PDA

View Full Version : New nasty side to Derry?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

twowheelsonly
24/03/2008, 1:37 PM
Taunting is playful banter, whereas abuse, thats with malicious intent.

Bloody whinging ****ies. If you can't take it don't dish it out, and to say the Shed End didn't give Gerard or Eddie any stick on Friday is absolutely ridiculous.

Paddy doesn't get gip because he plays in the spirit of the game, and doesn't deliberately go out to wind the opposition and their fans up.

Thank You. Anything thrown at either player was in the spirit of banter and could be considered banter. What Doherty threw back was nothing less than abuse. It's a regular thing for the banter and taunting to work both ways, hence we don't make a point of 'whinging' (or winning!:o)every week. Abuse is a different story, can't you at least concede that???

Paddy doesn't get gip because he doesn't react so there's no fun in it. same reason opposition fans don't abuse Neil Horgan or Mick Devine etc to the same degree as Georgie. Simple as.

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 2:03 PM
Whats that got to do with anything?

For a player who apparently so obviously outshines GOC, he has an awful habit of being subbed or dropped against Cork City, the games where I get to watch him. Completely ineffectual again the other night and Derry didn't look dangerous until he was taken off.

Bucky-O'Hare
24/03/2008, 2:08 PM
Can't believe that there's a 3 page thread about this but anyway; I assumed that Gerard must have been getting some sort of stick by the Cork fans behind him. If it was completely unprovoked then it was out of order and not within the spirit of the game but FFS get over it!!

dcfcsteve
24/03/2008, 2:16 PM
Mind you, its exactly what he's looking for. There's nothing would cheer up Georgie more after that night than the sight of Derry fans going to their bus singing "George O'Callaghan drinks and drives" when they could be celebrating their own team.

Course it is. I'm sure Georgie loves being reminded on national television that he's a convicted criminal of a rather heinous and shameful variety.... :o

You need to lie down Gavin - you're winding yourself into an illogical frenzy here now.

*Sigh*. I guess it was only a matter of time before the famous Cork whinging got directed at Derry fans, as well as the rest of the world....

Bucky-O'Hare
24/03/2008, 2:22 PM
I can't belive there's Derry one's slagging people from another city about whinging. It's our speciality ;)

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 2:23 PM
Course it is. I'm sure Georgie loves being reminded on national television that he's a convicted criminal of a rather heinous and shameful variety.... :o You need to lie down Gavin - you're winding yourself into an illogical frenzy here now.I'm at a loss to be honest. Either I'm lying or George himself is lying when he has said as much so pick one because you seem pretty fixed in your viewpoint.

*Sigh*. I guess it was only a matter of time before the famous Cork whinging got directed at Derry fans, as well as the rest of the world....fans?

OneRedArmy
24/03/2008, 2:25 PM
Thank You. Anything thrown at either player was in the spirit of banter and could be considered banter. What Doherty threw back was nothing less than abuse. It's a regular thing for the banter and taunting to work both ways, hence we don't make a point of 'whinging' (or winning!:o)every week. Abuse is a different story, can't you at least concede that???Ridiculously subjective assessment.

From what I can see its banter when a Cork player does it but its abuse when a Derry player does it.

And no, I can't concede anything, presumably because I lack the ability to spilt hairs that you clearly possess.

Let me re-iterate, Georgie gives the fingers to Derry fans after Cork score right in front of us (thats banter, according to you).

Eddie and Doherty do something similar in front of the Shed and thats abuse.....

You seriously have a warped sense of morality if you can differentiate between those two actions.

But you're a Cork fan, so nothing surprises me....

dcfcsteve
24/03/2008, 5:36 PM
I'm at a loss to be honest. Either I'm lying or George himself is lying when he has said as much so pick one because you seem pretty fixed in your viewpoint.

Fair point. I mean - who could accuse a convicted drink-driver of something as basic as lying...

:ball:

Cosmo
24/03/2008, 5:41 PM
Coek fans are no worse than any other fans in the league for giving out about oppossotion players celebrating.

Yes they are - seriously yourself and the rest of your lot are embarrassing yourselves on here. I can safely say that when we abuse a player we know whats coming when he scores against us, then we give more for it :D - (though we wouldnt throw a broken vodka bottle at it for it like the cork fans did to dan connor)- but we'd would always hold our hands up and say among ourselves straigth away that we deserve it. If ye cant take it, dont give it ye big cry baby

btw joey go to drogs forum even last week when the conicted drink driver was giving us the fingers and the w@nker sign for the whole 2nd half - every drog on our mb has no problem with it cos of the abuse he got for the whole match

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 6:01 PM
throw a broken vodka bottle at it for it like the cork fans didIt took all of us to throw it, did it? God only knows how Connors survived.

btw joey go to drogs forum even last week when the conicted drink driver was giving us the fingers and the w@nker sign for the whole 2nd half - every drog on our mb has no problem with it cos of the abuse he got for the whole matchAnd if we'd been abusing Doherty or McCallion all match it wouldn't have been so strange (the point of this damn thread) to see them do it.

twowheelsonly
24/03/2008, 8:54 PM
Ridiculously subjective assessment.

From what I can see its banter when a Cork player does it but its abuse when a Derry player does it.

And no, I can't concede anything, presumably because I lack the ability to spilt hairs that you clearly possess.

Let me re-iterate, Georgie gives the fingers to Derry fans after Cork score right in front of us (thats banter, according to you).

Eddie and Doherty do something similar in front of the Shed and thats abuse.....

You seriously have a warped sense of morality if you can differentiate between those two actions.

But you're a Cork fan, so nothing surprises me....

First time that's been mentioned. If it's true (and I have no reason to believe that it's not) then yes Georgie deserves to be abused and villified, as I and other Cork fans on here have already stated and readily understand. BTW, just looked at the video there again and if that did happen then it must have been the quickest flick of the fingers ever cos GOC took off after Mooney immediately and ended up at the far end of the pitch with him. A little different to jumping up and down screaming and gesturing at opposition fans methinks.

Now explain to me again the justification for Doherty and McCallions actions.

As another poster stated, if it had been ongoing for the whole game then this thread would never exist.

Risteard
24/03/2008, 10:32 PM
What did Doherty actually do?
Celebrate or make gestures or what.
It seems to me that it was a very low notch on the scale of inciting fans.

I don't see the problem. Unless he actually slapped George . . . . then he should be suspended.
Mere winding up of opposition has more to do with respect than the rules of the game. However, If you get caught up in that charade, you're taking other risks. George talks **** in papers about clubs etc so he gets taken out off the ball and gets oppositions fans attentions for the full 90 minutes. Dan Connor spent years goading the shed and ended up getting a glass bottle thrown at him.

It's the costs of being a *****.

DmanDmythDledge
25/03/2008, 12:10 AM
Turned and faced the Shed after the final whistle with his arms raised in celebration. Sarcastically applauded them when being jeered going in the tunnel as well.

Candystripe
25/03/2008, 2:36 AM
Rather than celebrate his team scoring in any sort of normal manner McCallion choose to do so by giving 2 fingers to the shed end. This was without any sort of intimidation/abuse/slagging/winding up of him or any Derry players all night. Certainly nothing of any nature that could be in any manner considered inflamatory.

"Whats it like to have a queen"

Now if you think that wasn't provoking the Derry players then you need to read your history books.

FFS we had to listen to that chit in Windsor pk. Didn't expect it in the so called "rebel county"

dancinpants
25/03/2008, 4:02 AM
Agree with Candystripe. Its "OK" for Cork fans to sing a politically sensitive tune to a team that have ALOT of local players, but God forbid someone punches the air and gives them....wait for it...oooooh noooo TWO FINGERS. Poor little Corkies, how offensive is that??? Hope you get some medication for the PTSD.

You wanna talk about provocation? Walk through the Bogside singing yer wee "Queen" ditty and then you'll find out the real meaning of inciting a "dangerous situation" through provocation.

"Rebel" County? Yer havin' a laugh. :rolleyes:

OneRedArmy
25/03/2008, 6:57 AM
First time that's been mentioned. .No, it was mentioned, by me, on previous pages.
If it's true (and I have no reason to believe that it's not) then yes Georgie deserves to be abused and villified, as I and other Cork fans on here have already stated and readily understand. .Yes he does.

BTW, just looked at the video there again and if that did happen then it must have been the quickest flick of the fingers ever cos GOC took off after Mooney immediately and ended up at the far end of the pitch with him. A little different to jumping up and down screaming and gesturing at opposition fans methinks..Make up your mind, you just said you've no reason to to believe that it didn't happen. I'll take what I and the rest of the Derry fans say over what you didn't see on the TV.

Now explain to me again the justification for Doherty and McCallions actions.
No idea. That wasn't my point. My point was there's no difference between what Georgie did and they did, except for the fact Cork were at home and they did it at the end of the game.

As another poster stated, if it had been ongoing for the whole game then this thread would never exist.Some Cork fans were p*ssed off they conceded a 94th minute equaliser (which is fair enough, I would be too) and thats why this thread exists.

razor
25/03/2008, 8:12 AM
Some Cork fans were p*ssed off they conceded a 94th minute equaliser Some? I'd say all to be honest.
Walked out at full time, sick, left the Derry players to celebrate.
If everyone had done the same then they'd have had no one to goad.
Its all give and take.

OneRedArmy
25/03/2008, 8:16 AM
Some? I'd say all to be honest.
Walked out at full time, sick, left the Derry players to celebrate.
If everyone had done the same then they'd have had no one to goad.
Its all give and take.Spot on.

We've had it happen to us and the opposition fans and players celebrating turns your stomach.

But thats football.

dcfcsteve
25/03/2008, 8:57 AM
Turned and faced the Shed after the final whistle with his arms raised in celebration. Sarcastically applauded them when being jeered going in the tunnel as well.

My God - that's shocking behaviour ! Bring back hanging.......!

:o

a.a.d
25/03/2008, 9:35 AM
My God - that's shocking behaviour ! Bring back hanging.......!

:o

Come on now steve, even you should know that they don't do that in Cork . They ambush you and shoot you in the back, they don't hang you.:p:p

ndrog
25/03/2008, 10:55 AM
Celebrate or make gestures or what.
It seems to me that it was a very low notch on the scale of inciting fans.

I don't see the problem. Unless he actually slapped George . . . . then he should be suspended.
Mere winding up of opposition has more to do with respect than the rules of the game. However, If you get caught up in that charade, you're taking other risks. George talks **** in papers about clubs etc so he gets taken out off the ball and gets oppositions fans attentions for the full 90 minutes. Dan Connor spent years goading the shed and ended up getting a glass bottle thrown at him.

It's the costs of being a *****.

So by this logic we are entitled to throw vodka bottles at boy george in utd pk next time we play the langers ? And theres a reason boy george gets the attention of opposition fans , if you go around doing interviews on local radio stations saying " I would have went to Drogheda but i havent got enough fingers or toes " your gonna get lots of attention . He has actually created a potentialy dangerous situation with comments like that .But i suppose we shouldnt be in any way surprised by this .Convicted drink drivers are never the smartest of people . I wonder if boy george knows about the sellafield connection to his toes comments .NASTY .

GavinZac
25/03/2008, 11:30 AM

:rolleyes: watching on the telly were we?

I wonder if boy george knows about the sellafield connection to his toes comments .NASTY .
Do you not understand the difference between the effects of inbreeding and radioactive poisoning. Christ you'd swear Drogheda was in Belrus the way ye go on

razor
25/03/2008, 11:48 AM
Christ you'd swear Drogheda was in Belrus the way ye go onWe'll have to give Adi Roche a shout.

Aaron
25/03/2008, 12:17 PM
I remember 3 seasons ago we had just beaten Shels 2-0 at the Brandywell, and Pat Fenlon was down applauding the Shels fans, he walked up along the Southend Stand and goaded the fans, he gave as good as he got. Did you see any Derry fan on here crying about it, no, so change the record FFS!!!!

DmanDmythDledge
25/03/2008, 12:23 PM
:rolleyes: watching on the telly were we?
No, I was there.

Celdrog
25/03/2008, 12:36 PM
Do you not understand the difference between the effects of inbreeding and radioactive poisoning. Christ you'd swear Drogheda was in Belrus the way ye go on
So therefore you are saying that a professional footballer representing a professional club (George O'Callaghan) said on RedFm that Drogheda people are in-bred and he finds that hilarious?
Ask him to be brave and say that on LMFM or on RTE and see where it gets him.

And you whinge about someone celebrating a goal against you:rolleyes:

twowheelsonly
25/03/2008, 12:44 PM
I remember 3 seasons ago we had just beaten Shels 2-0 at the Brandywell, and Pat Fenlon was down applauding the Shels fans, he walked up along the Southend Stand and goaded the fans, he gave as good as he got. Did you see any Derry fan on here crying about it, no, so change the record FFS!!!!

And I'll bet you what you like that he was getting it first before he threw it back . Regular occurence at all grounds (Especially with that Poison Dwarf:D)
and nobody really takes any notice, it's more or less accepted by everyone. Doesn't make it right but it is part of the game.

Trust me CTID that this was in a different category.
If one of our players (OK so, THAT player:rolleyes:)) had done the same thing we would be the first to call him a plucking clanger.

twowheelsonly
25/03/2008, 12:48 PM
So therefore you are saying that a professional footballer representing a professional club (George O'Callaghan) said on RedFm that Drogheda people are in-bred and he finds that hilarious?
Ask him to be brave and say that on LMFM or on RTE and see where it gets him.

And you whinge about someone celebrating a goal against you:rolleyes:

No, we whinge about getting ott 'in your face' abuse from a professional footballer representing a professional club. And it was after the final whistle.

twowheelsonly
25/03/2008, 12:56 PM
Yes they are - seriously yourself and the rest of your lot are embarrassing yourselves on here. I can safely say that when we abuse a player we know whats coming when he scores against us, then we give more for it :D - (though we wouldnt throw a broken vodka bottle at it for it like the cork fans did to dan connor)- but we'd would always hold our hands up and say among ourselves straigth away that we deserve it. If ye cant take it, dont give it ye big cry baby

btw joey go to drogs forum even last week when the conicted drink driver was giving us the fingers and the w@nker sign for the whole 2nd half - every drog on our mb has no problem with it cos of the abuse he got for the whole match

And generally speaking we're all the same in that regard, give it-take it end of story. (The Vodka was for Georgie BTW,)

CameramanConka
25/03/2008, 1:26 PM
So I take it all the fans offended by Gerard Doherty's actions will not be returning to any LOI games in the future in fear of their little feelings being hurt. Jesus Christ boys, grow a pair of balls ffs.

WoodquayBoy
25/03/2008, 2:55 PM

The bloody cheek, he should be banned for the season so. Good lord God, this has stretched to 5 pages now, and yes, I know, its because ofmpeople like me posting is part of the seaosn, but lads, give it a rest and save your vitriol for those who deserve it.
Like Sligo.

Mr A
25/03/2008, 3:01 PM
Good to see the old Cork-Derry love in has finally come to an end. A healthy step for both clubs.

Hitman
25/03/2008, 3:06 PM
I must say I'm devestated to be back in work today having attended the game, when I could have taken the week off due to post-traumatic stress.

ndrog
25/03/2008, 3:07 PM
" Do you not understand the difference between the effects of inbreeding and radioactive poisoning. Christ you'd swear Drogheda was in Belrus the way ye go on "

Listen pal you are bordering on offensive now , and im well aware of the difference of inbreeding and radioactive poisoning thanks . Radioactive poisoning causes cancer which there is a very high rate of in Louth . Not to sure what the effects of inbreeding are tbh ,but you langers seem to be experts on the matter , you wanna enlighten us then ? So your telling me that its ok for a professional footballer who represents CCFC to call people 6 toes on a local radio station ? The double standards of you lot amazes me .If it was any other player from another club youd be piissing yourselves .

sligoman
25/03/2008, 3:21 PM
Christ you'd swear Drogheda was in Belrus the way ye go onBelrus? Where's that?:confused:

Celdrog
25/03/2008, 4:12 PM
Belrus? Where's that?:confused:Probably where our CL trip will be this year:mad:

GavinZac
25/03/2008, 4:57 PM
Belrus? Where's that?:confused:

You'll get to know these places if you ever have to participate in a UEFA draw.

Look, for crying out loud:

I did not say Derry are/were the worst for this
I did not say they were all that particular bad
I did not say Cork City or anyone else would be above such
I did not say it was a bad thing over all
I did not invite anyone to discuss the merits of George O'Callaghan and his love of getting reactions

However I did:

Point out a few things that happened at the game
Noted they were different from my past experiences, and that they would hardly be notable if it were the like of Drogheda or Shelbourne but were "new" coming from Derry
Invite the readers to discuss possible effects this could have on Derry's performance this year

Now for christs sake, drop the ridiculous rounding upon all things Cork that seems to be the pastime of various ignorami on this board, and take the thread at face value.

thischarmingman
25/03/2008, 5:10 PM
:rolleyes:

Bucky-O'Hare
25/03/2008, 5:24 PM
So lets get this straight. The Cork fans have come on here complaining about entirely uprovoked gestures from 2 Derry players. I took that at face value as I had no reason no to believe them.
On the Derry City fans forum there was a thread paying tribue to the fans who travelled down and that they were a credit to themselves for not rising to the 'lizzie' remarks. I didnt catch on to what they were talking about. But as this thread goes on I now know that Cork fans were in fact chanting, "whats it like to have a queen". If this was chanted then I think that eddie and gerard (both local) showed remarkable restraint!! How dare you's come on here complaining about that when your fans where singing about us having a queen! Pathetic!!!

GavinZac
25/03/2008, 5:35 PM
So lets get this straight. The Cork fans have come on here complaining about entirely uprovoked gestures from 2 Derry players. I took that at face value as I had no reason no to believe them.
On the Derry City fans forum there was a thread paying tribue to the fans who travelled down and that they were a credit to themselves for not rising to the 'lizzie' remarks. I didnt catch on to what they were talking about. But as this thread goes on I now know that Cork fans were in fact chanting, "whats it like to have a queen". If this was chanted then I think that eddie and gerard (both local) showed remarkable restraint!! How dare you's come on here complaining about that when your fans where singing about us having a queen! Pathetic!!!

When did this happen? I know we sang that for years, as long as I've been going to games, but its generally been supplanted along with the racist and republican songs that would've been part of our repertoire a decade ago. If it was in the ground it certainly wasn't at length or by very many people, indeed apart from a few "olé ola's" and "carefree"'s we didnt do all that much singing at all - and I know this because I was stood between our two drummers.

And again, I wasn't complaining about the different attitude in Derry's camp. I was remarking upon it and asking of its effects.

jebus
25/03/2008, 5:44 PM
Wow is the first thing that springs to mind about this thread, to clarify what I think has happened here (it's gone so many places I doubt Odysseus himself could unravel it) is

Gavin came over a bit Arsene Wenger when describing Derry's tactics/antics

Some Cork fans have come over a bit Everton/Liverpool (give a team abuse and start crying when an opposing player says boo to them after scoring)

People in general have lost the plot

All I can say is that it's shameful for all concerned that I am a voice of reason in a thread :p

Bucky-O'Hare
25/03/2008, 5:51 PM
I wasnt there so I dont know. All I know is that it was mentioned once on saturday on the derry city fans forum and I didn't catch on as to what they were talking about and then I read about it on this thread. I must say that I found it strange to hear that Eddie McCallion was gesturing to fans, as I haven't seen it before. Obviously Gerard Doherty is a new signing so I wouldn't know what he's like. If that was being chanted then I can understand their anger because that drives me mad!

