PDA

View Full Version : Targets during the transfer window

Pages : [1] 2

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2008, 6:04 PM
Pete has already identified that he is after a striker and I'm sure that everyone will agree it's a position where we badly need to improve. Andy Myler isn't getting much of a look in at Bray- a loan move should be considered but probably unlikely that Bray, or any other team for that matter, would release such a player to a fellow Premier Division side that they are competing with. Mansaram is out of favour at Bohs and playing A team games he might be another possibilty for a loan move.

In other positions, I think we should be looking to bring in an experienced keeper as back up for Matt Gregg, although this probably won't be feasible as it would be very difficult to find such a player willing to play second fiddle. With McFaul having re-signed that fills a gap that was missing in the squad. A good winger is badly needed too but can't see Pete going for that position unfortunately.

pineapple stu
19/05/2008, 6:12 PM
A forward.

A new pitch.

I'd be happy with that, to be honest.

DmanDmythDledge
30/05/2008, 11:25 PM
One striker more or less done deal. Looking to sign another one as well. Would be better than the options available to us at the moment I would say. Second half of season could turn out to be a good one.:)

Poor Student
31/05/2008, 11:35 AM
One striker more or less done deal. Looking to sign another one as well.

Could you PM me about this news?:p

naoise kennedy
31/05/2008, 11:36 AM
who is your new striker.. you were after myler from bray

DmanDmythDledge
31/05/2008, 2:37 PM
who is your new striker.. you were after myler from bray
Can't be saying- I was sworn to secrecy. :p Although heard from someone else who heard from someone the same thing...

Schumi
31/05/2008, 9:06 PM
Although heard from someone else who heard from someone the same thing...That certainly clears it up.

DmanDmythDledge
04/06/2008, 11:36 AM
Tyrell released by Rovers (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=32587).

Would definitely improve our options on the left wing.

pineapple stu
04/06/2008, 4:07 PM
Is he the lad who scored from 35 yards against us in the Cup in '05?

DmanDmythDledge
06/06/2008, 3:00 PM
Is he the lad who scored from 35 yards against us in the Cup in '05?
Yes that's him. I really hope we try to sign him- would be a great signing for us.

HarpoJoyce
10/06/2008, 8:54 AM
Mansaram came on as substitute for Bohemians on friday. Cup-tied fro the season, is he still the same value on loan as he was before the game?

Titan
10/06/2008, 9:07 AM
Mansaram came on as substitute for Bohemians on friday. Cup-tied fro the season, is he still the same value on loan as he was before the game?

I'd think so as the priority has to be survival. The cup is just a distraction

John83
10/06/2008, 1:30 PM
I'd agree. Screw the cup.

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2008, 10:35 PM
Regi Nooitmeer has been transfer listed by Galway. Would be great to have another proven right back (depends on whether you rate Mahon or not). I'd have him ahead of Mahon anyway.

Student Mullet
23/06/2008, 11:57 PM
Regi Nooitmeer has been transfer listed by Galway. Would be great to have another proven right back (depends on whether you rate Mahon or not). I'd have him ahead of Mahon anyway.
And drop our top scorer? Are you crazy?

superfrank
24/06/2008, 12:22 AM
And drop our top scorer? Are you crazy?
If your right-back's your top-scorer, yez should be more focused on getting a striker(s) in.

Schumi
24/06/2008, 9:06 AM
If your right-back's your top-scorer, yez should be more focused on getting a striker(s) in.He's our penalty taker and we are very much focussed on getting in a striker.

superfrank
24/06/2008, 10:57 AM
He's our penalty taker and we are very much focussed on getting in a striker.
I thought yez didn't have a set penalty-taker? I'm certain I've seen a few different names beside your penos this year.

Schumi
24/06/2008, 11:09 AM
I thought yez didn't have a set penalty-taker? I'm certain I've seen a few different names beside your penos this year.We were switching around at the start of the year alright. Mahon was the first to score I think so that probably got him the job! He's taken the last two that he was on the pitch for. He was injured for the Monaghan game so didn't take that one.

He's actually joint top-scorer too with three other players.

pineapple stu
24/06/2008, 12:19 PM
Dunno how proven he is really. Did well when he first arrived, tapered off last season and has been poor all this season apparently. We could use the money elsewhere, I'd say. Like, as mentioned, a forward.

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2008, 12:44 PM
Dunno how proven he is really. Did well when he first arrived, tapered off last season and has been poor all this season apparently. We could use the money elsewhere, I'd say. Like, as mentioned, a forward.
Form is temporary, etc etc. He's definitely better than Mahon anyway.

He would be a free transfer I'd imagine seeing as Galway are desperate to get under the 65% wage cap. We have enough to bring in players in both positions anyway.

pineapple stu
24/06/2008, 12:47 PM
Form is temporary, etc etc.
And Nootimeer's good form was temporary.

If we have enough to bring in a right back and a forward (which you can't possibly know, but anyway), I'd pool the money together and get a better forward.

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2008, 1:00 PM
If we have enough to bring in a right back and a forward (which you can't possibly know, but anyway), I'd pool the money together and get a better forward.
Considering the amount of players that left in the off season that weren't replaced, more money than we have ever got from transfer at the one time and that one of our full time staff has left the club it's clear that we can afford to bring in a few players.

Schumi
24/06/2008, 1:18 PM
We're unlikely to get a 'better forward', I'd say.

A bit of defensive cover would be useful. Can this guy cover centre back as well I wonder?

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2008, 1:24 PM
A bit of defensive cover would be useful. Can this guy cover centre back as well I wonder?
He can. Comfortable in either position.

Schumi
24/06/2008, 2:01 PM
Would be useful so (assuming he's any good of course!). It would save us having to move Kenna around when Mahon is injured. We need some centre back cover too, there's a noticable drop in quality if McNally or Kenna are missing.

Student Mullet
24/06/2008, 3:41 PM
Is there a match tonight?

John83
24/06/2008, 3:51 PM
As far as I know, yes, we're home to Monaghan in the cup tonight.

EDIT: Are you suggesting it might be called off, or just unsure about the date of the game?

Student Mullet
24/06/2008, 4:00 PM
I just remembered that there's a game. Normally I get an email a few days before asking me to put up posters.

pineapple stu
24/06/2008, 10:51 PM
Considering the amount of players that left in the off season that weren't replaced, more money than we have ever got from transfer at the one time and that one of our full time staff has left the club it's clear that we can afford to bring in a few players.
(a) We ended up signing most of the experienced players who left (Gregg, Bermo - not on amateur terms any more - and McFaul).
(b) We got more money for Dicker than for Sammon and Quigley, which means this year's budget would be less than last year's.
(c) We have to replace that full time member, and it's quite possible that we're not getting FAI supplementary funds until we do, which lessens the impact of that.

So there's money there alright, just not necessarily enough for two players. The new scholarships are going out about now, and hopefully there'll be one or two of them in and around the first team from the off taking more of the wages. And I still would pool all the money and get the best forward we could. Tonight's shown again that it's far more important than a right back.

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2008, 11:28 PM
(a) We ended up signing most of the experienced players who left (Gregg, Bermo - not on amateur terms any more - and McFaul).
Gregg :confused:- how does he come into anything?

McFaul I had accounted for, not Bermo though. One player changes very little to my point though.

(b) We got more money for Dicker than for Sammon and Quigley, which means this year's budget would be less than last year's.
We didn't sell Dicker until July last year so our budget wouldn't have accounted for his sale. I was actually including his transfer.

(c) We have to replace that full time member, and it's quite possible that we're not getting FAI supplementary funds until we do, which lessens the impact of that.
He won't be replaced until next season (if at all) so that would go into next season's budget. The position has been filled so don't see why the CPO fund would be taken off us.

The new scholarships are going out about now, and hopefully there'll be one or two of them in and around the first team from the off taking more of the wages.
Two scholarship players would take very, very little of the wage bill.

pineapple stu
25/06/2008, 12:31 PM
Gregg :confused:- how does he come into anything?
He was let go and then re-signed.

Don't forget also we had a very good Cup run, which brought in a decent bit of money, which we won't be getting this year...

The position has been filled so don't see why the CPO fund would be taken off us.
Because we're not currently meeting the requirements to get the cash, presumably.

Also, we can't afford Mansaram it seems, which highlights our budget for new players.

On the original topic, Alan Murphy was released by Rovers today (that's the forward Alan Murphy, not Student Mullet's friend). Had an excellent season at Galway, was snapped up by Derry for E30k or something, but hasn't really done much since. Scored the winner for Rovers on the opening day of this season. We could do worse...

DmanDmythDledge
25/06/2008, 1:06 PM
Don't forget also we had a very good Cup run, which brought in a decent bit of money, which we won't be getting this year...
Money which we wouldn't have budgeted for, so that would give us a bit more to spend this year.

Because we're not currently meeting the requirements to get the cash, presumably.
Which are?

Also, we can't afford Mansaram it seems, which highlights our budget for new players.
From what I've outlined I think it's obvious the money is there. The club obviously don't want to break the wage structure that is in place.

Schumi
25/06/2008, 1:59 PM
Alan Murphy's done nothing for years. Has he even started once for Rovers this season? I didn't even know he was there.

Mr Maroon
25/06/2008, 2:22 PM
We're unlikely to get a 'better forward', I'd say.

Regi has played everywhere across the back 4 for us. He's best at RB.

Alan Murphy's done nothing for years. Has he even started once for Rovers this season? I didn't even know he was there.
Yes, and has he scored.

GuisaSaigon
25/06/2008, 3:27 PM
Murphy got 2 goals for Rovers early on but hasn't played much since. Please sign him. He's the last lazy waster I want to see coming to Terryland.

pineapple stu
25/06/2008, 4:44 PM
Which are?
Having a full time CPO with wages to subsidise would sound like a good one.

From what I've outlined I think it's obvious the money is there. The club obviously don't want to break the wage structure that is in place.
Your contradicting yourself now. The club have money but don't want to spend it because they don't have it? The wage structure will reflect the money available.

I don't doubt that there's money available to strengthen the squad. I think further players weren't signed in close season because there wasn't anyone readily available (who wasn't offered higher wages elsewhere). But given we've turned down one player because of money, I think it's obvious there's not as much money there as you're making out. And I think a forward is our overriding concern, not an overrated defender who'd end up being fifth choice centre back.

DmanDmythDledge
25/06/2008, 11:52 PM
Having a full time CPO with wages to subsidise would sound like a good one.
Which we have appointed. The position has been filled as I've already said.

Your contradicting yourself now. The club have money but don't want to spend it because they don't have it? The wage structure will reflect the money available.

I don't doubt that there's money available to strengthen the squad. I think further players weren't signed in close season because there wasn't anyone readily available (who wasn't offered higher wages elsewhere). But given we've turned down one player because of money, I think it's obvious there's not as much money there as you're making out. And I think a forward is our overriding concern, not an overrated defender who'd end up being fifth choice centre back.
No, I'm not. Clubs have wage structures based on what they are prepared to pay individual players, which does not always reflect the amount of money available to spend on wages. The most logical conclusion re Mansaram is that the club were not prepared to spend that much on one player. That may have been because they want to bring in other players and would not be able to do so if he was brought in or, as mentioned earlier, they may not want to break the wage structure. Often clubs would be unprepared to have one player on wages much higher than others as it may effect morale and lead to other key players demanding similar money. In the 90s, Man Utd were unprepared to pay wages that other clubs across Europe were paying, despite being the richest club in the world at the time. So wage structure does not always reflect the money available.

Well compared to last season our squad (wage bill) has lost:

Quigley
Sammon
Crowley
Conan
Tony Mc

and added:

Bermo
Reilly

Given that last July we were able to add Hynes and Murphy on loan (who would have been on decent enough wages at their clubs), our wage bill has decreased and unprojected income last season (cup run, TV revenue) I think it's clear that we can afford to pay the wages of three players who would improve our team.

And your comment about Nooitmeer just shows your dislike/prejudice of all things Galway.

Titan
26/06/2008, 9:39 AM
[QUOTE=DmanDmythDledge;969284]Which we have appointed. The position has been filled as I've already said.

No it hasnt! The club does not have a CPO it has a part time promotions person (Juanace) In order to get the cash the CPO must be full time and have a dual report role to the club and the FAI.
Hence no cash from the FAI!

DmanDmythDledge
26/06/2008, 11:28 AM
No it hasnt! The club does not have a CPO it has a part time promotions person (Juanace) In order to get the cash the CPO must be full time and have a dual report role to the club and the FAI.
Hence no cash from the FAI!
So what are we doing along those lines now then? Are we still going to spend the same amount of our own money as before or are we increasing/cutting back on promotions?

Schumi
26/06/2008, 3:33 PM
If people want to continue boring attempted point scoring, do it elsewhere please.

pineapple stu
26/06/2008, 5:20 PM
Some manner of UCD forum is called for...

The Montrose, maybe?

John83
26/06/2008, 5:26 PM
Some manner of UCD forum is called for...

The Montrose, maybe?
It's already been proposed for the Spain - Russia game, so make sure you've sorted out any arguments before kickoff. I propose it go to a thumb war.

DmanDmythDledge
01/07/2008, 11:29 AM
Rumour on Pats forum that Bermo will sign for them next season.

Bald Student
01/07/2008, 12:21 PM
Rumour on Pats forum that Bermo will sign for them next season.
That was the rumour last season as well. I'd say he'll go somewhere though. He's good enough to play professionally and I was surprised he stayed with us this year.

Does anyone know if we get a transfer fee?

DmanDmythDledge
01/07/2008, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if we get a transfer fee?
I'm not sure. I don't know if him only been signed as an amateur last year makes a difference to the two year compensation rule.

pineapple stu
01/07/2008, 12:35 PM
I think it would.

Conor Sammon being linked with a move to Pat's. IF we could get him on loan, that'd be an Alan Cawley-esque transfer!

DmanDmythDledge
01/07/2008, 12:47 PM
Conor Sammon being linked with a move to Pat's. IF we could get him on loan, that'd be an Alan Cawley-esque transfer!
Seems close to a done deal by what Tony Mc said last night, apparantly. Didn't see it myself so don't know what exactly he said.

Schumi
01/07/2008, 1:27 PM
He said something like "From what I hear, Sammon is going to Pats". He said the same about a few other moves. I don't know how good Tony's sources are!

HarpoJoyce
01/07/2008, 4:29 PM
He said something like "From what I hear, Sammon is going to Pats". He said the same about a few other moves. I don't know how good Tony's sources are!

Didn't he skinny-dip in the fountain of eternal talent when he was younger. He would of come across alot of rumours in his position in Irish Football, but I don't know how he decides to mention one and not another.