PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Sports in Croke Park

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
20/01/2008, 12:50 PM
THE GAA have held discussions about the prospect of bringing the Pittsburgh Steelers and American Football back to Croke Park.

The Steelers were last in Croke Park during the Nineties for an American Bowl game against the Chicago Bears, but new talks have been held to see if the Steelers can return to play an NFL game in Dublin.

NFL franchise owners recently approved a plan to play annual games in Europe, Canada and Mexico to cater for American Football's huge international audience and there is a strong possibility that the GAA HQ could host a fixture in the next few years. If so it's likely to feature the Pittsburgh side -- Steelers' owner Dan Rooney has an excellent relationship with the GAA.

"Tentative discussions have been held and nothing is definite," said Croke Park stadium director Peter McKenna. "But the GAA have an excellent personal relationship with Dan Rooney and as far as I know some talks about bringing his team here for an NFL game were held. Whether anything comes of those talks remains to be seen, but there have been some friendly conversations between the GAA and the Rooney family.

"As we know, American Football has already been held in the stadium over the years and the NFL are keen to hold more games outside of America. With the approval of the GAA's Management Committee, a game could be held here again but the use of Croke Park for other sports is ultimately a matter for Central Council."

Last year, Wembley was packed to capacity for the clash of the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants and a similar event in Croke Park would easily bring in 82,000 people.

"As American Football is a non-competitor of the GAA I would not foresee any major impediment," the Croke Park stadium director added. "I would feel the staging of American Football would be a reasonable request if Central Council were asked to consider it. With the holding of boxing bouts and the Special Olympics -- and indeed American Football in the past -- we have seen that Croke Park has held other non-competitive sporting events with great success."

The Steelers have thrived under Rooney's reign since he took charge of the team in the mid-Seventies. In fact, since 1972, they have been AFC Central Division champions 14 times, AFC champions six times, and Super Bowl champions five times. Back in 1996 Notre Dame beat Navy 54-27 at Croke Park in front of 38,651 spectators. This time, with the interest in NFL and the obvious novelty factor, the ground would be packed to the rafters.

Meanwhile it's expected that the Navy will return to the GAA HQ on September 1, 2012 to play Notre Dame in another chapter of the longest running college football rivalry in history.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/croker-nfl-game-could-be-on-cards-1269662.html

Well at least they're being honest as to the reasons behind the ban

GavinZac
20/01/2008, 3:58 PM
Bit of a snub to the American Football League of Ireland.

pete
20/01/2008, 5:24 PM
Don't think the interest would be there for an exhibition game. Bit different if regular season game like Wembley this year.

There was me thinking the GAA had an ideological reason for banning "foreign sports". Strange they have a rule that says foreign sports banned as opposed to competitor sports.

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 8:19 AM
Don't think the interest would be there for an exhibition game. Bit different if regular season game like Wembley this year.

There was me thinking the GAA had an ideological reason for banning "foreign sports". Strange they have a rule that says foreign sports banned as opposed to competitor sports.

I'll lay my cards on the table and tell you from the word go that I am a GAA fan and not an eircom league supporter (although I bear absolutely zero ill will towards soccer in this country) but i think you might find the actual text of Rule 42 (now known as rule 44 in the 2007 official guide) interesting in light of your above statement. There is actually no mention whatsoever of foreign games. Here is the rule in full:

Uses of Property
(a) All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls,
Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or
controlled by units of the Association shall be used
only for the purpose of or in connection with the
playing of the Games controlled by the Association,
and for such other purposes not in conflict with the
Aims and Objects of the Association, that may be
sanctioned from time to time by the Central Council.
(b) Grounds controlled by Association units shall not be
used or permitted to be used, for Horse Racing,
Greyhound Racing, or for Field Games other than
those sanctioned by Central Council.

The reason I posted this is not to start a GAA v Soccer bunfight, merely to point out that (going by the rulebook at least) there is nothing hypocritical about the GAA allowing American Football into Croke Park as it is not perceived to be "in conflict with the aims and objects of the Association," i.e. it is not a competing sport.

Lionel Ritchie
21/01/2008, 8:39 AM
Myself and a young lady of similarly debauched morality used one of their handball alleys for a sporting fixture not controlled by the association once upon a yesteryear. :eek:

:cool:

noby
21/01/2008, 8:44 AM
I thought one of their aims and objectives was to screw people over.

pete
21/01/2008, 9:23 AM
[B][I]Uses of Property
(a) All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls,
Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or
controlled by units of the Association shall be used
only for the purpose of or in connection with the
playing of the Games controlled by the Association,
and for such other purposes not in conflict with the
Aims and Objects of the Association, that may be
sanctioned from time to time by the Central Council.
(b) Grounds controlled by Association units shall not be
used or permitted to be used, for Horse Racing,
Greyhound Racing, or for Field Games other than
those sanctioned by Central Council.

Interesting. What are the aims & objectives (officially) of the association? If getting FF elected was in line with association objectives could they hold political rallies in GAA facilities?

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 9:29 AM
Interesting. What are the aims & objectives (officially) of the association? If getting FF elected was in line with association objectives could they hold political rallies in GAA facilities?

Officially? To have comely maidens pucking a ball around at every crossroads in this fair isle ag labhairt as gaeilge.
Unofficially? World domination.

gspain
21/01/2008, 10:23 AM
That is the correct wording for the rule albeit ther eis an amendment now to allow the use of Croke Park for football and rugby while Lansdowne road is being redeveloped.

This rule does not explain why American Football is allowed (it has been played in Croke Park since at least 1953) and sports other than horse racing are not.

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 10:41 AM
It does. The use of Croke Park for american football games was sanctioned by Central Council and the sport itself is deemed not to be in conflict with the aims and objectives of the association. It's not played to any great extent in this country and they are purely exhibition games anyway so it is not a competitor. It's quite simple.

pete
21/01/2008, 11:03 AM
I agree with Jinxy - people have now reverted to sarcasm simply becasue it has been pointed out that they have been wrong all along.
None of ye bothered to read rule 42 before lads and everybody assumed it was "something to do with the GAA feckers not allowing foreign sports in Croke Park".
Now that it has been pointed out that the word "foreign" wasn't even in the wording all ye can come up with is poor attempts at sarcasm and humour - pathetic really.

I think you will find that it has been GAA people that have used the "foreign sports" tag line in the past. I think we all knew that they did want soccer played there as a competitor & the wording of the rule does mention that.

The organisation of most sports organisations is to get as many people as possible playing their sports. The IRFU have never felt that playing a few soccer games in Lansdowne Road stop people from playing rugby.

gspain
21/01/2008, 11:10 AM
It does. The use of Croke Park for american football games was sanctioned by Central Council and the sport itself is deemed not to be in conflict with the aims and objectives of the association. It's not played to any great extent in this country and they are purely exhibition games anyway so it is not a competitor. It's quite simple.

What aims and objectives of the associaition are football and rugby in conflict with?

Why is American football not in conflict with these aims and objectives of the association?

jebus
21/01/2008, 11:11 AM
God the GAA just seem more pathetic with each passing year don't they?

osarusan
21/01/2008, 11:17 AM
What aims and objectives of the associaition are football and rugby in conflict with?

Why is American football not in conflict with these aims and objectives of the association?

To the first question, the aim of the GAA to promote itself as efficiently as possible? Football and rugby compete for the same pool of players, and providing exposure to football and rugby through the use of Croke Park would mean that the number of players who choose GAA over the other sports might be decreased.

To the second question, American football is not a serious competitor regarding the pool of players. The number of players who will choose NFL over GAA would be minimal.

gspain
21/01/2008, 11:21 AM
To the first question, the aim of the GAA to promote itself as efficiently as possible? Football and rugby compete for the same pool of players, and providing exposure to football and rugby through the use of Croke Park would mean that the number of players who choose GAA over the other sports might be decreased.

To the second question, American football is not a serious competitor regarding the pool of players. The number of players who will choose NFL over GAA would be minimal.

Can you quote those aims and objectives?

osarusan
21/01/2008, 11:24 AM
Can you quote those aims and objectives?

No, it is just my idea, but I think that it is an aim of any organisation to promote itself as efficiently as possible.

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 11:30 AM
Here you go so.

Basic Aim
The Association is a National Organisation which has as its
basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a
32 County Ireland through the preservation and
promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

National Games
The Association shall promote and control the National
games of Hurling, Gaelic Football, Handball and
Rounders, and such other games, as may be sanctioned
and approved by Annual Congress.

