http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/squad/statement.html

Lim till i die
31/03/2008, 11:25 AM
Well it's about fuppin time!!!

Damn, Galway are going to be successful now aren't they?? :p

Conor H
31/03/2008, 11:26 AM
Excellent news.

Benefits of full time to show soon now we hope.

Come on UTD!
Best of Luck to TC.

Danny
31/03/2008, 11:27 AM
Dolan / Rico / Roddy ???

Conor H
31/03/2008, 11:28 AM
Rumours saying Rico has both accepted and turned down the position!:p

Lim till i die
31/03/2008, 11:28 AM
Dolan / Rico / Roddy ???

Hire all three.

Put them in a house.

And make a reality show.

Dodge
31/03/2008, 11:32 AM
Hire all three.

Put them in a house.

And make a reality show.

I'd watch it

Macy
31/03/2008, 11:32 AM
Dolan's from Galway, great affinity with the place.

dcfcsteve
31/03/2008, 11:33 AM
Dolan / Rico / Roddy ???

Dolan ruled himself out of other bigger posts recently to focus on his TV work.

If they're stupid enough to hire Shoddy they deserve to be relegated.

Maybe Rico would prefer to keep himself free for the Cork job, given the hash of it Matthews is making. Or the Bohs job, when Fenlon eventually gets rumbled again.

GuisaSaigon
31/03/2008, 11:34 AM
Pat wouldn't give up his Setanta gig easily. Not sure we could afford his hairdressing charges.

Dodge
31/03/2008, 11:35 AM
Dolan ruled himself out of other bigger posts recently to focus on his TV work.

Not true, AFAIK he only turned down Derry

Lim till i die
31/03/2008, 11:35 AM
I'd watch it

Everyone would watch it Dodge :)

MyTown
31/03/2008, 11:40 AM
Best of luck to Tony Cousins for the future. Thanks for your efforts with our club. For the record you leave having led the club on its longest ever winning sequence. Sorry it didn't work out in the Premier League.

The Lilywhites
31/03/2008, 12:06 PM
Dolan / Rico / Roddy ???

Connor? :D

Claret Murph
31/03/2008, 12:06 PM
We will no doubt get quite a few linked to the job , I have been told that it's a done deal with Rico but what do I know . I just hope Billy will get a run at it and I am sure a lot of Galway fans will want him above any other person to do well .:ball:

a.a.d
31/03/2008, 12:07 PM
Heres one for the statos

Has any manager been sacked quicker, I mean four games in must be a record.

What do you think??????

Sumac
31/03/2008, 12:13 PM
I think this stems from our performances last season as much as the opening 4 games this season. What was the most disappointing aspect for me was the poor fitness levels for professional players. We gave away a lot of poor goals under Cousins and the football was poor to watch last season.
Having said that I am grateful for what he did and wish him all teh best for teh future. Utd had stopped progressing under him.
If we can't get Rico, maybe Cork will take him and we take Matthews who might be better suited to a club which is not expected to do much this season,

eamo1
31/03/2008, 12:14 PM
It carried on from last season where the performances were poor and given our budget we only avoided the drop on the 2nd last day od the season.If you were there last saturday nght and witnessed the crap there was then you wouldnt be surprised hes gone.This is decisive leadership by Nick and the Board i feel,not a hasty reaction.

galwayhoop
31/03/2008, 12:15 PM
Heres one for the statos

What do you think??????

While that sounds like a knee jerk reaction when put in the context of a poor first season and carrying on in a worse vein this term it really isn't a surprise. This has been coming. There was a lot of talk locally last week that a loss on Saturday against Rovers would be the final nail in the coffin.

Heres hoping for Richardson.

TonyD
31/03/2008, 12:15 PM
It's a bit of a joke to be sacking your manager after four games IMO. Okay, they haven't had a great start, but surely they were in a position before the start of the season too decide if Cousins was the man for the job. If they felt he wasn't, that was the time to get rid of him. if they thought he was, then they should have stuck with him for a bit longer surely ? To dump him after four games smacks of panic stations.

Mr A
31/03/2008, 12:20 PM
It's a bit of a joke to be sacking your manager after four games IMO. Okay, they haven't had a great start, but surely they were in a position before the start of the season too decide if Cousins was the man for the job. If they felt he wasn't, that was the time to get rid of him. if they thought he was, then they should have stuck with him for a bit longer surely ? To dump him after four games smacks of panic stations.

Very easy to say all that, and it does make sense, but while Cousins may not be much of a manager he can spoof at Olympic levels. He was brilliant at explaining bad results and promising jam tomorrow- but the aforementioned condiment never materialised. Obviously he managed to convince the board at GUFC that this season would be different but already there is substantial evidence that, under Cousins at least, it won't. Also, he never fully committed to the job by not moving to Galway, so he can have little complaint.

finnpark
31/03/2008, 12:40 PM
I should be a consultant to LOI chairmen. Was laughed at on here last year when I said Fenlon would be gone quickly and always stated that Cousins wasn't up to much. If you look at the signings he made it was obvious that he wasn't brightest tool in the toolbox.

I wish him the best of luck but I don't think he will be getting a premier division job again in a while.

TonyD
31/03/2008, 12:43 PM
Very easy to say all that, and it does make sense, but while Cousins may not be much of a manager he can spoof at Olympic levels. He was brilliant at explaining bad results and promising jam tomorrow- but the aforementioned condiment never materialised. Obviously he managed to convince the board at GUFC that this season would be different but already there is substantial evidence that, under Cousins at least, it won't. Also, he never fully committed to the job by not moving to Galway, so he can have little complaint.

You've obviously got a much more informed view than me, but I ask again, should the Board not have known this before the season started ?

BTW in the predictions thread for the season, how many forecast that Cousins would be the first manager gone ? I know I did. I also forecast Paul Cook as the first manager to quit, so watch out Sligo fans.

finnpark
31/03/2008, 12:44 PM
If we can't get Rico, maybe Cork will take him and we take Matthews who might be better suited to a club which is not expected to do much this season,

Are you mad, Cork paid Rico a load of dosh just to leave. It went to court. If you think Rico is returning to Cork then you are truly mistaken.

I can see both Rico and Connor in for this. Pat Dolan is happy get paid to get fatter on Setanta and Roddy is busy trying to relegate Gretna and Rochdale.

Rico will get it if he wants it.

JC_GUFC
31/03/2008, 12:57 PM
Also, he never fully committed to the job by not moving to Galway, so he can have little complaint.

For me that was the big issue, that he never moved to Galway.

I'd be delighted with Rico as boss... I'm already looking forward to the programme notes! :)

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 1:06 PM
Good Luck to Tony. A little bit surprised that he got the bullet this early into the season. TonyD has a fair point in asking why he wasnt dropped at the end of last season, I know there would have been no complaints from the supporters........except for one supporter of course;-)

gilberto_eire
31/03/2008, 1:17 PM
Best of luck to Tony Cousins for the future. Thanks for your efforts with our club. For the record you leave having led the club on its longest ever winning sequence. Sorry it didn't work out in the Premier League.

That involved beating one decent team in an extremely poor 1st division(as it was last season when the 3rd place finisher moved near 20 points clear of the team in 4th position). We still only finished 3rd though, Trophys win respect not a poxy winning sequence against the likes of Monaghan/Kilkenny!

KBurke
31/03/2008, 1:23 PM

Look out for him in his new role as an expert analyist on MNS in the next few weeks. I mean if Connor can do it...

sniffa
31/03/2008, 1:28 PM
For me that was the big issue, that he never moved to Galway.

I'd be delighted with Rico as boss... I'm already looking forward to the programme notes! :)

And what if Rico gets the job and he doesn't move to Galway?

JC_GUFC
31/03/2008, 1:55 PM
He'll have the programme notes! ;)

gufcfan
31/03/2008, 2:17 PM
Hire all three.

Put them in a house.

And make a reality show.

I would pay good money to see that.

"I'm a gaffer, get me out of here!"

charliesboots
31/03/2008, 2:38 PM
Add in Connor and Stan and I might pay for it.

pól-dcfc
31/03/2008, 2:38 PM
MNS is going to be some craic tonight. Hopefully Rico is on to get grilled about it.

thischarmingman
31/03/2008, 2:40 PM
Hire all three.

Put them in a house.

And make a reality show.

Georgie Accent: Day 24. Damien and Roddy are having a conversation in the kitchen over a cup of tea....

Roddy: (whispering)...none for us at all. Look, if you can manage to distract him when Big Brother gives it to us, I'll try and hide some of it for us later. (desperation creeping into voice) I mean it's getting ridiculous, neither of us has eaten for days! We have one tea between the two of us!

Rico: "Nothing would be more tiresome than eating or drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity." That was Voltaire that was. Are you familiar with his work?

Roddy: Er...was he the skinny fella I signed at Carlisle?

Rico: Sssssshhhhhhhh!!!

(Rico and Roddy look down at the cup of tea. It is shaking. Distant thumps can be heard.)

Roddy: It-it-its...him! (Panic etched onto his face, he grabs hold of Rico's hand)

Pat: Hullo fellas, what you talking about.

Rico: (swallowing hard) I was just...that is...we were just-

Pat: That's not a Twix is it? (reaches for Rico's pocket and pulls out a Twix. Roddy stares accusingly at Rico.) It's not nice to be selfish, is it?

(Pat notices Roddy is still holding Rico's hand)

And is that a Milky Way in your pocket there Rodney?

Roddy: No...I...er...

(Pat reaches into Roddys trouser pocket and grabs something before his face changes to one of horror. He quickly withdraws his hand, wiping it on his waistcoat)

Pat: Er...ah...maybe not.

And with that, he turns and goes to the diary room. Roddy and Rico daren't look at one another.

To Be Continued...

Magicme
31/03/2008, 2:54 PM
Brilliant!

dcfcsteve
31/03/2008, 2:57 PM
Not true, AFAIK he only turned down Derry

Well that's one much bigger post anyway....

Dodge
31/03/2008, 3:04 PM
easy easy easy!

:D

gufcfan
31/03/2008, 3:52 PM
Nuacht TG4 will be doing a bit about the situation in their sports bulletin.

News starts at 7pm on TG4.

Anyone who isn't near a television can watch it on http://tg4.tv/ (http://tg4.tv/).

News will be archived up on there also, by lunchtime tomorrow.

charliesboots
31/03/2008, 4:20 PM
Nuacht TG4 will be doing a bit about the situation in their sports bulletin.

News starts at 7pm on TG4.

Anyone who isn't near a television can watch it on http://tg4.tv/ (http://tg4.tv/).

News will be archived up on there also, by lunchtime tomorrow.

This has been an infomercial by.....:D

Jerry The Saint
31/03/2008, 4:57 PM
Heres one for the statos

What do you think??????

I don't think anyone will top Dolan getting fired from Cork before the start of the season :D

To be fair, there is always more than football involved with Pat so 4 games is still quick for a manager to be fired for on-pitch reasons. Joe McGrath at Bohs only lasted a few games in his first season before getting the bullet. This decision led to the Rise of the Rod - if only Bohs had shown more patience :(

sligoman
31/03/2008, 4:58 PM
Has any manager been sacked quicker, I mean four games in must be a record.We sacked Rob McDonald after 1 competitive game...although admittedly he had no contract:D.

sonofstan
31/03/2008, 6:16 PM
Georgie Accent: Day 24. Damien and Roddy are having a conversation in the kitchen over a cup of tea....

To Be Continued...

Did you mean a Geordie accent?
Or do you want Georgie O'Callaghan to do the voiceovers? brilliant idea.... and POTM, BTW

JC_GUFC
31/03/2008, 6:30 PM
Well that's one much bigger post anyway....

Get a life. The only reason anyone ends up in Derry is for the Queen's shilling.

Part time club. Part time support.

You may have a better history but "The Professional Club" is the future.

pól-dcfc
31/03/2008, 7:12 PM
Get a life. The only reason anyone ends up in Derry is for the Queen's shilling.

We're full time.

And a much bigger club than Galway. I love Galway, and if I had to choose a second eL team it'd be them (FM2007 obssession to try and win the Champions league with them), but you are a ballbag.

Flexy
31/03/2008, 8:14 PM

From someone who supports a club thats won didly squit in the last 10 yrs and needed Nick Leeson to suck someone to get into the Premier Division. Dont make me laugh with your comment

pól-dcfc
31/03/2008, 8:20 PM
Nick Leeson to suck someone to get into the Premier Division.

I'd watch that.... I got a wee red card for calling someone a ballbag :(

Strangely enough it was off a GUFC supporting mod...

dortie
31/03/2008, 8:37 PM

Care to explain ? Especially coming from a Galway fan, total contradiction.

Paddyfield
31/03/2008, 8:52 PM
From someone who supports a club thats won didly squit in the last 10 yrs and needed Nick Leeson to suck someone to get into the Premier Division. Dont make me laugh with your comment

We wish we won didly squit. :o

Martinho II
31/03/2008, 8:59 PM
We sacked Rob McDonald after 1 competitive game...although admittedly he had no contract:D.

start of the 2002/03 season we sacked martin lawlor a DAY before our away game against Bray wanderers ..Alan matthews became caretaker manager for that game .. the rest was history..

beat that anyone???

Martinho II
31/03/2008, 9:00 PM
Look out for him in his new role as an expert analyist on MNS in the next few weeks. I mean if Connor can do it...

if there was a award for prediction of the season this is it after his debut tonight on mns..

priceless...:eek: