PDA

View Full Version : Ireland to face Colombia - London, 29th May

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gwhite
19/02/2008, 8:06 AM
Spain, Greece & Turkey mooted as opposition.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=55608-qqqx=1.asp

RedMick
19/02/2008, 8:52 AM
Instead of going to London, what do you reckon the chances are of getting the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick for an afternoon kickoff? 50,000 capacity and still in our own country.

NeilMcD
19/02/2008, 8:55 AM
Its only Croke Park that the GAA opened up.

RedMick
19/02/2008, 9:17 AM
Well surely thats the thin end of the wedge?

noby
19/02/2008, 9:21 AM
So you reckon there would be 50,000 at a friendly on a Wednesday afternoon in Limerick?

paul_oshea
19/02/2008, 9:26 AM
id love if this match were in London.

RedMick
19/02/2008, 9:27 AM
OK didnt realise it was a Wednesday :rolleyes: but why could there not be 50,000 in Limerick on a Saturday afternoon in the future?

noby
19/02/2008, 9:30 AM
Because of what Neil said. And I'd imagine weekends around the end of May might already be busy for the GAA.

shakermaker1982
19/02/2008, 9:58 AM
will save me on air fares and hotels!!!

Fr. Murphy
19/02/2008, 10:05 AM
Instead of going to London, what do you reckon the chances are of getting the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick for an afternoon kickoff? 50,000 capacity and still in our own country.

A very small chance, I'd prefer to go to Africa:)

Deckydee
19/02/2008, 10:19 AM
As it is going to be at Loftus Road

Wo Hoo!!

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=55608-qqqx=1.asp

NeilMcD
19/02/2008, 10:23 AM
the vital word there is could, still just a rumour. I would prefer a proper away trip than a trip to London to be honest.

mr.untitled
19/02/2008, 10:42 AM
whatever about the gaa, what about thomond park

noby
19/02/2008, 10:45 AM
That only holds about 13000, at a squeeze.

janeymac
19/02/2008, 10:48 AM
whatever about the gaa, what about thomond park

Won't be completed until Nov. for visit of All Blacks :D (doubt if they would let the FAI steal their thunder).

It will only hold 26,000 anyway I think.

Plastic Paddy
19/02/2008, 11:50 AM
As it is going to be at Loftus Road

Wo Hoo!!

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=55608-qqqx=1.asp

I do hope you're right, as it's just a ten-minute walk from chez PP. :)

:ball: PP

Sligo Hornet
19/02/2008, 12:04 PM
I do hope you're right, as it's just a ten-minute walk from chez PP. :)

Not too far for me also!:)

amaccann
19/02/2008, 12:10 PM
Interesting.

Is there any chance the new Thomand Park would ever be used for soccer, internationals or otherwise? Or am I just being daft?

ifk101
19/02/2008, 12:20 PM
Interesting.

Is there any chance the new Thomand Park would ever be used for soccer, internationals or otherwise? Or am I just being daft?

It's available for sacar.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/lime-rugby/Thomond-Park-to-open-its.3503815.jp

Lionel Ritchie
19/02/2008, 12:29 PM
Interesting.

I wish they would but there seems to be grim determination to double and triple up on infrastructure. Some of my fellow shannonsiders are also of the opinion that people won't attend LOI unless it's in a "City centre venue".

I on the other hand contend that, if there was a successful team there competing for things, Limerick could play out of Glin and still get a good crowd. I know there's a chicken and egg conundrum there but there you have it.

I've never understood why, as far as I know, playing football at Thomond Park has never even been discussed.

frankbrett
19/02/2008, 12:44 PM
I wish they would but there seems to be grim determination to double and triple up on infrastructure. Some of my fellow shannonsiders are also of the opinion that people won't attend LOI unless it's in a "City centre venue".

I on the other hand contend that, if there was a successful team there competing for things, Limerick could play out of Glin and still get a good crowd. I know there's a chicken and egg conundrum there but there you have it.

I've never understood why, as far as I know, playing football at Thomond Park has never even been discussed.

