PDA

View Full Version : Trapattoni names his first Ireland squad of 28

Pages : [1] 2

pateen
13/05/2008, 2:19 PM
Taken From RTE.ie

Trapattoni names his first Republic squad
Tuesday, 13 May 2008 15:09
Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has named his first Irish squad when he announced a panel of 28 players for a training camp in Portugal, followed by friendlies with Serbia and Columbia.

Not one of the trio of Stephen Ireland, Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien have been named in the panel after Trapattoni held talks with them about returning to the fold, but goalkeeper Dean Kiely returns to the Republic squad after previously retiring from international football in 2003.

Trapattoni insists the door is still open for Ireland, Finnan and O'Brien and said: 'It is now up to them to decide what to do.'

John O'Shea, Aiden McGeady, Darren O'Dea, Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane were all left out of the training squad due to their late season exertions, but will link up with the squad for the friendlies on 24 and 29 May.

Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien all miss out through injury.

Trapattoni told the official FAI website: 'Any player who is not in this squad is still in my thoughts. Some players who were not in the preliminary squad are in this squad because they have impressed and are playing in positions where we had vacancies.

'We will continue to monitor every Irish player from the start of next season and if they impress they will be brought into the squad.

'The next two weeks are important. It is my first opportunity to work with the players and I am looking forward to it. We will have two training games in Portugal and the games against Serbia and Colombia so I will get to see all the players playing.'

The kick-off time for the Serbian clash has been moved from 7.30 to 7.45pm.

Republic of Ireland squad:
Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle, Dean Kiely, Joe Murphu
Defenders: Alex Bruce, Damien Delaney, Richard Dunne, Kevin Foley, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea
Midfielders: Damien Duff, Owen Garvan, Darron Gibson, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Stephen McPhail, Liam Miller, Darren Potter, Andy Reid, Martin Rowlands, Sean Scannell, Glenn Whelan
Forwards: Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Andy Keogh, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy

Block G Raptor
13/05/2008, 2:51 PM
No Ireland, O'Brien or Finnan

seanog2001
13/05/2008, 2:53 PM
good to see Wes Hoolahan in the squad deserves it after a great season with blackpool fair play mate:eek:

blobbyblob
13/05/2008, 3:20 PM
Gibson misses through injury but named in the squad?

the doc
13/05/2008, 3:20 PM
Alex Bruce in ahead of St Ledger, total joke!

blobbyblob
13/05/2008, 3:26 PM
Still no Lawrence. Weird.

zenokelly
13/05/2008, 3:27 PM
Taken From RTE.ie

Trapattoni names his first Republic squad
Tuesday, 13 May 2008 15:09
Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has named his first Irish squad when he announced a panel of 28 players for a training camp in Portugal, followed by friendlies with Serbia and Columbia.

Not one of the trio of Stephen Ireland, Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien have been named in the panel after Trapattoni held talks with them about returning to the fold, but goalkeeper Dean Kiely returns to the Republic squad after previously retiring from international football in 2003.

Trapattoni insists the door is still open for Ireland, Finnan and O'Brien and said: 'It is now up to them to decide what to do.'

John O'Shea, Aiden McGeady, Darren O'Dea, Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane were all left out of the training squad due to their late season exertions, but will link up with the squad for the friendlies on 24 and 29 May.

Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien all miss out through injury.

Trapattoni told the official FAI website: 'Any player who is not in this squad is still in my thoughts. Some players who were not in the preliminary squad are in this squad because they have impressed and are playing in positions where we had vacancies.

'We will continue to monitor every Irish player from the start of next season and if they impress they will be brought into the squad.

'The next two weeks are important. It is my first opportunity to work with the players and I am looking forward to it. We will have two training games in Portugal and the games against Serbia and Colombia so I will get to see all the players playing.'

The kick-off time for the Serbian clash has been moved from 7.30 to 7.45pm.

Republic of Ireland squad:
Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle, Dean Kiely, Joe Murphu
Defenders: Alex Bruce, Damien Delaney, Richard Dunne, Kevin Foley, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea
Midfielders: Damien Duff, Owen Garvan, Darron Gibson, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Stephen McPhail, Liam Miller, Darren Potter, Andy Reid, Martin Rowlands, Sean Scannell, Glenn Whelan
Forwards: Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Andy Keogh, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy

Ya it's a pity Liam Lawrence wasn't one of them. Does he know he qualifies for us, I do wonder!

