PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Cup 31/7 Latest

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dodge
01/08/2008, 11:40 AM
Who could they meet in the third round if they got through?

nobodies like AC milan, valencia and Sevilla

Duggie
01/08/2008, 11:41 AM
I'm nowhere near as confident as you lot

well it gives pats the best oppurtunity of going through put it that way.
its up to them to give it a good go. capable of doing that i believe with fahey a big influence.

paul_oshea
01/08/2008, 11:41 AM

is it possble to meet anyone in the 3rd round/1st round proper?

Feck sure how is a team expected to get to the group stages so. PSG were prolly one of the weaker sides the time Derry got them.

Duggie
01/08/2008, 11:43 AM

pffffftttt piece of pie

kevincronin2000
01/08/2008, 11:43 AM
just remember Cirk City beat sweedish opposition at this stage of the competion a few seasons back to play Slavia Prague in the first round propper of the uefa cup..

.. Belive

Cork City have beatem Malmo and Djurgardens and Derry knocked out IFK so nothing to fear what so ever.

pineapple stu
01/08/2008, 12:10 PM
I'm nowhere near as confident as you lot
Agreed. Half way through their season and they've conceded five goals. Tough tough game (and not a big draw either). Still the best tie out of the five. A draw at home is probably the best to be hoped for.

Edit - forgot they're the side Bohs "should" have faced in the Totototo final. Adds a bit of interest.

Martinho II
01/08/2008, 12:21 PM
Absolutely shocking result...and to think Cork fans mocked Longford for their disaster in Wales:eek:

they have got their comeuppance at long last.. now its cork city turn!the baton has bein passed on from us..:)

gspain
01/08/2008, 12:30 PM
Queen of the South were the ideal draw but they ended up in a different section. Elfsborg will be favourites and will be very tough however Pats have a good chance..

OneRedArmy
01/08/2008, 12:35 PM
I'm nowhere near as confident as you lotRemember there's an inverse experience curve operating in this thread.

Those who have feck all experience of European football know the most simply by looking at statistically insignificant datapoints in a 5 year rolling average coefficient....

finnpark
01/08/2008, 1:09 PM
Mathews Euro record continues, he started with a 4-5-1 when we needed to score.:rolleyes:

Can anyone post up his awful record here. The drubbing by that Welsh side was the worst ever

jinxy lilywhite
01/08/2008, 1:34 PM
Good Draw for Pat's. 50-50 game can go anyway. Progression is better at this stage than a glamour tie.
Someone posted that an away tie first would be better but I'd tend to disagree. Would cork of got a decent home gate if they got hammered in finland in the first leg? I don't think they would.

paul_oshea
01/08/2008, 1:51 PM
It was I, I didnt mean it in terms of gate receipts, I meant it in terms of, each team knows exactly what htey need in the second leg, and each team therefore at home in the first leg may be a little more complacent as they know they have a second leg no matter what. Irish teams that can go all out in the first leg away and try and secure a draw, have their destiny in their own hands when they return home. Isn't it better to have that at home in the second leg, than away in the second leg? Home advantage and all that. We have seen too many EL teams battle out scoreless draws in the frst leg at home, only to be convincingly beaten in the second. The game that best suits my example is shels away(against split) where they knew exactly what they had to do at home and did it. Look at Derry away against PSG etc(and at home etc). I'd like to see the full stats actually, either way, certainly against bigger teams it seemed to help to have the first leg away from home.

finnpark
01/08/2008, 1:53 PM
Good Draw for Pat's. 50-50 game can go anyway. Progression is better at this stage than a glamour tie.
Someone posted that an away tie first would be better but I'd tend to disagree. Would cork of got a decent home gate if they got hammered in finland in the first leg? I don't think they would.

I posted that its easier to progress being drawn away first.

finnpark
01/08/2008, 1:54 PM
It was I, I didnt mean it in terms of gate receipts, I meant it in terms of, each team knows exactly what htey need in the second leg, and each team therefore at home in the first leg may be a little more complacent as they know they have a second leg no matter what. Irish teams that can go all out in the first leg away and try and secure a draw, have their destiny in their own hands when they return home. Isn't it better to have that at home in the second leg, than away in the second leg? Home advantage and all that.

