PDA

View Full Version : Keiren Westwood G Crewe Alexandra b.1984

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]

nigel-harps1954
01/02/2021, 8:00 PM
McDermott has played 143 senior club matches in his career, all in either various levels of Norweigian football except for 3 in a brief spell in Romania. How many of those have you seen to form such an opinion?

ESPN Argentina cover Norweigian football on a regular basis. The commentators have colourful nicknames for them, and regularly compare them to some random Irish footballer from the 1980's.

irishfan86
01/02/2021, 9:15 PM
Francis Stapleton was handy in goals after his outfield career. A long storied career in his 40s in South America.

tetsujin1979
02/02/2021, 9:16 AM
Bielsa, last warning - learn to use to the multi-edit button (the + icon in the bottom right of every post), or edit your posts to add a new quote.
next time it's an infraction

Bielsa´s irish
02/02/2021, 9:47 AM
ok I just saw the icon now, Sorry wont happen again

OwlsFan
03/02/2021, 4:24 PM
He doesn't do sitting on the bench. Fell out with the previous manager Monks and wouldn't even appear in the squad when he was dropped so it's not just with the Irish team. Felt for him during the Euros in Poland when he was at the top of his game and Given wasn't. Form not bad at the momet. Some good saves last night including a vital one in the 95th minute.

Razors left peg
03/02/2021, 9:10 PM
Hes 36, never been that interested in being a squad player. Time to move on from him I think

Fixer82
05/02/2021, 8:43 AM
He doesn't do sitting on the bench. Fell out with the previous manager Monks and wouldn't even appear in the squad when he was dropped so it's not just with the Irish team. Felt for him during the Euros in Poland when he was at the top of his game and Given wasn't. Form not bad at the momet. Some good saves last night including a vital one in the 95th minute.

Yep, Given should not have been starting those games. He was in the worst form of his life but Trap was never going to drop him.

Diggs246
05/02/2021, 1:09 PM
Trap was very experienced and I dont accept the " he was never going to drop him" argument. That was traps job to make tough decisions. Of course we would have all fainted in poznan hearing Given is dropped. But trap was paid 40,000 a week to make big calls.

Kingdom
05/02/2021, 1:51 PM
Whatever about form in 2012, wasn't Given injured and not at 100%?

Diggs246
05/02/2021, 2:02 PM

sorry, that's all I'm referring too

OwlsFan
05/02/2021, 2:08 PM
Trap was very experienced and I dont accept the " he was never going to drop him" argument. That was traps job to make tough decisions. Of course we would have all fainted in poznan hearing Given is dropped. But trap was paid 40,000 a week to make big calls.

Although a Trapp supporter, picking the wrong player was not unusual for him despite being paid the money he was getting.

jbyrne
05/02/2021, 2:31 PM

yes, was at the croatia match and remember him only being able to take a very limited part in the warm up.
Think it was the same knee injury that saw him come off against Germany in 2015 and effectively ended his Irish career.

Fixer82
05/02/2021, 7:46 PM
I remember him being poor diving down to his left (or was it his right?) and he conceded a couple of goals like that for us. Including at home to Estonia in play off

Charlie Darwin
07/02/2021, 12:29 AM
I remember him being poor diving down to his left (or was it his right?) and he conceded a couple of goals like that for us. Including at home to Estonia in play off
It was his left shoulder he dislocated that more or less ended his time as Man City #1, wasn't it?

Trequartista20
11/02/2021, 10:36 AM
'"You don’t retire from playing for your country – that’s how I see it,” says the former Coventry City and Sunderland goalkeeper...'

https://www.the42.ie/westwood-open-to-recall-for-world-cup-qualifiers-5350902-Feb2021/

CraftyToePoke
11/02/2021, 11:28 AM
“I’m not saying I should be playing or I should be in the squad just because I’m playing for Wednesday. I don’t want to give it that spiel because that’s just not me.

“It’s down to whatever the manager wants to do. If he wants to pick me, great, I’ll be delighted. If he doesn’t, like I say, international football retires you, you don’t retire from international football.”“It would be special to see Ireland and all the lads qualifying for a World Cup. If I was to be part of that it would obviously be great.”

McGoldricks decision looking more and more like a cop out

seanfhear
11/02/2021, 12:24 PM
McGoldricks decision looking more and more like a cop out
McGoldrick pulled the plug when there was a very very good chance of him being in the team. For whatever reason it certainly looks like McGoldrick wasn’t really feeling the International football thing !

John83
11/02/2021, 1:12 PM
When a team is losing and not even competitive, there can be a pretty nasty vibe among the players. Acrimony, pessimism, it can just be a bit **** to be around. Can't have helped.

elatedscum
11/02/2021, 6:51 PM
'"You don’t retire from playing for your country – that’s how I see it,” says the former Coventry City and Sunderland goalkeeper...'

https://www.the42.ie/westwood-open-to-recall-for-world-cup-qualifiers-5350902-Feb2021/

i think alan kelly leaving also might help that. kelly has over the past decade made statements that were critical of westwood (albeit encouraging criticism). something along the lines of "if westwood doesn't get his act together, he'll look back on his career and regret the fact that for all his ability he got so few caps" - that type thing.

personally, i'd be happy with Randolph, Kelleher and Westwood for the next squad (unless travers does well back at bournemouth). i think you always want one keeper in your squad who is playing regularly and the interview he gave, certainly says all the right things.

Demesne Lad
06/11/2021, 6:01 PM
Keiren Westwood (37) training with Crewe Alexandra while he continues to look for a new club. (Sheffield Star, 4 November)

Demesne Lad
21/03/2022, 1:32 PM
Westwood played for QPR v Peterborough in the Championship on Saturday as 4 (!) of Rangers' keepers are injured.

Stuttgart88
21/03/2022, 1:47 PM
Add him to the "embarrassment of riches" thread! Didn't see Peterborough's first, he nearly got to the pen (goal 2), and was beaten by a screamer for the third. Shocking result for QPR.

liamoo11
22/03/2022, 6:58 AM
Westwood played for QPR v Peterborough in the Championship on Saturday as 4 (!) of Rangers' keepers are injured.

Harry Halwax signed for them in Jan I assume he is one of the injured keepers? He had been playing with their 23s

ontheotherhand
16/05/2023, 12:27 AM
Dan McDonnell reporting that Westwood could be on the way to Rovers. Big step up for the lad from retirement but if he makes an impact he could be on his way to a cap.........

Trequartista20
16/05/2023, 8:39 AM
Longer term, I wonder if Kieran O'Hara is an option Rovers might pursue now he's out of contract?

I don't see him doing a whole lot better than the LoI; it seems he'll struggle to secure a contract even at League Two level at this stage. Only turned 26 last month and it might even offer him a route back into the Ireland picture.

Demesne Lad
08/02/2024, 3:44 PM
Signs a short-term contract with Crewe Alexandra, who need cover following an injury to their recent first choice keeper. (BBC Football, 8 Feb)