PDA

View Full Version : Ray Houghton on investors in the eL

sullanefc
20/01/2008, 11:48 AM
I never really had much time for him as a pundit or commentator. He always manages to say something obvious or annoying, but I must say, he has gone up in my estimation today.

From today's star:

IRISH BUSINESS NEEDS TO HELP HOME CLUBS

Ray Houghton has called on Ireland's wealthiest businessmen to keep their money at home and invest in the eircom League at a time when Irish backers are bankrolling Sunderland, Celtic and even Peterborough United.

Houghton yearns for the day when and Irish club competes in the knock-out stages of Europe's premier competition.

He knows that will take serious investment in the domestic game, but he believes there is an onus on entrepeneurs to keep their football investments this side of the Irish Sea.

"Nothing would please me more than to see an Irish team that actually gets into the Champions League." the Euro '88 hero told Star Sunday.

"Irish football and the Irish team needs the eircom League to improve, and to achieve that, we need investment and we need money to be pumped into the domestic game here at home.

"We need investment to bring new players in and to keep the best youngsters here in Ireland, rather than send them over to England where they might not get a chance at first team level.

"Let's build a league that allows Irish football to keep them here, let them play here, improve here and get a good league going. I can't wait for the day when an eircom League side is in the league stage of the European Cup on a regular basis."

Houghton, a man who knows a thing or two about realising Euro dreams, believes the Champions League dream is possible, but only when Irish businessmen cop onto the potential value of their own game.

MONEY

"If I was a big money man here in Ireland, I would get more satisfaction out of putting my money into my own game than pumping my money into a club in England or Scotland where the locals get the benefits of it, not the Irish fans." added Houghton.

"Why not put the money into Ireland? If an Irish team qualifies for the Champions League, then you'll get more enjoyment out of that than anything else.

"Everyone benefits when the Irish international team does well, and it will be the same when an eircom League side makes that breakthrough. If an irish side gets into the Champions League, then the place will kick off. That's what we all want to see."

Next to the article is a pic of Quinner applauding the Sunderland fans.

NeilMcD
20/01/2008, 3:10 PM
Just gone up in my view fair play Ray

Den Perry
20/01/2008, 5:12 PM
I always thought he was a pain in the a ss, not any more....

pete
20/01/2008, 5:21 PM
Who paid him to say that? Has he ever attended a LOI game?

Lim till i die
20/01/2008, 5:22 PM
But what about his beloved Scotland??

Still nice to know our highly paid monkey can occasionally follow the organ grinders tune

harry crumb
20/01/2008, 5:23 PM
I remember his slagging off John O'Flynn when he played for the u-21s down in Waterford, saying he wasnt used to this standard.

This was the old JOF. He was pure class.

Martinho II
20/01/2008, 5:29 PM
fair play ray. in fairness to ray he was very good to us when he turned up at the clubs corporate dinner in ballsbridge a few years ago...

Lionel Ritchie
20/01/2008, 5:53 PM
It's good that he said it regardless of whether or not he's ever attended a LOI match. It's been pointed out before that if the individuals who put two million quid into Carlisle (for no evident return I can see) had put their money into Cork, Derry, Bohs, St Pats or pre-melt-down Shels ...they'd likely have a team in the group stages of the CL now.

Woody
20/01/2008, 6:00 PM
Surely Ray's got a few bob that he could invest in a LoI club 'eh?

Neish
20/01/2008, 6:02 PM
Well said Ray, but Its kinda embarassing that it takes a scots man to call for this?. No wonder Killkenny had to withdraw from the league and a few other clubs roudf the country are in big trouble.

Ireland4ever
20/01/2008, 6:51 PM
This mans a pain in the neck, who does he think he is telling lads what they should and should not be doing with their OWN money. An easy article to write to get alot of people to say ''Jeez that Ray Houghtan's a sound lad, look what he said about LOI''.... If he cares so much why doesnt he put some of his own money where is mouth is.

Ray Houghtan, provided some unreal memorable moments as an Irish player, but as pundit he's abysmal and i wish he'd p!ss off, cant stand listening to his whining tone.

Anto McC
20/01/2008, 6:54 PM
He's still a cockhead.

dfx-
20/01/2008, 6:55 PM
He's still a cockhead.

Agreed.

Soper
20/01/2008, 6:59 PM
I think he is right, and people should stop moaning. Would ye prefer he wrote an article mocking the league?

pineapple stu
20/01/2008, 7:01 PM
fair play ray. in fairness to ray he was very good to us when he turned up at the clubs corporate dinner in ballsbridge a few years ago...
Yeah, him and Trevor Steven went to UCD's dinner last year too. Think they came straight from The Premiership.

dcfcsteve
21/01/2008, 12:25 AM
As an aside - who's the Irishman that's invested in Peterborough ?

The Posh's latest owner tried to buy AFC Wimbledon just before he bought them, and the club rejected the offer. I can't see Peterborough going too far up the footballing ladder.

pete
21/01/2008, 9:28 AM

I presume he got paid for it?

Separate topic but he is the worse pundit currently on tv.

noby
21/01/2008, 9:42 AM
If only it was a separate topic, Pete. There seems to be a bit of "he can shove his views on eL investment because he's a ****, scottish, pundit" on this thread. I say fair play to him for mentioning it.

Stuttgart88
21/01/2008, 9:53 AM
I remember his slagging off John O'Flynn when he played for the u-21s down in Waterford, saying he wasnt used to this standard.

This was the old JOF. He was pure class.If we're talking of the same game (Russia, we won 2-0) I thought Ray was right I'm afraid, or at least that JOF was poor.

I think he's right on this issue too. It's ok for Quinn to have an interest - he loved it at Sunderland which is fair enough, but for the others it's a pure vanity investment.

Stuttgart88
21/01/2008, 9:54 AM

The Posh's latest owner tried to buy AFC Wimbledon just before he bought them, and the club rejected the offer. I can't see Peterborough going too far up the footballing ladder.
Darragh MacAnthony, made a mint in Spanish and other foreign property. I think he also owns the Overseas Property TV channel.

dcfcsteve
21/01/2008, 10:23 AM
Some of the comments on here about Houghton are just childish to be fair.

Bottom line is that the EL is not in a position to turn its nose up to any sort of positive talk in the media. Particularly not when it comes from an international 'hero' who - let's face it - has earned the ear of ordinary members of the public.

His comments could therefore have more of an impact on attitudes to the league than any number of average EL games televised live in front of poor crowds.

Also - it's feeble to come out with the 'if it's such a good idea, why doesn't he put his own money in' retort. Houghton does not currently invest in football anywhere, and is merely pointing out that Irish people who do chose to do so outside the country. He's therefore not part of the problem, but is still entitled to commentate on it.

Anto McC
21/01/2008, 10:53 AM
Some of the comments on here about Houghton are just childish to be fair.

If that comment is directed at me amongst others, i'd like to point out that i'm not turning my nose up at anything but i will say that one comment in favour doesn't erase all the snide, bitchy comments he's previously made and you know what? He's still not fookin Irish either.

dfx-
21/01/2008, 10:57 AM
Just because Roddy Collins might in some subversive universe come out with positive talk in the media about the eLOI it still means he's a cockhead.

Quite clearly random once-off positive talk is highly rated

amjl
21/01/2008, 11:51 AM

Darragh MacAnthony, made a mint in Spanish and other foreign property. I think he also owns the Overseas Property TV channel.

The guy is worth miilions apparently. AFAIK it's his dad thats Irish, & Darragh born & reared in England before moving Spain in his teens. Could be wrong tho, as I cant remeber exactly but it was all in FourFourTwo's Rich List a couple of months ago.

Deckydee
21/01/2008, 12:40 PM
He has gone up a knotch in my book. Now he is at knotch one ;)

Only joking, finally he said something that makes sense

dcfcsteve
21/01/2008, 1:17 PM
He's still not fookin Irish either.

Which matters how ? :confused:

In my vierw it makes his views even more powerful - ironically it's usually football people who aren't Irish who find our nation's obsession with foreign teams to be weird. It's only the Irish themselves that don't see anything strange about it.

dcfcsteve
21/01/2008, 1:21 PM
Just because Roddy Collins might in some subversive universe come out with positive talk in the media about the eLOI it still means he's a cockhead.

Roddy Collins could be talking about the price of bread and still be a cockhead. Football has nothing to do with it.

Quite clearly random once-off positive talk is highly rated

Correction - positive talk about our league is highly rated. We don't get enough of it and it is sorely needed from the type ofn people that Joe Premiership will listen to. Obviously I'd love it to be frequent talk - but I'd rather the odd positive comment than none.

Do you think our league is now worse off because of Houghton's comments ? Do you accept that his comments have at worst done no harm to the EL, and at best have been another small chip away at the rock of negative attitudes towards the EL ? If the latter, then why knock it - even if you don't like him personally ?

Martinho II
21/01/2008, 6:19 PM
[QUOTE=pete;858437]I presume he got paid for it?

indeed he did....

pixiehead
21/01/2008, 6:56 PM
He's still a cockhead.

Typical Dub Attitude. you wouldnt say no if an invester walked in your clubs door. Grow up:mad:

pixiehead
21/01/2008, 7:00 PM
Agreed.

Typical Dub Attitude. you wouldnt say no if an invester walked in your clubs door. Grow up:mad:

Anto McC
21/01/2008, 8:30 PM

Eh thats not my call, i don't get to make those decisions but i can say this if the invester was a cockhead, i can't say i'd be over the moon either.

Who are you trying to fool anyway?

sullanefc
21/01/2008, 9:10 PM
I presume he got paid for it?

indeed he did....

I know Ray Houghton has a Star column, but the piece I posted above was not part of any column. It was just a piece on it's own at the bottom of a page. So how do you know he got paid for it then???

Even if you read the article you would know that it wasn't his own column. It had quotes from him rather than the whole article being in first person.

pól-dcfc
21/01/2008, 9:20 PM
I know Ray Houghton has a Star column, but the piece I posted above was not part of any column. It was just a piece on it's own at the bottom of a page. So how do you know he got paid for it then???

Even if you read the article you would know that it wasn't his own column. It had quotes from him rather than the whole article being in first person.

I think they were talking about his appearance at the UCD bash...

pineapple stu
21/01/2008, 9:29 PM
Longford one. I can only assume we didn't pay him as he wasn't talking or anything - just joining in the meal. We're not the types to pay people to have dinner and do nothing. Longford, on the other hand...!

sullanefc
21/01/2008, 10:53 PM
I think they were talking about his appearance at the UCD bash...

My bad. Apologies :o

pete
22/01/2008, 12:12 PM
Longford one. I can only assume we didn't pay him as he wasn't talking or anything - just joining in the meal. We're not the types to pay people to have dinner and do nothing.

Just there for the free food :D

pineapple stu
22/01/2008, 4:17 PM
We're not the types to give people free food for nothing either!

Martinho II
22/01/2008, 6:10 PM
My bad. Apologies :o

apology accepted sullanefc blame my lack of communication skills for that then!