The soccer pitch in Glin is sorrounded by a housing estate. This would have to knocked down for expansion to EL standards :D

Deckydee
19/02/2008, 1:30 PM
That only holds about 13000, at a squeeze.

Ahem? ;)

Actually it holds nearly 20000 when it is full/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Road

:cool:

CJTheGull
19/02/2008, 1:48 PM
What about a friendly with Kosovo? Heard they might be looking for a game. :cool:

Scram
19/02/2008, 1:53 PM
the vital word there is could, still just a rumour. I would prefer a proper away trip than a trip to London to be honest.

Absolutely or even to Scotalnd, or Wales, or RavenHill Belfast...has that been opened up to soccer?

Actually, on second thought, friends and family in London, could be a good outing

Topman
19/02/2008, 1:59 PM
Come on Decky,

QPR fans should know that Loftus Road, the Mecca of Football has a capacity of 19,184.....all seater stadium since 1994-95 season.

Maybe Martin Rowlands might get a game

Plenty of Irish Pubs in Shepards Bush

UUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:D

ifk101
19/02/2008, 2:09 PM
What about Sunderland's Stadium of Light? :D

noby
19/02/2008, 2:10 PM
Ahem? ;)

Actually it holds nearly 20000 when it is full/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Road

:cool:

Fascinating, but I was replying to the Thomond Park suggestion.

amaccann
19/02/2008, 4:25 PM
Fascinating, but I was replying to the Thomond Park suggestion.
The new development though is supposed to hold 30,000 though, no? Which was my question as to whether the new Thomand would be a) ready (which it wont so feh) b) accessible to soccer if they so wished.

beautifulrock
19/02/2008, 5:20 PM
Its been done before in the Unity Cup in The Valley, played Nigeria in the first game a terrible game and performance as it happens, lost 3 - 0 and the crowd if I remember correctly was no more than 8000.

Plastic Paddy
19/02/2008, 5:32 PM
Had they have played the Unity Cup matches in the 'spiritual heartland' of Shepherd's Bush, the games would have been sold out, I can assure you. ;)

Modern and pleasant as The Valley is, Charlton is neither accessible nor accommodating.

beautifulrock
19/02/2008, 5:44 PM
Modern and pleasant as The Valley is, Charlton is neither accessible nor accommodating.

very true, they actually had engineering works on that Saturday and it was nightmare to get to and from.

backstothewall
19/02/2008, 6:37 PM
What about Windsor??

Stop laughing, I'm serious. Linfield could do with the money, If NI aren't using it that night why not??

Sligo Hornet
19/02/2008, 7:15 PM
Had they have played the Unity Cup matches in the 'spiritual heartland' of Shepherd's Bush, the games would have been sold out, I can assure you. ;)

I agree PP, having visited the Valley last saturday, there is very little to excite you around the stadium.....very bleak place!:eek:

However, around the "Bush" there are food outlets to cater for ANY taste, some really good pubs, and very easy to get to from Central London.The Stadium creates a good atmosphere ( even if not full ) although is now looking "very tired" ( and that's being nice! )

NeilMcD
19/02/2008, 8:05 PM
Although I am sure Shepherds Bush is lovely I would much rather some other Bush to be looking for I must say.

stiofain
19/02/2008, 8:07 PM
Although I am sure Shepherds Bush is lovely I would much rather some other Bush to be looking for I mus say.

Good lad

paul_oshea
19/02/2008, 9:05 PM
neil these sexual innuendos are getting better :D

still though sharon ni blowjob wins hands down everytime :D

To be honest whats in sheperds bush apart from that carling academy and the aussie place full of smelly aussie buffs?! Where are these great pubs i dont know about?!

