PDA

View Full Version : Keiren Westwood G Crewe Alexandra b.1984

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

OwlsFan
07/09/2015, 12:33 PM
No news on the injury but has signed another two year deal to keep him in Sheffield which I would read as indicating that the injury isn't too serious.

Stuttgart88
19/09/2015, 3:29 PM
He's back in the team for the home game v Fulham. 3-1 up. Kavanagh on bench for Fulham.

OwlsFan
05/10/2015, 9:30 AM
I don't get why he's been dropped from the squad unless he's injured. On the 4 keepers, he's the only one playing regularly. Does he have history with O'Neill going back to Sunderland days? I did notice in one of the games recently at Lansdowne when the keepers were warming up, he didn't seem that enthusiastic.

DeLorean
05/10/2015, 9:56 AM
He was given a start against England ahead of Forde and Randolph so if something has gone down I'd imagine it's since then, and not something dating back to O'Neill's Sunderland days.

seanfhear
05/10/2015, 8:19 PM
I'd say that he is our best Goalkeeper. If I was him i would not be happy if I was not our number 1 goalkeeper.

DannyInvincible
06/10/2015, 12:36 AM
I can't fathom it at all. He should be first choice (and should have been for quite some time), yet he somehow appears to be fourth if not fifth choice. It's odd and I hope someone in the media asks O'Neill to explain it. We could really do with Westwood starting for some extra security given the likelihood of Wilson, Clark and Coleman all being unavailable in defence. Whelan and McClean are strong defensive workers in midfield as well, so all a bit concerning that we don't appear to be using the best defensive resources we have available to us.

IsMiseSean
06/10/2015, 1:36 PM
As much as I like Forde. I agree with Danny, Westwood should be our number 1.
Wasn't it the 6-1 defeat to Germany followed by the Faroes that resulted in Trap dropping him?
I can only remember him starting MONs first game against Latvia & the England game since.

DeLorean
06/10/2015, 1:44 PM
I think it was more to do with his lack of first team football at Sunderland at the time. Kind of ironic that he can't get back in despite being our only goalkepper playing regular football now.

Closed Account
06/10/2015, 1:53 PM
O'Neill said yesterday that club informed FAI he had injury issue (again)

OwlsFan
19/10/2015, 9:38 AM
O'Neill said yesterday that club informed FAI he had injury issue (again)

Played against Hull and did well although one or two of his kicks were not of the usual standard. I was interested to see him make one save down low which came through a crowd of players.

TrapAPony
19/12/2015, 5:51 AM
Breaks his silence on his Ireland situation

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-no-hard-feelings-insists-westwood-1-7631871

seanfhear
19/12/2015, 1:19 PM
Breaks his silence on his Ireland situation

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-no-hard-feelings-insists-westwood-1-7631871It is surprising that when he has at times(pretty consistently) been the form goalkeeper that he has not been given the nod. It did raise some eyebrows but the current success has lestened the eyebrow raising !

OwlsFan
21/12/2015, 9:00 AM
Same stuff on the Wednesday website http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/westwood-aims-to-join-brothers-at-euro-2016-2856880.aspx

OwlsFan
07/02/2016, 10:50 AM
Off injured yesterday with concussion. Seems to be unfortunate with injuries.

OwlsFan
12/02/2016, 11:00 AM
Despite his concussion might be back this weekend http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-receive-westwood-boost-1-7728021

OwlsFan
16/02/2016, 10:15 AM
A few good saves for Westwood in this game but at 1.37 he has an assist from a kick out - none of the other Irish keepers (especially Given) can get the length of clearance he has. Nice goal from Hooper from the kick out (not unlike the Varardy one the Sky commentators had an orgasmic moment about). http://www.skysports.com/football/sheff-wed-vs-brentford/report/339901

DeLorean
16/02/2016, 10:50 AM
In fairness, Vardy was practically out the wing when he struck his and it flew in much more spectacularly. Good goal from Hooper though, he's motoring well now whatever happened to him at Norwich.

tetsujin1979
16/02/2016, 11:25 AM
named in the whoscored Championship Team of the Week: https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/699541286471094273
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbU-j2AWwAAmuBJ.jpg

OwlsFan
03/04/2016, 7:48 PM
http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-why-owls-keeper-keiren-westwood-is-the-odd-man-out-for-republic-of-ireland-1-7816975

The reason for him falling out of favour was his constant withdrawal from squads it would appear.

DeLorean
04/04/2016, 12:59 PM
Is he basically saying that he's pulled out of squads for reasons other than injuries? Or is he just saying he's injured too often?

geysir
04/04/2016, 7:02 PM
Is he basically saying that he's pulled out of squads for reasons other than injuries? Or is he just saying he's injured too often?
According to those quotes he's not saying either but says reliability is a very (very) important factor and Westwood is unreliable due to pulling out of squads.
And that's the concern not his undisputed talent.
In almost voyeuristic mode he passes comment on Westwood missing some Sheff Wed games, as if that's further evidence that can be used to prove his point.
Westwood has started 29 out of 39 league games this season.
if that is a criteria that Martin uses, then Shay has played none and Forde has played 9

Stuttgart88
04/04/2016, 8:29 PM
My personal "reading between the lines" take, rather than taking him literally, suggests MON queries Westwood's commitment. He might not be saying he's Stephen Ireland but it looks like he feels that KW took an easy out at least once or twice. Based on talent he'd be a shoo-in in anyone's eyes. Being a bit injury prone in the context of a seven day squad gathering during any international break should never be a reason to pick an inferior player.

