PDA

View Full Version : 7 players on the bench for eL?

Pages : [1] 2

sullanefc
07/02/2008, 6:06 PM
Just heard on a Today FM sports bulletin that the English Premier League are changing the rules next year to allow clubs name 7 subs for PL games next year.

For me, this makes a lot of sense as Euro games allow 7 subs, so why have it different for league games?

As we know, eircom League games also have 5 subs on the bench. Should we change as well?? It would make more sence IMO.

BTW, how many subs are Italian and Spanish teams allowed to name, is it 5 as well? Or is it 7?

TheBoss
07/02/2008, 6:08 PM
It is 7 everywhere virtually, except Ireland and England. Not sure about Wales or the North

Sam_Heggy
07/02/2008, 9:12 PM
The premier League is also putting forward the motion for each team to play one game in a foreign country.

Oh wait we already do :p

Ill get my coat. :o

JC_GUFC
07/02/2008, 10:29 PM
Not being funny but quite often teams, particularly in Division 1, seem to struggle to have 5 players on the bench.

I don't think there's any need for it at all.

sullanefc
07/02/2008, 11:11 PM
Not being funny but quite often teams, particularly in Division 1, seem to struggle to have 5 players on the bench.

I don't think there's any need for it at all.

Just because, you are allowed to have 7 subs doesn't mean you HAVE to have 7 subs.

I think it should be introduced to allow managers a bit more flexibility when making tactical changes. It would also bring us inline with European competitions where our clubs are allowed 7 subs anyway.

DRDoc
07/02/2008, 11:51 PM
My understanding is that it was the big four in england, Liverpool in particular, who were behind the move for the change to seven - I know Benitez mentions it should be 7 very regularly in press conferences

If it were to be introduced here I have no doubt we would see the smaller clubs saying it puts them at a disadvantage

A face
08/02/2008, 1:20 AM

Nah, leave it behind ya, you dont deserve it after that :p

Macy
08/02/2008, 8:29 AM
If it were to be introduced here I have no doubt we would see the smaller clubs saying it puts them at a disadvantage
As it obviously does. Bigger clubs would have more strength in depth in their squads, so allowing them to bring more of that squad into the match day obviously gives them an advantage.

Potentially would also mean less quality throughout the league - more players involved on a match day may mean less fringe players dropping down a level (either within a division or to the first).

harps1954
08/02/2008, 8:33 AM
Clubs are allowed to name 7 subs in FAI Cup games. Can't understand why the same rule doesn't apply to the League/League Cup though.

gufct
08/02/2008, 8:52 AM
Because players would get paid an appearence Fee if on the bench so more expense for the clubs.

OneRedArmy
08/02/2008, 8:57 AM
The premier League is also putting forward the motion for each team to play one game in a foreign country.

Ill get my coat. :oThats unfair.

I quite like the trip to Cork.....

headtheball
08/02/2008, 9:10 AM

Considering Harps have been in 1st divison about 16 of the 22 yrs the 1st divison has been going that trip over the "border" hasn't been as often as hoped...:D

BohDiddley
08/02/2008, 1:34 PM
The only logic in this is to allow bloated budgets buy more players. If anything, the game should be going the other way, and looking to curtail squad sizes.

Steve Bruce
08/02/2008, 3:27 PM
It is 5 in Northern Ireland as well.

I think 7 subs is fine. Why not. It could give younger home grown players better opportunity to get into the first team squad.

pete
09/02/2008, 11:51 AM
What do we always have to copy England?

Would only make sense if required 2-3 players to be U21.

Would clubs get grants to extend the dug outs?

Buller
09/02/2008, 3:44 PM
Would clubs get grants to extend the dug outs?

Hahaha! That's the main barrier!

SligoBrewer
09/02/2008, 6:17 PM
I'd only be in favour if 2 players had to be members of the U20 squad.

TheBoss
09/02/2008, 8:17 PM
Well, they do that in Scotland dont they, 7 subs but 3 or 4 have to be youth players.

GavinZac
09/02/2008, 8:47 PM
Thats unfair.

I quite like the trip to Cork.....

Unfair? It was a complement :D

Dodge
09/02/2008, 8:59 PM
What do we always have to copy England?England has copied every one else...

I think this is the rule in some of the Scandinavian leagues

sullanefc
10/02/2008, 1:00 PM
What do we always have to copy England?

Well, we have been copying england by having 5 subs all along. The move to 7 subs would be copying the rest of the football world.

Well, they do that in Scotland dont they, 7 subs but 3 or 4 have to be youth players.

I think that's a good idea. 2-3 players in your squad must be youth players.

ramsfan
10/02/2008, 2:41 PM
if we have seven subs , the physio will probably have to kit out to make up the numbers:eek:

and it has taken us a year and a bit to build a stand, god knows how long it will take to add another couple of seats to the dug out, in the mean time it will be cosy in there :D:D

Buile Shuibhne
11/03/2008, 11:50 AM
Didn’t see it myself, but apparently there was a report in one of yesterday morning’s tabloids about a separate controversy at the St Pats Vs Sligo match on Friday?

Apparently Pats had seven subs on the teamsheet / bench.

One of the Pats backroom staff – Mick Byrne? – said he had spoken to the ref about it between 6.00pm and 6.30pm, but Mr Buttimer denys this saying he didn’t arrive at the ground until 6.40pm?

Anyone know anything about this ?

AFAIK the English Premiership have voted to allow 3 from 7 subs, starting from their 2008-2009 season, but the eL is still 3 from 5 ???????

TheBoss
11/03/2008, 11:54 AM
Shows the 4 unused subs here for Pats

http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/493/1/

Dodge
11/03/2008, 12:06 PM
Think the report was in the sun.

We definitely had 7 subs on bench 9interestingly none warmed up at ht).

Story goes that there were 7 spaces on team sheet handed to club so Mick Byrne asked Buttimer are we allowed 7 subs now (apparently clubs weren't informed about the change from 3 to 5 a couple of years ago) and Buttimer said yes. Buttimer was definitely in the ground before 6.30 as a wll known forum member was speaking to him.

Buttimer didn't mention anythign to the club when they submitted the sheet. Too busy trying to get kits to clash I presume.

neutrino
11/03/2008, 12:36 PM
If 7 subs are allowed (which i dont think they are) then surely other teams would have named 7 subs on their teamsheets.

Having named 7 is a technicality and cant see the implications. Not like it impacted the game - be different if a sub too many was let on or something - shouldnt think much will come of it.

seand
11/03/2008, 12:40 PM
But Pats did have an advantage in having 7 subs on the bench. They had more options, they could have cover more positions. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out. Presumably there's nothing in the rule book about naming more players than you're allowed, so it might be hard to punish them. Either way this could run and run.

Still it's comforting to know that we are paying for FOUR officials at every match who evidently don't even bother looking at the teamsheet.

neutrino
11/03/2008, 12:52 PM
But Pats did have an advantage in having 7 subs on the bench. They had more options, they could have cover more positions. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

hmm i see. In this case give sligo rovers the points :D

noby
11/03/2008, 12:55 PM
Presumably there's nothing in the rule book about naming more players than you're allowed

Pretty pointless rule book so. Every team would have their whole squad on the bench if that's the case.

seand
11/03/2008, 1:25 PM
Pretty pointless rule book so. Every team would have their whole squad on the bench if that's the case.

True. Actually, there has to be something, somewhere in the rules that states how many subs are allowed. Assuming it is still 5 it's going to be hard for Pats to 'prove' that Buttimer told them otherwise.

Redie
11/03/2008, 3:36 PM
This is unbelievable. The filling out of a match card and the naming of subs is a fundamental element of pre-match procedures, at any level be it Youths, Junior or Senior football and I would be certain that the rule book is crystal clear with regards to how many subs can be named. There is an obvious advantage in having 7 subs to call on as opposed to 5, what's going on? Actually last season we were fined for having a suspended player who travelled with the team watching the game from the dug-out and I think it may have been against St. Pats'

redtildead
11/03/2008, 4:00 PM
I know it makes no difference to result but it is still something that should be looked at.

Anyone would spot something wrong by looking at a teamsheet and seeing one team had 5 and one had 7 subs.

Redie
11/03/2008, 4:11 PM
Got this on the FIFA Web-Site from the latest edition of 'The Laws of the Game'.

Up to a maximum of three substitutes may be used in any match played in an official competition organised under the auspices of FIFA, the confederations or the member associations.

The rules of the competition must state how many substitutes may be nominated, from three up to a maximum of seven.

forza rovers
11/03/2008, 4:30 PM
This is unbelievable. The filling out of a match card and the naming of subs is a fundamental element of pre-match procedures, at any level be it Youths, Junior or Senior football and I would be certain that the rule book is crystal clear with regards to how many subs can be named. There is an obvious advantage in having 7 subs to call on as opposed to 5, what's going on? Actually last season we were fined for having a suspended player who travelled with the team watching the game from the dug-out and I think it may have been against St. Pats'
against cork last season brian cash was on the bench when he wasnt supposed to be he ended up getting fined and suppend another game

ramsfan
11/03/2008, 5:20 PM
surely the fourth official must have seen whats going on and i aggree if they had 7 and should have only had 5 they were gaining a significant advantage from it

Ambaiste!
11/03/2008, 5:49 PM
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say Buttimer's going out of his way to get Pats in trouble!;) Hard to imagine that they would just stick two extra subs on the bench without confiming that this was ok with the officials. I disagree with people saying it's insignificant and that it doesn't affect the result, especially as Pat's did use three of their subs.

I can see the FAI fining / docking points from Pat's just to get Buttimer out of jail, but in reality the man is a joke of a ref. I can understand the jersey fiasco in a way (i.e if he'd gotten a handball wrong over the sleeves) but I can't understand how he could have been so fussy about the jerseys and then miss the fact that Pat's had two extra players listed on their team sheet! He and all the officials involved should be disciplined over this.

Ambaiste!
11/03/2008, 5:57 PM
against cork last season brian cash was on the bench when he wasnt supposed to be he ended up gatting

:D Supernaggin up the jumper was it?! A must for those chilly Friday nights!

Buile Shuibhne
11/03/2008, 6:07 PM
I've a copy of the teamsheet for Shels Vs Dundalk last Friday, filled out on the official League form.

There are seven rows available under the 'Reserves' section.

Shels & Dundalk listed five subs each with both leaving the last 2 rows blank

Ambaiste!
11/03/2008, 6:21 PM
I've a copy of the teamsheet for Shels Vs Dundalk last Friday, filled out on the official League form.

I remember when the rule changed in the English League people were wondering if we would follow suit, but no announcement was made as far as I can remember. And seeing as Pat's were the only team to go for the seven (and at the last minute too it appears), it seems that the clubs weren't informed of any change either :confused:

TonyD
11/03/2008, 8:48 PM
Don't see how Pats can get into trouble for this when the ref passed the team sheet. Surely it's up to the officials to ensure that everything is in order ?

It's just not credible to think that any club would just decide "ah sure we'll stick a couple of extra subs on the sheet and see what happens" Especially Pats, given past history. If it comes down to who is telling porkies, I'd believe Mick Byrne over Buttimer any day. Is it possible that an FAI referee didn't actually know how many subs are permitted this year, and is now lying to cover his rear end ? Perish the thought.

atfconline
11/03/2008, 9:00 PM
but Mr Buttimer denys this saying he didn’t arrive at the ground until 6.40pm?

Here's one for you. This was supposed to be a 7:45pm kick-off before the kits debacle yes?

Clubs get fined for not having their team sheets handed in to the match officials 75 minutes before kick-off, and the ref has supposedly said he wasn't in the ground 65 minutes before his first game of the season??

sullanefc
11/03/2008, 9:10 PM
So are the FAI going with this or not?? :D

kdjaC
11/03/2008, 9:17 PM
So are the FAI going with this or not?? :D

Who cares, Pats are and thats good enough for me :D

kdjac

kdjaC
11/03/2008, 9:19 PM
Not sure of the score but with the sacking, the fine, the kit fiasco and 7 subs i think its.

Kerr 2 Delaney 2

This is the game we should be watching :eek:

kdjac

Redie
11/03/2008, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by TonyD

Don't see how Pats can get into trouble for this when the ref passed the team sheet. Surely it's up to the officials to ensure that everything is in order ?

It's just not credible to think that any club would just decide "ah sure we'll stick a couple of extra subs on the sheet and see what happens" Especially Pats, given past history. If it comes down to who is telling porkies, I'd believe Mick Byrne over Buttimer any day. Is it possible that an FAI referee didn't actually know how many subs are permitted this year, and is now lying to cover his rear end ? Perish the thought.

Of Course Pat's are in trouble if the rules of the competition states that only 5 subs can be named on the bench. Whether they were told they could do it or not the fact is they played the game with a distinct advantage over their opponents and I would say a replay is on the cards - IF the rule is 5.

Absolutely the match officials were at fault big time here and yes I would believe Mick Byrne before the referee and I would say it was very probable that the referee did not know how many subs could be named on the team sheet.

Fivesilver
12/03/2008, 10:48 AM
The best thing that could come out of all this is for the refs to be told the crowds aren't coming to see them, and to cop themselves on.
It's an old cliche I know, but you know a ref is doing a good job when you hardly notice him. How many times after a LoI game is the ref the most talked about person?

Dodge
12/03/2008, 11:30 AM
Here's one for you. This was supposed to be a 7:45pm kick-off before the kits debacle yes?

Clubs get fined for not having their team sheets handed in to the match officials 75 minutes before kick-off, and the ref has supposedly said he wasn't in the ground 65 minutes before his first game of the season??

interesting point. Certainly backs up what I was told...

Longfordian
12/03/2008, 12:01 PM

Aren't you allowed seven subs in the cup? Same team sheets I'd say?

Cymro
12/03/2008, 9:48 PM
It is 7 everywhere virtually, except Ireland and England. Not sure about Wales or the North

It's 5 in Wales, at least in league matches, but there are different rules for different competitions, I think. God knows why.

galwayhoop
13/03/2008, 9:35 AM

is it not 45 mins before kick off that teamsheets are submitted????