PDA

View Full Version : Drogs TV Coverage

Pages : [1] 2

kdjaC
25/07/2008, 9:51 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0725/drogheda.html

Someone i know in RTE they would only announce it when a certain amount of tickets were sold(3000).

Bohs euro trip pretty much paying for Ndo at this stage :D

kdjac

Blue Man
25/07/2008, 10:48 PM
I'm out in the States and missing my eircom league fix. Is there anyway to watch the Drogs on the web. My room mate, who is a Rovers fanatic, couldnt even tonights game on tg4 online. No bars show the football around here as far as i know.

pete
25/07/2008, 10:52 PM
I'm out in the States and missing my eircom league fix. Is there anyway to watch the Drogs on the web. My room mate, who is a Rovers fanatic, couldnt even tonights game on tg4 online. No bars show the football around here as far as i know.

If the CL game is show live on RTE I would also expect them to show it live online. I can never remember them blocking foreign access to Irish club game.

D.U.F.C Daire
25/07/2008, 11:23 PM
AFAIK the game will be blocked coz it's a Euro game, and other companies in different countires haviong the rights to show cL games in their country.

dcfcsteve
26/07/2008, 2:11 AM
AFAIK the game will be blocked coz it's a Euro game, and other companies in different countires haviong the rights to show cL games in their country.

How does the web-site know where your internet connection is though ?

Can you not mask your IP address or alter cookies to vex it ?

Cosmo
26/07/2008, 8:16 AM

Its on ukrainian tv too though so I wouldnt be suprised to see it being able to be picked up on sites like http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/ , etc

Dodge
26/07/2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=15634&part=sports

This crowd have a page set up for it. I'm sure the details would be updated...

kdjaC
26/07/2008, 3:13 PM

Easy way to watch it is via MSN if its not on any footie sites.

You watch it on your pc, you request remote assitance and he logs into your pc and watches it tru the viewer.

kdjac

DUFC4life
27/07/2008, 9:13 PM
is the home leg definatley on?? went to record it on sky plus today so i can look at it again and it was listed. some nature program or somthing on instead....

paul_oshea
28/07/2008, 8:58 AM
How does the web-site know where your internet connection is though ?

Can you not mask your IP address or alter cookies to vex it ?

No.

I used to be able get round it last year, but it seems they've closed that loophole too.

iceman
28/07/2008, 10:29 AM
Its listed on http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/ . You can watch it there.

Dodge
28/07/2008, 10:46 AM
is the home leg definatley on?? went to record it on sky plus today so i can look at it again and it was listed. some nature program or somthing on instead....
Yes, its definitely on RTE 2

dublinred
28/07/2008, 10:51 AM
Yes, its definitely on RTE 2

Wonder will it get the full champions league package with Bill ,Giles , Dunphy and Souness would be class if it did, I would love to see Dunphys face if Drogheda got a result.

Dodge
28/07/2008, 10:58 AM
Wonder will it get the full champions league package with Bill ,Giles , Dunphy and Souness would be class if it did, I would love to see Dunphys face if Drogheda got a result.

I'd guess 5 minutes before kick off with Darragh maloney on the pitch with Roddy.

No chance in hell of the big boys coming out

pete
28/07/2008, 11:06 AM
I'd guess 5 minutes before kick off with Darragh maloney on the pitch with Roddy.

No chance in hell of the big boys coming out

Weather permitting of course. Battle of the Egos ;)

BohDiddley
28/07/2008, 2:36 PM
Giles and Dunphy wouldn't know names, numbers and positions. They'd probably have to be reminded which is Drogheda's kit. And they wouldn't be able to find Dalymount if it wasn't specially sepia-coloured for them.
Bill just wouldn't know anything, but that hasn't stopped him before.

Duggie
28/07/2008, 3:11 PM
rte would **** there pants if an EL team got to the group stages. they would have to show the games......surely wouldnt they.....wouldnt they :(

Celdrog
28/07/2008, 4:44 PM
they would have to show the games......surely wouldnt they.....wouldnt they :(Of course they would, providing it was against ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool or Celtic.

dcfcsteve
28/07/2008, 4:54 PM
rte would **** there pants if an EL team got to the group stages. they would have to show the games......surely wouldnt they.....wouldnt they :(

Why would they sh!te their pants at this ?? :confused:

If an irish team got through to the group stages of a European competition it would be huge news. People would want to watch it, and RTE would therefore be happy to show it.

So apart from a chip on the shoulder about RTE - why would they not want to show such games ?

Dodge
28/07/2008, 5:19 PM
If an irish team got through to the group stages of a European competition it would be huge news. People would want to watch it, and RTE would therefore be happy to show it.

So apart from a chip on the shoulder about RTE - why would they not want to show such games ?

Its obvious you don't live here Steve. They'd show them through gritted teeth and hope they'dbe knocked out asap

Dazzy
28/07/2008, 5:43 PM
They would have to show the Irish team over any other, they would love that:p

sonofstan
28/07/2008, 6:34 PM
They would have to show the Irish team over any other, they would love that:p

God. imagine it: Drogheda/ Cork/ us are playing Artmedia Bratislava in the group stage on the same night as United are playing Porto or someone - which would they show?

kdjaC
28/07/2008, 6:38 PM
God. imagine it: Drogheda/ Cork/ us are playing Artmedia Bratislava in the gorup stage on the same night as United are playing Porto or someone - which would they show?

