Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Best Irish Prospects 21 & Under

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    anybody care to indulge a lazy b@stard like me and give a quick profile on the ones ive highlighted as i have heard little to nothing about any of them...
    Mark O'Brien plays for Derby and had a health scare recently. Back playing in January as far as I know. Richie Towell plays right full/centre mid for Celtic reserves. Played against him when he was playing over here. Quality player.
    Last edited by Troubadour; 21/12/2009 at 12:56 AM.
    ♫ Sally Cinnamon, You're My World ♫

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I'm with Razor on this one. Connor Clifford seems like a great prospect who might just get his debut with Chelsea during the upcoming African Cup of Nations. I'm cautious about getting too carried away when you look at over-hyped busts we've had in recent years such as Anthony Stokes and James McCarthy.
    I wouldn't rule out Stokes or McCarthy. In fact I would rate Stokes as a better prospect than Clifford at this moment in time. Stokes will never be a top international player for a number of reasons but he knows how to score goals and that's a quality that will keep him in the professional game and the senior international frame for some time to come.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Is kendrick from claremorris? Signed by yer man who used to manage wigan, scouser i think, name completely gone as all i can think of is billy davies. Dunphy was saying he would be a great manager for ireland when we were searching.

ANyway if it is im pretty sure that lad is only 16.

Is that kallum keane a plastic?
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 21/12/2009 at 10:32 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Lots of irish players in that derby team, im assuming there must be someone quite high up in their youth development/scouting system thats Irish or has irish connections. There seems to be a couple of other lads born in london that could be irish too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Is kendrick from claremorris? Signed by yer man who used to manage wigan, scouser i think, name completely gone as all i can think of is billy davies. Dunphy was saying he would be a great manager for ireland when we were searching.

ANyway if it is im pretty sure that lad is only 16.

Is that kallum keane a plastic?

Paul Jewell
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Others to keep an eye on
    Gearoid Morrissey - Midfielder with Blackburn -from Cork
    Callum Morris Cente Half - very highly thought of in Newcastle
    Stephen Mc Donnell - midfielder with Celtic - from Dundalk
    Robert Kiernan Centre Half with Watford - already played for first team
    Stephen Folan with Newcastle - from Galway - midfielder
    Graham Carey- Celtic left sided midfielder - on loan with Bohs last year
    Cilian Sheridan - on loan with Plymouth
    Alan Judge on loan with Plymouth
    David Meyler - with Sunderland
    Conor Hourihane- with Sunderland
    Michael Spillane - Defender/midfielder with Norwich
    Keith Treacy - forwrad with Blackburn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zackmorris View Post
    McGinty was recently signed by Man Utd from Charlton and is a very impressive centre back. He is from London and the English FA have been after him for a while but he appears to be staying with Ireland for the moment.
    Oh God, how long until Don Givens man manages his allegiences a few hundred miles east?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    not really much wheareas in my other country belgium we have so many talented prospects. and these are not nobodies playing for derby county and teams like that we're talking about players that the big teams want desperately. now we just have to hope they don't opt for their parents country all our best players are immigrants in some form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    not really much wheareas in my other country belgium we have so many talented prospects. and these are not nobodies playing for derby county and teams like that we're talking about players that the big teams want desperately. now we just have to hope they don't opt for their parents country all our best players are immigrants in some form.
    I've seen one of them play Ajax last week. Romelu Lukaku ...what a talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    oh yeah that kid is class. i support anderlecht too. the prospect is good for the belgians, however we said that last time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    oh yeah that kid is class. i support anderlecht too. the prospect is good for the belgians, however we said that last time
    It's funny how the stock of Belgium has fallen!I was talking to two young lads at work (20 year olds) about the Euro 2012 qualifiers and they were saying that they wouldn't mind Belgium as 4th seeds....they couldn't get over when I told them that Belgium used to be consistently one of the top 6-10 teams in the world. Anyhow I know you have great young players coming through so good luck with that. My only argument with your above comments would be that alot of our young lads are playing at top English clubs or at premiership clubs (arguably the best league in the world) and it's much harder to break through than big Belgian clubs, who are admittedly very decent. I think it's very conceivable that Conor Clifford, Robbie Brady, Sean Scannell, Aaron Doran and David Meyler would've played first team for big Belgian clubs by now.

