PDA

View Full Version : New nasty side to Derry?

Pages : [1] 2 3

GavinZac
22/03/2008, 7:03 PM
One thing I noted last night was the completely different tone than usual on the pitch between Cork and Derry. Normally the two teams tend to just go about the game of football but there seemed to be more bite in this one; for instance Lordan had to go off for a few minutes to get stitches, and Doherty squared up to our strikers a few times. When Derry grabbed their goal their right back (McCallion?) was only concerned with making gestures to the City fans and Doherty joined him in doing so at the final whistle. Perhaps mindful of the fact he had been booked for similar (less agressive) behaviour, O'Callaghan tried to get Doherty to stop that and ended up getting a slap for his troubles.

Not the worst, nothing like the Shelbourne of yore, but definitely a change. Who knows, perhaps its an element that has been missing for Derry recently and could contribute to more success. Some of the Derry fans I spoke to after the game called this "heart" rather than aggression.

alansmithccfc
22/03/2008, 7:15 PM
They stole a draw away from home. A good enough reason for Doherty to celebrate. Pity the sh have to trow a hiss fit for anything at all.

3 out of 3 games now where they booed. :rolleyes:

fanatic
22/03/2008, 7:44 PM
i think any team would have reacted in the same way, so new nasty side - no

OneRedArmy
22/03/2008, 7:45 PM
God forbid a team has the temerity to celebrate a 94th minute equaliser in the citadel that is Turners Cross.......

The presence of Georgie and his constant mouthing (and hand gestures to the away fans) probably had something to do with the edge.

I'd be more worried about Boring Boring Matthews if I was you. His defensive tactics when Cork were bossing the game resulted in you getting 1 point rather than 3.

dcfcsteve
22/03/2008, 8:16 PM
Nasty side ? As they'd say in Cork - cop on.

The only nasty side to those 22 players on the pitch was the presence of a convicted drink-driver. Now that's nasty....:o

DUFC4life
22/03/2008, 8:35 PM
O'Callaghan tried to get Doherty to stop that and ended up getting a slap for his troubles.

very hypacritical of the man making plenty of gestures towards drogheda fans last tuesday.

Aaron
22/03/2008, 8:37 PM
I dont know if anyone lip-read what Doherty was saying to O'Callaghan but I did, he was greeted with a "Go **** yourself"!!:D:D

A face
22/03/2008, 8:57 PM
Definte Shelbournesque tactics for Derry alright, but cant blame them the way the game was going for them at times. Its just a pity they dont concentrate on the football but there you go.

The elbow that Mooney got in the second was unreal, for a while i thought he wouldn't get up.

lofty9
22/03/2008, 9:10 PM
The elbow that Mooney got in the second was unreal, for a while i thought he wouldn't get up.

Is that when Mooney had to go off the pitch and happened in front of the shed?

A clash of heads with his own captain..:rolleyes: It would be nice if Derry had a nasty side, all too honest in my opinion.

OneRedArmy
22/03/2008, 9:19 PM
Definte Shelbournesque tactics for Derry alright, but cant blame them the way the game was going for them at times. Its just a pity they dont concentrate on the football but there you go.

The elbow that Mooney got in the second was unreal, for a while i thought he wouldn't get up.I thought we concentrated on the football fairly well.

Ain't 'dem apples bitter......

depor
22/03/2008, 9:31 PM
One thing I noted last night was the completely different tone than usual on the pitch between Cork and Derry. Normally the two teams tend to just go about the game of football but there seemed to be more bite in this one; for instance Lordan had to go off for a few minutes to get stitches, and Doherty squared up to our strikers a few times. When Derry grabbed their goal their right back (McCallion?) was only concerned with making gestures to the City fans and Doherty joined him in doing so at the final whistle. Perhaps mindful of the fact he had been booked for similar (less agressive) behaviour, O'Callaghan tried to get Doherty to stop that and ended up getting a slap for his troubles.

Not the worst, nothing like the Shelbourne of yore, but definitely a change. Who knows, perhaps its an element that has been missing for Derry recently and could contribute to more success. Some of the Derry fans I spoke to after the game called this "heart" rather than aggression.

classic city, did ya ever think its george as he has had scraps with endless players , managers and clubs for that matter.:D

headtheball
23/03/2008, 7:16 AM
I dont know if anyone lip-read what Doherty was saying to O'Callaghan but I did, he was greeted with a "Go **** yourself"!!:D:D

Thanks for translating Creggan CITD!!:p

Les Fluer
23/03/2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Shed End response to a team celebrating. If people like Gav and his "commandos" made more of an effort on trying to make an atmosphere and less about bitching about the bold opposition players, the Cross would be a happier place to go these days.