Drogs/Cork/you would be on the web.

kdjac

TonyD
28/07/2008, 8:45 PM
Its obvious you don't live here Steve. They'd show them through gritted teeth and hope they'dbe knocked out asap

Agree. It would Kill RTE if they had to show an Irish team while Man U were playing. And you know, I wouldn't put it past them to show Man U. We can only hope it's a decision they have to make some day.

dcfcsteve
28/07/2008, 8:52 PM

Guys - cop on ffs.

Whether I live in Ireland doesn't change the commercial realities of the world RTE operates in. And what does me not living there have to do with it anyway ?

RTE would show whatever attracts a big crowd. And an Irish team in the group stages of Europe would be very big sporting news, and attract a big crowd. So why the hell wouldn't they ? They might have to make a trade-off versuis English teams - but it would be made primarily on a commercial basis, over-laid with their 'obligation' towards Irish programming.

If you think they'd cuit their commercial nose off to spite their face out of some in-built hatred for domestic football - why are they doing MNS every week, and why are they showing the two Drogs games live - even if none of those attracts a particularly big crowd ? I suppose they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to broadcast all of those through gritted teeth as well.... :rolleyes:

RTE have a poor past record on Irish football, but it has improved a lot recently (and there is room for further improvement). That said, though, there's enough chips on shoulders about them on this site to keep McDonalds supplied for a year...

Dodge
28/07/2008, 8:59 PM
Guys - cop on ffs.

Whether I live in Ireland doesn't change the commercial realities of the world RTE operates in. And what does me not living there have to do with it anyway ?
Read your line there steve and think about what the majority of Irish people would prefer to watch. Man U or Drogheda. Not who they should want to watch, not who "we" would want to watch, the who the majority of Irish people would prefer to watch.

So, to use your line cop on FFS

Sheridan
28/07/2008, 9:01 PM
Their priority would be ManU, and by hook or by crook that's what they'd show. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous. When Shels were playing the biggest game in the history of Irish football they interrupted coverage for some athletics event FFS.

micls
28/07/2008, 11:22 PM
why are they doing MNS every week-I suppose they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to broadcast all of those through gritted teeth as well.... :rolleyes:

Em...yeah actually.

RTE were dead against doing it, the FAI insisted and it cost them a few million in doing so.

One of the best moves by the FAI since they took over.

Dodge is spot on. Even if an Irish team were in the CL group stages there would be more people that would want to watch Man U. Including RTE

KianD
28/07/2008, 11:48 PM
Unless it happens this year, RTE will have more than 2 channels so it'll be relatively moot - they'll show both. Theres plans for at least another channel if not two more on their section of the digital terrestrial system; it'll also end up on cable and presumably Sky so have decent enough coverage to fire one game or the other on to. Would almost certainly be the Irish team relegated to the digi channel though!

Duggie
29/07/2008, 8:02 AM
Agree. It would Kill RTE if they had to show an Irish team while Man U were playing. And you know, I wouldn't put it past them to show Man U. We can only hope it's a decision they have to make some day.

they would prob cut to the utd game after the EL team went one nil down........or split the screen ! remember shels - deportivo.

Duggie
29/07/2008, 8:03 AM
Guys - cop on ffs.

RTE would show whatever attracts a big crowd. And an Irish team in the group stages of Europe would be very big sporting news, and attract a big crowd. So why the hell wouldn't they ? They might have to make a trade-off versuis English teams - but it would be made primarily on a commercial basis, over-laid with their 'obligation' towards Irish programming.

If you think they'd cuit their commercial nose off to spite their face out of some in-built hatred for domestic football - why are they doing MNS every week, and why are they showing the two Drogs games live - even if none of those attracts a particularly big crowd ? I suppose they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to broadcast all of those through gritted teeth as well.... :rolleyes:

RTE have a poor past record on Irish football, but it has improved a lot recently (and there is room for further improvement). That said, though, there's enough chips on shoulders about them on this site to keep McDonalds supplied for a year...

what planet are u on man ? not earth anyway it seems. do u work for RTE.

pete
29/07/2008, 8:46 AM
CL group games have had relatively low ratings in recent years even for the likes of Manchester. An Irish team in the group stages would have massive media interest although the novelty might wear off after a few heavy defeats.

BohDiddley
29/07/2008, 8:59 AM
Guys - cop on ffs.

Why do you put the word obligation in quote marks, as if to demote it? Is it that you think they do not have an obligation, as well as 'commercial realities'?

A face
29/07/2008, 9:03 AM
Guys - cop on ffs.

Steve, they would justify not showing the Irish game with 'every one wants to watch ......'