Who were these players he was talking about anyway? Bruce and who else?

pateen
13/05/2008, 3:30 PM

Agreed.

Congrats to Damien Delaney......another ex Cork City star. :cool:

rambler14
13/05/2008, 3:37 PM
Gibson misses through injury but named in the squad?

I noticed that too but if you count the amount in the squad it adds up to 29. So obviously Gibson is out.

rambler14
13/05/2008, 3:38 PM
It's great to see so many new names in the squad. It's nice to see Kiely and McPhail back as well.

Speakthetruth
13/05/2008, 3:51 PM
Disapointed not to see a slot for the Clint, obviously more of viable present striking option than the Longs of the world. Feel that from hearing him interviewed re: wanting to get back into squad, having Trap watch him at Stoke etc. that he would have definitely took his chance and performed if he was selected. Palace have a slight chance of th e play-off final but seeing as Scannell has been named, I'm at a loss...:confused:

colster
13/05/2008, 3:59 PM
Disapointed not to see a slot for the Clint, obviously more of viable present striking option than the Longs of the world. Feel that from hearing him interviewed re: wanting to get back into squad, having Trap watch him at Stoke etc. that he would have definitely took his chance and performed if he was selected. Palace have a slight chance of th e play-off final but seeing as Scannell has been named, I'm at a loss...:confused:

Long has scored 3 goals in 5 games for Ireland.

cavan_fan
13/05/2008, 3:59 PM
I noticed that too but if you count the amount in the squad it adds up to 29. So obviously Gibson is out.

I think we're allowed to have 28 normal players and one wind up the northerners token player!

Speakthetruth
13/05/2008, 4:07 PM
Long has scored 3 goals in 5 games for Ireland.

granted, but hardly important goals eh? Bolivia in the US (I seem to remember Dominic Foley scoring all round him there a few years ago for us and he never materialised as an International player), could have managed a double against Denmark myself, they were woeful. Morrison, unlike most of our striking options include keane, has scored important goals in COMPETITIVE away games. Long looks decent but not a reliable current option at this level IMO, Im not saying Morrison is world class but in competitive games, he has more experience, has scored goals and would get my shout..;)

Dr. Ogba
13/05/2008, 4:09 PM
omission of Clint, St. Ledger, Lawrence and Kenny are disappointments but it is great to see him cast the net wider than his illustrious predecessor...

boovidge
13/05/2008, 4:27 PM
I think we're allowed to have 28 normal players and one wind up the northerners token player!

alex bruce has already filled that position ;)

ChrisRed
13/05/2008, 4:46 PM
Is Ste Reid injured? RTE website said 'Trapattoni's choices were further limited by injuries to Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien' no mention of Reid.
Martin Rowlands has had a good season with QPR picked up player of the year awards. Good to see him and Hoolahan get in.

gaiscĂ­och
13/05/2008, 5:23 PM
Seen both Delaney and Rowlands over at QPR this year. I must say I was very impressed with Rowlands he was excellent. Delaney was good also but I think he just lacks a yard of pace. Great news for QPR...:D

SkStu
13/05/2008, 7:03 PM
And I'll say what we're all thinking, where the hell is david connolly?

no i believe most of us are thinking "where the hell is Ciarans defence of Stephen Ireland?"

FarBeag
13/05/2008, 7:13 PM
no i believe most of us are thinking "where the hell is Ciarans defence of Stephen Ireland?"

Or the fact that there is a dozen or so players from the championship!

Paddy Garcia
13/05/2008, 8:32 PM

I'm no longer surprised.

DeNiro
13/05/2008, 9:40 PM
Where's Steven Reid? Is he injured?

brine3
13/05/2008, 10:31 PM
Good to see Kiely back. It will be good to have two Premiership goalkeepers in the squad.

Probably the most underrated keeper in England over the past decade.

Kingdom
14/05/2008, 7:35 AM
I'm happy to have Andy Keogh in that squad and without Keane I reckon he could start. I'm not sure do people on this site actually watch the players they comment on? I thought it was widely known that Kee-oh was more a maker of goals than a scorer of goals, while having a decent strike rate. As for being stuck on the right hand side for Ireland forget that it was a miscarriage of justice on the kid!

