PDA

View Full Version : Delaney hits back at Keane.

Pages : [1] 2

NeilMcD
17/02/2008, 7:30 PM
I have to say fair play to Delaney. I have said it before on another thread that I thought Keane was talking ****e in relation to the FAI for the last few months. As Delaney says he should concentrate on Sunderland first rather than other peoples business. Get your own house in order as they say. If someone said to me a few years ago that I would support Delaney in a debate with Keane I would have laughed at you but he is dead right on this issue.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0217/fai.html

Ireland4ever
17/02/2008, 7:41 PM
I have to say fair play to Delaney. I have said it before on another thread that I thought Keane was talking ****e in relation to the FAI for the last few months. As Delaney says he should concentrate on Sunderland first rather than other peoples business. Get your own house in order as they say. If someone said to me a few years ago that I would support Delaney in a debate with Keane I would have laughed at you but he is dead right on this issue.

I think alot of people are starting to think that, Keanes ramblings over the past few months have become tiresome and frankly embarrassing. His abuse of the english players for having no character after losing to croatia was followed up by sundireland losing 7-0! Should learn to keep his opinions to himself more.

Bunny Kelly
17/02/2008, 7:42 PM
Totally agree. Love the comments about Keane's transfer record & passing judgement on the GAA

amaccann
17/02/2008, 8:00 PM
Although the argument can be made that Keane probably gets asked these asinine questions, I would agree that yes, Keane should stop mouthing off about anything and everything, soccer related or not. I don't think the FAI are perfect, but Keane just looks like a moaner.

SUB of the day
17/02/2008, 8:16 PM
....Delaney is dead right on this one.This has been the best week in a long time for Irish Football.O Briens largesse is being bemoaned instead of celebrated.As along time fan, I can safely say , for the first time in a long time the buzz is back.Serbia in May can't come quick enough.OH TRAPATTONI A REAL AZZURRI.....IN THE GREEN ARMY!

BigmanCas
17/02/2008, 9:49 PM

Keane just said what everyone was thinkin. He speaks his mind. He is doing a good job with Sunderland - judgement should be reserved until season is over. Delaney is a class A clown and nobody should forget that. Taking any credit for the Trapp appointment by hitting out at
Keane is characteristic of a man with no courage.

All Delaney wants to do is make the RTE panel happy. Dunphy has a go at Keane - then Delaney has a go. Sickening!!! Venables was right when he said that Dunphy shafted him. Why do we have to listen to idiots like Delaney and Dunphy anyway????? Not sure about a section of Irish support at the moment. Supporting John Delaney? Calling for S Hunt to be introduced to somehow change a game? Standing for Dunphy implicitly calling the shots. Please waken up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GavinZac
17/02/2008, 9:54 PM
He is doing a good job with Sunderlandyou've got to be kidding

NeilMcD
17/02/2008, 10:02 PM
Not one of your comments above is based on any fact what so ever.

Keane did not say what everyone was thinking as can be seen from my post and other peoples posts. Keanes comments were both untrue and unhelpful in this process. I said from the start that there was too much comment being passed by people who did not know the ins and outs of the process and the only way to judge it was was the result it produced. Well the result it produced was one of the greatest managers in the history of the game so I am prepared to say fair play to the 3 guys.

Keane was commenting on issues he did not know about as he did not know how the 3 guys were going about their job. He was only doing it to deflect away from his troubles and also to have another dig at the FAI. I thought Keane was right in 2002 because he was in at the coalface and his comments could achieve good etc however now it just comes across as hurler on the ditch and without foundation most of the time.

I have read many of your comments on this board over the last few weeks and I would be getting very very worried if many Irish fans started to think about the game in the same way you do. While no fan of Delaney or Dunphy I think on the Trapattoni appointment they have been largely right. Someone told me before that no person is always right and no person is always wrong and the best thing is to listen to what they are saying rather than who is saying it. This is what I try to do with Keane, Delaney, Dunphy, Givens and whoever it may be and while all these 4 people talk ****e sometimes, sometimes they are actually right.

Finally Hunt does have a role for Ireland, as he has been in great form for Reading this year. He delivers a great cross and he works the line great getting up and down and if you were a fullback, he would be a nightmare to play against.

NeilMcD
17/02/2008, 10:04 PM
He is. Sunderland are doing the best of the 3 promoted teams at the moment. He's used his reputation and links to bring in players of a quality that other managers in the club simply wouldn't be able to attract. Like Richardson, Evans, Reid and Gordon.

Jesus he is in big trouble if there are other managers at the club. So who else is the manger there. :)

brine3
17/02/2008, 10:13 PM
If Roy Keane, or any other Premiership manager, were as incompetent as John Delaney, then they would have gotten the sack a long time ago.

Trapattoni has taken pity upon us and suddenly John Delaney thinks he's God. Well we still remember John Delaney appointing his golfing buddy as Ireland manager. There's no fooling us. Why doesn't he get around to implementing the Genesis report, the same Genesis report that came about thanks to Roy Keane pointing out years and years of FAI bollucks.

Delaney: "He looks very good on deflecting from his own issues." This is king bloody deflection speaking here.

This is pretty stupid by Delaney, Roy Keane might make a damn fine international manager some day down the line.

Drumcondra 69er
17/02/2008, 10:18 PM
He is. Sunderland are doing the best of the 3 promoted teams at the moment. He's used his reputation and links to bring in players of a quality that other managers in the club simply wouldn't be able to attract. Like Richardson, Evans, Reid and Gordon.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Are you for real??? He's been able to bring in players like that because he was given a budget of nearly £50m which none of the other promoted teams have. There'd be something seriously wrong if they weren't doing the best out of all 3 promoted teams. He's squandered a good chunk of that budget to boot.

Some people are still so blinkered about Keane it's beyond belief....

ruben_sosa
17/02/2008, 10:22 PM
the same Genesis report that came about thanks to Roy Keane pointing out years and years of FAI bollucks.

oh thank you Roy, thank you, for walking out on us during the World Cup to show us the error of our ways.

STFU.

amaccann
17/02/2008, 10:33 PM
Keane just said what everyone was thinkin. He speaks his mind. He is doing a good job with Sunderland - judgement should be reserved until season is over. Delaney is a class A clown and nobody should forget that. Taking any credit for the Trapp appointment by hitting out at
Keane is characteristic of a man with no courage.

All Delaney wants to do is make the RTE panel happy. Dunphy has a go at Keane - then Delaney has a go. Sickening!!! Venables was right when he said that Dunphy shafted him. Why do we have to listen to idiots like Delaney and Dunphy anyway????? Not sure about a section of Irish support at the moment. Supporting John Delaney? Calling for S Hunt to be introduced to somehow change a game? Standing for Dunphy implicitly calling the shots. Please waken up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speaking your mind is irrelevant if you have nothing useful to say. The FAI headhunt turned out to be a big something out of nothing. The end result is a potentially great manager for us. And speaking about the GAA situation just proves what a waffler he has become!

Kivlehan
17/02/2008, 10:45 PM
Congratulations, John Delaney. You have successfully deflected attention from the questionable ethics of letting a fan buy out Steve Staunton as manager and from the general incompetence of the FAI, by stirring up yet another Saipan-centered p1ssing match.

If Delaney were as competent at running the FAI as he is a crafty politician and spinster, Ireland would be qualifying for every tournament and have one of the top football leagues in Europe. But of course, his silver tongue is only utilized to cover his own incompetent tracks and keep him in power.

Don't be fooled -- the only one deflecting here is Delaney.

pineapple stu
17/02/2008, 11:07 PM
Don't be fooled -- the only one deflecting here is Delaney.
I agree. I noted on the FOotball Feeds forum - and may as well note here, as no-one really reads the posts on that forum - that Delaney's response was of the sort our more stupid posters here would post. It didn't respons to any criticisms; it merely said "Who's he to complain about us when he's doing this?" In reality, I'd say most people had forgotten about Keane's rant, so to dig it up, and with such a petty attitude - doesn't reflect well on Delaney.

