PDA

View Full Version : World Cup tickets 2010

Pages : [1] 2 3

gspain
16/06/2008, 2:52 PM
I've done a little bit of research here.

The public sale in Soth Africa is expected to start this year. no more details yet.

The worldwide sale won't start until February 2009.

Now a few changes. The competing countries get 12% instead of 8%. This is great news if we qualify as the stadiums seem bigger than Germany.

The bad news is that the Travel agents are back. Yes £800 for a hotel room and a ticket for Ireland v Italy in New York. Those days are back.

"For the 2010 FIFA World Cup ™, FIFA has decided to allocate a number of match tickets for use in a Tour Operator Programme. The programme will allow qualified and experienced travel companies to provide accommodation, transportation and other related travel services in travel packages of their own creation, to be sold under their own terms of business, together with tickets sold on behalf of FIFA. The 2010 FIFA World Cup Tour Operator Programme will be the first such programme implemented by FIFA for a FIFA World Cup since 1998. "

This translates to - We have seen football fans buy tickets on the internet from FIFA and then book cheap flights and accomodation to visit major tournaments. So we are going back to the old days when officially approved operators screwed fans to the wall with ridiculously overpriced packages. The guys will scoff at the Ray Treacy's of this world charging only a grand for a weekend in Paris.

There will still be a public internet sale of tickets in February next year. Locals can buy tickets for as cheap as $20 but the cheapest ticket for a group match availabel to foreigners will be $80.

I'll post mor einfo here and I'd appreciate any info if anybody has any.

If we qualify I'd feel better about my chances of getting tickets. However as somebody who will go anyway it will be harder to get tickets through legitimate sources.

Claret Murph
16/06/2008, 3:36 PM
Well done Gspain , I will keep eye on this . Again only time will tell if we will be going .

MariborKev
23/06/2008, 10:08 PM
I'll post mor einfo here and I'd appreciate any info if anybody has any.

If we qualify I'd feel better about my chances of getting tickets. However as somebody who will go anyway it will be harder to get tickets through legitimate sources.

Not really on the ticket front but....

Driving across South Africa for a month and plan on doing a recce of the grounds and the other key questions.

gspain
11/02/2009, 10:00 AM
Ticket sales start on Feb 20th and finish on March 31st. Subsequent phases to follow.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1021815.html#tickets+the+countdown+begins

Phase 1 is your best chance of getting tickets.

Options are venues and take your chances or Ireland follow my team.

Claret Murph
19/02/2009, 3:13 PM
I will see what they are looking for up front in the morning but it cost nothing to look at it , YET ;)

shakermaker1982
19/02/2009, 7:58 PM
I registered earlier this week and sticking my name down tomorrow. Don't think the missus is too keen on South Africa........thankfully she didn't watch that Louis Theroux documentary last year.

Claret Murph
20/02/2009, 6:47 AM
I have had no luck yet in trying to apply for tickets as the FIFA site keeps bringing back to the start again , maybe it's a time zone thing or something but I will try again later on .
Let me know if anybody has any luck on it .

Sumac
20/02/2009, 7:35 AM
Don't think applications are available until noon South Africa time - Which is 10am here (I think)

eirebhoy
20/02/2009, 5:32 PM
You register and enter credit card details. Your credit card will only be billed if you're succesful.

stiffler
20/02/2009, 5:36 PM
Whats the chances of being successful?

gspain
22/02/2009, 5:41 PM
Whats the chances of being successful?

From memory but think for 2006 an Ireland TST odds were just over 1 in 15.

for Japan there was no problem getting an Ireland TST although not in the cheaper categories.

Overall it was 20 million applicants for 750.000 tickets in 2006.

It should be less this time. South Africa is further away from the mian centres and there is a global recession.

You won't be charged unless you get tickets. If you get tickets and we don't qualify then you will lose a handling fee, credit card charges and the exchange rate will always be worse on a refund.

Sumac
23/02/2009, 8:19 AM
I thought for Japan you could apply for the cheapest category but get bumped up to a more expensive one if unsuccessful.
This time that doesn't seem to be the case - Maybe for the later sales phases.

