Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

RTE Panel

With Ukraine v France being delayed due to rain, a fantastic debate about the Irish media's treatment of Trap has broken out.

Intriguing stuff. Worth sticking on if you gave the game a miss
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Would love to have seen that.

Any synopsis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    It was excellent TV, but Dunphy made a really odd point. He mentioned the 3 billion going into the Premier League and linked it to Trapattoni(this is the money that's paying his salary...) does anyone know what he was getting at? It made no sense, its not like we were talking about England team?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    There's talk of pyramids etc on another thread. English football disrupts our pyramid really badly, as it does to Scotland. The £3 billion will only make it worse. Pre-EPL we used to be essentially a part of the British pyramid and in many respects we still are, but we get no solidarity payment and only paltry transfer fees. In that context I see the increasing inflow of £££ to England as making things harder for us. Is that Dunphy's point?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There's talk of pyramids etc on another thread. English football disrupts our pyramid really badly, as it does to Scotland. The £3 billion will only make it worse. Pre-EPL we used to be essentially a part of the British pyramid and in many respects we still are, but we get no solidarity payment and only paltry transfer fees. In that context I see the increasing inflow of £££ to England as making things harder for us. Is that Dunphy's point?
    Nah, Dunphy doesn't extend his thought process that far. He was justifying why the media should be asking the hard questions from Trap and somehow tried to relate it to Trap's salary and ended up rambling about £3bn of TV money which comes into the game from the pockets of the people into Trap's bank account. therefore the journalist has the right to represent the people.
    Brady was more or less saying that football is the relevant issue not Trap's salary, that you don't need to justify asking football questions from Trap because he's paid a nice salary, just ask the (damn) questions.
    Last edited by geysir; 15/06/2012 at 6:59 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Brady and Dunphy were also debating Traps quotes that were in the papers this morning, and the possible meanings of them. Brady saying that they were deliberately given a false meaning, Dunphy and Sadlier saying the press have every right to ask for clarification on what he meant.

Brady was waving about a copy of the Irish Daily Mail at one point. Suggested the press meet before these press conferences to agree how to hammer him. Dunphy, Sadlier and Darragh Maloney saying that doesn't go on in their opinion, but agreed that certain people within the press sensationalise issues when it suits them, and that their editors encourage this.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I thoughy Brady made Sadlier look quiet foolish actually. There seemed to be a mutual respect between Dunphy and Brady, both acknowledging the other had a point but any defence Sadlier put forward for the journalists right to ask certain questions was put down pretty quickly by Brady. I'm not the biggest fan of Sadliers analyses and so I might be a bit biased in how I saw it, but still it was a fascinating discussion.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    While RTE was having a pretty interesting debate on all these topics in order to fill the time before the game re-started, ITV threw on highlights of England and France.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I enjoy the off the cuff debates that goes on in the RTE panel, not afraid to disagree with one another which is great. Was another similar incident between Kenny and Dunphy a few days ago.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    There was a good retort quip from Brady after Maloney remarked that he was surrounded by 2 former Millwall players, unusual to have ex Millwall players showing in front of tv.
    Yeah, drawls Brady, you'd usually see them showing up in the dock.
    Last edited by geysir; 15/06/2012 at 11:33 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    thought this was worth posting here

]You think you know Bill O’Herlihy. He’s like that inoffensive ornament on the living room mantel that blends in against a beige wall. The background noise you’ve got used to.

The uncle that’s always there at special occasions, good humoured and chatty, but you don’t delve deeper into his personality and before you realise it he’s gone, back to his day-to-day meanderings you know nothing about.

But whatever about you underestimating a man too often introduced shallowly as the chair of a football discussion, you wonder does he undervalue himself? Back at the beginning of the year, when the suggestion of ghosting his autobiography crept up, we went for a cup of tea together to discuss the finer print. He was warm and engaging, but he was reticent too as his opening words were as worrying as they were humble. "To be honest, I don’t know if anyone wants to read about me," he announced. "And I’m not even sure I’ve done enough to justify a book. What is there to write about?"

