PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2007 hopes for 2008

Block G Raptor
18/12/2007, 1:15 PM
I know its a tad early but I'm really looking forward to seeing the back of 2007 it's been a crap year for me from day one.

My Partner mis-carried on new years day and it's been downhill from there.
although in the last week I've started a new Role in work which Im loving and my partner is expecting again (due in March) so I'm Looking forward to 2008

DIFChick
18/12/2007, 1:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Block G Raptor... I wish you and your partner all the best and a fantastic 2008!

2007 has been a good year. I was a newbie to this city in 2006 but now I've adapted and feel confident that Dublin will be my home for the forseeable future.

2008 will see the end of my 20's and introduces me to the big 30! I'm actually looking forward to it!:D
My hopes for 2008 is that I will finally be able to buy my own place, tired of being a tenant!

placid casual
18/12/2007, 2:51 PM
this year has been one of the best years of my life .
- my baby daughter was born in august
- rovers beat the gaaliban in the courts
- that enough for me

superfrank
18/12/2007, 3:13 PM
Sorry to hear that BGR.

This year's been a lot better than the one before.

-Did my Leaving
-Got the course I wanted in college
-Began working as a journalist and I am loving it

It's been a good year.

Block G Raptor
18/12/2007, 3:15 PM
-Began working as a journalist and I am loving it

Enemy In Camp. Enemy in Camp!! Ban Him Ban Him !!!!!
ha ha fair fecks to lad, what type of journalism sport, current affairs?.....

superfrank
18/12/2007, 3:18 PM
Enemy In Camp. Enemy in Camp!! Ban Him Ban Him !!!!!
ha ha fair fecks to lad, what type of journalism sport, current affairs?.....
I've started out in sport but I wouldn't want to be tied down to it. I'd rather be doing something like Paddy Agnew.

Block G Raptor
18/12/2007, 3:21 PM
I've started out in sport but I wouldn't want to be tied down to it. I'd rather be doing something like Paddy Agnew.

Fair play to yeh. flirted with the Idea of going back to college as a mature student to do journalism a few years back, but for mainly financial reasons decided against it

osarusan
18/12/2007, 3:27 PM
highs- first baby being born
first baby smiling
first baby crawli.........you get the picture.

lows - losing my job thanks to some spectacular corporate corruption

highs - using that experience to create a real and achievable plan to bring me where I
want to go work-wise, both in terms of job satisfaction and salary.

lows - realising how much it will cost in money, time, and effort.

2008 - got my brother's wedding to look forward to, 3 weeks or so back home in Ireland.
Also, I will take the first step of my plan in 2008.

EAFC_rdfl
18/12/2007, 3:36 PM
hasn't been a bad year, got this job in the area I studied for in college, after a year of bumming about. Jobs goin ok, on the down side it meant movin here from Galway, but at least theres no traffic chaos!! Also got back into playing sunday league after a couple of years out, the RDFL not quite the standard of the Donegal League but can't complain :D!! Started posting on here which is great too!!!!
Next year, who knows, avoid gettin sacked!! Maybe move in wit da better half somewhere rather than sharing a house with the landlords dog from hell GRRRRR!! hopefully avoid relegation with the club! Maybe see Celtic getting to the last 8 'fingers crossed smilley' !!! I hope to edit this post sometime around 20:12 tomorrow evening to tell you all i'm a 12 millionaire (or even 6millionaire, I wouldn't complain)!!!

Wolfie
18/12/2007, 3:36 PM
Myself and the Missus were blessed with a baby boy this year (There's a trend emerging on this thread). Which was the highlight of my life, never mind 2007.

Also spent much of 2007 refurbishing a house we moved into in Dec 06. Still bits to do.

An eventful and busy year.

Hopes for 2008? - Baby and Wife remain healthy and safe, Ireland team get back on track and a few good albums are released!

Kildare Lad
18/12/2007, 8:36 PM
2007 was a good year for me (second half anyways).
Done the JC, made alot of new friends (lost some along the way though), got a girlfriend, my own football has been improving, maturing as a person and no relations or friends have passed away.

Lets hope 2008 can be good too!

cheifo
18/12/2007, 10:53 PM
Good stuff Kildare Lad, nice sense of perspective for someone still in their school years.Me 2007?, so much happened I will spare ye the details.
2008? All I want is Harps to win the Premier,World peace and Halle Berry to arrive at my door and say "Hey Cheifo, how u doin".

strangeirish
18/12/2007, 11:41 PM
Good stuff Kildare Lad, nice sense of perspective for someone still in their school years.Me 2007?, so much happened I will spare ye the details.
2008? All I want is Harps to win the Premier,World peace and Halle Berry to arrive at my door and say "Hey Cheifo, how u doin".
Looks like its Halle Berry so...:D

Dodge
19/12/2007, 12:02 AM
Weird year for me

Wnet along the lines of

^^ Shels being kicked out of Setanta & Europe
^^ Pats not sucking
vv wws dying
vv Pats starting to suck again
^^ Got a proomotion and a change of scenery in work
^^ Pats starting to not suck so much
vv New work sucking the life out of me

I'm generally an optimistic person but this year was the toughest of my life. Mainly due to Peter.