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 8:31 AM
Jesus he is in big trouble if there are other managers at the club. So who else is the manger there. :)
Well done Neil - you know what was meant yet you have identified some little mistake to totally defelect from the argument. Keane has done well. On the whole he has purchased well - he has a slight geographical disadvantage in that not many pros want to play in the NE of England. He brought a team from rock bottom of the championship to promotion as championship winners. He is nearing mid table with Sunderland.

Reading are going down I suspect - S Hunts performances aren't exactly setting the night on fire. Lets call a spade a spade. He is sub standard. OK we'll agree to disagree and reserve judgement until the end of the season. I predict respectability for Keane and relegation for Hunt. He'll be playing with his brother in the SPL next season - He is c**p!! IMO.

Macy
18/02/2008, 8:41 AM
Well done John Delaney, successfully shifted the deal he did with O'Brien off the sports pages. Is Keane bigger news than the Irish International Team given that it worked?

NeilMcD
18/02/2008, 8:47 AM
Well done Neil - you know what was meant yet you have identified some little mistake to totally defelect from the argument. Keane has done well. On the whole he has purchased well - he has a slight geographical disadvantage in that not many pros want to play in the NE of England. He brought a team from rock bottom of the championship to promotion as championship winners. He is nearing mid table with Sunderland.

Reading are going down I suspect - S Hunts performances aren't exactly setting the night on fire. Lets call a spade a spade. He is sub standard. OK we'll agree to disagree and reserve judgement until the end of the season. I predict respectability for Keane and relegation for Hunt. He'll be playing with his brother in the SPL next season - He is c**p!! IMO.

So now this argument is all based on whether Sunderland survive ahead of Reading lol. Also you will see i did that little joke with a smile and as a seperate response. I did respond to your post in full if you read back on the thread. So not trying to deflect at all.

Point is that Keane was having a go at the FAI and as CEO Delaney was defending it. That is his job as CEO if somebody makes false allegations against the FAI. Fanning tried to do the same and he had to correct himself yesterday in the paper.

osarusan
18/02/2008, 10:09 AM
he has a slight geographical disadvantage in that not many pros want to play in the NE of England.

I don't think this is true. Newcastle have managed to bring players like Owen, Ginola, Asprilla and others to their club over the years, and are also in the north of England.

I think most players don't want to go to Sunderland because the team isn't great, but it is easier for Keane to say it is a geographical problem, rather than the quality of his team.

That said, I think he's doing ok as Sunderland manager, he hasn't bought very well, but looks like keeping them up, which I would think was the objective at the start of the season. If I were a Sunderland fan though, I'd be concerned that there isn't really any foundation to the squad, meaning that if they do stay up, they will be in the same position as they are now, fighting for survival.

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 10:10 AM
Apparently John Delaney is not allowed defend himself or the FAI without it being called an attempt to deflect the attention away from the DO'B contribution (supported by 75% of the people). Is one not allowed to defend one's self from snipings from the North East of England?

Keane is articulate but he hasn't learned yet that he doesn't have to answer every question he's asked. Every week there is a soundbite from him on just about every topic under the sun. Delaney said Keane should concentrate on his own job - not pontificate on goings across the water either in the FAI or GAA and I think he's correct. It's like as if he is some sort of Guru or prophet or has to make pronouncements and his devoted followers hang on every word.:rolleyes:

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 10:36 AM
Apparently John Delaney is not allowed defend himself or the FAI without it being called an attempt to deflect the attention away from the DO'B contribution (supported by 75% of the people). Is one not allowed to defend one's self from snipings from the North East of England?

Keane is articulate but he hasn't learned yet that he doesn't have to answer every question he's asked. Every week there is a soundbite from him on just about every topic under the sun. Delaney said Keane should concentrate on his own job - not pontificate on goings across the water either in the FAI or GAA and I think he's correct. It's like as if he is some sort of Guru or prophet or has to make pronouncements and his devoted followers hang on every word.:rolleyes:

I think you'll find that J Delaney/FAI look after the affairs of Our International Football team. I cannot stress OUR enough. The performance of this team has a direct/indirect effect on all who live on this Island and in many ways all from this Island, living elsewhere. So if its Roy Keane talking at a press conference in Sunderland or Declan Moffatt from Glenamaddy, talking on some outback radio show in Austraila about Irish International Football is irrelevant. They are both Irish people entitled to give their twopence on how they think the show is being run. It is obvious from Delaneys' recent attack on Keane that he is trying to deflect attention from all the fiascos which have occured under his tenure. The way the International Team is run, is a matter for us all. John Delaney would just like everyone to go away and give him peace to run the FAI. This will not happen on my watch. Good Man Keane. To think I defended Delaney from an irrate fan in Bratislava haunts me to this day. He is a idiot and should be raced!!!!!!

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 10:48 AM
John Delaney would just like everyone to go away and give him peace to run the FAI. This will not happen on my watch. Good Man Keane. To think I defended Delaney from an irrate fan in Bratislava haunts me to this day. He is a idiot and should be raced!!!!!!

What has made you change your opinion since September? Surely, whether it was by accident or not, you have to congratulate the FAI for the capture of Trapattoni and admit that Keane was way off the mark in regards to pretty much everything he said about the selection process.

Roy Keane's views are paid far too much attention to. He is not the voice of the Irish supporters.

Greenforever
18/02/2008, 10:51 AM
I may be suffering from loss of memory but I don't remember RK giving quite so many interviews etc when he was a successful player, likewise he didnt spend his time last season criticising the FAI, as he was quite happy to wallow in his own success before he blew €50m or more

Also can someone remind me how long it took SUnderland to appoint a new manager when Quinn and Co took over, taking into account the number of cometivie games in the period etc?????

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 10:59 AM
What has made you change your opinion since September? Surely, whether it was by accident or not, you have to congratulate the FAI for the capture of Trapattoni and admit that Keane was way off the mark in regards to pretty much everything he said about the selection process.

Roy Keane's views are paid far too much attention to. He is not the voice of the Irish supporters.

I was one of the fans who went to Bratislava and Prague thinking that we could get six points from the two games....

Lionel Ritchie
18/02/2008, 11:03 AM
Another nothing story.

I heard the interview and JDs remarks were quite casual and flippant -almost jovial if you can imagine the clown being jovial.

The RTE report, which doesn't tell you these "Harsh words" were spoken in an interview with the utterly clueless Marian Finucane deliberately spins it like he's issued a press statement or something.

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 11:05 AM
I was one of the fans who went to Bratislava and Prague thinking that we could get six points from the two games....

That's what made you turn on him???

blobbyblob
18/02/2008, 11:14 AM
Im all for freedom of speech but...

I like Roy Keane. I always have. Roy Keane has a right to say what he likes about the FAI or their search for a manager but BUT Roy Keane, as one of the greatest Irish players ever, he has a responsibility to be mindful of what he chooses to say about our governing body, especially considering the amount of influence he has on our British style newspaper.

As someone who is actively involved in "grassroots", fairly regularly attends LOI football and religiously attend international games, I feel that comments from the likes of Roy Keane serve no purpose but to set the whole of Irish football back rather than trying to drive on our country. As someone who drove us on the pitch to better things, I would have preferred him to do the same off it. I would have no doubt that active players in Irelands set up also listen to Mr Keane and regard what he says with some kudos which is disappointing.

Given the calibre of appointment that we have been blessed with, I hope Mr Keane will be as quick to congratulate and support John Delaney and the FAI as he was to ridicule in the last few weeks.

We have a chance for the first time in years to be positive, put the past behind us, put our faith in the FAI and Trapattoni or we can continue to p**s and moan and continue to fall into the black hole.

And thats the choice for every Irish person - including Roy Keane.

brine3
Roy Keane's views are paid far too much attention to.