Yes, I agree. The first 45 minutes of the tie usually involves the teams getting to know each other and each team being cautious. The 2nd leg is normally more open so its important to have home advantage.

superfrank
01/08/2008, 2:20 PM
they have got their comeuppance at long last.. now its cork city turn!the baton has bein passed on from us..:)
Losing to a part-time, out of season team is far worse than losing to a full-time, mid-season team. Add to that, Cork were effectively trailing from the first leg.

Cork's result was bad but it was not worse than Longford's 5-1.

adamcarr
01/08/2008, 2:23 PM

The common link is that tit of a manager that you sent down here.

Dodge
01/08/2008, 2:27 PM
Cork's result was bad but it was not worse than Longford's 5-1.

Co-efficiently speaking at least Longford won the home leg...

Duggie
01/08/2008, 2:33 PM
I posted that its easier to progress being drawn away first.

i dont know - its only easier if u do well in the first leg. personally i dont think it matters, the tie is over two legs anyway so if u do your stuff in both games the result will take care of itself IMO.

sadloserkid
01/08/2008, 2:51 PM
AFAIK, Haka are full-time. Carmarthen weren't.

Can anybody confirm that Haka are fulltime. Somebody told me the other day that they're not?

horrible result. embarrassing for the league. I thought the fist leg result was actually alright in that Haka are probably underrated a bit - but i wasnt expecting this.

Nail on head. Fully expected Cork to lose by a goal or two. As it was it's actually an embarrassing result.

Duggie
01/08/2008, 2:54 PM
Can anybody confirm that Haka are fulltime. Somebody told me the other day that they're not?

Nail on head. Fully expected Cork to lose by a goal or two. As it was it's actually an embarrassing result.

id say they are, prob the same as over here with some full time and some part time. but id imagine haka are.

Steve Bruce
01/08/2008, 3:15 PM
Linfield played Elfsborg last season.

They are a decent outfit but definately beatable. Linfield SHOULD have went through the next round last season and we are only a part-time team out of season.

So really with St Pats being full-time, in season I wouldn't say they are certs, but certainly in a decent position to compete and get past this team.

It's not an easy tie, but definately winnable.

My prediction St Pats to lose by the odd goal.

TheBoss
01/08/2008, 3:17 PM

They are a decent outfit but definately beatable. Linfield SHOULD have went through the next round last season and we are only a part-time team out of season.

So really with St Pats being full-time, in season I wouldn't say they are certs, but certainly in a decent position to compete and get past this team.

Talk about raising your hopes and then knocking them down :D

Steve Bruce
01/08/2008, 3:19 PM
Talk about raising your hopes and then knocking them down :D

:D

But in all seriousness, St Pats should go into this game thinking they can win this, because on their day they can win this tie.

SUB of the day
02/08/2008, 11:02 AM
All the best to Pats, good chance to progress.If the game is in the balance for the second leg, will the game be moved from( UEFA enforced )two sided Richmond Park? Tolka seems a good alternative.

Dodge
02/08/2008, 11:11 AM
All the best to Pats, good chance to progress.If the game is in the balance for the second leg, will the game be moved from( UEFA enforced )two sided Richmond Park? Tolka seems a good alternative.

Better 3,000 in Richmond than 3,000 in Tolka

paudie
02/08/2008, 1:08 PM
My tuppence worth on the City v Haka game.

Surely our worst European result ever. Was at the first leg and Haka were no great shakes and were all over the place at the end when we went at them.

not sure about blaming Matthews for going 4-5-1 but it looks like our usual "first 30 minutes are for passing the ball around and DEFINITELY not for scoring" attitude came unstuck big time. Don't know why we can't play with urgency from the first minute. BTW this was a problem last year under Rico as well.

paudie
02/08/2008, 1:09 PM
BTW the way well done to Pats. Couldn't do better than beat a team from one our close coefficient competitors home and away.

Not a bad draw in next round. Good luck.

pete
02/08/2008, 1:23 PM
Home game in second leg is definitely best. As mentioned above the first 30 minutes of first legs are usually cautious as teams check each out. Being away in first leg means you can play cautiously & maybe pick up an away goal. In fact it is exactly what Haka did to us.