Additional Aims
(a) The Association shall actively support the Irish
language, traditional Irish dancing, music, song, and
other aspects of Irish culture. It shall foster an
awareness and love of the national ideals in the people
of Ireland, and assist in promoting a community spirit
through its clubs.
(b) The Association shall support the promotion of
Camogie and Ladies Gaelic Football.
(c) The Association shall support Irish Industry. All
trophies and playing equipment shall be of Irish
manufacture. Penalty for non-observance €200.
Irish paper shall be used for all official documents and
correspondence. Documents not complying shall be
ruled out of order.

Dedication
The Association and its resources shall be used for and
dedicated solely to the above aims.

Lionel Ritchie
21/01/2008, 11:41 AM
Just out of curiosity ...when DID the GAA cut rounders and handball adrift?

I have never, ever seen any team kitted out playing rounders anywhere. I remember seeing handball on telly back in the 1970's and we used play something called rounders with a tennis racket out on the green as a kid and it appeared to be a makey-uppy version of a couple of pre-existing higher profile codes (not at all unlike so-called Gaelic Football in that regard actually) ;).

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 11:45 AM
Handball is alive and well (we do very well at international level too). Rounders was very popular when I was in primary school but beyond kids of that age I don't know if it really exists at any meaningful level. I've certainly never seen adults playing it. One for the chisellers.

Thunderblaster
21/01/2008, 11:50 AM
Sure there is indoor football and basketball played in these great bogball halls that are funded by the great big shots of the bogball organisation. Football is a gentlemans game played by ruffians. Rugby is a ruffians game played by ruffians and bogball is a boghoppers game played by boghoppers!!!;):D;)

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 12:08 PM
Don't forget the stickfighters.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 12:10 PM
Having read the aims of the Association I can't see why any one sport would be more"in conflict with the Aims & Objects of the Association" than another?

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 12:18 PM
It's all about maximising market share. You'd hardly expect the Sony shop to start stocking X-Boxes in the morning.

Jerry The Saint
21/01/2008, 12:19 PM

Honestly:confused: You don't think things are better now - Ireland vs. Brazil in Croke Park in 17 days time - than in the time of the ban when there were 'spotters' at soccer games to see if any GAA members were in attendance? Obviously there's plenty of idiots still involved (as in all sports) but I can't see how things are getting worse.

Sure there is indoor football and basketball played in these great bogball halls that are funded by the great big shots of the bogball organisation. Football is a gentlemans game played by ruffians. Rugby is a ruffians game played by ruffians and bogball is a boghoppers game played by boghoppers!!!

Football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians,
Rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen,
Gaelic is a ruffian's game played by ruffians
But Hurling is a gentleman's game played by gentlemen. :)

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 12:46 PM
I think you will find that it has been GAA people that have used the "foreign sports" tag line in the past. I think we all knew that they did want soccer played there as a competitor & the wording of the rule does mention that.

The organisation of most sports organisations is to get as many people as possible playing their sports. The IRFU have never felt that playing a few soccer games in Lansdowne Road stop people from playing rugby.

Are there many rugby clubs out around Finglas, Ballyfermott, Ballymun, Phibsboro, Cabra etc.? Soccer does not compete significantly with rugby for players as the playing pools are drawn from completely different demographics and geographical areas. This is particularly true in urban centres. Rugby isn't even played in a huge number of secondary schools (outside the fee-paying system) whereas soccer and GAA are omnipresent.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 12:55 PM
It's all about maximising market share. You'd hardly expect the Sony shop to start stocking X-Boxes in the morning.Agreed thats common sense but again, the association rules don't actually state this.

Its also ridiculously narrow minded and protectionist to assume another sport is contrary to the aims of your own sport simply by dint of it drawing from the same player pool.

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 1:01 PM
Protectionist - yes, narrow minded - I'd say pragmatic.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 1:05 PM
Protectionist - yes, narrow minded - I'd say pragmatic.
If its so pragmatic why are they the only sports organisation in the world I can think off (ever since rugby union went professional and improved allowed free transfer between league and union codes) that adopt such an attitude?

kingdom hoop
21/01/2008, 1:26 PM
If its so pragmatic why are they the only sports organisation in the world I can think off (ever since rugby union went professional and improved allowed free transfer between league and union codes) that adopt such an attitude?

Clearly because they are probably the only sporting organisation in the world that are, quite explicitly in their manifesto, used for patriotic and political reasons.

Interestingly enough the Italian fascists had similar thinking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volata) once upon a time.

The difference there being that fascism died out relatively quickly as an embracing ideal but Irish nationalism has proved more malleable.

In other words, you can't lose sight of the indelible (and unparalleled I'd imagine) imprint history has had on Ireland's sporting fabric.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 1:28 PM
In other words, you can't lose sight of the indelible (and unparalleled I'd imagine) imprint history has had on Ireland's sporting fabric.I'd re-state that slightly... I can, but they clearly can't. ;)

kingdom hoop
21/01/2008, 1:48 PM
I'd re-state that slightly... I can, but they clearly can't. ;)

:) Right well if you are, then would you agree that you're of a similar ilk to many in the GAA; holding a view detached from reality?

Jerry The Saint
21/01/2008, 1:54 PM
English rugby union wouldn't let soccer play in Twickenham and forced them to play their showpiece games in a different country for years.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 2:00 PM
:) Right well if you are, then would you agree that you're of a similar ilk to many in the GAA; holding a view detached from reality?
Depends how one views reality, eg from a national or global perspective.

I try and keep my sporting interests completely detached from politics and other such baggage, otherwise I'm not sure I could reconcile being a fan of a number of different sports, at the same time.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 2:04 PM
English rugby union wouldn't let soccer play in Twickenham and forced them to play their showpiece games in a different country for years.I thought that was a planning permission issue re the local residents? Twickenham also doesn't hold concerts for that reason, despite the RFU being in bucketloads of debt when the stadium was built.

kingdom hoop
21/01/2008, 2:10 PM
I try and keep my sporting interests completely detached from politics and other such baggage

That's your approach; you choose to ignore it. Others, they choose to leverage it. Neither is a good foundation for arguments in my view.

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 2:13 PM

Name another sports organisation that is in a similar position.

gspain
21/01/2008, 2:29 PM
Here you go so.

Basic Aim
The Association is a National Organisation which has as its
basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a
32 County Ireland through the preservation and
promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

National Games
The Association shall promote and control the National
games of Hurling, Gaelic Football, Handball and
Rounders, and such other games, as may be sanctioned
and approved by Annual Congress.

Additional Aims
(a) The Association shall actively support the Irish
language, traditional Irish dancing, music, song, and
other aspects of Irish culture. It shall foster an
awareness and love of the national ideals in the people
of Ireland, and assist in promoting a community spirit
through its clubs.
(b) The Association shall support the promotion of
Camogie and Ladies Gaelic Football.
(c) The Association shall support Irish Industry. All
trophies and playing equipment shall be of Irish
manufacture. Penalty for non-observance €200.
correspondence. Documents not complying shall be
ruled out of order.

Dedication
The Association and its resources shall be used for and
dedicated solely to the above aims.

thanks for posting these.

Can anybody explain why Football and rugby would be counter to these aims and american football and boxing would not be.

Should Neil Diamond and Michael Jackson be allowed to use GAA grounds to promote foreign music/dance and thus turn the youth of ireland away from our traditional music and dance.

I actually beleive central council could have allowed football and rugby into Croke Park without amending Rule 42 based o nthe rulebook. It would have been political suicide though not to have the vote.

As for the GAA there is no doubt that the GAA has come a huge way since the early 70's in the Republic. You could maybe count out Cork here. People like tommy Kenoy and Sean Kelly did their organisation a huge service as did the Mr. woulfe who battled the ban for many years before eventually succeeding. The likes of Kennedy and Costelloe are now the exception rather than the rule.

shakermaker1982
21/01/2008, 3:50 PM
I just think it's sad that we all can't get along in this modern age. I follow all 3 codes and this bickering and sniggering back and forth mystifies me greatly. Bogball, you D4 posh c*** etc etc. Hilarious.

Jinxy
21/01/2008, 3:55 PM
thanks for posting these.

Can anybody explain why Football and rugby would be counter to these aims and american football and boxing would not be.

Should Neil Diamond and Michael Jackson be allowed to use GAA grounds to promote foreign music/dance and thus turn the youth of ireland away from our traditional music and dance.