Well that's just it, the man is entitled to his opinion. People don't have to pay attention to it if they want. Giles, Brady, Dunphy, hell, even the likes of McAteer make comments about the Irish setup every now and then. Nobody takes any notice. But when Keane says anything loads of people come out of the woodwork calling him a langer and spitting vitriol. You don't have to listen to him if you don't want to.

John Delaney knew that anything to do with Roy Keane is a headline grabber, so decided to dig up some old story about Keane mentioning that the FAI cut corners, to deflect from the whole O'Brien thing. He could have equally attacked Andy Townsend, another former Ireland captain who has made similar comments in the past, but he decided to go after Roy Keane, because that would maximise his media deflection.

shakermaker1982
Delaney comes out fighting......we have appointed somebody decent and he's on the offensive now :) if we ended up with El Tel we wouldn't see his mug till May. Last time I looked Sunderland were 14th in the PL - he's hardly 'failing' at the top level is he? Did people expect him to challenge for a European place in his first season?

I hope Keane comes back with a counter now just to p**s off the suits. Maybe he shouldn't answer every question that is thrown at him but I'm sure he'll learn, he is still a novice after all (one and a half seasons as a manager). If he answered with 'no comment' every time he was asked a question we'd all be crying out for managers with Mourinho's witty humour.

NeilMcD
18/02/2008, 11:20 AM
Delaney comes out fighting......we have appointed somebody decent and he's on the offensive now :) if we ended up with El Tel we wouldn't see his mug till May. Last time I looked Sunderland were 14th in the PL - he's hardly 'failing' at the top level is he? Did people expect him to challenge for a European place in his first season?

I hope Keane comes back with a counter now just to p**s off the suits. Maybe he shouldn't answer every question that is thrown at him but I'm sure he'll learn, he is still a novice after all (one and a half seasons as a manager). If he answered with 'no comment' every time he was asked a question we'd all be crying out for managers with Mourinho's witty humour.

Keane wears suits a lot of the time I think, does that make him a suit. At the end of the day if Delaney said the same things about Sunderland I would expect Keane to come out fighting with comments and you know for sure he would. So those that are slagging Delaney over this should remember that, he was just defending his organisation against lies and slander.

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 11:21 AM
Well that's just it, the man is entitled to his opinion. People don't have to pay attention to it if they want. Giles, Brady, Dunphy, hell, even the likes of McAteer make comments about the Irish setup every now and then. Nobody takes any notice. But when Keane says anything loads of people come out of the woodwork calling him a langer and spitting vitriol. You don't have to listen to him if you don't want to.

John Delaney knew that anything to do with Roy Keane is a headline grabber, so decided to dig up some old story about Keane mentioning that the FAI cut corners, to deflect from the whole O'Brien thing. He could have equally attacked Andy Townsend, another former Ireland captain who has made similar comments in the past, but he decided to go after Roy Keane, because that would maximise his media deflection.

The problem is that Roy Keane knows that what he says is going to attract attention. I understand that it's not easy to just say no comment when a microphone is shoved in your face and knowing that if you don't talk about irrelevant things then you're going to have to talk about your team's poor record (up until recently). I can understand where Keane is coming from in a way, but he's asked questions that he has no idea about sometimes. It's just a shame that the media will grab onto anything he says and it makes back page news.

People seem to be throwing this back in Delaney's face. Do people expect him to just sit there and take (sometimes) unnecessary criticism when he's finally got something right?

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 11:25 AM
That's what made you turn on him???
No - After Brian Kerr's tenure - I began to have my reservations. I liked S Staunton and was willing to give him a chance. I don't know if you remember but going into the game in Bratislava we were unbeaten in six, having won five of them. We had just beaten Denmark 4-0 and I was confident that we could do it. When the bus was leaving the hotel for the pitch in Bratislava we were there cheering the lads on, when Delaney came out and before getting into a Merc behind a supporter started shouting abuse at him. I told the guy to calm down. He did. I was of the opinion that the Staunton era was getting started. Fast forward to the game that night. Stan leaves A Reid on the bench because the pitch would have been too heavy for him? Leaves S Ireland on the pitch when it was obvious that he should not have been (albeit - he scored) The introduction of Darren Gibson, Jonathan Douglas and the last minute equaliser was when I realised that it was a false dawn and it was not really Stans fault as he should not have been given the job in the first place. My mind wandered back to before the game. If I could have turned back the clocks I would have joined in with my fellow supporter giving Delaney abuse. I will see him again no doubt and I might give him a piece of my mind.

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 11:28 AM
No - After Brian Kerr's tenure - I began to have my reservations. I liked S Staunton and was willing to give him a chance. I don't know if you remember but going into the game in Bratislava we were unbeaten in six, having won five of them.

Sorry, I don't remember that. I thought we were unbeaten in 8 (5 competitive) and had won 5 of them (4 competitive).

If you supported Staunton at the beginning and up until that point, then I really don't think you can then turn around and blame Delaney. It would be like me saying that Delaney has made the right choice with Trapattoni and then if we fail to qualify blame it all on Delaney for getting then wrong man.

NeilMcD
18/02/2008, 11:33 AM
S

If you supported Staunton at the beginning and up until that point, then I really don't think you can then turn around and blame Delaney. It would be like me saying that Delaney has made the right choice with Trapattoni and then if we fail to qualify blame it all on Delaney for getting then wrong man.

See this is the crux of the issue here, you hear so many people do this sort of thing. Fair play Jmurphy for pointing it out. With Stan I felt from the start he was a disaster and that Delaney was wrong to appoint him. With Trap I think its a great appointment no matter what happens the 3 man panel have done a good job on this.

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 11:41 AM
I liked S Staunton because he was a great servant to Irish soccer
I was willing to give him a chance because he was our national team manager.
He was never my number one. Get real boys....

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 11:43 AM
See this is the crux of the issue here, you hear so many people do this sort of thing. Fair play Jmurphy for pointing it out. With Stan I felt from the start he was a disaster and that Delaney was wrong to appoint him. With Trap I think its a great appointment no matter what happens the 3 man panel have done a good job on this.

What if we don't qualify will it still be a great appointment?
You can only judge on results. Stan was in with a chance of qualifing before the game in Bratislava. Simple as that.......

shakermaker1982
18/02/2008, 11:45 AM
Keane wears suits a lot of the time I think, does that make him a suit. At the end of the day if Delaney said the same things about Sunderland I would expect Keane to come out fighting with comments and you know for sure he would. So those that are slagging Delaney over this should remember that, he was just defending his organisation against lies and slander.

To be a proper 'suit' you have to wear it for at least 35 hours a week. Keane's only in it for the 90 minutes and the post match interviews. :D

Keane's Irish and I'd say he is a fan of the national side - he has an opinion on the process just like everybody on foot.ie, Dunphy, Giles, O'Leary etc etc.

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 11:47 AM
What if we don't qualify will it still be a great appointment?
You can only judge on results. Stan was in with a chance of qualifing before the game in Bratislava. Simple as that.......

If we don't qualify it will still have been a great appointment (at the time). You say you can only judge on results; you can only judge a manager on results. JD can only be judged on the appointment. It's not fair to judge him on results unless you're not behind the manager from the start.

Manc Irish Wolf
18/02/2008, 12:14 PM
Totally agree with Delaney. As I much as I love Keane - Ireland are more important. His continual point-scoring is petty and damaging to the team. He should get on with his own affairs.

Slagging off the FAI is one thing, however when he completely dismissed the prospects of our U21 side publically - young aspiring reserve/championship players who need confidence instilled from an Irish role-model, rather than detrimental negativity - he was bang out of order and needs a taste of his own medicine. He continually talks up his own players such as Miller and Stokes (the latter being the least effective player on the pitch against England recently, when surrounded by lads with a supposed limited future) and seems (as maybe he always has been) interested in his own business, at the expense of Irelands.

deadman
18/02/2008, 12:23 PM
Another nothing story.

I heard the interview and JDs remarks were quite casual and flippant -almost jovial if you can imagine the clown being jovial.

The RTE report, which doesn't tell you these "Harsh words" were spoken in an interview with the utterly clueless Marian Finucane deliberately spins it like he's issued a press statement or something.

how naive do you think delaney is??? ... he may come across as a bumbling fool ... but he knows as well as anyone how the game works ...

this was a calculated and well thought out move by the man ... emboldened by the events of last week. he knew exactly how this story would unfold ... no matter how casual he sounded

Scram
18/02/2008, 12:28 PM
how naive do you think delaney is??? ... he may come across as a bumbling fool ... but he knows as well as anyone how the game works ...

this was a calculated and well thought out move by the man ... emboldened by the events of last week. he knew exactly how this story would unfold ... no matter how casual he sounded

I'm starting to actually like Delaney now.....how bizarre :confused:

I've been saying that Keane should shut his treacherous Cork mouth for a long time now....bitter spiteful individual, especially having a go at Shay Given for "gathering caps". Playing in friendlies is not something to be mocked but applauded.

Lionel Ritchie
18/02/2008, 1:12 PM

How what game works? You're ascribing to the guy a level of aforethought for which he is not reknowned ...unless it directly involves protecting his job.

I'll say it again -it's a nothing story -being amplified by RTE and the papers to turn heads and shift units.

Bald Student
18/02/2008, 1:21 PM
Delaney was probably right in what he said but defending himself by taking a cut at Sunderland's league position and signings is petty.

Macy
18/02/2008, 1:51 PM
unless it directly involves protecting his job.
You mean like under pressure for accepting money from a tax exile for the association?

pineapple stu
18/02/2008, 2:09 PM
Point is that Keane was having a go at the FAI and as CEO Delaney was defending it.

Apparently John Delaney is not allowed defend himself or the FAI
See, the problem with this is that Delaney didn't try to defend the FAI - he just whined at Sunderland and basically said "Who are you to comment when you're doing so badly?". If instead he'd addressed Keane's claims, it would have been a proper reply; instead, it sounded like petty, uncommendable bitching.

However, as per usual with this site, I think the key of the issue is in a post ignored by everyone -

Another nothing story.

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 2:10 PM

You must be new to following Ireland if you genuinely thought that :p We could have had JC himself in charge and we would never have come out of those games with 6 points.

Next up: Reporter: "Roy, isn't it a disgrace the price of pigs in Kilmallock?"

Roy: "It's to do with the slow down in the Gloooooobal economy like and....."

Mr. Soundbite Man.

blobbyblob
18/02/2008, 2:42 PM
We could have had JC himself in charge .

Nobody told me Jack Charlton available? Jesus Christ!

Billsthoughts
19/02/2008, 8:02 AM
See this is the crux of the issue here, you hear so many people do this sort of thing. Fair play Jmurphy for pointing it out. With Stan I felt from the start he was a disaster and that Delaney was wrong to appoint him.

are you for real??? you and owlsfan and that other cham karlosirl were his biggest fans. shows what you collectively know about football.:rolleyes:

Morbo
19/02/2008, 8:56 AM
I'm starting to actually like Delaney now.....how bizarre :confused:

I've been saying that Keane should shut his treacherous Cork mouth for a long time now....bitter spiteful individual, especially having a go at Shay Given for "gathering caps". Playing in friendlies is not something to be mocked but applauded.
Yeah I remember those spiteful comments, he also questioned Patrick Viera's patriotism by playing for France to which Viera correctly pointed out that Keane is the last person in the world that should be questioning anyones patriotism, he has always being full of BS, took Eamo long enough to figure that one out though

NeilMcD
19/02/2008, 9:00 AM
are you for real??? you and owlsfan and that other cham karlosirl were his biggest fans. shows what you collectively know about football.:rolleyes:

No we werent I was against the appointment of Staunton from the start and I was going mad when he got the job. However once he was in the job, I decided I was not going to annoy myself every day by giving out about him and supported the team but he should never have got the job and once the campaign was over I wanted him to go. I did not agree he should have been sacked after 3 games like some on here wanted but he was the wrong man for the job and I said it at the time.

Thanks for calling me a cham by the way, whatever that is.