18/01/2008, 10:43 AM
very sad news

sporting fingal up i suppose

Block G Raptor
18/01/2008, 10:44 AM
Ah jaysus thats rotten luck. sad to see them go

Jofspring
18/01/2008, 10:50 AM
thats a pity, i liked travelling there for matches.

braysnumber1
18/01/2008, 10:59 AM
sad news. was expected though.

but we'll take their stand (the one from behind the goal)...

passinginterest
18/01/2008, 11:20 AM
Very sad. And yet more poor publicity for the league.
Bad new for Wexford Youths too. Sporting Fingal look very strong if they come up.

RĂ©iteoir
18/01/2008, 11:20 AM
Sad news - but best to withdraw for a short while now than in the throes of a winding up order.

I suppose it'll be Sp Fingal in to replace them - that's all we need for the League - another Dublin club

Block G Raptor
18/01/2008, 11:24 AM
Sad news - but best to withdraw for a short while now than in the throes of a winding up order.

I suppose it'll be Sp Fingal in to replace them - that's all we need for the League - another Dublin club

Where do SP Fingal play there games?

neville neville
18/01/2008, 11:26 AM
Morton Stadium Santry

placid casual
18/01/2008, 11:38 AM
sad to see kilkenny fold.
they always had a hard battle for the hearts & minds of kilkenny folk when its hurling all the way there.
ridiculous decision to promote a non-entity like sporting fingal when the only fan they will probably get is sheridan.
and look what happened to his last team !:eek:

Block G Raptor
18/01/2008, 11:41 AM
Morton Stadium Santry

Not a bad site. did rovers crowd go up or down on average when they played there? I'm asking coz i'm interested to see if the locals around there will show any interest in SP Fingal

placid casual
18/01/2008, 11:51 AM
crowds went down as far as i could see anyway.
not the happiest of places for us hoops.:
no doubt you have fonder memories of the place.:o

Tis-smeee
18/01/2008, 12:03 PM
Sad day, dont promote anyone leave them fight for promotion

Block G Raptor
18/01/2008, 12:03 PM
no doubt you have fonder memories of the place.:o

You could say that Yes.

Mark Breen
18/01/2008, 12:05 PM
At least they pullout out now instead of half way through the season like Dublin City..

ramsfan
18/01/2008, 12:12 PM
absolute shame, just shows the work rhatigan did, kept them goin for years when the wolf was at the door, then the year he has to give up they fold
next question what happens the ground, prime land will be kept or sold?

RonnieB
18/01/2008, 12:15 PM
Really sorry to see them go.

sligoman
18/01/2008, 12:17 PM
A sad day. Hopefully they'll be back in the future.

MojoPin
18/01/2008, 12:18 PM
absolute shame, just shows the work rhatigan did, kept them goin for years when the wolf was at the door, then the year he has to give up they fold

it says in the attached document buckley park will be kept as a football ground, and also its not prime land too far out of the city

Spoons
SP Fingal will do a helluva lot better than some more established clubs if they have signed some of the players rumoured to have put pen to paper...;)

Sheridan
Placid Casual - sod off.

I'm very sorry to see KK go as they fought the unequal struggle nobly for many years, but I don't quite get the hand-wringing and especially the favourable comparisons to Sporting Fingal (about whom we know next to nothing as yet.) If anything it just exposes the embarrassingly symbiotic relationship between alcohol and Irish sport; all KK had going for it, ultimately, was that it was a good place for a p1ss-up (which pleased Dubliners) and it wasn't in Dublin (which pleased culchies.)

It just goes to show that the regional franchise model espoused by practically everyone here is as flawed as any other; there was palpably, beyond any hint of ambiguity, no interest in senior football in Kilkenny, to the extent that it couldn't sustain a team at the barest subsistence level, even with the minimum of ambition and expenditure.