City fans are fantastically amazing whingers. If our own players did that in the Brady, or anywhere else for that amtter, we would be praising their sprit, their camaraderie etc. Nasty my ass. Get over yourself :rolleyes:

pete
23/03/2008, 11:39 AM
Nothing event. It is not like Doherty ran down in front of the shed to celebrate as he was 30-40 yards away. George O'Callaghan did it at Tolka & got booked & I did not hear Rovers fans complain.

GavinZac
23/03/2008, 11:53 AM
City fans are fantastically amazing whingers.

Wheres the whinging? It was an observation, and I mentioned it could just be a positive for them.

Is every thread with a brief mention of George O'Callaghan now destined to immediately descend into a discussion of his merits?

A face
23/03/2008, 12:11 PM
Wheres the whinging? It was an observation, and I mentioned it could just be a positive for them.

Is every thread with a brief mention of George O'Callaghan now destined to immediately descend into a discussion of his merits?

If he is in their heads it probably will.

LeixlipRed
23/03/2008, 12:53 PM
If he is in their heads it probably will.

Still using that line??? It's like I'm stuck in a time warp. Ooh, 2005, trippy :p

dcfcsteve
23/03/2008, 1:34 PM
This thread should be retitled "New petty side to Cork".

Except it wouldn't be new....

thischarmingman
23/03/2008, 1:57 PM
This thread should be retitled "New pretty side to Cork".

Except it wouldn't be new....

The first two times I read that, that's what I read.

I was getting rather worried about you, Steve.

GavinZac
23/03/2008, 2:18 PM
The first two times I read that, that's what I read.

I was getting rather worried about you, Steve.

Not least because the only thing 'new' is Dave Mooney who looks all of 15 :D

ndrog
23/03/2008, 3:32 PM

unbeliveable ! you have a hard neck .Boy george was giving the finger and the wnker sign to drogs fans last tues in turners cross .I also remember him runnig straight to us in utd pk after scoring , kissing the crest etc . But thats football , if you give it you gotta take it .And we all know george likes to take it dont we .

sullanefc
23/03/2008, 4:33 PM
unbeliveable ! you have a hard neck .Boy george was giving the finger and the wnker sign to drogs fans last tues in turners cross .I also remember him runnig straight to us in utd pk after scoring , kissing the crest etc . But thats football , if you give it you gotta take it .And we all know george likes to take it dont we .

Well considering that the Drogheda fans concentrated on slagging George off for 90 mins rather than support their team, I'm not surprised he gave ye the finger. But I don't condone it and he should probably have gotten a booking.

Also, the Derry keeper was a disgrace at the final whistle Friday night. Incited the crowd quite deliberately. Should also have been booked, but I don't think the ref saw it.

CameramanConka
23/03/2008, 4:46 PM
Well considering that the Drogheda fans concentrated on slagging George off for 90 mins rather than support their team, I'm not surprised he gave ye the finger. But I don't condone it and he should probably have gotten a booking.

Also, the Derry keeper was a disgrace at the final whistle Friday night. Incited the crowd quite deliberately. Should also have been booked, but I don't think the ref saw it.

Mother of fck. I bet those lovely people in the shed never said a bad word about anybody the whole night.

well played chaps. Tally ho! What!

sullanefc
23/03/2008, 4:50 PM
Mother of fck. I bet those lovely people in the shed never said a bad word about anybody the whole night.

well played chaps. Tally ho! What!

Banter is one thing. Being obsessed with a player on the other team is another. ;)

Pablo Escobar
23/03/2008, 5:08 PM
very hypacritical of the man making plenty of gestures towards drogheda fans last tuesday.
In fairness, his heart was in the right place with this one. He obviously remembers the last time a certain six toe goalkeeper did that. That was very scary for all involved.

A face
23/03/2008, 5:34 PM
Banter is one thing. Being obsessed with a player on the other team is another. ;)

It goes beyond obsession with some people though. Its actually kinda scary if you ask me.

Dodge
23/03/2008, 5:38 PM
It goes beyond obsession with some people though. Its actually kinda scary if you ask me.
Only because certain players in the league take every opportunity to goad opposition fans (GOC, Fabio, Jason Byrne being probably the 3 worst)

People who complain about the opposition celebrating (for whatever reason) are pathetic

GavinZac
23/03/2008, 5:43 PM
Only because certain players in the league take every opportunity to goad opposition fans (GOC, Fabio, Jason Byrne being probably the 3 worst)

People who complain about the opposition celebrating (for whatever reason) are pathetic

Have you not just contradicted yourself? :confused:

A face
23/03/2008, 5:46 PM

I think he has :)

GavinZac
23/03/2008, 6:03 PM
To clarify, I'm not complaining about the players that were just celebrating, and ran over to their fans in the end they scored. Granted, it looked a bit silly that they were acting as if they'd won the league when they'd stolen a point, but its understandable, its great to get those sort of results away, I'm sure I've done it. But what I did refer in terms of the "celebrating" to was the gestures from 2 players, the fighting after the final whistle and the right back acting the hard man in the warm down. The City fans spent 90 minutes supporting their team and the worst they gave to derry was a few ironic cheers when they (frequently) sliced the ball out of play. Why resort to the type of goading that Dan Connor, Gary Hamilton and John McDonnell (and as I'm sure someone will point out, Billy Woods!) made their reputation in Cork with?

Dodge
23/03/2008, 6:23 PM

Not at all. Goading = sticking fingers up, making gestures etc etc

Cosmo
23/03/2008, 6:26 PM

100% spot on - cork supporters are the worst in the league for that -dont know if theyre footaball supporters or ballet supporters. biggest shower of hypocritical whingers about :rolleyes:

Though I wouldnt have put fabio in the top 3 dodge - fabios alright :)

fanatic
23/03/2008, 6:36 PM
so depending on where you are on the pitch decides whether or not your allowed to celebrate a goal for you team ?

come on, get over it

Cosmo
23/03/2008, 6:41 PM
so depending on where you are on the pitch decides whether or not your allowed to celebrate a goal for you team ?

come on, get over it

No - its whether or not you play for cork for the cry babies

thischarmingman
23/03/2008, 6:54 PM
100% spot on - cork supporters are the worst in the league for that -dont know if theyre footaball supporters or ballet supporters.

Are ballet supporters known for their moaning? :p

"Yooouuur not daaaaanciiing aaaanymore...."

GavinZac
23/03/2008, 7:33 PM

come on, get over it

ugh. Why don't people read the entire thread?

Look, George O'Callaghan was booked fagainst rovers for celebrating a goal at the end he scored it, so apparently, no, you're not.

But thats not what I was talking about, I was talking about the kind of goading/gestures Dodge was describing, which is what was going on the other night. Predictably, Dodge will not take a Cork person's word that this is what happened, for whatever reason.

dcfcsteve
24/03/2008, 12:14 AM
To clarify, I'm not complaining about the players that were just celebrating, and ran over to their fans in the end they scored. Granted, it looked a bit silly that they were acting as if they'd won the league when they'd stolen a point, but its understandable, its great to get those sort of results away, I'm sure I've done it. But what I did refer in terms of the "celebrating" to was the gestures from 2 players, the fighting after the final whistle and the right back acting the hard man in the warm down. The City fans spent 90 minutes supporting their team and the worst they gave to derry was a few ironic cheers when they (frequently) sliced the ball out of play. Why resort to the type of goading that Dan Connor, Gary Hamilton and John McDonnell (and as I'm sure someone will point out, Billy Woods!) made their reputation in Cork with?

Move on GZ, move on....

twowheelsonly
24/03/2008, 12:44 AM
Rather than celebrate his team scoring in any sort of normal manner McCallion choose to do so by giving 2 fingers to the shed end. This was without any sort of intimidation/abuse/slagging/winding up of him or any Derry players all night. Certainly nothing of any nature that could be in any manner considered inflamatory.
Doherty at the final whistle turned to the crowd at that end as well and started roaring and gesturing at the crowd in a highly aggressive manner. His behaviour was an absolute disgrace and if spotted by the ref, or any ref in any league in the world, would have been a guaranteed yellow card.
Cork/Derry games have almost always been tough but fair and enjoyable contests with a grudging respect and admiration for each other both on and off the pitch. I think Mr Dohertys' behaviour, in particular, might just have changed that.
BTW, Anybody on here who had witnessed this would have reacted in the exact same way. He stepped waaaayyy over the line.

On the same subject, well known 'flair players' or 'noticable players' such as GOC always get abuse away from home (exception Paddy McCourt for some reason???). While GOC does react in certain ways I've never seen him do it in an aggressive manner. Each has their own way of answering back, from keepers giving a discreet flash of their arse to the little smile, kissing the crest or hand up to the ear if they score. It's part of football and always will be.

sfc red
24/03/2008, 2:04 AM
exception Paddy McCourt for some reason

It's called respect.

Pablo Escobar
24/03/2008, 8:45 AM
I think anybody who defends what happened is an idiot. I saw it, and while it doesn't really bother me personally, I saw it as a very dangerous act. As I touched on above, Dan Connor being taken out an unknown entrance at the cross for doing the same is a prime example. There's been plenty of players celebrating infront of the Shed (GOC style) and I think people in general don't have a problem with that, e.g. Ollie Cahill. They may get abuse at the time, but Ollie got some playful banter and some applause last week. This was different though and cannot be defended.
BTW I wouldn't back-up one of my players if they reacted that way in another ground, I expect it from Drogs, but a Pats fan?

OneRedArmy
24/03/2008, 10:52 AM
So let me get this right, two Derry players taunted the crowd when we equalised, and thats okay, but Georgie taunting the away crowd is fair game? (I don't care if you didn't see it, we did as it was right in front of us)

Clearly Cork logic.

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 11:09 AM
So let me get this right, two Derry players taunted the crowd when we equalised, and thats okay, but Georgie taunting the away crowd is fair game? (I don't care if you didn't see it, we did as it was right in front of us)

Clearly Cork logic.

No, thats not alright. When did I say it was? George can be a prat. He gets the stick he deserves for it.

Mind you, its exactly what he's looking for. There's nothing would cheer up Georgie more after that night than the sight of Derry fans going to their bus singing "George O'Callaghan drinks and drives" when they could be celebrating their own team.

Aaron
24/03/2008, 11:54 AM
Rather than celebrate his team scoring in any sort of normal manner McCallion choose to do so by giving 2 fingers to the shed end. This was without any sort of intimidation/abuse/slagging/winding up of him or any Derry players all night. Certainly nothing of any nature that could be in any manner considered inflamatory.
Doherty at the final whistle turned to the crowd at that end as well and started roaring and gesturing at the crowd in a highly aggressive manner. His behaviour was an absolute disgrace and if spotted by the ref, or any ref in any league in the world, would have been a guaranteed yellow card.
Cork/Derry games have almost always been tough but fair and enjoyable contests with a grudging respect and admiration for each other both on and off the pitch. I think Mr Dohertys' behaviour, in particular, might just have changed that.
BTW, Anybody on here who had witnessed this would have reacted in the exact same way. He stepped waaaayyy over the line.

On the same subject, well known 'flair players' or 'noticable players' such as GOC always get abuse away from home (exception Paddy McCourt for some reason???). While GOC does react in certain ways I've never seen him do it in an aggressive manner. Each has their own way of answering back, from keepers giving a discreet flash of their arse to the little smile, kissing the crest or hand up to the ear if they score. It's part of football and always will be.

Thats because Paddy dosnt act the **** on the pitch, GO'C isnt fit to lace Paddy McCourt's boots. Some crying done by the langers.:rolleyes:

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 11:56 AM
Thats because Paddy dosnt act the **** on the pitch, GO'C isnt fit to lace Paddy McCourt's boots. Some crying done by the langers.:rolleyes:

How many times has Paddy McCourt seen 90 minutes of football against Cork City?

twowheelsonly
24/03/2008, 12:09 PM

Clearly Cork logic.

Let me help you to get this right.....

Two Derry players abused the crowd in an extremely provocative and possibly dangerous manner....
Georgie taunted the Derry crowd - read the thread, not a single post mentions that it's 'fair game'.

We all know he does it, we never said it was right but it does happen. In fairness to Georgie it's usually in response to being taunted himself, you know that and we know that. Gazza did it, Rooney does it. Cantona did it in the extreme. Some players seem to feel obliged to react while others can ignore it like water off a ducks back.
Doherty on the other hand, or any other Derry player, had received no provocation whatsoever and was perceived as being unsporting in the extreme IMO.
McCallion, to his credit, was an instantaneous reaction, seemed to realise what he had done and left it go. I don't think anybody really had a problem with him.

OneRedArmy
24/03/2008, 12:41 PM
Let me help you to get this right.....

Two Derry players abused the crowd in an extremely provocative and possibly dangerous manner....
Georgie taunted the Derry crowd - read the thread, not a single post mentions that it's 'fair game'.
You're going to have to help me further by differentiating between abusing and taunting.

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 12:56 PM
You're going to have to help me further by differentiating between abusing and taunting.

Are you Paddy McCourt yourself? Nice sidestep.

pól-dcfc
24/03/2008, 1:03 PM

Taunting is playful banter, whereas abuse, thats with malicious intent.

Bloody whinging ****ies. If you can't take it don't dish it out, and to say the Shed End didn't give Gerard or Eddie any stick on Friday is absolutely ridiculous.

Paddy doesn't get gip because he plays in the spirit of the game, and doesn't deliberately go out to wind the opposition and their fans up.

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 1:19 PM
to say the Shed End didn't give Gerard or Eddie any stick on Friday is absolutely ridiculous.

Enlighten us?

Aaron
24/03/2008, 1:24 PM
How many times has Paddy McCourt seen 90 minutes of football against Cork City?

Whats that got to do with anything?