Cork City - 5000 (25000 for 5 games)
St Pats - 3533 (21200 for 6 games)
Shelbourne - 3460 (17300 for 5 games)
Waterford - 3240 (16200 for 5 games)
Bohemians - 2860 (14300 for 5 games)
Derry City - 2262 (9050 for 4 games)
Drogheda - 2250 (13500 for 6 games)
Longford - 2087 (8350 for 4 games)
Shamrock Rovers - 2060 (10300 for 5 games)
UCD - 910 (4550 for 5 games)

Surprises?

Figures should even out with return fixtures thru August.

patsh
17/06/2003, 9:46 PM
Very poor showing from Rovers......

James
18/06/2003, 7:46 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
Very poor showing from Rovers......

NO Ground NO Fans
NO Ground NO Fans :)

Homeless Homeless Homeless

Ash
18/06/2003, 9:21 AM
Any "official" figures from Division 1?

I'd be reckoning about 200 (max) avarage for Athlone Town :(

pete
18/06/2003, 9:35 AM
Figures obviously only approx numbers but should even out over the 2nd series of games.

Shel$ seem surprisingly high but think they boosted by a few big dublin derbies. No surprise to see Pats the best supported club from the pale but Bohs continue to get crap crowds.

Blue Muff
18/06/2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by James
NO Ground NO Fans
NO Ground NO Fans :)

Homeless Homeless Homeless

Where's your Miltown gone, where's your Miltown gone
where'e your Miltown gone, far far away

everybody now lets sing it

The old ones are always the best

TheRealRovers
20/06/2003, 8:09 PM
Our biggest for the season was 2,900 when we played Harps our smallest was Dundalk last week end with 1,000 we are getting a average of 1,600 for our home games which isn't bad for a first division club who is only mid table. summer football hasn't changed the crowds we're getting much the same as last season

pete
01/07/2003, 11:54 AM
(Averages for match figures in so far)

Cork City - 5000 (25000 for 5 games)
St Pats - 3533 (21200 for 6 games)
Shelbourne - 3460 (17300 for 5 games)
Waterford - 3240 (16200 for 5 games)
Bohemians - 2800 (16800 for 6 games)
Derry City - 2262 (9050 for 4 games)
Drogheda - 2250 (13500 for 6 games)
Longford - 2087 (8350 for 4 games)
Shamrock Rovers - 2060 (10300 for 5 games)
UCD - 910 (4550 for 5 games)

Postman
01/07/2003, 1:16 PM
Our five home games that you are using included ties against Drogheda, UCD, Cork and Derry. Not one of these clubs brought more than a hundred fans. Our average gates should look a lot different after the next series of games when you can include home ties against Pats (4,500), Odra (4500), Bohs, Shels and Liberec. I reckon there'll be a decent enough turn out for Waterford also. Finally, if I was a player I'd prefer 2060 Rovers fans behind me than 10,000 city, bohs, pats or shels.

pete
01/07/2003, 1:38 PM
Averages will mean a bit more once though the reverse fixtures from first 1/4 of the season.

Dublin clubs seem to be only able to get big crowds when playing their neighbours who bring 1-2k with them.

Crowds at the cross are all the more impressive considering 300 would be large travelling support so the numbers are pretty much all city fans.

Neil
01/07/2003, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by Postman
Our five home games that you are using included ties against Drogheda, UCD, Cork and Derry. Not one of these clubs brought more than a hundred fans.
Pathetic!

Surely your not relying on away fans to make up the crowd!

Typical Jackeen ignorance!

Cork City rarely get away crowds of more than 2/300...

WeAreRovers
01/07/2003, 2:12 PM
The really frustrating thing for Rovers is that most teams get their biggest crowd of the season against us. Great for the home team but useless to us. :mad:

KOH

Dodge
01/07/2003, 2:14 PM
great crowds by Sligo in the first. Fair play to them. Nobody should be gloating over their crowds. Until you'r averaging 8,000+ none of us should be happy.

Oh and the Shamrock song is S h i t Fans, no ground, s h i t fans, no ground

WeAreRovers
01/07/2003, 2:21 PM
Dodge, don't forget the new gypo song - Full time team, part time fans, Boez is your name!

KOH

wws
01/07/2003, 2:34 PM
our biggest gate is always against bohs

WeAreRovers
01/07/2003, 2:47 PM
Meant culchie teams - Drogs, Waterford, Cork etc. Dublin derbys are weird re. attendances. You can never second guess them.

Down the country they all come out to see the mighty Hoops. For instance our rivalry with Waterford is older than our rivalry with the gypos.

KOH

A face
01/07/2003, 2:47 PM
if I was a player I'd prefer 2060 Rovers fans behind me than 10,000 city, bohs, pats or shels.

Point taken about the next set of games .... good stuff.

Postman .... this is not a dig at you. But are 2060 fans discouraging another 3,000 fans from coming along. If so ... it aint good for the numbers game, and whatever about the players, the chairman cant be happy with that.

I think it is a reasonable target for each club to aim for an average of 8,000 - 10,000 in the permier at least.

wws
01/07/2003, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by A face

I think it is a reasonable target for each club to aim for an average of 8,000 - 10,000 in the permier at least.

look mate I'm not having a go but that is totally unrealistic

SÓC
01/07/2003, 3:20 PM
Originally posted by wws

I agree with wws. Think about it.

Firstly The Cross only holds about 8k. Incachore holds about 6k, Tallagh is only going to have 6k, not sure how much Dalymount holds.

Secondly our attendences are actually about right for the size of the country, if you look at the averages across Europe. Whilst people say if you got all the Premiership 'fans' to go to games here we'd have bigger attendences, in reality these 'fans' do actually get the idea of live football, if a Premiership team ever came to Dublin they'd have great support for a few years then people would lose interest because they're not Man Utd.

Ref
01/07/2003, 3:23 PM
Secondly our attendences are actually about right for the size of the country

well there were roughly 80,000 people in croke park a few weeks back and there were more people there than at the Nou Camp.

A face
01/07/2003, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by wws

http://www.dublincity.ie/

http://www.cso.ie

Demographics .... Catchment area (spelling?).

Why say unrealistic.

Compare with other European Cities

Even just to give the benifit of the doubt, dont include England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Not unrealistic at all. Put is this way .... any club that is not thinking like that could get left behind.

SÓC
01/07/2003, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by Ref
well there were roughly 80,000 people in croke park a few weeks back and there were more people there than at the Nou Camp.

But thats the point Im making, a lot of Irish people get bored quickly when their team isnt winning. The GAA is perfect for them, if their team loses twice then they dont have to worry until next year to once again become die-hard supporters.

Example; Hype built up the first leage game of the season where Dublin played Armagh something like 55k at it. Next game Dublin play in the league they couldnt fill Parnell Park.

Postman
01/07/2003, 3:27 PM
Never mind unrealistic, it's rediculous. I'd be delighted with an average of 5,000. 3-4000 averages for culchies and 6-7000 averages for dub derbies. I don't think our 2060 fans are discouraging anyone from coming. The fact that we haven't had a settled home for the last 18 years might have something to do with it though. In fact, over the last year many hoops have commented that they haven't enjoyed coming to games so much in years, due to the colour and the noise that's been created recently. It is a dilemna though. The atmosphere is undoubtedy better when you've got 2000 hardcore nutters, than when you have 6000 part timers. You could liken it to the difference between atmospheres at Ireland games in the seventies and eighties at atmosphere at the Ireland games these days. There may only have been 15-20000 standing on the terraces of Dalymount and Landsdowne back in those days but at least they sung their hearts out for ninety minutes.
Finally, I really don't let any slagging about our attendances get to me. The stadium issue is a weight on our shoulders that no other club has had to or would have been capable of carrying. When Tallaght comes around things will change. Just you all wait and see!

A face
01/07/2003, 3:40 PM
First point. I am not slagging .... dont accuse me of it.

The cross only holds 8K ....... EXTEND .... Build up. In short what i am saying is dont look for an excuse.

The say "but if we had the premiership crowd, .... blah blah ... it wouldn't work" is complete crap.

By that are you saying that we shouldn't try anything at all. If it is then it is retárded.

Blue Muff
01/07/2003, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by WeAreRovers
Meant culchie teams - Drogs, Waterford, Cork etc. Dublin derbys are weird re. attendances. You can never second guess them.

Down the country they all come out to see the mighty Hoops. For instance our rivalry with Waterford is older than our rivalry with the gypos.

KOH

As much as I hate to admit Rovers games are my favourite team in the country to play - The rivalry between these two clubs goes back to the 50's and 60's and has never really disappeared. This fixture always pulls a huge cword in Waterford regardless where both teams are in the league

SÓC
01/07/2003, 3:53 PM
Originally posted by A face
First point. I am not slagging .... dont accuse me of it.

The cross only holds 8K ....... EXTEND .... Build up. In short what i am saying is dont look for an excuse.

The say "but if we had the premiership crowd, .... blah blah ... it wouldn't work" is complete crap.

By that are you saying that we shouldn't try anything at all. If it is then it is retárded.

A Face the fact of the matter is we cant get 5k average and your talking about extending the Cross. What we need to hold on to the people who come to games and then build on that rather than saying we need 10k and need to extend the ground. Fill what we have first then expand.

Im never said dont try but Rome wasnt built in a day.

pete
01/07/2003, 3:59 PM
Clubs need to walk before they can run. 8K average is unrealistic for now.

If for example city keep selling out the cross & it becomes hard for even diehards to get tickets then obviously they should look to increase capacity. Increasing capacity when you can not hope to fill is just stupid.

Obviously the GAA gets much bigger crowds but they won't get those crowds every week. Just look at the back door games & up can see half empty terraces etc...

I can't talk for other clubs but the crowds at the cross have been impressive. I don't think the average of 5k is that far out his season & the real test is to keep those numbers up even if the club not top of the table. If we are top of the table filling the cross will be no problem. Getting approx 4k for the visit of UCD has shown how much the club has improved in recent years.

A Premier League average of 5k throughout the season isn't that unrealistic in say 3 years. To fund a fulltime premier league may require closer to averages such as 6-7k.

Slash/ED
01/07/2003, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by pete
Figures obviously only approx numbers but should even out over the 2nd series of games.

Shel$ seem surprisingly high but think they boosted by a few big dublin derbies. No surprise to see Pats the best supported club from the pale but Bohs continue to get crap crowds.

Might suprise you to know we actually have fans, as shocking as that may be....

Blues Fanatic
01/07/2003, 10:13 PM
where r u getting your facts from

pineapple stu
02/07/2003, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by Blues Fanatic
where are you getting your facts from

People at the games supplying estimates.

pineapple stu
02/07/2003, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by Blues Fanatic
where are you getting your facts from

People at thegames supplying estimates.

belfastduncer
09/07/2003, 1:10 AM
You should consider yourselves lucky guys, the IL would struggle to try and compete with that. Obviously you're doing something right if that's the way crowds have grown since I lived in Dublin in the aerly/mid 90's. Do you think it's the summer switch that's done it?
Okay, Linfield might get 12,500 + when the play Glumtoran but there are Premier teams who get much less than 1,000 for their average. We're way behind when it comes to marketing and selling our game.
As for the First Division, well it's spot the fan in some cases. That's not meant to denigrate the people who run those clubs and keep them alive, it's just a simple fact.

dortie
16/07/2003, 12:38 PM
Our five home games that you are using included ties against Drogheda, UCD, Cork and Derry. Not one of these clubs brought more than a hundred fans. .

We never get more than 60 away fans (ever) so i guess that argument doesnt make sense

pineapple stu
16/07/2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by dortie
We never get more than 60 away fans (ever) so i guess that argument doesnt make sense

Just on that - why is it youz play your home games on Thursdays? Yez'll never get any travelling support with games on Thursdays. Are the attendances really that much better than Fridays?

Dodge
16/07/2003, 12:45 PM
We never get more than 60 away fans (ever) so i guess that argument doesnt make sense Well there was certainly more than 60 pats fans there a couple of weeks ago. I'd say about double it actually

Macy
16/07/2003, 1:09 PM
That's your own faults with Thursday night "weekend" football...

Macy
16/07/2003, 1:19 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Might suprise you to know we actually have fans, as shocking as that may be....
Yeah but your first series included home games against Pats, Bohs and Rovers....

Slash/ED
16/07/2003, 10:07 PM
That's true alright, but the support has definitely improved.

TommyT
16/07/2003, 11:18 PM
A Premier League average of 5k throughout the season isn't that unrealistic in say 3 years. To fund a fulltime premier league may require closer to averages such as 6-7k.

Sensible stuff pete, especially considering you seem to be a neighbour of WAR's :D

TommyT
16/07/2003, 11:21 PM

What doesn't make sense. You're the most progressive club in Ireland of course you get big crowds :rolleyes:

Seriously though I'd expect our average attendence to pass yours out bytheend of this round of fixtures, though you attract on average of more home fans.

pete
17/07/2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TommyT
Sensible stuff pete, especially considering you seem to be a neighbour of WAR's :D

WAR's?

:confused:

Dodge
17/07/2003, 11:04 AM
Did anyone see the thread on Bohs MB about their attendences. A lot of their fans are truly shocked to see how poorly they are doing.

05/05/03 Monday Dundalk League Cup 505
09/05/03 Friday Derry League 1,854
23/05/03 Friday Drogeda League 1,614
13/06/03 Friday Longford League 1,844
30/06/03 Monday Cork City League 1,747
11/07/03 Friday Waterford League 1,796

Macy
17/07/2003, 11:24 AM
WAR's?

We Are Rovers I assume...

tiktok
17/07/2003, 4:07 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
05/05/03 Monday Dundalk League Cup 505
09/05/03 Friday Derry League 1,854
23/05/03 Friday Drogeda League 1,614
13/06/03 Friday Longford League 1,844
30/06/03 Monday Cork City League 1,747
11/07/03 Friday Waterford League 1,796

those are terrible, are the large attendances cited for dublin derbies mainly opposition supporters??

WeAreRovers
17/07/2003, 4:14 PM
Pete, Tommy is referring to the fact that you and I both have the misfortune to reside in Dublin 7. :mad:

KOH

wws
17/07/2003, 4:16 PM
i can say with total certainty that if REAL figures were put up for all clubs that Bohs would not be the only ones whos attendances are looked at with rose tinted spectacles by supporters

Ive said it once and I've said it a thousand times (thats ONE thousand folks not "over three and half") NEVER believe the fans estimates on these boards as fans at matches are very often in no position to judge a crowd at the actual match

audited figures will prove how wrong some of these guesstimates really are, I know that for a fact

Éanna
17/07/2003, 6:04 PM
Originally posted by wws
Ive said it once and I've said it a thousand times (thats ONE thousand folks not "over three and half") NEVER believe the fans estimates on these boards as fans at matches are very often in no position to judge a crowd at the actual match
And we all know what you think, you don't need to keep repeating it. I think we're all in agreement that fans estimates are unlikely to be right all the time but in the absence of official figures its something.

TommyT
17/07/2003, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
And we all know what you think, you don't need to keep repeating it.

Actually if people won't take on new (to them) info and alter their estimating ''technique'' accordingly I think he does. It seems only myself, Macy and himself are prepared to ''shoot low''.

As I think I mentioned on the ''Attendences'' thread the reason for staring it was that we'd get a reaistic assessment of the situation now so lazy Journo's would be less likely to go for ''Eircom Crowds Crisis'' headlines next season when the UEFA licence forces teams to accurately meter their attendences and announce the results.

TommyT
17/07/2003, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
those are terrible, are the large attendances cited for dublin derbies mainly opposition supporters??

Partly, also you get fans who mainly only go to derbys. A city fan who watches 10 games a season will 99% of the time watch all of them at the Box, a Dublin ''Big 4'' fan who does the same can often actually have attended more away than home fixtures though in neither case has either one of them left their home City.

Also the attendences aren't far off what City were getting in theirr last Sunday season.

pete could you include these official Bohs crowds alongside the original estimates, might give people an insight into where they're going wrong.

pete
17/07/2003, 6:43 PM
Originally posted by WeAreRovers
Pete, Tommy is referring to the fact that you and I both have the misfortune to reside in Dublin 7.

Ah but i live in the good part of :D

Me no time to edit all those attendances but might get back to in a couple of weeks. Anyone else want to just quote the current list & update?