PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Sports in Croke Park

Pages : 1 [2]

Thunderblaster
23/01/2008, 11:28 AM
Going by a newspaper article in October 2006, it is against the law to be anti-bogball in Mayo, :rolleyes:as I learned from reading that article from a Mayo newspaper and being called an idiot by the journalist in question for castigating the society of bogball and calling the All Ireland Final the King of the Bog final. However, the journalist in question saw the bait and took the bait, hook, line and sinker.:D However, from the safety of a Liverpool computer, it is easy to ridicule the aims of bogball without getting a slap across the back of the head. Interesting to read the aims of the bogball society. Does following football and not bogball makes us any less Irish?? For me, no. I'm an Irishman and a football man, and I do not need bogball to confirm my identity. Association Football Rules OK!!!!:D

osarusan
23/01/2008, 12:05 PM
being called an idiot by the journalist in question for castigating the society of bogball and calling the All Ireland Final the King of the Bog final.

If you actually used those words (in bold) then the journalist's description would be pretty accurate.

Torn-Ado
23/01/2008, 12:13 PM
If you actually used those words (in bold) then the journalist's description would be pretty accurate.

LOL!..

monutdfc
23/01/2008, 12:17 PM
"Who Stole Our Game" compares the strategic development of GAA compared to association football and the impact this had on the 2 games. The GAA was forward-looking and had a succession of 5-year plans, implemented by top-notch administrators. Association football had...well, the FAI... which until recently was an association of well and not-so-well meaning amateurs each with their own agenda.

Another difference between how the sports have progressed is the millstone that is professionalism around the neck of association football. Hundreds of thousands have been spent on players' wages that otherwise would have gone into facilities and games promotion, as they do in the GAA.

Thirdly, the GAA has created an establishment position for itself (that was not always the case). As my father said when the €60M was given to Croke Park (and yes, I know it was lottery money, but lottery money is only taxpayers money by another name, as spending it here makes a shortfall filled with tax money elsewhere) "the GAA - Fianna Fail at play"! The FAI, under Delaney (who is undisputedly a superb politician) is playing catch-up.

There are bigots in the GAA - being from Monaghan I know plenty of them. And it was indisputably bigoted in the past. But using phrases like "bogball" is bigotry as well; kids just want to play sport, and if they excel at more than one then at 16 or so they have to make a choice. For most kids the choice comes naturally to them - the game they prefer, are better at, the one that mgiht have the promise of a career,whatever. But prior to then they should be encouraged, not discouraged, to play any sport. In many parts of the country there's now an implicit, if not explicit, agreement between gaa and ass. football as to what days or nights are designated for which sport, and that's great imo.

Sorry to wander off-topic, an I'm no apologist for the GAA, but rather than being disparaging there's a lot to be learned from the GAA

Ceirtlis
23/01/2008, 12:31 PM
I believe teams now wear Adidas jerseys?

Kerry wore Adidas jerseys for awhile but they were made in Ireland. They are back wearing O'Neills now but they have in the past had there training kit etc done by Adidas. The three manufacturers are Azurri from Waterford, Gaelic Gear from the North and O'Neills.

Jinxy
23/01/2008, 1:48 PM
Was it George Byrne that invented the terms bogball and stickfighting (or is that an urban legend)? Sounds like the sort of nonsense he'd come out with.

geysir
23/01/2008, 2:27 PM
Yes but this is a sporting organisation not a business.

Maybe I'm naive but for me sporting organisations(whatever about the clubs within them) should all have the common aim of getting kids to play some sport, be it hurling, football, real football etc.

For example the FAI are very good in this regard at primary school and underage level. Of course they would prefer that the kids chose their sport but they encourage children to try other sports also.

The most important thing being that they are active and partaking in healthy competition.
Well said.
But I would have compared the founding/aims of the GAA to Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann rather than a Sony Corporation :)
All schools should have a PE teacher and organise the sports, its
up to the kids to pursue what suits them.
Imo Irish soccer and the GAA face the same threat re popularity and attendance so they have a shared agenda on many levels. Irish soccer is part of Irish culture.