I hope, and expect, that given the current situation MON will be pragmatic and select him.

geysir
04/04/2016, 9:57 PM
My personal "reading between the lines" take, rather than taking him literally, suggests MON queries Westwood's commitment. He might not be saying he's Stephen Ireland but it looks like he feels that KW took an easy out at least once or twice. Based on talent he'd be a shoo-in in anyone's eyes. Being a bit injury prone in the context of a seven day squad gathering during any international break should never be a reason to pick an inferior player.

I hope, and expect, that given the current situation MON will be pragmatic and select him.
I suppose the manager is allowed one or two examples which he uses to demonstrate his expected standards. And it doesn't always fit that the example chosen are a "fair" example.
I would totally echo the football rationality for Westwood to be our nr 1 and at the same time give leeway/permission to O'Neill for some vagaries which he could rationalise in a private discussion.

seanfhear
04/04/2016, 10:43 PM
I would say that Keiren Westwood probably was not too happy when Given un-retired himself and went straight back into the Team .

Particularly when Given was not showing any form that was better than the alternatives.

Martin O'Neill is showing signs of holding a grudge here and its not that edifying . Westwood is our most regularly performing Goalkeeper to a good standard and should certainly be in the squad and possibly our number one choice Goalkeeper.

Charlie Darwin
04/04/2016, 11:05 PM
According to those quotes he's not saying either but says reliability is a very (very) important factor and Westwood is unreliable due to pulling out of squads.
And that's the concern not his undisputed talent.
In almost voyeuristic mode he passes comment on Westwood missing some Sheff Wed games, as if that's further evidence that can be used to prove his point.
Westwood has started 29 out of 39 league games this season.
if that is a criteria that Martin uses, then Shay has played none and Forde has played 9
There was an interview he did before the Swiss game where he said it was Westwood's record of actually being fit after call-ups. The suggestion may be his club is pressurising him to pull out.

geysir
05/04/2016, 9:23 AM
There was an interview he did before the Swiss game where he said it was Westwood's record of actually being fit after call-ups. The suggestion may be his club is pressurising him to pull out.

That would be a curious one, because under MO'N at club sunderland, Westwood says
“For a time I was playing in the qualifiers and that coincided with me not playing for Sunderland,” “I think I played more games for the national team than I did for my club that year."
And it doesn't fit with O'Neill's observation about Westwood missing a number of club games, as evidence to prove his general unreliability.

It was reported by Sheff W that he had pulled out from the Ireland squad a couple of days before the away game v Scotland Nov 2014 with a "minor hip injury". However he was fit to play for his club's next game 10 days later.

Was on the bench v Poland at home
Played v England but was dropped to bench v Scotland at home.

V Georgia and Gib sept 2015 he was injured, bruised kidney (http://www.the42.ie/championship-wrap-brighton-chris-hughton-top-table-2276236-Aug2015/) missed 6 games for club, 3 before and 3 after

V Germany Oct 8 he was fit and culled from the 40 man squad
he didn't pull out due to injury

Westwood had made himself available and was dropped.

paul_oshea
05/04/2016, 10:17 AM
I would say that Keiren Westwood probably was not too happy when Given un-retired himself and went straight back into the Team .

Particularly when Given was not showing any form that was better than the alternatives.

Martin O'Neill is showing signs of holding a grudge here and its not that edifying . Westwood is our most regularly performing Goalkeeper to a good standard and should certainly be in the squad and possibly our number one choice Goalkeeper.

It could be that or it could be that He doesnt like the disruption and is trying to build a squad around familiarity and comraderie, once that will give everything for eachother no matter what circumstance, hence having jonny walters and keane around the squad even though they were injured. On top of that he might feel that the difference between who we believe to be our No.1 Westwood and Randolph is not that great, that it doesnt merit chopping and changing the Gks in the squad to avoid that disruption.

I can see both sides of it, a keeper and his defence definitely need that familiarity going into a Championship, and in International football its imperative given the limited time together that players have. I can also see the side that in the 89th minute when we need an agile, tall and quick to get down keeper like westwood making a last gasp save to keep us in a game, thats also imperative.

Stuttgart88
05/04/2016, 10:45 AM
Sewing the seeds of another "told you so"! He got down sharply enough at Anfield recently. I'm happy with Randolph even if I think he gets beaten a little easily on occasion.

Regardless of each keeper's respective strengths and weaknesses, Elliott's absence just must require a Westwood call-up.

DeLorean
05/04/2016, 11:36 AM
Hopefully but I wouldn't be sure that O'Neill will see it that way. He still has his three most recent number ones available and Henderson also. With the WC qualifying campaign in mind though it would be silly not to bring Westwood back in.

seanfhear
05/04/2016, 8:58 PM
http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-should-look-to-westwood-34598327.html

Manager talks up his own player shocker !

But in this case the manager is right . Martin O'Neill will have a lot of egg on his face if through injury or misfortune the absence of this in form Goalkeeper becomes costly.

OwlsFan
06/04/2016, 9:20 AM
http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-should-look-to-westwood-34598327.html

Manager talks up his own player shocker !

But in this case the manager is right . Martin O'Neill will have a lot of egg on his face if through injury or misfortune the absence of this in form Goalkeeper becomes costly.

"Westwood's feat of four successive away clean sheets is an all-time club record" - says a lot about a club founded 149 years ago :) :)

DeLorean
06/04/2016, 9:34 AM
I was thinking the same thing! I wouldn't go bragging about that one.

geysir
06/04/2016, 10:26 AM
4 successive away clean sheets is a deal, Championship (and old Div 1) record is 6.
Westwood is going for gold.

OwlsFan
06/04/2016, 6:26 PM
4 successive away clean sheets is a deal, Championship (and old Div 1) record is 6.
Westwood is going for gold.

Clean sheet and Sheffield Wednesday are an oxymoron.

Bristol City, Derby County and Wolves to go.

He made a goal against Blackburn last night. Long clearance over the top a goal came as a result.

Stuttgart88
07/04/2016, 11:05 AM
Long clearance over the top a goal came as a result.Your favourite type :)

DeLorean
07/04/2016, 11:14 AM
MON's favourite type too, if that doesn't make him think nothing will :)

Highlights here (https://youtu.be/2czdrEzzkUY?t=30s)... think he might have done a bit better for Blackburn's goal.

Stuttgart88
07/04/2016, 12:37 PM
I thought it was a well-placed header. No biggy though, he's saving his best form for away games.

Duffy not really accountable for either goal which is good given that Paul is on foot.ie today :)

DeLorean
07/04/2016, 1:04 PM
I thought it was a well-placed header.

No doubt. He was a nice bit out though, I didn't think there was that much power and it was at a pretty good height.

paul_oshea
07/04/2016, 1:41 PM
I thought it was a well-placed header. No biggy though, he's saving his best form for away games.

Duffy not really accountable for either goal which is good given that Paul is on foot.ie today :)

Ya, but at the weekend he was poor, he seems to get carded a lot.

SkStu
07/04/2016, 5:38 PM
Ya, but at the weekend he was poor, he seems to get carded a lot.

Say it Paul, say it...give the baying crowd what they craving... :)

OwlsFan
11/04/2016, 9:05 AM
Westwood didn't play in the 4-1 defeat at the weekend by Bristol City. Westwood pulled out in the warm-up due to illness so he missed the hammering. Not sure of the nature of his illness.

Charlie Darwin
11/04/2016, 2:21 PM
Westwood didn't play in the 4-1 defeat at the weekend by Bristol City. Westwood pulled out in the warm-up due to illness so he missed the hammering. Not sure of the nature of his illness.
He thought it was an international.

OwlsFan
11/04/2016, 5:23 PM
He thought it was an international.

Don't think so because he was due to start the game and not play second fiddle to inferior players.

geysir
11/04/2016, 7:30 PM
It just goes to prove that you can't depend on him to turn up, even when he's selected to play.

SkStu
11/04/2016, 7:47 PM
if any of you find yourselves doubting Westwood and his squad pull outs, just remember he's a good Catholic lad. Jesus has forgiven him- so should we.

Closed Account
11/04/2016, 9:27 PM
if any of you find yourselves doubting Westwood and his squad pull outs, just remember he's a good Catholic lad. Jesus has forgiven him- so should we.
I guess you're right, just a shame in this day and age that he still thinks it's better to pull out than to just show up with proper protection.

SkStu
11/04/2016, 10:54 PM
He'd rather sit on a bible than sit on the bench! :D

OwlsFan
04/05/2016, 10:16 AM
Did well on Saturday and some of his kick-outs had pinpoint accuracy. Has equalled last season's club record of shut outs and another one against Wolves this weekend will see the record broken although he could be rested.

What's the word on Given?

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/05/2016, 1:26 PM
http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consistent-keiren-westwood-thrives-on-the-big-stage-1-7928946

“He had a period where he had some problems. After his last physical problem, he has been fantastic. He came back very strong. He is playing fantastically after the injury, he is strong and in his best shape of the season.” (http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consistent-keiren-westwood-thrives-on-the-big-stage-1-7928946)

(http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consistent-keiren-westwood-thrives-on-the-big-stage-1-7928946)

DannyInvincible
25/05/2016, 1:37 PM
http://www.thestar.co.uk/webimage/1.7928944.1464168170!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/articleMaxWidth_620/image.jpg

Note the colour of his gloves and the tricolour.

I recall when he started against England in the friendly last year, he also sang 'Amhrán na bhFiann', so he obviously has strong sentiment for his heritage. Odd then that his commitment/reliability appears to be in question.

Here's a fan video of the anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yV0SoeEDuk