Hopefully a few seasons in the A League (whether that includes the forthcoming season or not) will rejuvenate the club. Ironically, they might be in a better position to harvest local junior talent at that level, which might stand to them if they return to the league.

monutdfc
18/01/2008, 12:23 PM
Delaney will look after the ground (he doesn;t seem too concerned about the Club mind):

"There's a question mark over Kilkenny and I've spoken to Jim about that. Whatever happens there, we have to make sure that the ground is there for Irish football and we'd be looking to develop that with him."
link (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fingal-ready-to-step-in-if-league-club-goes-under-1266310.html)

ramsfan
18/01/2008, 12:26 PM
good news about ground, hopefully it wont be looked after by the fai like they looked after bishopstown.

OneRedArmy
18/01/2008, 12:26 PM
It somewhat worrying that the smaller clubs that have invested in infrastructure and facilities seem to be the ones having financial issues, eg Kilkenny, Athlone and even Longford.

Raheny Red
18/01/2008, 12:30 PM
SP Fingal will do a helluva lot better than some more established clubs if they have signed some of the players rumoured to have put pen to paper...;)

Agreed. Hopefully there's betting put up for the first division soon :cool:

oldyouth
18/01/2008, 12:34 PM
It's a shame that KK find themselves in this position. We had great craic there last year and we could have started a real 'local derby' thing in time.

ramsfan
18/01/2008, 12:38 PM
pity alright would have bben good for south east football to have waterford, kilkenny and wexford in same league for a year would have created a buzz at derby time

L37Ultra
18/01/2008, 12:44 PM
Just what the League needs, another Dublin team :(

amjl
18/01/2008, 12:49 PM
Truely a dark day for the club & for the few supporters who did care about it. :(

The A Championship is not even looking like a possiblity this season now to make things even worse. Hopefully we can rise from the ashes & come back even stronger.

I really feel for Jimmy tho, with the amount of work he's put in over the past 4 decades, he must be absolutely gutted by this.

higgins
18/01/2008, 12:52 PM
Can anybody post up the reasons as to why Kilkenny had to drop out of the First Division ?

Magicme
18/01/2008, 1:00 PM
Sad to see it go down this route. Wont really miss the trip to Kilkenny though and Dublin is much handier for us but will miss having a team we were always battlling with.

rambler14
18/01/2008, 1:01 PM
What a shame.
Ramblers fans always enjoyed their trips to Buckley Park. Our abiding memory will be of our last visit to Kilkenny. A thouroughly professional 7-0 win.
I spoke to Jim Rhatigan that day and you could see he loved his football. I feel sorry for him more than the fans. He knew GAA was always gonna be number 1 in Kilkenny and I think the lack of support finally caught up with them today. RIP KILKENNY SOCCER.

Hitman
18/01/2008, 1:02 PM
Truely a dark day for the club & for the few supporters who did care about it. :(

The A Championship is not even looking like a possiblity this season now to make things even worse. Hopefully we can rise from the ashes & come back even stronger.

I really feel for Jimmy tho, with the amount of work he's put in over the past 4 decades, he must be absolutely gutted by this.

Commiserations. Has there been any sort of reaction to the news outside the fanbase, or has the club slipped away to the same level of apathy as it seems to have drawn from most of Kilkenny while it was there?

Ash
18/01/2008, 1:05 PM
Sad to see Kilkenny gone ... Buckley Park was always
our favourite away trip when we had the SC.
Even if we kept missing the turn up to the ground every time
we went there!!!!

We'll miss that turn in another way now!

centre mid
18/01/2008, 1:06 PM
not a shock but still a sad day for kilkenny and the league.

osarusan
18/01/2008, 1:18 PM
A shame to see them gone, I watched Limerick FC win there a couple of times, it was a friendly place. Just not enough people there.

Bunny Kelly
18/01/2008, 1:22 PM
I think the best hope for Kilkenny is they maintain the U-20 team & hopefully set up better links to local players & the Junior league, it's only through working with the Junior Teams they can have any success in the future & possibly bounce back.

Tenderloins
18/01/2008, 1:30 PM
An awful shame to see Kilkenny (or any other team) go.
Must leave an dreadful hole in many peoples lives.

sligoman
18/01/2008, 1:51 PM
Must leave an dreadful hole in many peoples lives.That's the problem, it won't. If more people cared about KC then this wouldn't have happened. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough support for them:(.

Pauro 76
18/01/2008, 2:15 PM
Shame to see Kilkenny City go. Im sure a lot of Town supporters would have enjoyed the trip there.

Ronnie
18/01/2008, 2:42 PM

Irrelevat in the extreme. If SP Fingal sign good players so what. The question for SP Fingalis not where they will be in 12 months time, its 5 years and 10 years time.
Kilkennt City was a club that was run on what appears a financially prudent if conservative manner. It is galling that due to lack of interest in running the club from other people eventually meant the club had to step back.
However, the comments of the eircom league director are nothing short of scandalous. The FAI raised the bar, no doubt about that, and despite the well quoted cash figures for prizemoney and tv money, how much of that ever makes its way to over the half the clubs. Last year, 3 premier division clubs got no prizemoney from the league (8 in the first I think). The 3 teams above that got 6k each. Those 6 teams all paid 17k in affiliation fees, a 70% jump from the previous season in fees. If anyone thinks in our league rewarding the successful sides and hammering the unsuccessful sides is a cure for the games ills their mental.

half_full
18/01/2008, 3:28 PM
At least they are (probably) going to be in the U-20 league, I know its not much but it is something for the fans.

Bunny Kelly
18/01/2008, 3:56 PM
That's the problem, it won't. If more people cared about KC then this wouldn't have happened. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough support for them:(.

There wasn't much to support either though, for all the prudence off the pitch there wasn't enough done on the pitch. I'm sure many people here will go on about supporting a team through thick & thin but when you have year after year dross on the pitch it can wear the best of fans down.

When Kilkenny beat Limerick in August it was the first time in over a year they had won at Buckley Park & they managed just 3 wins in the last 2 seasons at home. Also Pat Scully's side is the only one in the last 6 seasons that averaged more than a point a game, with records like that over a consistant time every club will be hurt by fallen attendences.

It's too easy to just blame people in Kilkenny for not going to matches

kingdomkerry
18/01/2008, 4:09 PM
There wasn't much to support either though, for all the prudence off the pitch there wasn't enough done on the pitch. I'm sure many people here will go on about supporting a team through thick & thin but when you have year after year dross on the pitch it can wear the best of fans down.

When Kilkenny beat Limerick in August it was the first time in over a year they had won at Buckley Park & they managed just 3 wins in the last 2 seasons at home. Also Pat Scully's side is the only one in the last 6 seasons that averaged more than a point a game, with records like that over a consistant time every club will be hurt by fallen attendences.

But they are the people at fault. They did'nt support their team and the end result is they have no team. Sad but true!

amjl
18/01/2008, 4:10 PM

Well said Bunny Kelly,

With must of the available money going into improving facilities there's not going to be much left over for a club our size to sign decent players. Couldn't win on both fronts without serious investment & we seem to have got the gamble wrong.

"If you build it, they will come." We built it alright, but unfortunately they didn't come! :(

Dodge
18/01/2008, 4:27 PM
SOrry to see them go too. Jim Rhatigan is atop top man, and its a shame the rest of the "city" didn't see things his way.

Tis-smeee
18/01/2008, 5:33 PM
Just remebered I was at the last ever game versus Finnharps heres a pic of the Kilkenny team running out for the very last time

http://www.postimage.org/aVt6dG0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVt6dG0)

don ramo
18/01/2008, 5:47 PM
shame to see any club go, but killkenny had the means but were just s****d when it came to fielding a team with the work on the ground, i hope they quailify for the A Championship and have a chance of a year or two there and come back stronger, they have the facilities just the get the background sorted,

will see ye again, best of luck

fingal is yet another disaster, will not survive, to many dub clubs as it is, and the ones that are cemented into there areas are still gettin low attendances, the only thing (that i know of) they have going for themselves is the academy,

for the disater were in store for this year with the protmotion relegation c**p might as well leave the first as is

Comic Book Guy
18/01/2008, 6:10 PM
Gutted to see KK go, does anyone know if they have ceased to exist or will they enter the under 20 league. I hope they do come back.
Kilkenny were always playing second fiddle in a hurling mad county and the distance of the ground from the city didn't help either and of course the poor results of the past couple of years.
Hopefully they can get a few more hard working football people into the club, and if they concentrate on producing an underage set up then who knows, I see no reason why they can't come back.