On opening of gaelic pitches to competing sports, I know my own home town club rent out facilities to the local soccer club, I know other clubs in the county do so, yet the county delegates were mandated to vote against the temp relaxing of Croke PK:confused:
'Tis a strange country.

Thunderblaster
23/01/2008, 2:33 PM
Irish soccer is part of Irish culture.

Brilliant sentence. Like I said in my earlier post that being an association football disciple does not make one any less Irish.

Jinxy
23/01/2008, 2:38 PM
Brilliant sentence. Like I said in my earlier post that being an association football disciple does not make one any less Irish.

Did someone ever tell you otherwise?

Thunderblaster
24/01/2008, 12:08 PM

Yep, these "foreign sports" eejits.

GavinZac
24/01/2008, 12:10 PM

Not just myself, but I've seen parents tell it to junior infants. There's a certain element of religous sowing the seeds of hatred at an early age tactics there.

Lionel Ritchie
24/01/2008, 12:38 PM
Not just myself, but I've seen parents tell it to junior infants. There's a certain element of religous sowing the seeds of hatred at an early age tactics there.

We'd similar literally hammered into us in primary school ...and I'm not talking back in the fog either -this is in the 1980's. The only field games permitted to be played on school property -in or out of school hours, during PE lessons, breaks or whatever were GAA codes. Needless to say there were no Rugby or Football teams fielded by the school either. I don't think it counts as an exception but they did play basketball.

This wasn't a Gaelscoil whose principle was some Peadar MacArmalite either. It was CBS Hassetts Cross. Well known in the city and pretty much in the shadow (well it is now anyway) of Thomond Park Rugby ground.

A fine school in all other respects by the way ...the very first boys primary school in the land to teach home economics! No Sh1t! :)

GavinZac
24/01/2008, 1:17 PM
This was one of those "overheard on the bus" stories. A young fella asked his mother if he could go "training" (obviously a muckabout for the kids) with the local soccer club. His mother responded by saying that soccer was a foreign game and she'd send him over to Na Piarsiagh. The young fella didnt have a clue, and asked what that was. "Its hurling and football, thats what irish people play, not soccer". The young fella seemed a bit puzzled but accepted this with the innocence of his age.

Thunderblaster
24/01/2008, 2:39 PM
His mother responded by saying that soccer was a foreign game and she'd send him over to Na Piarsiagh. The young fella didnt have a clue, and asked what that was. "Its hurling and football, thats what irish people play, not soccer". The young fella seemed a bit puzzled but accepted this with the innocence of his age.

Was this lady a culchie?

Thunderblaster
24/01/2008, 2:40 PM
We'd similar literally hammered into us in primary school ...and I'm not talking back in the fog either -this is in the 1980's. The only field games permitted to be played on school property -in or out of school hours, during PE lessons, breaks or whatever were GAA codes. Needless to say there were no Rugby or Football teams fielded by the school either. I don't think it counts as an exception but they did play basketball.

This wasn't a Gaelscoil whose principle was some Peadar MacArmalite either. It was CBS Hassetts Cross. Well known in the city and pretty much in the shadow (well it is now anyway) of Thomond Park Rugby ground.

A fine school in all other respects by the way ...the very first boys primary school in the land to teach home economics! No Sh1t! :)

What would have happened if you were caught playing the proper game of football?

GavinZac
24/01/2008, 4:18 PM
Was this lady a culchie?

No. Well, she was on the #3 Bus going to faranree and she had that accent so I'd imagine she was a Cork North Central character.

Lionel Ritchie
24/01/2008, 7:50 PM
What would have happened if you were caught playing the proper game of football?

Clatter/lecture combo ...impromptu tutorial (never requested) in how to scoop ...clatter/lecture combo reprise.

sullanefc
27/01/2008, 2:43 AM

This is a practise still in existance in many schools. I know a school that discourages the kids from playing soccer at break times, let alone PE classes.

Basketball seems to be the accepted sport by these GAA orientated teachers.

oldyouth
25/02/2008, 8:46 PM
I used to get angry hearing about our 'National Games' and everything else being foreign sports. Now I just encourage the gaaaah heads to make announcements at every opportunity as they can't help themselves appearing to be eejits. It can only help The Beautiful Game.

By the way, a good drinking buddy of mine is just back from his factory in Romania where he has being manufacturing hurleys for the last 2 years. I don't think he was supplying the local market:D Does that conflict with their Nationalistic ethos???

Rocky77
28/02/2008, 11:45 AM
they can't help themselves appearing to be eejits.

I really don't know what to say oldyouth

boovidge
28/02/2008, 2:28 PM
Basketball seems to be the accepted sport by these GAA orientated teachers.

so foreign's alright, just not english ;)

noby
28/02/2008, 3:00 PM
By the way, a good drinking buddy of mine is just back from his factory in Romania where he has being manufacturing hurleys for the last 2 years. I don't think he was supplying the local market:D Does that conflict with their Nationalistic ethos???

Lidl are launching a range, it seems.

paul_oshea
28/02/2008, 3:30 PM
up the GAAAAAAH!! :D

Lionel Ritchie
29/02/2008, 10:38 AM
so foreign's alright, just not english ;)

Football is not foreign. It's our game as much as it's anybodies.* Nor is it an "English" sport. They (that is to say -some people who happened to be in England) wrote down some rules to try and define and regularise "the game" (and I thank them for doing so) which was being played with considerable variations in rules and customs at local, regional, provincial and national levels all over England, Britain, Ireland, mainland Europe and beyond.

England and it's FA's contribution has been immense but -to refer to a popular myth -they no more "Gave Football to the World" than Mike Nesmith from the Monkees gave the world Tippex.

*Hence the term "Gaelic Football" is at best misleading and at worst mischievious. GAA code football (my preferred description) holds no more of a franchise on "Gaelicness/Irishness/Whatever" than the brand new code I've just dreamt up called "Irish-Mega-Gael-Ball-Fisting" which under the articles of it's administrative association -the just now formed "Irish-Mega-Gael-Ball-Fisting Athletic Association" I hereby claim to be the true, antique form of Irish Football.

OwlsFan
02/03/2008, 4:21 PM
And is hurling cricket played by savages :D ?

Macy
04/03/2008, 8:20 AM
Lidl are launching a range, it seems.
Called ProGaa :). Obviously know whats coming down the line after the thin end of the wedge that is the player grants...

Incidentally, anyone see Bertie get presented with a couple hurleys when in Poland as they (Poland) supply over 30% of the market. Plus there's apparently other eastern european producers (Romania as well I think I heard) under cutting the traditional irish producers.

Lionel Ritchie
04/03/2008, 10:25 AM
I think there was a feature on a producer in Slovakia on some sports show or other last year.

oldyouth
05/03/2008, 12:46 PM
Called ProGaa :). Obviously know whats coming down the line after the thin end of the wedge that is the player grants...

Incidentally, anyone see Bertie get presented with a couple hurleys when in Poland as they (Poland) supply over 30% of the market. Plus there's apparently other eastern european producers (Romania as well I think I heard) under cutting the traditional irish producers.

The Romanian factory churning them out is run by a Wexford man. He is closing it down soon and moving over to Austria. Something to do with sourcing quality local Ash

Block G Raptor
05/03/2008, 4:20 PM
The Romanian factory churning them out is run by a Wexford man. He is closing it down soon and moving over to Austria. Something to do with sourcing quality local Ash

So basically he's striped Romania of it's ash now he's moving on ;)

pete
05/03/2008, 6:03 PM
Some Irish producer was on the radio moaning about Bertie endorsing foreign hurleys saying the GAA is Irish. His logic doesn't really hold up as surely is GAA people felt the same way they would purchase his Irish hurley instead.

ramsfan
05/03/2008, 7:19 PM
with all the talk of foreign sports blah blah the gaa/croke park have turned a profit of 15 million euro double so they may not like but look at the money they now have available for game development