Minutes later though, there was an unstoppable torrent of stories as empty cups were whisked away and refills arrived at our table. It was a jumble of personalities and eras, of characters and places, together forming a sort of social history you didn’t dare interrupt.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archive...ey-196846.html

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    thought this was worth posting here

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archive...ey-196846.html
    Laughing Bill asked some really good questions about Irish football the other night. It was kinda creepy.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    ''There was Eamon Dunphy refusing to talk to him on and off air for a couple of days during the 1982 World Cup because he thought O’Herlihy called him, and not his comments, cheap.''

The lads are going 30(plus?) years, wonder what them days were like?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    With Bill 73 and Giles 71 you'd imagine they're drawing near the end? Darragh Maloney is a really good anchor and with the likes of Kenny Cunningham and Richie Sadler the next generation are quite god and in truth an awful lot better. I think nostalgia has blinkered us to the actual quality of insight from Bill and Giles for the past while. Dunphy never had that of course but he remains entertaining, just keep Ronnie Whelan away.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    The Panel - my favourite topic Since it came in to being, it has one primary objective - that is to attack the incumbent Irish manager. Every single one of them has got it in spades from Laughing Bill, who usually leads the attack and still snipes at Charlton, Giles and Dunphy. Up to relatively recently it was just the "I agree with John/Eamonn" show with no balance but at least this year Brady is there to at least put up some defence of Trap (the attacks started way before the tournament). They are of course entitled to express their views but what always annoyed me is there was no one presenting a dissenting view about Hand, Jack, Mick or Kerr (hard to find a dissenting view for Stan). Even the polls they were running were anti manager "Should Trap have brought McLean even though he wasn't going to play him". Talk about stirring up anti-Trap feeling.

If I get a penny for everytime I hear Giles talking about playing the ball out from the back with no danger I'd be a rich man. Look at the first 3 minutes of the Croatia and Spain games ffs to see where the danger lies. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr but no one mentions that. It's watchable because it's a comedy show really and we know the characters so well. I was interested though in hearing Dunphy knocking Keane as a pundit. Claims he can't analyse a game even though he has been a manager. I think Dunphy fears the controversial seat in the panel may be offered elsewhere.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    with the likes of Kenny Cunningham and Richie Sadler the next generation are quite god
    That's high praise

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Great stuff Decky, thanks.

I agree more with Brady - the media has had an agenda, most of all David Kelly who constantly spouts nonsense and has done since Trap was appointed. Even on Weds or Thurs (pre-Spain) Kelly was critical of the choice of Sopot as our base as the hotel was a few hundred yards from the fans, whereas Spain were up in the hills playing cards - a manifestly better option for some reason only obvious to Kelly. Kelly facetiously cited "the little details". I saw the team hotel and very nice it was too, and in a lovely spot where the players coull relax.

It was Kelly's typical poison which discredits any justified criticism of Trap he may have. I think Brady is also partially right - Trap's comments about the players making uncharacteristic mistakes was not a pop, it was fair comment. Dunphy is also right though, Trap's tactics and selection put them even more up against it that they needed to be. Cox in midfield FFS.

I personally think Trap's methods are out of date and reduced our already low chances of getting out of the group, and his selections have been odd over the years. But - our press always turns on managers and they hunt as a pack. Stan deserved it, but I still think Kerr was driven out for factors unrelated to results and performances (which didn't justify his retention imho).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    This week has seen the Trap out brigade out in force. The same flag waving, plastic hammer toting gombeens that we all know.

Trap shouldn't leave. his tactics were flawed and some of his decision making was suspect. But I can only hope that he can see the errors.

As Stutts says his comments re the players making mistakes never came across to me as him having a pop at them at all. But like anything you will hear what you want to hear.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    This week has seen the Trap out brigade out in force. The same flag waving, plastic hammer toting gombeens that we all know.
    Could be argued thats the ones supporting Trap and the "sure it will do attitude"?, and "we are only little ireland", etc etc -

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast