PDA

View Full Version : St. Pats V Rovers - Game 1 (3-1)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

feo123
02/03/2008, 4:06 PM
Can't wait for the season to start, a very tough opener but you never know what could happen. we all went to galway last season for the first came thinking the worst and we got a good win. it'll be much tougher friday night but no reason why we cant get a result it the lads stand up and give their best. imo st. pats have maybe strengtened their squad better than any other club, o'cearuill is an u21 international, and have another 5 new signings, they'll be looking to impress the home crowd. they usually start well in a season and fade away, lets hope they dont start just as good this year. id be thrilled with a point personally.
will be interesting to see wheteher we go with jennings or brush for a start, id go with brushy myself but that probably because we know him and know he's reliable enough in the nets.
back four id imagine could be murphy or raff right back, butler left back and mckenzie with almeida in the middle, i think butler had a knock during the week in training.
midfield cash, murphy ir raff on the right depending on who plays right back really, ogrady and id say moore or boco in the middle, doherty on the left and then faz alongside either judge or boco
a big pity the 3 lads are suspended, 2 of our best players included in that, and ventre would possibly be starting aswell.

i'll go with 1-1 with doherty to score :cool:

forza rovers
02/03/2008, 4:17 PM
2-0(anto,boco) to score

deecay
02/03/2008, 4:23 PM
Id put Feeney centre half instead of Almeida and have O Grady in a very defensive role,Brush no.1 and Faz and Rommy up top.Wherever Anto is he will be well up for it

feo123
02/03/2008, 4:39 PM
Id put Feeney centre half instead of Almeida and have O Grady in a very defensive role,Brush no.1 and Faz and Rommy up top.Wherever Anto is he will be well up for it

i just think judgy has so much football in him i wouldnt leave him out. he created alot last night scored a top class goal aswell, even his finish against harps was brilliant, for the dissalowed goal.
i think he gets too much stick from some sections

sligoman
02/03/2008, 5:06 PM
Brush

Bulter
Almeida
McKenzie
Murphy

Doherty
O'Grady
Moore
Cretaro

Judge
Boco

Cash to make impact as a sub, 2-2 draw.

Red&White Rover
02/03/2008, 5:21 PM
I have a feeling we're gonna shock a few people in this match. I could see us sneaking away with a win against an un suspecting Pats team, but a draw is more likely.

1-0 or 1-1.

feo123
02/03/2008, 5:22 PM
Brush

Bulter
Almeida
McKenzie
Murphy

Doherty
O'Grady
Moore
Cretaro

Judge
Boco

you'll have to get over this faz thing

sligoman
02/03/2008, 5:26 PM
you'll have to get over this faz thingDo I? He hasn't impressed in pre-season imo and also, he doesn't want to be here. Besides I think himself and Boco are similar enough so no point having 2 of the same, Judge is different so he can work better with Boco, who looks a lot better than Faz.

feo123
02/03/2008, 5:27 PM
Do I? He hasn't impressed in pre-season imo and also, he doesn't want to be here. Besides I think himself and Boco are similar enough so no point having 2 of the same, Judge is different so he can work better with Boco, who looks a lot better than Faz.

faz is still one of our best players no matter what went on in the off season

sligoman
02/03/2008, 5:30 PM
faz is still one of our best players no matter what went on in the off seasonWe'll see;).

feo123
02/03/2008, 5:38 PM
We'll see;).

yeah, we will!

Red&White Rover
02/03/2008, 5:42 PM
Whatever about people not liking Faz, i reckon Judge would work better along side Boco up front, than Faz.

Rovers fan
02/03/2008, 5:48 PM
feck it lads stick the three of them in together, with ogrady in a defensive midfield role. I'd be fairly sure that the team which started against athlone will start against pats cos seamie,peers and ventre weren't on the bench. I'd rather have butler and brush in there if they are fit and if brush is fit he will start cos cookie said it at the Q&A a few weeks ago.

I can't wait for this game though.I dunno how we will do but I'd be delighted with a draw, lads we have improved greatly but pats do have an excellent team and we will miss peers and coleman badly. Prediction: 1-1 draw, faz to equalize in the 62nd minute!!

Only1Rovers
02/03/2008, 6:20 PM
Boco and Judgy seemed to suit each other when moving the ball into the box.

Some neat close foot work look impressive.

However, this is going to be a very strong Pat's team. I'm surprised they signed O’Cearuill, this lad is talented and will perform well in the Eircom league.

Rovers1
02/03/2008, 7:12 PM
Rommy is a bigger signing than this O Cearuill lad, sounds like another Mansaram to me.