Sumac
23/02/2009, 8:22 AM
"The biggest number of orders came from South Africans, followed by applicants from Great Britain, the USA, Germany, Brazil, Australia, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Switzerland, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain and Argentina."
The line above is from the FIFA site. A lot of the Irish applicants would be in some of the other countries as well (GB, US, Oz)

endabob1
23/02/2009, 8:23 AM
I registered earlier this week and sticking my name down tomorrow. Don't think the missus is too keen on South Africa........thankfully she didn't watch that Louis Theroux documentary last year.

South Africa is great, unfortunately it will be winter here and thus not beach weather but there is plenty to see and do away from the football.
Please don't rely on a misguided idiot like Theroux hoping to look clever by trying (and failing) to out smart a hand full of gun happy Boers, for your information. It's the equivalent to saying I won't go to New York because there are some Rednecks in Texas.
I'll be happy to give yo ua long list of things to do should you wish to visit :)

gspain
23/02/2009, 8:45 AM
I thought for Japan you could apply for the cheapest category but get bumped up to a more expensive one if unsuccessful.
This time that doesn't seem to be the case - Maybe for the later sales phases.

It's the other way around. You have to apply for the dearest and trade down.

Stupid move too as this is the first time you can't apply online (could have for 98, 02 & 06) if you don't have a credit card. they then ask you to protect the environment by not printing the application form. Many people who do have credit cards don't trust websites with their card details either. This dumb decision will lead to millions of paper applications that could have been done online. :confused: :confused:

NeilMcD
15/03/2009, 3:14 PM
Think I am going to apply for an Ireland TST 7 game ticket. WHat category are people going to go for. I think I will go for Category 2.

gspain
16/03/2009, 1:35 PM
Think I am going to apply for an Ireland TST 7 game ticket. WHat category are people going to go for. I think I will go for Category 2.

TST 7 will be very hard to get as it guarantees a final ticket even if we are not in it. You'd have a better chance of a TST 3,4,5 or even 6. I'd guess most people will go for TST 3 or TST 7 too. For 2002 an dprevious World Cups you got a refund if your team didn't make the final but now you follow the group winners or the team that knocks you out.

To maximise your chances of coming out of the draw I reckon a TST 4 or TST 5 is your best bet. Cat 1 is also your best bet as you are then entered in the subsequent draws if you don't get a Cat 1 ticket.

Then worry about semi final and final; tickets if we get that far.

I applied for individual matches and am hoping the FAI will come through if we qualify. I would go to other games anyway and would go if we don't make it.

NeilMcD
16/03/2009, 2:11 PM
Cheers Gary, Good advice there on that. Thanks.

gspain
03/04/2009, 3:31 PM
FIFA only received applications for 1.6 million tickets. This may sound a lot but many of these will be disappointed as they'll have applied for the final and for England and Brazil TSTs.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1044192.html#more+than+million+tickets+requ ested+2010+fifa+world+cup

This sounds hopeful for those who applied for individual matches particularly if you gave yourself every chance by applying for Cat 1. You should get on average half the tickets applied for.

Hard to read Ireland TSTs yet.

There were 9 million applications for tickets for Euro2008.

The recession will have had some effect but the choice of venue must be a serious concern for FIFA now. After the success of Germany this could lead to empty stadiums.

The decision to take tickets back from fans and give them to travel agents must surely look even more foolish now. If most applications are successful in phase 1 then trying to sell overpriced travel packages will be really tough.

If we make it the signs are good re the availability of tickets.

Sumac
15/04/2009, 10:23 AM
When should we expect the results of the lottery??

gspain
15/04/2009, 12:03 PM
When should we expect the results of the lottery??

Sometime after April 15th (eg today) but before the end of the month. I'd expect to hear in the next day or so.

Greenforever
16/04/2009, 8:25 AM
TST 7 will be very hard to get as it guarantees a final ticket even if we are not in it.

Is this a change from Japan? Surely a TST is exactly that a ticket for each game the team plays.

gspain
16/04/2009, 10:16 AM
Is this a change from Japan? Surely a TST is exactly that a ticket for each game the team plays.