Well, just take off your soccer hat for a second and look at it dispassionately. You are quite correct that boxing and american football on paper have as much or as little to do with Irish culture (depending on your viewpoint) as soccer and rugby. So it can't simply be cultural snobbery then can it? The competition issue seems to be too simplistic for some people, but I firmly believe that it is the prime reasoning for the restriction of the playing of other sports on GAA property.
One of the GAA's major selling points is the quality of its facilities around the country. Now I'm not talking about rickety provincial stadiums I'm talking about club grounds, centres of excellence etc. which have been built by communities nationwide who did their own fundraising and availed of government and GAA grant aid. I don't see what is stopping soccer clubs doing the same. It is very easy to say "Well let everyone use the facilities." Why? Give me one good reason. And something a bit better thought out than "with rising childhood obesity etc. we need to get kids active." I agree that this is desirable however the facilities are there for the kids to use. They just have to play hurling or football to do so. Soccer in this country is very popular. If the FAI downed tools tomorrow and headed off to Bermuda for a couple of months would that change? The point being that the major promotional tool soccer in Ireland has, is (ironically enough) soccer in England. Kids don't want to play for Bohs, or Shels or Shams when they grow up. They want to play for Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool. They are bombarded with images of the premiership night and day. THAT is what they aspire to and that is what the GAA is competing with. If the promotion of soccer in Ireland was the sole responsibility of the FAI it would be in an even worse state than it is now.
To be honest I take my hat off to most of you. You support your local team through thick and thin and ultimately I think there is far more satisfaction derived from that rather than fostering some tenuous link with a premiership club and convincing yourself it matters whether they win or lose. I didn't see Man Utd. taking an open top bus tour through Dublin when they won the title last year. Be that as it may, the GAA can't compete with the premiership on the basis of wages, TV money, sponsorship etc. So it competes on its own terms. Quality facilities in the community for the promotion of gaelic games (except rounders!). It is a pretty unique situation.
When people refer to other countries and how no other sporting organisations seem to have such rules, the simple fact of the matter is that a lot of sports couldn't share facilities with rival codes even if they wanted to. Could a hockey team ever use a soccer pitch? Could an NFL team play on a baseball field? Could basketball be played on a tennis court? It's not an issue with most other sports. In addition, it just so happens that soccer and rugby fields are too small to accommodate gaelic games. So basically, he who builds the biggest house gets the most requests from people wanting to sleep in his various, comfy bedrooms. Refuse the requests and you are deemed mean-spirited. Build a one bedroom flat and no one will ask.

pete
21/01/2008, 3:56 PM
As for the GAA there is no doubt that the GAA has come a huge way since the early 70's in the Republic. You could maybe count out Cork here. People like tommy Kenoy and Sean Kelly did their organisation a huge service as did the Mr. woulfe who battled the ban for many years before eventually succeeding. The likes of Kennedy and Costelloe are now the exception rather than the rule.

Sean Kelly was a GAA visionary.

correspondence. Documents not complying shall be ruled out of order.

I know these rules made a long time along but still funny.

I believe teams now wear Adidas jerseys?

Those rock 'n roll concerts have really turned the youngsters away from the glorious Irish music. :o

Jinxy
22/01/2008, 12:32 PM
Sean Kelly somehow seems to have taken on the mantle of Moses leading the hebrew slaves to the promised land in all of this. The fact of the matter is that there was overwhelming support nationwide for Croke Park to be opened up for the duration of the LR redevelopment. Delegates received mandates from their counties to support the temporary relaxation of rule 42 with regard to Croke Park. The same thing would have happened when it went to a vote years before if the government hadn't intervened at the last second in a vain attempt to rescue the Bertiebowl. I think it suits people of a certain mindset to believe that one man, a lone voice in the wilderness if you will, dragged the GAA kicking and screaming into the light. The fact of the matter is that you can watch the Irish soccer and rugby teams in Croke Park this year because the majority of GAA members said you could. Mr Kelly seems only too happy to sustain the myth that he was primarily responsible for this, but then again if I had a book to sell I might be tempted to do the same.

Lionel Ritchie
22/01/2008, 12:45 PM
A fair point respectfully acknowledged Jinxy.

shakermaker1982
22/01/2008, 1:11 PM
I like reading Jinxy's posts - stick around!

gspain
22/01/2008, 3:31 PM
Sean Kelly somehow seems to have taken on the mantle of Moses leading the hebrew slaves to the promised land in all of this. The fact of the matter is that there was overwhelming support nationwide for Croke Park to be opened up for the duration of the LR redevelopment. Delegates received mandates from their counties to support the temporary relaxation of rule 42 with regard to Croke Park. The same thing would have happened when it went to a vote years before if the government hadn't intervened at the last second in a vain attempt to rescue the Bertiebowl. I think it suits people of a certain mindset to believe that one man, a lone voice in the wilderness if you will, dragged the GAA kicking and screaming into the light. The fact of the matter is that you can watch the Irish soccer and rugby teams in Croke Park this year because the majority of GAA members said you could. Mr Kelly seems only too happy to sustain the myth that he was primarily responsible for this, but then again if I had a book to sell I might be tempted to do the same.

You are correct up to a point. There was overwhelming support within the GAA grassroots in the Republic. I'm not so sure re Northern Ireland. It was heartening to see the likes of Tommy Kenoy in Roscommon, the guy in Laois on RTE and many many many more who represented the ordinary GAA people.

However this support needed leadership and needed a focus. Sean Kelly provided that. He also had to take on the past presidents who had vetoed a previous proposal. In reality you are right and he didn't change too many minds but he did get the vote through. So good luck to him even if he did admit cheering for England against us at Italia90.

LeviathanNI
22/01/2008, 4:04 PM
Would there be that many interested in American Football do you think? I belive the tickets were costly enough for the match in Wembley (not to mention the state of the pitch afterwards..

Jinxy
22/01/2008, 4:14 PM
You are correct up to a point. There was overwhelming support within the GAA grassroots in the Republic. I'm not so sure re Northern Ireland. It was heartening to see the likes of Tommy Kenoy in Roscommon, the guy in Laois on RTE and many many many more who represented the ordinary GAA people.

However this support needed leadership and needed a focus. Sean Kelly provided that. He also had to take on the past presidents who had vetoed a previous proposal. In reality you are right and he didn't change too many minds but he did get the vote through. So good luck to him even if he did admit cheering for England against us at Italia90.

Was that in the book?! I don't deny he played a significant role in the process but in my opinion it was people like Tommy Kenoy who persistently raised the issue (even back when it wouldn't have been too fashionable to do so) that were largely responsible for what transpired. I think Sean Kelly (cute Kerry hoor that he is) felt which way the wind was blowing, knew the support was there and saw the amendment through. You are right that if you took the Northern counties as a separate grouping there would not have been majority support, but the reasons for that represent a whole other basket of kettles of a different colour that I have no interest in getting into!

gspain
22/01/2008, 7:31 PM
Was that in the book?! I don't deny he played a significant role in the process but in my opinion it was people like Tommy Kenoy who persistently raised the issue (even back when it wouldn't have been too fashionable to do so) that were largely responsible for what transpired. I think Sean Kelly (cute Kerry hoor that he is) felt which way the wind was blowing, knew the support was there and saw the amendment through. You are right that if you took the Northern counties as a separate grouping there would not have been majority support, but the reasons for that represent a whole other basket of kettles of a different colour that I have no interest in getting into!

Haven't bought the book. I'm not that big a fan. :D

He admitted that i na couple of interviews. Said he thought it would be bad for the GAA if we did well in the World Cup so wanted us to lose. Then a year later after some fantastic game he realised that the GAA was strong enough not to depend on others failing and then felt it was right to showcase Croke Park and Gaelic Games to the world.

In fairness to SK he did push the matter and I don't think it was a case of seeing how the wind was blowing. He certainly is the bete noir of the anti group.

Jinxy
22/01/2008, 8:30 PM
Haven't bought the book. I'm not that big a fan. :D

He admitted that i na couple of interviews. Said he thought it would be bad for the GAA if we did well in the World Cup so wanted us to lose. Then a year later after some fantastic game he realised that the GAA was strong enough not to depend on others failing and then felt it was right to showcase Croke Park and Gaelic Games to the world.

In fairness to SK he did push the matter and I don't think it was a case of seeing how the wind was blowing. He certainly is the bete noir of the anti group.

He must have been talking about the Dublin-Meath 4 match saga in '91. I'd love to know what the GAA would be like now if that first game had ended in a 1 point win for Dublin.

micls
22/01/2008, 8:49 PM
It's all about maximising market share. You'd hardly expect the Sony shop to start stocking X-Boxes in the morning.

Yes but this is a sporting organisation not a business.

Maybe I'm naive but for me sporting organisations(whatever about the clubs within them) should all have the common aim of getting kids to play some sport, be it hurling, football, real football etc.

For example the FAI are very good in this regard at primary school and underage level. Of course they would prefer that the kids chose their sport but they encourage children to try other sports also.

The most important thing being that they are active and partaking in healthy competition.

Rocky77
23/01/2008, 12:05 AM

Yeah, they should try and be more like the FAI. Now those cats really are tuned in...