I dont think alot of that staff in the Sports Department of RTE would be happy about an Irish team getting to the group stages, it would go against everything they believe in/stand for/are used to .... Any sort of crossover on opinion wold be a real spanner in the works for their decision making, you cant smuggly slate Irish football on one hand and list reasons to justify it and on the other hand have your justifications completely contradict what they are saying. That could lead to a crisis out in Donnybrook.

gspain
29/07/2008, 9:21 AM
RTE would have to show an Irish team if they reached the group stages of the champions league. It is part of the tv rights deal that you must show clubs from your own country.

Remember also that RTE are not just a commercail organisation. they are a public service broadcaster. They get a licence fee. This means they have an obligation to show things that are in the public interest rather than commercially viable. It makes commercial sense for them to show imported U.S. shows like Desperate Housewives but this must be balanced with programmes like MNS and you would think live domestic football as well.

dublinred
29/07/2008, 9:21 AM
God. imagine it: Drogheda/ Cork/ us are playing Artmedia Bratislava in the group stage on the same night as United are playing Porto or someone - which would they show?

As an Irish public service broadcaster they would have to show the Irish team if they are still collecting Tv licence money when this happens , United will be on UTV or Sky anyway.

The group stages of the champions league are mainly non events for the Englsih teams most years due to the seeding , the only clubs that generate excitment in the first stages are the scottish ones.

Duggie
29/07/2008, 9:32 AM
look we all agree they prob would but dosent mean they would like it.

pete
29/07/2008, 9:44 AM
It makes commercial sense for them to show imported U.S. shows like Desperate Housewives but this must be balanced with programmes like MNS and you would think live domestic football as well.

RTE show MNS as it is part of commercial deal for Irish International football rights & not because of any public service remit. Radio 1 coverage might be public service.

Probably part of wider discussion but looking at RTE TV or radio schedules I find it difficult to find the public service programmes. You might assume it is news & current affairs but they bring in big ratings.

:confused:

Dodge
29/07/2008, 10:20 AM
Probably part of wider discussion but looking at RTE TV or radio schedules I find it difficult to find the public service programmes. You might assume it is news & current affairs but they bring in big ratings.

Public service doesn't mean poorly watched Pete. They do plenty of public service stuff.

I should clarify I wasn't attempting to bash RTE, just their soccer department. A couple of good people in there (Tony O'Donoghue, Stephen Alkin) but, like every company in Ireland, most people are obsessed with the UK game and, unfortunately, know that the most popular teams in Ireland are Man U, Celtic, Liverpool etc

Only twice since the start of the champions league has RTE not shown a British club when there has been a choice (once when Blackburn were already out, and last year whent hey showed Barcelona v LYon)

Oh and RTE's deal to show MNS has nothing to do with the international rights. It'll obvioiusly put them in the FAI's good books though

NeilMcD
29/07/2008, 10:43 AM
This is just speculation but I think Gspain is the only one who has tried to introduce fact into the argument. For this reason I think its obvious that RTE will be showing Bohs in the Champions League next year. !!! :) on the same night that Man Utd or Liverpool are in it.

holidaysong
29/07/2008, 11:02 AM
Were Manchester United not playing at the same time as RTÉ were showing the home leg of Shels vs. Deportivo in the CL QR3? If they were then I think this shows that RTÉ would show the Irish team...

LeixlipRed
29/07/2008, 11:03 AM
With Lansdowne out of operation where would an Irish club play their home CL games if one qualified this year or next? Obviously pie in the sky but is their any venue with good enough floodlights?

Dodge
29/07/2008, 11:05 AM
Were Manchester United not playing at the same time as RTÉ were showing the home leg of Shels vs. Deportivo in the CL QR3? If they were then I think this shows that RTÉ would show the Irish team...

Well they mightn't have had the rights to the Man U qualifiers (as they're seperate from the main rights) and anyway, as gspain pointed out, they must show the local team as part of their rights package (They'd also have to provide at least 12 cameras to cover the game...)

Dodge
29/07/2008, 11:06 AM
With Lansdowne out of operation where would an Irish club play their home CL games if one qualified this year or next? Obviously pie in the sky but is their any venue with good enough floodlights?

Richmond and Dalymount have. We had to upgrade ours last year for the UEFA Cup. I presume dalymount did likewise

Duggie
29/07/2008, 11:06 AM
croke park :D
rds maybe ?? wont happen anyway.

Schumi
29/07/2008, 11:08 AM
RDS is probably the only option, assuming Croker isn't available.

LeixlipRed
29/07/2008, 11:08 AM
Richmond and Dalymount have. We had to upgrade ours last year for the UEFA Cup. I presume dalymount did likewise

Isn't there a different standard for the qualifying and the actual group stages though?

dublinred
29/07/2008, 11:09 AM
A lot of interest in this game in work today hopefully RTE do it some justice and give it decent coverage lets hope Shoddy isn't let near this one, Tony O'Donohue/Seanie Connor would be a good combination given his PR background Seanie is great at hyping things up.

Dodge
29/07/2008, 11:12 AM
Isn't there a different standard for the qualifying and the actual group stages though?

Not sure. As you said pie in the sky so I didn't look too deeply into ti :D

Duggie
29/07/2008, 11:13 AM
prob be richardson