PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Licences

Pages : [1] 2

exiled_gufc_fan
26/01/2008, 11:11 AM
Licences must be obtained by next Thursday.

According to the Westmeath Independent, Athlone might be in trouble:

Athlone currently owe the Revenue Commission in the region of €65,000 and have debts in excess of €15,000 in unpaid player wages from last season. The news of Athlone’s drastic debts has also put their membership of the League of Ireland in some doubt, as the club bid to receive a First Division playing licence by next Thursday, January 31.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/story.asp?stID=1406

Keen2win
26/01/2008, 11:22 AM
As much as I don't like them I really don't want to see them go out of business.:(

jebus
26/01/2008, 11:34 AM
It would be a shame if they did. Surely there is an American baron (ala Limerick), or a wannabe despot (ala Galway) that can save them?

GenerationXI
26/01/2008, 11:49 AM
fcukin hell :(

Philly
26/01/2008, 12:01 PM
They don't seem like a well run club. I remember last season their programme was basicly the same the second time we visited there as the first, stats were not updated or anything and it had the same pictures. The club doesn't have a website from what I can tell. They had a huge wage bill last season also, which was no feasible given their attendances.

It would be a huge pity if they went bust because of the stadium they have just built.

I think the FAI are helping them save themselves though and expect them to pull through.

Buile Shuibhne
26/01/2008, 1:10 PM
It begs the questions - Is the UEFA Licencing system worth it?

Kilkenny, Limerick, Longford and Athlone all have struggled financially in the past year.

The Licencing system has done what it is designed to do and exposed these shortcomings.

All well and good, it's the survival of the fittest, but it looks like we'll be left only with a smaller league of well run clubs.

The A League is designed to bring new - and viable - clubs into the eircom League. Only 4 new clubs came in and it remains to be see whether they survive. Is it too hard to get into the League?

Reading between the lines and from chatting to some of eL officials at the forum last week, I get the feeling that they were disappointed that there wasn't more applicants who either applied or who made the grade.

The Licencing system certainly isn't 'a rising tide which will lift all boats' - some clubs are getting swamped.

The Licencing system has many merits and is certainly very much a move in the right direction - but will we be left with a smaller elitist league?

Battery Rover
26/01/2008, 1:13 PM
We should be ok from what I have heard but only just (Fingers crossed)

It is time for our club to get back to grass roots and develop this big money every year is killing the club. We need a complete restructuring for things to work

Myself and Ash are trying to generate interest in a trust to look after the club promotion etc

I am working on a website at the moment and it should be ready for the end of February. I have recruited a couple of local journalists that are helping me with content for both this and the programme and if we can get this trust going with a strong committee it will help things no end.

It is now time for committee to stand up and be counted so us as supporters can help

Battery Rover
26/01/2008, 1:16 PM
Licences must be obtained by next Thursday.

According to the Westmeath Independent, Athlone might be in trouble:

Athlone currently owe the Revenue Commission in the region of €65,000 and have debts in excess of €15,000 in unpaid player wages from last season. The news of Athlone’s drastic debts has also put their membership of the League of Ireland in some doubt, as the club bid to receive a First Division playing licence by next Thursday, January 31.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/story.asp?stID=1406

The financials have to be in by that date. The first instance committee doesn't sit until about the 16th February.

RonnieB
26/01/2008, 3:36 PM
I wonder if we can get a license first time around for once.

Martinho II
26/01/2008, 5:44 PM
fingers crossed ronnie b fingers crossed!:)

very sad reading about athlone. tell u one thing we may be better off than athlone but at least their press are up to the pulse compared to our lot... we only find out ronan frawley is joining us in an interview in the westmeath indep[endent!!

very poor pr from our club. ... website could do with being updated more often..:mad:

rant over...

Sonic
26/01/2008, 5:56 PM
I wonder if we can get a license first time around for once.

A first division licence! Surely in Gods holy name we can manage it first time this season:D

Dodge
26/01/2008, 6:08 PM
It begs the questions - Is the UEFA Licencing system worth it?

Yes, and please return the league title you won when you shouldn't have received a license

Battery Rover
26/01/2008, 7:24 PM
very sad reading about athlone. tell u one thing we may be better off than athlone but at least their press are up to the pulse compared to our lot... we only find out ronan frawley is joining us in an interview in the westmeath indep[endent!!

Kevin O'Neill the journalist that wrote that piece has Athlone Town running through his veins. If he gets a sniff that something is going on he will dig and dig until he gets the information.

Buile Shuibhne
26/01/2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, and please return the league title you won when you shouldn't have received a license

But Shels did win the league with a current & valid licence, under the then criteria.

Your personal antipathy towards Shels can't that.

Dodge
27/01/2008, 1:37 AM
But Shels did win the league with a current & valid licence, under the then criteria.

Your personal antipathy towards Shels can't that.

My antipathy can't what?

And there's no way in hell you had a tax clearance certificate legally...

Good luck to you playing the angles, but legal eagle chicanry will only get you so far, and you are where you are by the choices your club made. I hope that title keeps you warm in the first division

sullanefc
27/01/2008, 2:15 AM
All this financial trouble Dublin City, Shels last 2 seasons, then Limerick, Kilkenny and now Athlone!!!! Hopefully the wage cap can prevent this and prevent clubs from spending beyond their means. How did Athlone run up a tax bill of 65k?? How much are they paying their players??

Terry
27/01/2008, 7:03 AM
some of their players were on over a grand a week !!!! ridiculous.

On top of the €65,000 owed in tax, the players are also owed a total supposably in around €15,000?

Buile Shuibhne
27/01/2008, 9:11 AM
My antipathy can't what?

And there's no way in hell you had a tax clearance certificate legally...

Good luck to you playing the angles, but legal eagle chicanry will only get you so far, and you are where you are by the choices your club made. I hope that title keeps you warm in the first division

Left out the word 'change' - btw 'chicanery' is the correct spelling

Anyway back on topic - another problem area could be Premer Div & First Div reserve teams in the A League. Squads will have to be 22+ obviously, incurring a bigger wage bill for clubs, but playing in the A League isn't going to generate any extra income with gate money negligible?

First Div can't afford to enter teams, while Premier Div clubs will be watching their 65% wage cap?

Poor Student
27/01/2008, 9:19 AM
Left out the word 'change' - btw 'chicanery' is the correct spelling

Anyway back on topic - another problem area could be Premer Div & First Div reserve teams in the A League. Squads will have to be 22+ obviously, incurring a bigger wage bill for clubs, but playing in the A League isn't going to generate any extra income with gate money negligible?

First Div can't afford to enter teams, while Premier Div clubs will be watching their 65% wage cap?

I'm not sure the 'A' Championship is going to increase the wage bill all that much. Unless you have a squad like Drogheda or Shels 2004-2006 I think it'll be mainly inexperienced young players getting a shot or injured players returning and senior fringe players who didn't figure the previous game. Clubs aren't going to go out and sign players to field in the division.

oldyouth
27/01/2008, 9:37 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can read a copy of the actual requirements in order to secure/maintain the EL Licence? I know a lot of it is financial stability but I'm curious about the 'football' side of things:confused:

Battery Rover
27/01/2008, 9:52 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can read a copy of the actual requirements in order to secure/maintain the EL Licence? I know a lot of it is financial stability but I'm curious about the 'football' side of things:confused:

Think this is what you are looking for http://www.fai.ie/pdf/FAI_Club_Licensing_Manual_2008.pdf all 220 pages of it

oldyouth
27/01/2008, 10:41 AM
Cheers Battery Rover. A long read ahead

gufct
27/01/2008, 9:50 PM
I'm not sure the 'A' Championship is going to increase the wage bill all that much. Unless you have a squad like Drogheda or Shels 2004-2006 I think it'll be mainly inexperienced young players getting a shot or injured players returning and senior fringe players who didn't figure the previous game. Clubs aren't going to go out and sign players to field in the division.

Premier Clubs will have to have squads of 30 plus their u20 players to field 3 teams this season and we have budgeted the A Team to cost us in excess of €100K .

Mr A
27/01/2008, 9:53 PM
we have budgeted the A Team to cost us in excess of €100K

Seriously? That seems a bit excessive! I'd say the majority of our A side will be first team squad players who'd be getting paid anyway and then other guys not getting paid.

gufct
28/01/2008, 11:42 AM
You are going to have a full Management team structure for the A team and depending on First/U20'S Fixtures you are going to need 8/12 Players to fill the gaps. You will also have travel/medical/affiliation and ancillary costs.

geezer
28/01/2008, 9:09 PM
Budget for the A League alone is 150k thats probably twice limericks budget
with a 3 year plan to get that to 450k...

Lim till i die
28/01/2008, 10:10 PM
Budget for the A League alone is 150k thats probably twice limericks budget

Once again with the Limerick obsession.

Factually rubbish mind.

You know about as much about Limerick's budgets as a cat knows about his father.

geezer
29/01/2008, 10:34 PM
must be zilch at this stage and why are your fans asking us for info on the gufc forum. zilch money,zilch manager, zilch information flow, and yet yee go out of your way to spurn offers of help from other supporters groups. Its true your sc worked hard last year and achieved a lot and well done. The only interst I have is Lims could provide a decent derby opportunity if the house was in order. Lims and Athlone were always 2 places a fair scattering of utd support travelled to in the past. I will stay away from your forum if thats ok as well

Lim till i die
29/01/2008, 10:48 PM
must be zilch at this stage

You know about as much about Limerick's budgets as a cat knows about his father.

and why are your fans asking us for info on the gufc forum.

Why don't you ask them??

zilch money

zilch manager

You know about as much about Limerick's managerial situation as a cat knows about his father.

zilch information flow

I know exactly what's going on.

Thank you for your concern.

Its true your sc worked hard last year and achieved a lot and well done.

Thanks, how very patronising of you.

The only interst I have is Lims could provide a decent derby opportunity if the house was in order.

If our house was in order Galway would probably be fifth or sixth in our list of games to look forward to.

But thank you so very much for your interest.

and yet yee go out of your way to spurn offers of help from other supporters groups. I will stay away from your forum if thats ok as well

Well if you go on to our forum one last time you will see 4tothefloor explaining the stuff we are doing and why your constant bleating about your precious trust is frankly a bit gay.

If we want you we'll call you.

I pwomise

Without labouring a point :

You know about as much about Limerick supporters activities as a cat knows about his father.

Maz
30/01/2008, 10:35 AM
I'm hearing that ours could be looking bad with the tax thing hanging over us. Watch this space I suppose

Buile Shuibhne
30/01/2008, 10:40 AM
I know that accounts info from all clubs has to be submitted by tomorrow Thursaday 31st - but how long will it take to assess that and when will the clubs be notified about the licences and then the results made public?

Maybe next week?

gufct
30/01/2008, 10:52 AM
The way things are going id say the week before the season starts. There are questions over Limerick,Athlone and now Longford along with one other club I have heard of myself.

Until clubs take responsibility for their actions and live within their Budgets this is going to keep on happening. The 65% Rule has to be introduced completely with no fudging or derogations.

Mr_T
30/01/2008, 11:18 AM

Why don't you ask them??

You know about as much about Limerick's managerial situation as a cat knows about his father.

I know exactly what's going on.

Thank you for your concern.

Thanks, how very patronising of you.

If our house was in order Galway would probably be fifth or sixth in our list of games to look forward to.

But thank you so very much for your interest.

Well if you go on to our forum one last time you will see 4tothefloor explaining the stuff we are doing and why your constant bleating about your precious trust is frankly a bit gay.

If we want you we'll call you.

I pwomise

Without labouring a point :

You know about as much about Limerick supporters activities as a cat knows about his father.

This post is sponsored by the Limerick Unmarried Feline Father Rights Association.....

Longfordian
30/01/2008, 11:19 AM
Licencing committeee meets on the 16th or 18th February can't remember which. We have a tax bill to pay but should be able to manage it, hopefully anyway.

gufct
30/01/2008, 11:33 AM
I thought any debts had to be settled by tomorrow. Hope ye pull through though.

jebus
30/01/2008, 11:35 AM
must be zilch at this stage and why are your fans asking us for info on the gufc forum.

How did you find out about L37Ultra's multiple personalities?? And how's the all mighty GUST's search for Maddie and the WMD's going??

Battery Rover
30/01/2008, 11:42 AM
I thought any debts had to be settled by tomorrow. Hope ye pull through though.

Once a club is in talks with the revenue it covers your accounts but agreement must be met by the time of the first instance committee on the 16th February

gufct
30/01/2008, 11:48 AM
cheers same goes for Athlone and Limerick despite their 2 no 1 fans insulting anyone who shows any kind of Interest in their clubs fortunes.

RonnieB
30/01/2008, 12:55 PM
Licencing committeee meets on the 16th or 18th February can't remember which. We have a tax bill to pay but should be able to manage it, hopefully anyway.

Hopefully indeed.

Sonic
30/01/2008, 12:57 PM
I'm hearing that ours could be looking bad with the tax thing hanging over us. Watch this space I suppose

A large proportion of that has to be paid from Cup final prizemoney it was only 140 grand which is nothing compared to what Shels and Cork were faced with!!

Longfordian
30/01/2008, 1:01 PM
Once a club is in talks with the revenue it covers your accounts but agreement must be met by the time of the first instance committee on the 16th February

Is that definitely the case? I had thought it was tomorrow that it would have to be done by. Another couple of weeks could be useful if worst were to come to the worst.

Battery Rover
30/01/2008, 2:57 PM
Is that definitely the case? I had thought it was tomorrow that it would have to be done by. Another couple of weeks could be useful if worst were to come to the worst.

The finacials have to be in by tomorrow so worst case scenario is that a club will be asked for the extra information when the first instance committee meet on the 16th.

It is like this thing with Bertie Ahern not having a tax clearance cert once you are in talks it is ok as that is the law of the land.

Our wage issue will be sorted fully tomorrow and from what I hear so will the tax bill. It was getting very worrying at one stage

Longfordian
30/01/2008, 3:01 PM
I'd hope we'll be ok too. Fingers crossed for everyone to get through it, the league definitely doesnt need to lose any more clubs.

Battery Rover
30/01/2008, 3:08 PM
I'd hope we'll be ok too. Fingers crossed for everyone to get through it, the league definitely doesnt need to lose any more clubs.

Agree totally. As much as i dislike Longford it wouldn't be the same without them.

Longfordian
30/01/2008, 3:17 PM
Cheers..We hate ye guys too!

CamacKhazai
30/01/2008, 3:18 PM
I know that accounts info from all clubs has to be submitted by tomorrow Thursaday 31st -

How very Italian of you Fintan.

ramsfan
30/01/2008, 3:29 PM
if longford and athlone buckled what would happen then to league bring in two more teams who arent really prepard for loi football?

jebus
30/01/2008, 3:34 PM
if longford and athlone buckled what would happen then to league bring in two more teams who arent really prepard for loi football?

ah I doubt the FAI would be allowed demote Cobh :)

Its a poor joke but it's a Cobh joke

Battery Rover
30/01/2008, 3:35 PM
Cheers..We hate ye guys too!

And I would expect no less

ramsfan
30/01/2008, 4:10 PM
typical turn a genuine post around and have a go:(:D