PDA

View Full Version : Journey Planner

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 2:58 PM
Does such a thing exist in Ireland?! For public tranpsort i mean not google maps.

So lets say you want to get from somewhere ( Address A ) to somewhere else ( Station B ), and it might involve, walking, train or bus, you can enter in your destination which may be a station or an address ( either to and from ) and it gives you the time and quickest way of getting there. If this doesn't exist dont go stealing my idea :D

I ask because i want to get back from Wexford town to Dublin airport on a sunday for 2 o'clock but im not so sure of where to get all the information and the quickest/cheapest way to do this. :)

I also want to book a train ticket but it wont let me more than 28 days in advance. How much does it cost to get a return by train?!

Schumi
19/05/2008, 3:17 PM
buseireann.ie and irishrail.ie have journey planners for their services but I'm not aware of anywhere that would cover more options. It's a pity because it would be very handy.

There's a list of prices somewhere on the Irish Rail website, returns are usually only a couple of euros dearer than single tickets.

gustavo
19/05/2008, 3:20 PM
aa have a routeplanner on their site too

passinginterest
19/05/2008, 3:20 PM
Train is pretty expensive, I'd say it could be close to €40 return, it's ages since I've got it. Only 3 trains a day still as far a I know so you'd have to get the early morning one.

Don't think there's any integrated journey planner type things to be found. If you get the bus or the train from Wexford to Connolly you can get the Aircoach or the 747 Dulin bus from there to the airport. Would want to allow an hour, although it doesn't usually take that long.

*Edit* Not as bad as I thought, looks like it's €26, still too expensive for such a slow journey. Unless you're just going for the scenery, which is pretty nice most of the way.

Schumi
19/05/2008, 3:22 PM
Train is pretty expensive, I'd say it could be close to €40 return, it's ages since I've got it. Only 3 trains a day still as far a I know so you'd have to get the early morning.

The Wexford route is a good bit cheaper than that. I think it cost me €25-30 return the last time I went down.

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 3:26 PM
tfl.gov.uk

Someone could make a lot of money in Ireland if they set up that website. Its a pity I dont have more time on my hands - all taken up with foot.ie :D

The funniest thing is the Telecoms area of the company I work in created the above website :D Maybe i could steal some stuff.....

Thanks lads for all the info, as thischarmingman said its great to have a place where you can ask a question and get a response so quickly.

I actually forgot that my brother lives near the airport so he will just come in and pick me up - in his big gay mx5 -( though he doesn't know it yet ). I see the train leaves at 9.20 bloody early.....it might end up being cheaper and quicker to have flown to waterford than dublin.

jmurphyc
19/05/2008, 3:28 PM
There's a website called www.dto-journeyplanner.ie as well.

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 3:40 PM
that website is done using servlets, strange....i think it might be a college project website that someone put live and is basically just calling into the irishrail and luas website to get the actual info, still its a start but it only works for dublin.

rambler14
19/05/2008, 3:53 PM
www.aaireland.com is a good route planner.

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 7:01 PM
thats for a car rambler.

passinginterest
19/05/2008, 10:49 PM
thats for a car rambler.

You mean you're not a Transformer?

joe_barry80
25/05/2008, 10:48 AM
Try this website you can get a train connection to almost anywhere

www.bahn.de