Dr. Ogba
14/05/2008, 8:00 AM
I'm happy to have Andy Keogh in that squad and without Keane I reckon he could start.

I think Keane will be there for the friendly, its just the training camp he's missing out on. I'd actually like to see a Keane/Keogh combination tried at some stage...

scousedub
14/05/2008, 8:15 AM

He's injured

elroy
14/05/2008, 8:21 AM
Interesting listening to newstalk last night, about nine ish they went thru a good bit of his press conference. Apparently Trap more or less said that Finnan has agreed to come back and that he expects O'Brien to do so as well. He also said that he wanted to speak to the squad about SI's return.

Anyone any ideas why S Reid isnt included thou?

blobbyblob
14/05/2008, 8:31 AM
He also said that he wanted to speak to the squad about SI's return.

Trap : Now boys. Ireland coming. Now not to be making the laughing. Seriously - not the laughing.
Hunt : Whats he talkin' about bioy?
Trap : The hair and the mama. Not the laughin. You do the laugh and he go.
Dunne : Right Gaffer. What about the jeep?
Trap : What with the jeep?

tetsujin1979
14/05/2008, 8:37 AM
Interesting listening to newstalk last night, about nine ish they went thru a good bit of his press conference. Apparently Trap more or less said that Finnan has agreed to come back and that he expects O'Brien to do so as well. He also said that he wanted to speak to the squad about SI's return.

I recorded the press conference here: http://media.putfile.com/Squad-Announcement-VS-Serbia-and-Colombia
Pretty much everything, except the actual announcement of the squad, and a question about Stephen Ireland, the stream cleared up after that and I could record it

livehead1
14/05/2008, 9:07 AM
I recorded the press conference here: http://media.putfile.com/Squad-Announcement-VS-Serbia-and-Colombia
Pretty much everything, except the actual announcement of the squad, and a question about Stephen Ireland, the stream cleared up after that and I could record it

His English is excellent. Far better than Capello's.

finnpark
14/05/2008, 10:29 AM
Impressed by the stance taken, I think its the right squad to pick.

Steven Reid is useless and its about time some Irish manager noticed this.

Wayne Henderson is useless.

We can do without Stehen Ireland. He would only unsettle the side. Those players who think that they are great would only unsettle the side.

Also, great to see 5 or 6 ex league of ireland players in the squad, they really are showing that the league of ireland is producing top quality players. Im really excited about seeing Hoolahan especially. I don't think this team will qualify but fair play to the management bacause I think they made all the right decisions.

Theres a massive chance of them going with a 4-4-2 I think and with the wingers we have (Hunt and McGeady) its the right thing to do. :)

With a 4-4-2:

------------------------------- Doyle

Kelly ---------------- Dunne -------- O'Shea ------------- Kilbane

McGeady ------------- A Reid --------- Gibson ------------ Hunt

--------------------------- Doyle -------- Keane

I would like to see as many young players as possible being brought through :)

Supreme feet
14/05/2008, 11:38 AM
Gibson's injured. Quite disappointed that Steven Reid and Gibson are both out, I think central midfield is an area that Trap badly needs to address. Hopefully Garvan will get a run-out - he looks the part. I don't think Hoolahan or Whelan will give us a whole lot (both skilful and tidy, but too small, not dominant enough), and McPhail has had enough chances in the past and I can't see him really breaking through - but hopefully I'll be wrong.

lionelhutz
14/05/2008, 11:54 AM
Impressed by the stance taken, I think its the right squad to pick.

Steven Reid is useless and its about time some Irish manager noticed this.

Tell me you're trying to wind people up here. Stephen Reid is a vital part of a team that came 7th in the premiership. Is there any other Irish players you could say that about in the top 8 of the premier league? Carsley perhaps.

He's an excellent reader of the game, good tackler, has a great engine and always seems to pick the right pass. Ya we don't need him at all.............

And you put Gibson in to your starting line up, you're hilarious

lionelhutz
14/05/2008, 11:56 AM

Anyone any ideas why S Reid isnt included thou?

He's probably been given some time off to rest after recovering from his injury. Precautionary measure

Razors left peg
14/05/2008, 12:21 PM
He's probably been given some time off to rest after recovering from his injury. Precautionary measure

Says in the Star today that Reid is having a knee operation, hope its not another serious injury

olegunnar
14/05/2008, 12:36 PM
lawrence is having groin surgery and will be out til August, but no-where was it mentioned that this was the reason he wasnt called up.

reid is also out injured, as the previous post stated.

Trap stated that he would use the time to get to know the younger players, and i think this is why scannell is in over clint, ive often thought that Rowlands should be on fringes, especially if Gibson & Douglas have been...

Shedender81
14/05/2008, 1:06 PM
Lawerence is no loss...

lionelhutz
14/05/2008, 1:57 PM
Says in the Star today that Reid is having a knee operation, hope its not another serious injury

Thats a disappointment. Says on the Blackburn Rovers website that Reid will have an operation to check the progress of his earlier cruciate ligament injury.

It also says he is expected to be fit for the start of pre season in July

Razors left peg
14/05/2008, 6:21 PM
Thats a disappointment. Says on the Blackburn Rovers website that Reid will have an operation to check the progress of his earlier cruciate ligament injury.

It also says he is expected to be fit for the start of pre season in July

Thats great news, was terrified that he was gonna be out again for long period, think he is gonna be vital for us in the qualifiers

Paddy Garcia
14/05/2008, 7:03 PM
Lawerence is no loss...

Yes he is.

I must confess I'm not entirely sure where you are coming from! Though your point is well made:rolleyes:

FarBeag
14/05/2008, 7:18 PM
Yes he is.

I must confess I'm not entirely sure where you are coming from! Though your point is well made:rolleyes:

nice one :D:D

tetsujin1979
16/05/2008, 11:11 AM
Dean Kiely's thoughts on returning to the squad: http://www.icons.com/kiely/diary.html?15.05.08

lionelhutz
16/05/2008, 12:14 PM
Interesting reading. He's obviously going to start the upcoming friendlies which is great - he can get to know players again.

Plus hopefully he'll be starting in the premier league next year - which can only be a good thing for the Irish team

Wolfie
16/05/2008, 12:24 PM
Dean Kiely's thoughts on returning to the squad: http://www.icons.com/kiely/diary.html?15.05.08

Ironically enough, with Shay injured so often for the last campaign he would have started quite a lot of games - a campaign that would have driven him into retirement! :)

shakermaker1982
16/05/2008, 2:06 PM
I think we might as well try a few new lads out in our 'problem' areas. A partner for Dunne needs to be identified asap as does a left back. Foley deserves a go at RB. In midfield I'd like to see Garvan and Whelan given a run out.

O'Shea can warm the bench like he does for Man Utd.

FarBeag
16/05/2008, 2:47 PM
Yep aggree. I would like to see Foley and Delaney given a go. Its a shame that he did not take McCarthy/St Ledger along just to see how they would cope.

zenokelly
16/05/2008, 3:51 PM
Yep aggree. I would like to see Foley and Delaney given a go. Its a shame that he did not take McCarthy/St Ledger along just to see how they would cope.

I can just see the headlines now "Janey Delaney"

Sorry - pathetic but it had to be done.

If your saying they should be starting for the Georgia match, I think that your way over - estimating the players. Remember, Foley was palying league 1 football last season and past this site there wouldn't be a whole lot of people that have even heard of Damien Delaney.

amaccann
17/05/2008, 2:15 PM
A quick question regarding the non-injury drop-outs (Keane, mcPhail etc). Do we know that they will be joining up with the squad after the Portuguese training, when the Trap-wagon roles into town for the friendlies, or are they out of the running completely?

FarBeag
17/05/2008, 2:42 PM
I can just see the headlines now "Janey Delaney"

Sorry - pathetic but it had to be done.

If your saying they should be starting for the Georgia match, I think that your way over - estimating the players. Remember, Foley was palying league 1 football last season and past this site there wouldn't be a whole lot of people that have even heard of Damien Delaney.

No not at all. I am just glad to see them in the squad. I was thinking more the serbia/Colombia game. I also think that Delaney is a lot better known that you think. He palyed with Leicester city making some premiership apppearances a few years back.He can also play in the centre.

geysir
17/05/2008, 3:17 PM
Trap’s Ireland - 'the process will be one of evolution rather than revolution'.
Good article today from boot camp in the Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=62949-qqqx=1.asp).