Only1Rovers
02/03/2008, 7:13 PM
Rommy is a bigger signing than this O Cearuill lad, sounds like another Mansaram to me.

touché!!!!!!!!!!
;):D;)

The only time I saw O’Cearuill play was in the states with the Rep. But he has been getting great write up's in the press over the last number of years.

sligoman
02/03/2008, 7:17 PM
Rommy is a bigger signing than this O Cearuill lad, sounds like another Mansaram to me.Except O’Cearuill is a defender;)

Rovers1
02/03/2008, 7:24 PM
Except O’Cearuill is a defender;)

yeah i know, but he just sounds like the kind of player who is only using LOI to get back to England....hope he gets stuck here too like Darren!!! :D:D

forza rovers
02/03/2008, 7:41 PM
i was talking to seamie before the game and he said they werent playing cause they are banned for the pats game

Dodge
02/03/2008, 8:13 PM
yeah i know, but he just sounds like the kind of player who is only using LOI to get back to England
Hehad a contract in England, and we paid a transfer fee for him. The LOI wasn't his last resort

feo123
02/03/2008, 10:12 PM
o'cearuil will be a great addition to pats, i was suprised to see him coming to them, thought he might have moved up a notch in england

Shiba
04/03/2008, 6:33 AM
Brush

Bulter
Almeida
McKenzie
Murphy

Doherty
O'Grady
Moore
Cretaro

Judge
Boco

Not a clue!

akearins
04/03/2008, 8:33 AM
hard to select the first 11, which is a good thing, shows we have a good squad.I'd probbaly go with

Jennings (simply because Brush has very little match practice)
Ralph
Almeida
Butler
Murphy

Doherty
O'Grady
Moore
Faz

Boca
Judge

gustavo
04/03/2008, 8:39 AM
I think Cookie will go with the same team that started the Athlone game

neutrino
04/03/2008, 11:46 AM
I think Cookie will go with the same team that started the Athlone game

well it all starts on friday for cookie. It's his team now - a point on friday would be good. need to get off to a good start considering how the form dropped away in the last 9 games of last season (for a host of reasons). going to be a scrap this season so need to stay away from it all at the bottom. looking forward to friday !!!

villarover
04/03/2008, 4:45 PM
hard to select the first 11, which is a good thing, shows we have a good squad.I'd probbaly go with

Ralph
Almeida
Butler
Murphy

Doherty
O'Grady
Moore
Faz

Boca
Judge
You couldnt leave your top scorer from last season in midfield, i would start Faz up front and play Boco behind him and leave grady fit in front of the back four and drop judge for this away game and play five across the middle as pats are very creative in this department. i agree with Jennings aswell, was impressed with him on Saturday nite. we all know what Brush is capable of so lets see if Jennings is up to it.

sligoman
04/03/2008, 4:53 PM
lets see if Jennings is up to it.I think he's already proved he's not, last season. If Jennings starts this we will definitely lose.

Shiba
04/03/2008, 5:00 PM
don't know if its just me but ye seem to rate this Butler fella good enough to make the starting eleven.Now I have only seen him play once.That was against Harps.Didnt look up to it, imo.I think he will at least pickup a yeelow card a game.Raph looked far more comfortsble playing there at left back against Athlone.

deecay
04/03/2008, 5:03 PM
Brush

Anto
Feeney
McKenzie
Bulter

Cash
O'Grady
Moore
Doherty

Judge/Faz
Boco

villarover
04/03/2008, 5:14 PM
don't know if its just me but ye seem to rate this Butler fella good enough to make the starting eleven.Now I have only seen him play once.That was against Harps.Didnt look up to it, imo.I think he will at least pickup a yeelow card a game.Raph looked far more comfortsble playing there at left back against Athlone.
With all new signings they have to be giving time, in fairness not alone are they just after joining a new club but also a new league and prob not knowing nothing about it, it would take at least until the second series of games are played until you make your mind up on a player, then at least they have came up against the same winger/striker twice then and have a far better idea how to play them or handle them. These are young lads coming to a different country and hopefully trying there best for the club and develop as a player, and its my view that we give them all the help we can from the sidelines.

villarover
04/03/2008, 5:17 PM
I think he's already proved he's not, last season. If Jennings starts this we will definitely lose.
Last season in fairness he was at another club and another back four in front of him which has alot to do with a keeper confidence. This move could be the making of him!

sligored
04/03/2008, 11:22 PM
Brush

Anto
Feeney
McKenzie
Bulter

Cash
O'Grady
Moore
Doherty

Judge/Faz
Boco

there is no question that faz is an automatic. you cannot drop your best player.... despite sligomans reservations/muleish tendencies. put him in midfield ahead of cash moore doherty or even o grady at a last resort. creativity is our shortfall not application(of which faz has improved immensely).
watch berbatov at spurs... fergie admires his qualities(like cantona) .
some fans dont like his attitude but no genuine spurs fan wants him out of the team. get over the form of two seasons ago(connor played him as a defensive midfielder)... as far as im concerned he gives his all for rovers every time.
its the sign of a great player if drogs (champions) will pay the highest ever transfer fee for a rovers player to secure his services ... and some begrudgers question his first team place with rovers. thats ridiculous.

sligoman
04/03/2008, 11:27 PM
thats ridiculous.No it's opinion, get over it! Faz has shown he's not commited and hasn't impressed me in pre-season, simple as that. That's just me, I'm not the one picking the team...though neither are any of ye.