Yes changed for Germany 2006. The old system was much better IMO. You now follow the group winners if your team gets knocked out in the group stages or else that team that knocks you out in the later rounds.

endabob1
16/04/2009, 10:20 AM
The blurb says within 3 days of the draw so I would expect an answer by tomorrow or Monday at the latest, been check email all day in the hope......

Greenforever
16/04/2009, 12:21 PM
Thats put an end to my purchase of a TST

For Japan I stood to win 2k if Ireland got to the semis which would have helped cover the extra 2 weeks, I doubt if Paddy Power will give me a decent price on my TST team getting to the final with the new system.

Doesnt make much sense and as much as I'd love to go to a WCF I can't afford it, and ust scraping the shillings for SA when we qualify will be hard enough.

gspain
16/04/2009, 1:48 PM
Just buy a TST 3 or TST 4. This would of course mean a scramble for tickets if we get to the qf or further.

I much preferred the old system. I had a TST7 for Japan so it was great to be sure of a ticket for the final if we made it.

In reality it is normally easier to get tickets for the later rounds of a WC than the group stages. I don't think tickets will be too much of a problem except for England, Brazil and the hosts.

EastTerracer
17/04/2009, 6:35 PM
Just buy a TST 3 or TST 4. This would of course mean a scramble for tickets if we get to the qf or further.

I much preferred the old system. I had a TST7 for Japan so it was great to be sure of a ticket for the final if we made it.

In reality it is normally easier to get tickets for the later rounds of a WC than the group stages. I don't think tickets will be too much of a problem except for England, Brazil and the hosts.

There was another form of Team ticket in 2002 called the Fixed Team Ticket as I received a Spain-South Korea quarter-final ticket after we were knocked-out in the second round. In 2006 they combined the TST and the FTT so that the ticket continued all the way through.

I'm reasonably confident that FAI will provide if we do qualify although I was let down by them in 1990 and 1994. As a result I've actually applied for an Argentina TST (they didn't bring too many fans to Germany until the later rounds). I've managed to average about 6/7 games at each of the last five world cups so hope to get a few extra games in addition to the Ireland games (he said optimistically).

Umberside
18/04/2009, 9:59 PM
How much do the tickets cost?

Claret Murph
19/04/2009, 9:18 AM
How much do the tickets cost?

Check the FIFA website and remember payment is in US $:)

jbyrne
20/04/2009, 11:28 AM
I'm reasonably confident that FAI will provide if we do qualify although I was let down by them in 1990 and 1994

am i correct in thinking that the national associations will not receive tickets themselves and that a dutch company will be dealing with the tickets?
if this is that case id be worried as they could do what the rugby world cup do and attach tickets to official tour packages

gspain
20/04/2009, 1:18 PM
am i correct in thinking that the national associations will not receive tickets themselves and that a dutch company will be dealing with the tickets?
if this is that case id be worried as they could do what the rugby world cup do and attach tickets to official tour packages

No competing countries will get 12% of the tickets.

However you are correct that the travel agents will get tickets this time. FIFA took tickets away from them after disgusting ripoffs in 1994 - $800 for a hotel room and a ticket for Italy v Ireland. They have been given a chunk of tickets normally reserved for fans over the interent. These will be offered to fans at ripoff prices. The touts outside the stadiums will be far far cheaper than the touts in suits. FIFA should not have been allowed a free ride by the media in giving tickets back to these agents after the carryon in the past.

If we qualify I can't see the FAI giving tickets to the travel agents (apart from Treacy who will get a couple of hundred). However sponsors and council members will eat up a huge chunk of tickets. However as things stand tickets appear to be readily available.

I assume our TST was one of the 39 oversubscribed.

jbyrne
20/04/2009, 2:22 PM
No competing countries will get 12% of the tickets.

i posted this link elsewhere before..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7498630.stm

and this is what worries me...

"Fifa will also not be giving tickets to the football associations of participating countries to sell and distribute.

That responsibility will now go to MATCH, an organisation in Manchester which runs Fifa's hospitality and accommodation programmes and will now sell and distribute tickets."

endabob1
21/04/2009, 12:22 PM
According to FIFA it is now the end of April as a date for letting applicants know if they have been succesful

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/news/newsid=1048777.html#random+selection+draw+first+ph ase+ticket+sales+completed

argentina_no10
22/04/2009, 9:52 PM
As anyone checked their credit card balances lately..? It appears that fifa has started withdrawing cash for successful ticket applications. Yipee!

MickeyT
23/04/2009, 8:21 AM
If you applied, try checking your FIFA account. I got no email but checked it this morning and only got 1 ticket for a match in Cape Town. I had applied for 7 tickets between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth so was hoping for a better hit ratio than that :(

gspain
23/04/2009, 8:36 AM
If you applied, try checking your FIFA account. I got no email but checked it this morning and only got 1 ticket for a match in Cape Town. I had applied for 7 tickets between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth so was hoping for a better hit ratio than that :(

Mine is still pending. No credit card charge yet. Out of interest what category did you apply for?

1 out of 7 is bad luck - I was expecting 3 or 4 out of 7 based on the figures on the FIFA website. With 12 games not sold out I hope I've picked a couple of those.

One guy on a South African board got 3 out of 7 and I see some Northern Ireland fans got NI TSTs.

I imagine we'll all hear in the next couple of days.

MickeyT
23/04/2009, 8:56 AM
Mine is still pending. No credit card charge yet. Out of interest what category did you apply for?

1 out of 7 is bad luck - I was expecting 3 or 4 out of 7 based on the figures on the FIFA website. With 12 games not sold out I hope I've picked a couple of those.

One guy on a South African board got 3 out of 7 and I see some Northern Ireland fans got NI TSTs.

I imagine we'll all hear in the next couple of days.

Tell me about it...was hoping for about 3 at least. Got 1 out of 6 or 7 in Germany and with the demand much lower I thought I'd get a couple more. I applied for Category 3 so maybe should've applied for at least a couple of Category 2 ones.

I seem to remember in Germany you applied for the low category and would accept ones from a higher one whereas this time they switched it around so that you had to apply high.

Closed Account 2
23/04/2009, 9:44 AM
I applied for 7 games, three are now showing up in red with the x next to them (gone I assume) and 4 are still active / pending:

The 3 that have gone for me are:
Match 61 6 July 20:30 Green Point Stadium Category 2 0 $0.00
Match 59 3 July 16:00 Green Point Stadium Category 2 0 $0.00
Match 50 26 June 20:30 Royal Bafokeng Stadium Category 2 0 $0.00

The four I'm still in with a chance for are:
Match 57 2 July 16:00 Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium Category 2 2 $400.00
Match 55 29 June 16:00 Loftus Versfeld Stadium Category 2 2 $300.00
Match 40 23 June 20:30 Mbombela Stadium Category 2 2 $240.00
Match 46 25 June 16:00 Mbombela Stadium Category 2 2 $240.00

I assume these 4 are still being decided, as I've had no email from FIFA etc.

MickeyT
23/04/2009, 9:57 AM
It's a bit confusing alright...cause I saw Pending to Pay for one of them I assume I'm going to get it. :confused: I guess I'll have to wait for the email to be 100% sure.

gspain
23/04/2009, 9:58 AM
Definitely the higher categories have lower demand. I applied for Cat 1. I've checked with my credit card company. There is a pending transaction for 1425 euro. Looks like I've got at least 5 games and hopefully 6.

I know of another credit card application for 7 cat 1s that appears to have got 7 games - most likely 6 cat 1s and a cat 3.

Still waiting to hear back from 2 more of our crew as well.

I think for Germany they started at Cat 1 as well and worked down. Ideally I'd buy the cheapest seat I can get but applied for cat 1s in Germany to maximise my chances.

Now we just need to qualify.

I actually think tickets will be readily available in South Africa just like Korea. Even if we don't make it I'll manage 5 or 6 games in a week. I applied for 7 different venues so there could be a fair bit of travelling.