Here's my top 10:
    Conor Clifford (saw him at the recent 4 team tournament with Portugal, Holland and Turkey in Tallaght and he got best player - whether he makes it at Chelsea is hard to say, but surely going to eventually become a top player).
    Robbie Brady - considered a brilliant talent at Man U - like Clifford might have to go to a West Ham type club before being given the chance to fully realise his potential.
    Conor Hourihane - at the Euro under 17 tournament when Ireland did poorly, Conor was very impressive and got in the uefa 11. A good prospect. http://www.eleven-a-side.com/printer...er.asp?p=32334
    David Meyler - consistently on the bench at Sunderland. Steve Bruce thinks highly of him.
    Sean Scannell - very talented player who could go all the way. Still very raw though. The next year will tell alot.
    Mark O'Brien - only for health problems, he'd be in the first team at Derby. Made his debut at 16 for them. Very talented player.
    Aaron Doran - played premiership first team football at Blackburn at 17. Very talented and should benefit from being toughened up at lowel league level.
    Mark Connolly - Megon thinks highly of him and poached him from the Wolves academy.
    Mark Wilson - playing well for Pompey. Still raw but has the talent to become a very good premiership player.
    James McCarthy - a very promising player. People should remember his age before saying that he hasn't reached his potential like an Anthony Stokes. It's gonna take him time to settle in at Wigan, but he's mature enough to go all the way.

Throw in Seamus Coleman and Darron Gibson and it's looking hopeful for the future. I haven't seen Sean McGinty but I understand that he's an exceptional prospect. Conor Henderson of Arsenal is meant to be very special too. I'm sure there's plenty of others that deserve a mention.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Meant to say that Owen Garvan has great potential too but I'm not sure about his attitude.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    What about that Selcuk guy ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Owen Garvan's been compared to Gerrard, i think he could be a brill player.Only 21 aswell.

Others (imo) Coleman, Scannell, Gibson, Eddie Nolan, Cillian Sheridan..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Excellent information guys. I am worried with our current age profile - particularly that of our Senior and most important players i.e. Dunne, Keane, Duff that we need to seem some young talent come through sooner rather than later.

Robbie Keane is probably the last wonderkid we have had - someone who burst onto the scene and made it as a a top top player (though not world class perhaps as was predicted).

Clifford at Chelsea sounds like a great prospect from what I read on the net and from some online footage of him playing for CFC reservses including a superb volleyed goal. Anyone know if he is likely to see some first team action this season?

James McCarthy was so hyped and I see hes made the bench once or twice at Wigan. I understood he chose Wigan over other clubs on the basis of more promise of first team action. Lets hope he gets a shot to impress.

Noticeably in the posts to date there is not a lot of strikers on the list thus far. I see Stokes is flying in Scotland again. Would be nice to see him knuckle down and fulfill his undoubted potential.

Owen Garvan has massive potential and has played a lot of games already in his career. Would love to see him get a move to the premiership.

Glad I have found a site can keep me informed on all things Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    My main worry about the future is that we don't seem to be producing a whole heap of strikers, do we?

Shane Long has seemed to have went backwards and doesn't even get his game for Reading anymore.

Cillian Sheridan is useful, holds the ball up well and can play a bit, but he doesn't seem to have a real strikers instinct.

Anthony Stokes has had his chances in the Premier League and struggled. I know he's still young, but this doesn't exactly bode well.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    My main worry about the future is that we don't seem to be producing a whole heap of strikers, do we?

Shane Long has seemed to have went backwards and doesn't even get his game for Reading anymore.

Cillian Sheridan is useful, holds the ball up well and can play a bit, but he doesn't seem to have a real strikers instinct.

Anthony Stokes has had his chances in the Premier League and struggled. I know he's still young, but this doesn't exactly bode well.

Thoughts?
    I'm hoping Leon Best or Stokes will step up.

Cilian Sheridan is to slow, and couldnt score in a brothel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddickcule View Post
    Owen Garvan's been compared to Gerrard, i think he could be a brill player.Only 21 aswell.

Others (imo) Coleman, Scannell, Gibson, Eddie Nolan, Cillian Sheridan..
    That whole Garvan Gerrard thing is never going to happen. I mean the guy should be a standout performer in the english division1 if he has such potential not just some random player

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagger View Post
    Cilian Sheridan is to slow, and couldnt score in a brothel
    The last part may be true but the guy is quicker than many think. Check out the quotes from his coaches in the Cillian Sheridan thread.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    That whole Garvan Gerrard thing is never going to happen. I mean the guy should be a standout performer in the english division1 if he has such potential not just some random player
    Maybe he'll get the chance next season

In fairness, he has been a stand out in the Championship in previous seasons - in the eyes of non-Irish journalists - but he has had a poor season (if you'd even call it that) so far. I think the guy has the talent, the footballing brain and the athleticism to be a top player, I just think he may not have the attitude or work ethic. Something's up anyway.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast