguire
    Sean Hoare

Players for next campaign
    Liam Bossin
    Kieran O'Hara
    Liam Kinsella
    Shaun Donnellan
    Kevin Toner
    Noe Baba
    Daniel Cleary
    Bobby Moseley
    Jack Byrne
    Josh Cullen
    Harry Charsley
    Connor Dimaio
    Jake Mulraney
    Olamide Shodipo
    Reece Grego-Cox
    Josh Barrett
    amongst others.
    I agree with that - looking towards the senior team, I reckon there's four players in that squad who you could reasonably promote to the senior squad immediately based on being fairly well established at Championship level and could do a decent job for us - Hoban, Lenihan, Shodipo and Browne - although I acknowledge they'll probably have to wait to the end of the season at least. O'Connell and Byrne could put themselves into the reckoning over the next couple of the months if they can get more consistent game time at Celtic and Blackburn (I know some might think Byrne in particular should be ahead of the likes of Lenihan and Shodipo but I think he's slipped just behind them for now, anyway).

Cullen, DiMaio, Mulraney, Maguire and Kinsella are all playing a level below where we could look at them as serious contenders for a call-up, but they seem to be fairly well established in their respective divisions so if they continue to do well, they may get an upward move within the next twelve months and become options. And I think Charsley and Duffus are pretty well regarded at Everton and will hopefully get a chance to prove themselves at senior level soon.

Together with the promotion to the squad fringe of Lawlor and O'Dowda, with other youngsters making progress and with the likes of Hourihane, Williams, Cunningham, Judge and Egan pretty much ready to go now, it looks like we will have a squad with greater depth over the next couple of years.

The question is how and when do we blood these players in? This should actually be a major task for the management team (perhaps more important than recruiting new players - oh dear, I've just become TOWK) but there's a problem in that we don't have the opportunity to do that. The FAI announced an end-of-season friendly against Uruguay today, but it's scheduled to be only a week before the Austria game and, as a result, will likely be used for fine-tuning and preparation for that vital qualifier). So unless there's a tour next summer, it's going to be very hard to bring more than a couple of these into the fold in a planned, non-injury-or-retirement-crisis manner.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Look how long it's taking Conor Hourihane, Matt Doherty and John Egan to get a look in.

Shodipo only has about seven games at senior level.

We are probably one of the oldest - if not the oldest - Intl teams in Europe.

It's going to be ages before any of these lads are blooded.

The average Irish player makes their Intl debut at what, 25?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Look how long it's taking Conor Hourihane, Matt Doherty and John Egan to get a look in.

22, according to the numbers I have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I agree with that - looking towards the senior team, I reckon there's four players in that squad who you could reasonably promote to the senior squad immediately based on being fairly well established at Championship level and could do a decent job for us - Hoban, Lenihan, Shodipo and Browne - although I acknowledge they'll probably have to wait to the end of the season at least. O'Connell and Byrne could put themselves into the reckoning over the next couple of the months if they can get more consistent game time at Celtic and Blackburn (I know some might think Byrne in particular should be ahead of the likes of Lenihan and Shodipo but I think he's slipped just behind them for now, anyway).

Cullen, DiMaio, Mulraney, Maguire and Kinsella are all playing a level below where we could look at them as serious contenders for a call-up, but they seem to be fairly well established in their respective divisions so if they continue to do well, they may get an upward move within the next twelve months and become options. And I think Charsley and Duffus are pretty well regarded at Everton and will hopefully get a chance to prove themselves at senior level soon.

Together with the promotion to the squad fringe of Lawlor and O'Dowda, with other youngsters making progress and with the likes of Hourihane, Williams, Cunningham, Judge and Egan pretty much ready to go now, it looks like we will have a squad with greater depth over the next couple of years.

The question is how and when do we blood these players in? This should actually be a major task for the management team (perhaps more important than recruiting new players - oh dear, I've just become TOWK) but there's a problem in that we don't have the opportunity to do that. The FAI announced an end-of-season friendly against Uruguay today, but it's scheduled to be only a week before the Austria game and, as a result, will likely be used for fine-tuning and preparation for that vital qualifier). So unless there's a tour next summer, it's going to be very hard to bring more than a couple of these into the fold in a planned, non-injury-or-retirement-crisis manner.
    Great post Sam. As I've said in a couple of posts at this stage, it should be happening yesterday. I think it should have happened on a small scale at the euros with maybe two or three call ups but I'll accept that such a move would have been unlikely however I can't for the life of me understand why MON and RK didn't overhaul the squad at the beginning of this campaign. They easily could have switched out 5 or 6 old or crap players for young up and comers without damaging our qualification hopes in a material way. Instead we find ourselves in a situation where, to your point, we can't introduce a number of decent players for another two(ish) years. I know we have O'Dowda and Duffy and there's the Arter and Judge efforts but it's not enough for me.

To TOWKs point - and I don't feel as strongly about it as he does - how must it feel to these players to see the management team make public overtures to get Hogan to declare and be called into the squad while they are putting in a similar effort, playing to the same or higher level, are committed to us and just remain on the outside expecting to patiently bide their time for the likes of Pearce, O'Shea, McShane, Wilson, Whelan, Quinn, McGeady, Meyler, Walters and the likes to be dropped when arguably 5 of the 9 there could or should have been dropped two years ago.

We have very good players out there that we need to intentionally start pulling through. We missed a trick at the start of this campaign.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

I know it might be a bit debatable putting Shodipo ahead of, say, Jack Byrne, especially as I myself usually like players to have played more at Championship level or have a significant number of games at a lower level under their belt at least before consideration (as Byrne had at Cambuur - I think when you look at the Eredivisie, it's kind of like two or even three divisions squashed into one and Byrne was in the bottom club).

My choice to put Shodipo into the tentative "ready for call up" group is in this case a bit of a gut call, admittedly, based on the endorsement of Hasselbaink, when he said that he was not going to send him out on loan and had immediate plans for him and the fact that, so far at least, Shodipo has held his place, whereas Byrne is not part of the immediate plans of his parent club's plans and seems to have lost his place at Blackburn. I just feel that Shodipo seems to be on an upward trajectory at this moment whereas Byrne has hit a bit of bump in the road in his career path. Of course this situation could change over the next couple of months if Byrne gets back in the Blackburn team and starts to impress.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/king-...-double-header. A second duffus brother called up and the keeper from Utd included. City whelan who is gettin very little action in liverpools 23 s included and Declan rice who is an under 18 promoted .

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Dylan Watts promoted as well now that he's joined a proper club.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He should have joined Dundalk.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Lads what is with the lack of coverage for the two friendly games ... have the CIA put a media ban on Noel King ?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast