PDA

View Full Version : Trappatoni Quotes Thread

Pages : [1] 2

blobbyblob
04/06/2008, 12:33 PM
Well Lads. Given the quality of the qoutes so far, it might be worth gathering up all of Traps Words of Wisdom so that we can look back on them at the end and marvel at the greatness that was put upon us.

blobbyblob
04/06/2008, 12:41 PM
"For example, a player is looking down at the ground and I shout, "Turn and look a the ball. There isn't money on the pitch. Keep your eyes on the ball".

'You can improve your position immediately if you keep your eye on the ball. What is there to look at on the pitch? Grass. It's a habit. I get animated because I want to help them and I want to win.'

Pauro 76
04/06/2008, 12:56 PM
Liked the one about John Delaney having a great game in defence for us.

geysir
04/06/2008, 7:14 PM
17th May

“It is a very, very beautiful colour,” Trap beamed as he admired his green FAI tracksuit

skitz3
04/06/2008, 9:04 PM
embarrassing

blobbyblob
04/06/2008, 9:57 PM
Id like to nominate Skitz for the TOTM award.

pineapple stu
04/06/2008, 10:02 PM
You can do so by pressing the red button atop his post. ;)

Razors left peg
04/06/2008, 10:15 PM
embarrassing

You must lead a very sad life since you have nothing better to do than go onto a forum for a team that you say you hate to try to wind up people

Greenforever
04/06/2008, 11:29 PM
embarrassing

Sad, feel sorry for you, to be so bitter so young

Hibs4Ever
05/06/2008, 6:44 AM
embarrassing

Indeed you are

blobbyblob
05/06/2008, 8:29 AM
“I am confident, I trust he will come back. I spoke with him and normally when I speak with a player, I look the player in the eyes. The eyes never lie.

Noelys Guitar
06/06/2008, 9:57 PM
Trap did say this about Di Canio when Trap was manager of Italy. 'There will have to be a bubonic plague for me to pick Di Canio.'

Scooby Doo
07/06/2008, 9:47 PM
embarrassing
god what a tool. i assume u are some pathetic english kid with very little going for you in life. sad.

SkStu
07/06/2008, 9:55 PM
god what a tool. i assume u are some pathetic english kid with very little going for you in life. sad.

according to his profile he is a "facist" Shelbourne fan, whatever "facist" means???

Irish_Praha
08/06/2008, 2:40 AM
Man, in the forum index the heading for this thread appears, when you read it quickly at 4 in the morning after a few beers it looks like "Trappatoni Quits Thread" :eek:

boovidge
08/06/2008, 6:25 PM

give him a break lads. He watched "Mike Bassett: England Manager" in 2004 so he's obviously an expert.

skitz3
08/06/2008, 8:49 PM
I'm born and bred in Dublin, still living here too after 24 years and i've never seen Mike Bassett. What is pathetic is this thread and the "Irish" national team.

Oh and SkStu, it's a play on the word facist taken from a quote by another member of this forum.

Supreme feet
09/06/2008, 1:25 AM
What is pathetic is this thread and the "Irish" national team.

Normally, I wouldn't allow myself to be dragged in, but this takes the biscuit. The only reason most of us log on to this forum is because we've been following the fortunes of Ireland's senior international team for most of our lives, we are fervent and passionate supporters, through good times and bad. It has been a point of benevolent expression for our sense of national pride. We log on here because we wish to share opinions and information about the team we care so much for.

If you can't relate to that, and the light-hearted attempts at comic relief which we care to express, why bother with the blatant wind-ups? What kind of gratification can you take from it? The Irish international team is socially important. The team, and its fans, have contributed more to this country, and enhanced our reputation around the world, more than can ever be accomplished with such negative, poorly-articulated cynicism. Grow up.

joe_barry80
09/06/2008, 7:10 AM
If this lad is a Eircom league fan is there any way of banning him from this part of the Forum and only allowing him to post on the Eircom League part? He says he lives by the river... More like he lives in the river like most dirty rats. :rolleyes:

amaccann
09/06/2008, 7:47 AM
Guys, can we ignore this plank? Thought we'd be having a little fun quoting the big man himself; instead we're just rising to an obvious troll (who I've reported anyway) who is clearly like a bottle empty. :(

blobbyblob
10/06/2008, 2:00 PM
“A man who understands Mozart can also play better football. Mozart teaches you about tension, tempo, rhythm, structure. In his music you can learn the logic to read a game.

“For me in any case, that was a big experience. I believe that through music I grew as a player and a man.

“Young players no longer have the patience for a symphony, which takes an hour and which one must hear several times to understand.

“Sometimes the concentration would do them good. They think their whole lives happen on the pitch. They don’t realise that they could learn a lot in the real world to improve their game.

“They sit with their MP3 players in the bench, in the dressing room and are much too nervous before the game. I say to them sometimes ‘why don’t you listen to Bach?’ But it gets harder to appreciate the classics in this culture.