Only1Rovers
05/03/2008, 6:58 AM
its the sign of a great player if drogs (champions) will pay the highest ever transfer fee for a rovers player to secure his services ... and some begrudgers question his first team place with rovers. thats ridiculous.

is this correct?

Redie
05/03/2008, 8:59 AM
Originally Posted by Sligored
there is no question that faz is an automatic. you cannot drop your best player.... despite sligomans reservations/muleish tendencies. put him in midfield ahead of cash moore doherty or even o grady at a last resort. creativity is our shortfall not application(of which faz has improved immensely).

100% Correct

jamie m
05/03/2008, 10:36 AM
i think people are entitled to have concerns over faz and his selection in light of his transfer request and at the beginning i thought we should sell him rather that let him go for nothing and risk having him for a season where he puts in uncommittted performances, however as someone pointed out he is a professional footballer and if he has ambitions of moving on he should want to maintain his standards from last season and impress other clubs, Think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he plays to his potential, should have a clearer idea of this after first few games ,
with regards to the game itself against pats am really looking forward to it, have a sneaky feeling we could get a decent result- am going with a 1-1 draw

deecay
05/03/2008, 2:10 PM
I think he hasnt preformed over the 4 games ive seen him,he was losing the head when things didnt go right for him in some of thses games,he handed in a request after being threated so well by Cook.Id ease him back in

Only1Rovers
06/03/2008, 8:50 AM
100% Correct

No, I meant that Faz would be our most expensive player sold if we were to sell him to Drogs for 40K

villarover
06/03/2008, 11:51 AM
Good Eircom league pullout in the Sun today. Interview with Mr Boco......

Guts&Glory
06/03/2008, 12:49 PM

Ralph
Almeida
Butler
Murphy

Doherty
O'Grady
Moore
Faz

Boca
Judge

First 11 picks itself alright for Friday due to the suspensions in the back 4.

Not much on the bench attacking wise though IMO again this season.

I feel we have a good 16-18 players when all available though, overall a better panel than last year.

Hopefully the injuries and suspensions dont come too thick and fast.

Where is that Witch Doctors number again......

SRFCbrothelutd
06/03/2008, 1:36 PM
Lads just heard the team for tomorrow nite...

Jennings

Murphy
McKenzie
Almedia
Butler

Cash
Ogrady(C)
Bocu
Doherty

Faz
Judge

Thoughts?

gustavo
06/03/2008, 1:43 PM
Team News

http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/487/1/

akearins
06/03/2008, 2:36 PM
Almost what we all expected only worry I would have is the midfield is not very defensive for an away match and may leave the defence exposed.

Only surprise is the omission of Alan Moore in the middle

Can see Murphy pusing more infield to help conor and Boca with practically a free roll, faz playing just behind Judge

villarover
06/03/2008, 2:38 PM
Lads just heard the team for tomorrow nite...

Jennings

Murphy
McKenzie
Almedia
Butler

Cash
Ogrady(C)
Bocu
Doherty

Thoughts?
There not much more he could have done with so many out. Raf has to be dissapointed been left out as i feel Cash is a better sub coming on. I wonder how far will he let Boco push forward to help out the front 2.

Rovers fan
06/03/2008, 4:20 PM
Only surprise is the omission of Alan Moore in the middle

cookie said at thw Q&A night that moore will be used sparingly at the start of the season.

forza rovers
06/03/2008, 4:22 PM
There not much more he could have done with so many out. Raf has to be dissapointed been left out as i feel Cash is a better sub coming on. I wonder how far will he let Boco push forward to help out the front 2.
ya i agree with he makes more of an impact coming on as a sub. what do ya think almeda?

sligoman
06/03/2008, 4:23 PM
Boco is 66-1 to score 2 or more, stuck a euro on that.

deecay
06/03/2008, 4:47 PM
Id have Brush in Goals

O Grady centre half instaed of Almedia

Switch Faz and Bocu

Have Garry Curren in the centre

gustavo
06/03/2008, 4:48 PM
Id have Brush in Goals

O Grady centre half instaed of Almedia

Switch Faz and Bocu

Have Garry Curren in the centre