Irish_Praha
19/02/2008, 9:06 PM
Ah this thread brings back a lot of memories for me :) From exactly 10 years ago :eek: I was a football steward for the the 1997-98 season in London for the non-premiership teams. Charlton, Milwall, QPR and Fulham were my main stays. I have to agree that QPR had a much nicer stadium than Charlton at that stage. They (Charlton) had max. 16,000 capacity then. I know it's been upgraded since then though. Milwall was the best because they shared the leftover pies and rolls among the stewards instead 0of throwing them in the rubbish like the other clubs. Which was nice after 4 hours of standing around in the cold for 5 quid an hour.
Edited to say:
I forgot to mention that Charlton was handy for me because I lived in Plumstead but there was no tube station near there. However, the tube station in the Bush looked very 70's. Has it been renovated recently (since '98) or it still looks so cr@p with these 1" x 1" tiles, or was that Hammersmith (90% sure it was the bush)?

Irish_Praha
19/02/2008, 9:18 PM
neil these sexual innuendos are getting better :D

still though sharon ni blowjob wins hands down everytime :D

To be honest whats in sheperds bush apart from that carling academy and the aussie place full of smelly aussie buffs?! Where are these great pubs i dont know about?!

Paul ye auld (young) pervert!

lopez
19/02/2008, 10:07 PM
neil these sexual innuendos are getting better
How do you get to Shepherd's Bush? :confused:

Up the Shepherd's trousers. :D

I'll get my coat! :o

Qwerty
19/02/2008, 10:16 PM

Wow didn't realize that Limerick had a stadium with 50,000 seats...

kingdomkerry
19/02/2008, 10:30 PM
Wow didn't realize that Limerick had a stadium with 50,000 seats...

Theres probably about 25k-30k seats in the gaelic grounds. Most are in the uncovered stand. This is before you put bucket seats in the terrace.

Condex
19/02/2008, 10:38 PM
Was at the Valley(Charlton) a few years back when Ireland played Jamaica..
Poor crowd, crap match..

If they want to play another game in London make sure its in North London...

Jerry The Saint
19/02/2008, 11:15 PM

Someone's thought about it, as well as the article above it was mooted at the FAI fans forum

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=858661&postcount=75

FAI Cup
This will be the first time the FAI (EL) run the competition. They are looking to build it up and make the final a real showpiece. The final will be 2 weeks after the EL - i think this will be the same each year. Interesting to note thomond park a possible contender to host the final.

gwhite
20/02/2008, 7:31 AM
It now seems that Colombia will be the opposition at Fulham's Craven Cottage.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=soccer-qqqa=sport-qqqid=55699-qqqx=1.asp

ifk101
20/02/2008, 7:41 AM
What about Windsor??

Stop laughing, I'm serious. Linfield could do with the money, If NI aren't using it that night why not??

The capacity is too low and the place is falling apart. And then we have other options that are better. For example, the RDS' capacity is approx. 7,000 more than Windsor's.

shakermaker1982
20/02/2008, 9:04 AM
I've not been to the Craven Cottage so it's another stadium I can say I have been too!

NeilMcD
20/02/2008, 9:16 AM
Bush and now the Cottagers its one extreme to another.

paul_oshea
20/02/2008, 9:23 AM
savage, i can see why craven cottage is being used - celtic get a huge following to it every year for a pre-season friendly. Its a lovely stadium, loads of good bars in fulham too, like the oneills ( great for a sing song after ) and that other irish bar that looks a bit like waxys on the inside. Great venue, bit of trek from town but well worth it! And neil there will be plenty of female WASPS there for you to have a gawk at! so alls happy

Sligo Hornet
20/02/2008, 10:05 AM
savage, i can see why craven cottage is being used - celtic get a huge following to it every year for a pre-season friendly. Its a lovely stadium, loads of good bars in fulham too, like the oneills ( great for a sing song after ) and that other irish bar that looks a bit like waxys on the inside. Great venue, bit of trek from town but well worth it! And neil there will be plenty of female WASPS there for you to have a gawk at! so alls happy

Do you mean "Hornets";)

Bluebeard
20/02/2008, 10:29 AM
celtic get a huge following to it every year for a pre-season friendly.
Same for Loftus Road too, I believe - packed for the friendly during the Summer, good place for a crowd, right in on the pitch.

There or Craven Cottage would suit me down to the ground.