“The best players know the real world, they find inspiration for their game in their lives away from the field.”

paul_oshea
10/06/2008, 2:15 PM
When did he say this?

He is obviouslly an intelligent man, but then again all good managers are.

blobbyblob
10/06/2008, 2:50 PM
Interview taken from todays Daily Màil

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=32673

blobbyblob
24/08/2008, 7:05 PM
"But in my team, you need balance. It is important to have balance. It's very important. And I like the physical condition also. Today it is very important in modern football, the build and physical condition. We need strong players as well as the technical and stylish players."

from http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/whelans-heart-is-in-the-right-place-1462235.html

Pauro 76
09/09/2008, 10:40 AM
Was randomly reading elevenaside.com and saw this quote..

"If Jack Charlton was criticising me then I would be happy because he is a winner, but the others . . .'

Well done Trap. He's a proper manager.

drummerboy
09/09/2008, 11:45 AM
"But in my team, you need balance. It is important to have balance. It's very important. And I like the physical condition also. Today it is very important in modern football, the build and physical condition. We need strong players as well as the technical and stylish players."

from http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/whelans-heart-is-in-the-right-place-1462235.html

Andy Reid take note

TonyD
09/09/2008, 8:19 PM
Was randomly reading elevenaside.com and saw this quote..

"If Jack Charlton was criticising me then I would be happy because he is a winner, but the others . . .'

Well done Trap. He's a proper manager.

Trophies won by Brian Kerr - 2 League Titles, 2 European Championship Titles

Trophies won by Jack Charlton - um........ 0

Think Mr Trappatoni has a strange understanding of what a winner is. (Fair play to Pat Dolan btw for being the only media commentator to point this out.)

Paddy Garcia
09/09/2008, 8:22 PM

Think Mr Trappatoni has a strange understanding of what a winner is. (Fair play to Pat Dolan btw for being the only media commentator to point this out.)

Ridiculous.

I hope you make your 1000th post better than your 999th.

Supreme feet
09/09/2008, 8:41 PM

Number of tournaments Ireland reached under Charlton - 3
Number of tournaments Ireland reached under Kerr - 0
Ireland's competitive victories under Charlton against seeded opposition - 6 (Bulgaria '87, Scotland '87, England '88, Spain '89, Italy '94, Portugal '95).
Ireland's competitive victories under Kerr against seeded opposition - 0

Besides, Charlton won the old Second Division with Middlesbrough, and won Manager of the Year in the same year. He also won the old Third Division with Sheffield Wednesday. So in that context, yes he is a winner. As a player, he also won the World Cup and a host of trophies with Leeds under Don Revie. Kerr did a great job with the youth teams, and I'll always respect him for that, but many of today's internationals (many of whom played big roles in Kerr's success at underage level) wouldn't even have been playing the game if it wasn't for Charlton's success.

tetsujin1979
09/09/2008, 10:00 PM

You had a point right up until you quoted Pat Dolan to support it. That just destroyed it, quite possibly the worst pundit on TV at the moment.

musicinmouth
10/09/2008, 12:34 AM
From the Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/trapattoni-is-found-in-translation-924371.html):

"It will be a strange game for me. I want Italy to win all their games, but to draw their two matches against Ireland."

Drawwwwwwww?

amaccann
10/09/2008, 8:14 AM
From the Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/trapattoni-is-found-in-translation-924371.html):

"It will be a strange game for me. I want Italy to win all their games, but to draw their two matches against Ireland."

Drawwwwwwww?
I think that's just Trap throwing the Italian press a bone; he's hardly going to admit he'll send the team out to win (leastwise, he should!)

Razors left peg
10/09/2008, 8:33 AM
You had a point right up until you quoted Pat Dolan to support it. That just destroyed it, quite possibly the worst pundit on TV at the moment.

theres no possibly about it, he is a complete clown

joeSoap
10/09/2008, 11:23 AM
From todays Indo...

"I gave them carte blanche when it came to their diets," says Trapattoni. "I did not want to change their established habits.

"However, I saw the players eating mushrooms before a friendly, and I was stunned into silence for several seconds. I then told them that mushrooms are banned on matchdays -- both for breakfast and for dinner.

"I need time to change my players' mentality. But I was pleased to see some of them waste a few seconds after we went 1-0 up against Georgia. Little details like that can make all the difference."

shakermaker1982
10/09/2008, 11:38 AM
what kind of mushrooms were the players eating?!

joeSoap
10/09/2008, 11:41 AM
what kind of mushrooms were the players eating?! Certainly not performance enhancing ones anyway.....:rolleyes:

shakermaker1982
10/09/2008, 11:48 AM
magic mushrooms might explain the Cyprus fiasco :) a few of em did play as if they were tripping.

amaccann
10/09/2008, 12:06 PM
Ok, is there any real reason Trap was in shock? Are mushrooms some kind of faux-pas in modern sports nutrition or something?

Wolfie
10/09/2008, 12:12 PM

Drawwwwwwww?