Barna Bee
23/04/2009, 10:05 AM
so I got TST3 for 2 people ...just what I wanted .happy days , now to see if we qualify and if the wife will let me go . not sure which will happen if either:-)

gspain
23/04/2009, 10:05 AM
I applied for 7 games, three are now showing up in red with the x next to them (gone I assume) and 4 are still active / pending:

The 3 that have gone for me are:
Match 61 6 July 20:30 Green Point Stadium Category 2 0 $0.00
Match 59 3 July 16:00 Green Point Stadium Category 2 0 $0.00
Match 50 26 June 20:30 Royal Bafokeng Stadium Category 2 0 $0.00

The four I'm still in with a chance for are:
Match 57 2 July 16:00 Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium Category 2 2 $400.00
Match 55 29 June 16:00 Loftus Versfeld Stadium Category 2 2 $300.00
Match 40 23 June 20:30 Mbombela Stadium Category 2 2 $240.00
Match 46 25 June 16:00 Mbombela Stadium Category 2 2 $240.00

I assume these 4 are still being decided, as I've had no email from FIFA etc.

You can ring mastercard or visa and they'll tell you about a pending charge on your card.

I'm hoping I've got 6 then as I've only one in red.

Match 48 - H2 v H3 - 25 June 20:30 Free State Stadium Category 1 2 $320.00
Match 32 - H1 v H3 - 21 June 20:30 Ellis Park Stadium Category 1 0 $0.00
Original Request: (Category 1) (2)
Match 26 - E4 v E2 - 19 June 20:30 Loftus Versfeld Stadium Category 1 2 $320.00
Match 39 - D4 v D1 - 23 June 20:30 Soccer City Stadium Category 1 2 $320.00
Match 43 - E2 v E3 - 24 June 20:30 Royal Bafokeng Stadium Category 1 2 $320.00
Match 36 - B4 v B1 - 22 June 20:30 Peter Mokaba Stadium Category 1 2 $320.00
Match 27 - F4 v F2 - 20 June 13:30 Free State Stadium Category 1 2 $320.00

MickeyT
23/04/2009, 10:15 AM
You can ring mastercard or visa and they'll tell you about a pending charge on your card.

Just phoned Visa and sure enough there is a pending charge for the one ticket. I guess I'll be applying for higher categories in the next phases!

Paddser
23/04/2009, 10:18 AM
Would you accept a lower Category? : Yes
Item Team/Venue Seat Category Quantity Price
Fixed TST-3 Ireland Republic Category 2 2 $792.00
Total: Quantity 2 $792.00

Mine just has a red "?" after it. Any ideas on whether iv been lucky or not?

MickeyT
23/04/2009, 10:21 AM
Would you accept a lower Category? : Yes
Item Team/Venue Seat Category Quantity Price
Fixed TST-3 Ireland Republic Category 2 2 $792.00
Total: Quantity 2 $792.00

Mine just has a red "?" after it. Any ideas on whether iv been lucky or not?

Well the one I've got has an orange "?" (probably stays orange until the Visa payment has cleared). If in doubt ring your credit card company like gspain says.

Paddser
23/04/2009, 10:25 AM
Well it is more orange than red alright. I'll check it at lunch time. Cheers. Here's hoping! Gives me time to start saving big time now!!

theleprechaun
23/04/2009, 10:26 AM
How are you all checking your application status? I checked yesterday on http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/applyfor/index.html but it said application was still pending. And now today, if I click on 'view your application' on the above page, the next page no longer has any link. Are you finding out another way, or is it just that my application has failed?
Thanks.

gspain
23/04/2009, 10:32 AM
How are you all checking your application status? I checked yesterday on http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/applyfor/index.html but it said application was still pending. And now today, if I click on 'view your application' on the above page, the next page no longer has any link. Are you finding out another way, or is it just that my application has failed?
Thanks.

Make sure you are logged in.

Credit card charge pending is your best way of knowing. Then work back from that.

Paddser
23/04/2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks.

Well I just followed the same way you did it and I copied and pasted exactly what it says in my earlier post. It says Application Pending, and has an orangey(reddish!) question mark after it. That's all I know. Going to check the card at lunch time.

Technically im none the wiser.

theleprechaun
23/04/2009, 10:41 AM
Make sure you are logged in.

Credit card charge pending is your best way of knowing. Then work back from that.

I'm logged in but it is still not recognising my application. I suppose I will have to ring the credit card company and see.