Where will Pats play home game? Tolka? Would 5,000 turn up there?

green army
02/08/2008, 5:48 PM

did you go over to the away leg. stay in gothenborg or boras?

DmanDmythDledge
02/08/2008, 8:44 PM
Where will Pats play home game? Tolka? Would 5,000 turn up there?
I doubt they would get all that much more than their last game. Even if there could sell more than the capacity of Richmond it would be better to keep home advantage and a packed Richmond rather than everyone scattered around Tolka.

superfrank
04/08/2008, 3:19 PM
I doubt they would get all that much more than their last game. Even if there could sell more than the capacity of Richmond it would be better to keep home advantage and a packed Richmond rather than everyone scattered around Tolka.
Agreed.

I don't see the crowds piling in to see Elfsborg, with all respect.

TonyD
04/08/2008, 6:29 PM
Agreed.

Absolutely. And depending on the away result, which will hopefully keep the tie alive, a full house in Richmond would give Pats a better chance of progressing in my view.

paul_oshea
04/08/2008, 7:16 PM
Tony, that post completely contradicts the previous quoted post.

bigmac
05/08/2008, 9:58 AM
Tony, that post completely contradicts the previous quoted post.

how? a full house at home is better than a full house or a nearly full house at some other stadium in the city.

paul_oshea
05/08/2008, 10:25 AM
ya i agree, but thats not how i read his post.

superfrank said they would do well to see the crowds piling in (anywhere)for Elfsborg. Tony says he agrees "absolutely" and then says " a full house in Richmond would give Pats a better chance of progressing in my view.
"

Dodge
05/08/2008, 10:29 AM
He obviously meant anything over what Richmond would heold is the crowds "piling in" seeing as he was agreeing with a post that Pats shouldn't need to move the game.

bigmac
05/08/2008, 11:38 AM

superfrank said they would do well to see the crowds piling in (anywhere)for Elfsborg. Tony says he agrees "absolutely" and then says " a full house in Richmond would give Pats a better chance of progressing in my view.
"

Oh right - I read it as Inchicore would be fairly full if Pats were in with a shout but Elfsborg aren't the kind of team that would draw an awful lot of non regular fans and necessitate a move. Either way, everyone thinks that it should be played in Inchicore.

DmanDmythDledge
05/08/2008, 11:41 AM

"
Read my post that superfrank quoted and you should get what he meant. Pats almost sold out for their last game against Olimps.

pineapple stu
05/08/2008, 11:53 AM
Agreed.

Agree. Though Elfsborg will presumably bring some away fans (200, maybe?), but that'd only fill the gaps that were there for the Olimps game. No need to move it from Richmond for the sake of a couple of hundred extra tops.

superfrank
05/08/2008, 1:53 PM

"
Pats had something like 2,500 for the game against JFK Olimps. Elfsborg are probably just as well known to the Irish footballing public.

Therefore, the crowd isn't going to be substantially bulked up by curious bystanders. That's why, imo, Pats should keep the game at Richmond and fill it, like they did for the JFK game, instead of going all out for the money a la Shels in Landsdowne.

higgins
05/08/2008, 2:06 PM
instead of going all out for the money a la Shels in Landsdowne.

Yeah because drawing 0-0 with Deportivo and 2-2 with Lille were poor results!! :eek:

In my opinion if fans want tickets they should move to bigger grounds (when playing at a suitable time ;) )

Besides it's not like Lansdowne, Pats players play in Dalymount or Tolka every few weeks, it's been home to some of them for years too.

pete
05/08/2008, 2:07 PM
If away fans travel Pats would need to designate an away section so would probably lose capacity leaving maybe only 2500 seats for home fans.

I had no interest in Olimps would if Pats in with a chance to progress would likely go to game.

soccerc
05/08/2008, 3:13 PM
If away fans travel Pats would need to designate an away section so would probably lose capacity leaving maybe only 2500 seats for home fans.

I had no interest in Olimps would if Pats in with a chance to progress would likely go to game.

Public sale of tickets for the Elfsborg game will be fairly limited.

Club will offer own fans who were at the Olimps game first dibs on the available allocation.

Then to Pats season ticket holders who were not at the Olimps game.

So if there is a chance of Pats progressing after the away leg then the uptake from our own support base will come close to capacity.