Let the mind games begin. He'd love to beat them.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2008, 1:13 PM
By all accounts the whole press conference yesterday was very entertaining. I think he made reference to a hack, presumably Fanning, and his bemoaning the fact that Venables wasn't appointed.

redobit
10/09/2008, 2:35 PM
"The more i read about Trapp, the more my respect seems to grow for him" - thats a quote from me by the way.

geysir
11/09/2008, 7:28 PM
"And, as I always say, when you can’t win, it’s better not to lose.”

tricky_colour
11/09/2008, 8:50 PM
I really hate the way several threads have been merged into one here it completely ruins the forum to have threads buried and topic imtermingled.

eirebhoy
11/09/2008, 10:37 PM
I really hate the way several threads have been merged into one here it completely ruins the forum to have threads buried and topic imtermingled.
I know you've told us about 100 times but you still post here. ;) Just looking through and there's definitely not several threads merged here. Maybe joeSoap's post on mushrooms was originally a seperate thread (I'm not sure) but if if that's not an ideal post to be putting in this thread I don't know what is. You really have to get used to this merging business. I think maybe you're too used to the other type of forum (one where they don't merge and they have pages and pages of new threads every day).

bellavistaman
11/09/2008, 11:11 PM

Are you off your game man, your comparing a legend to a muppet and saying the muppet is more successful, only a dub!!!:D

tricky_colour
12/09/2008, 1:14 AM
I know you've told us about 100 times but you still post here. ;) Just looking through and there's definitely not several threads merged here. Maybe joeSoap's post on mushrooms was originally a seperate thread (I'm not sure) but if if that's not an ideal post to be putting in this thread I don't know what is. You really have to get used to this merging business. I think maybe you're too used to the other type of forum (one where they don't merge and they have pages and pages of new threads every day).

No I am not used to such forums I tend to avoid them, however there is currently little other alternative, if there was I would not be here.
I prefer to use forums where threads are easilly readable. Bunging different threads into one big thread might seem like a good idea but
it is really using a hammer as a screwdriver, yet it gets the nail into the wall but solving one problem with an even bigger one is not a great
sollution.

You see you have not actually reduced the number of threads at all, you have just made it more difficult to find and read them, so you have made
the situation worse not better. Rather than a thread being on the next page it is five pages back in a huge thread, so no great improvement there.

geysir
12/09/2008, 10:49 AM
This is the quotes thread, cut out the yapping :)

Benefits of Structure
"The players today are here," said Trapattoni, gesturing with his hand at his midriff before raising it even higher to represent different levels when adding, "And tomorrow they may be here and, then, after tomorrow, they could be here."

John O'Shea

Trapattoni made a similar point, using the word determination -- with the aid of his interpreter -- when the gesture he made appeared to have an even more physical meaning.

"I cannot speak about other situations and how he has played in the past", said Trapattoni. "But John is a player who understands football, who finds it easy sometimes.

"I think also that a defender must be a little more determined. But John plays easy, and looks also to use the ball when it is only necessary.
"For him as a defender, it's also important that the midfield is strong and helps the defence. That has happened in the last two games, but I think John has played very, very well."

Aiden McGeady

"On Wednesday and the game before McGeady worked twice the amount from what he had done in the past,"
"He must understand that we can work offensively as well as defensively. Two years ago he was young and it is normal. He is still young, but he is learning."

eirebhoy
12/09/2008, 4:12 PM
You see you have not actually reduced the number of threads at all, you have just made it more difficult to find and read them, so you have made
the situation worse not better. Rather than a thread being on the next page it is five pages back in a huge thread, so no great improvement there.
If you want a thread dedicated to mushrooms then fair enough.

tricky_colour
12/09/2008, 7:42 PM
If you want a thread dedicated to mushrooms then fair enough.

I have one, it's on the front page and will be for the next few years, and anyone reading the Trappatoni Quotes Thread will see it.

tricky_colour
12/09/2008, 9:36 PM
This is the quotes thread, cut out the yapping :)

Benefits of Structure
"The players today are here," said Trapattoni, gesturing with his hand at his midriff before raising it even higher to represent different levels when adding, "And tomorrow they may be here and, then, after tomorrow, they could be here."

John O'Shea

Trapattoni made a similar point, using the word determination -- with the aid of his interpreter -- when the gesture he made appeared to have an even more physical meaning.

"I cannot speak about other situations and how he has played in the past", said Trapattoni. "But John is a player who understands football, who finds it easy sometimes.

"I think also that a defender must be a little more determined. But John plays easy, and looks also to use the ball when it is only necessary.
"For him as a defender, it's also important that the midfield is strong and helps the defence. That has happened in the last two games, but I think John has played very, very well."

Aiden McGeady

"On Wednesday and the game before McGeady worked twice the amount from what he had done in the past,"
"He must understand that we can work offensively as well as defensively. Two years ago he was young and it is normal. He is still young, but he is learning."

Yes three or more completely different subjects bunged into one thread
with a title which describes none of them.
Now here I am trying to explain why that is a really bad idea, but it needs no explaination does it? It is so obvious I fail to understand how anyone could not see that.