GavinZac
25/03/2008, 5:57 PM
Wow is the first thing that springs to mind about this thread, to clarify what I think has happened here (it's gone so many places I doubt Odysseus himself could unravel it) is
Its just a pity that the first answer wasn't "yeah, Derry seem to have a bit more bite about them and that is partly what they've been missing in the recent past and could be the final part of the puzzle for them to get back to the top" or "nah, while they seem to have a good bit more team spirit they just don't have the quality. they might cause a few upsets but i cant see them being there or there abouts" or even "they didn't seem that much nastier to me Gav. I guess there really is a fine line between 'heart' and 'nastiness'."

Instead the first response was some clown who sits at the other side of the ground and whose main concern with Cork City appears to be, regardless of the forum or the topic, denigrating the vocal supporters for whatever reasons he can. What of course followed was the usual sniping and cheap shots that characterise the eircom league forum these days no matter what the topic is.

jebus
25/03/2008, 6:09 PM
Gavin you had a pop at Derry after they (apparantly, I wasn't there, don't know) nicked a point at Turner's Cross, in classic Wenger/Ferguson style when they feel that a team has kicked their footballing team around the park. You compared them unfavourably to Shelbourne (even if you said they weren't as bad as Shels), said that they usually concentrate on football when they play Cork (sideways comment suggesting that they didn't this time) and commented on their players on-field antics (not just the goal celebrations) in your first post. You may not view it as you having a go, but I'm sure the Derry fans would, and so there was always going to be a backlash. Granted that backlash has gone on a bit too long, but it was to be expected, so it probably should be left at you were disappointed at Cork drawing yet again, and Derry probably reacted a bit too much to your disappointment

GavinZac
25/03/2008, 6:29 PM
Gavin you had a pop at Derry after they (apparantly, I wasn't there, don't know) nicked a point at Turner's Cross, in classic Wenger/Ferguson style when they feel that a team has kicked their footballing team around the park. You compared them unfavourably to Shelbourne (even if you said they weren't as bad as Shels), said that they usually concentrate on football when they play Cork (sideways comment suggesting that they didn't this time) and commented on their players on-field antics (not just the goal celebrations) in your first post. You may not view it as you having a go, but I'm sure the Derry fans would, and so there was always going to be a backlash. Granted that backlash has gone on a bit too long, but it was to be expected, so it probably should be left at you were disappointed at Cork drawing yet again, and Derry probably reacted a bit too much to your disappointment
Ah c'mere this doesn't suit you at all. Roll your eyes at me :p ;)

thischarmingman
25/03/2008, 6:43 PM
If this was chanted then I think that eddie and gerard (both local) showed remarkable restraint!! How dare you's come on here complaining about that when your fans where singing about us having a queen! Pathetic!!!

Awk get over it! You must have a pretty thin skin if that chant gets to you. I presume you don't get to many away matches then? It's just banter, if you can't deal with that particular chant you should start following another sport.

Far too many people seem to go out of their way to get offended these days.

Risteard
25/03/2008, 8:53 PM
So by this logic we are entitled to throw vodka bottles at boy george in utd pk next time we play Cork City FC? And theres a reason boy george gets the attention of opposition fans , if you go around doing interviews on local radio stations saying " I would have went to Drogheda but i havent got enough fingers or toes " your gonna get lots of attention . He has actually created a potentialy dangerous situation with comments like that .But i suppose we shouldnt be in any way surprised by this .Convicted drink drivers are never the smartest of people . I wonder if boy george knows about the sellafield connection to his toes comments .NASTY .

Stop!
You're going to break the internet.

Just lucky you quoted my post in yours so my response is already there (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=904468&postcount=76). There's a difference between something being justified and it being likely to happen.

dcfcsteve
26/03/2008, 12:38 AM
Belrus? Where's that?:confused:

Is Belrus a bit like a Walrus......? :confused:

Rovers fan
26/03/2008, 12:40 AM
Is Belrus a bit like a Walrus......? :confused:

its a belgian walrus

Candystripe
26/03/2008, 3:35 AM
Don't get me started! If you give ..........expect to take it.

I'm really p!!ssed of with the "whats it like to have a queen" song when we're in cork.

Rub it feckin up ye's