I'm getting married in May. Not sure if thats a ^^ or vv

GavinZac
19/12/2007, 12:22 AM
Its been quite an eventful year, actually, now that i think back on it.

Group of friends broke up for a while as people moved on to different places.
Got myself a car, an old one but a good one.
Enjoyed my own web development project and helping other people with their projects in my IT course.
Hated a lot of the rest of the course, and screwed myself over by not doing as well as I should - I got a 2.2, had aimed for at least a 2.1
Lost my cushy part time number, jumped from job to job for a while and got a nice taste of different areas, including a nice ego booster working as a face for a bank around UCC.
Graduated from college
visited london, reykjavik and stockholm - and father ted's house
city did pretty rubbish, royo headed off for sunderland
my sister had a kid and made me, a staunch atheist, the godfather
ran into some money difficulties as 2 companies and the revenue commissioners stalled on giving me my dues.
currently half way through a Masters Degree from which I hope to, next year, get a solid job and move out of home, hopefully with my girlfriend. If you'll have me, micls :D

Sam_Heggy
19/12/2007, 10:03 AM
2007:
highs- Started a new business,
- Its still going strong
- Finally started building a new house
- Started helping out in the Harps club shop (finally putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak)
- Higsy joining Harps.
- Promotion

Lows - Both the Athlone games at the end of the season
- Financial strain for 3/4 months starting new business
- Death of Harps fan on the terrace at the cobh game (reality check)

Bit of both - From the unreal atmosphere in Kilkenny where Athlone were holding Cobh and we were coasting 3 up. 800 Harps fans singing and then the news coming through that Cobh had scored. We picked ourselves up again and rocked the hotel bar afterwards :D

2008 - Getting married in August (still time to do a runner yet :D )
- Hopefully Harps staying up in the Prem.
- Moving into the new house.
- Harps stadium to be started by March.

Looking forward to 2008 tbh.

jebus
19/12/2007, 10:55 AM
Highs - Hitting the 3 year mark with my girlfriend and still going strong
Living the life of a degenerate drunk for half a year in Cork
Trip to Prague was fantastic
Realising my time here in Ireland is hopefully coming to an end (for the time being at least)
Getting more freelance media work in Dublin

Middle Ground - Moving onto a respectable, well paid Dublin life
Limerick 37 - Bit of a blah year all around

Lows - Realising my time here in Ireland is sadly coming to an end (for the time being at least)
Fianna Fail being re-elected and the subsequent realisation that I have zero respect for the electorate anymore
Realising that to get ahead in the Dublin media game you have to be in a certain circle, or at least treat this certain circle with complete reverance

All in all a bit of a nothing year truth be told, glad to see the back of it

Wolfie
19/12/2007, 11:50 AM
Realising that to get ahead in the Dublin media game you have to be in a certain circle, or at least treat this certain circle with complete reverance

That's the opinion I formed as a Junior Reporter in 1996 / 1997.

Although I did figure out that being a decent writer and a decent Journalist are two different things completely.

Magicme
19/12/2007, 12:34 PM
Highs:
finding a fella who can put up with me
putting heartbreak from previous years behind me and enjoy love the way it should be
My eldest son getting almost straight A's in his end of year report & being streamed in top class
My youngest son turning into a sought after goalie in the mini leagues
Watching Luke Fitzpatrick playing for Mons
Alvin being in Goals for Mons
Mons finding & retaining Danny Woods
Doing the whole corporate box thingy at Croke Park for an Ireland game
Learning loads from other clubs in CPO Programme
Taking the kids to Electric Picnic
Seeing Crowded House in Marley Park whilst Mons were beating Shels 4-0
Ian Brown in the Phoenix Park
CEO in work retiring
Handing in my resignation at work
Finally getting a job in the area I want to be

Lows:
Death of 2 friends
Mons not fulfilling full potential
Alvin going to Galway
Luke going to Waterford
Putting up with s**t from CEO
Gall bladder problems
Being constantly broke
My eldest being diagnosed with Asthma

All in all it was a fairly good year. Next year hopefully will be even better as working full time will sort out the finances a bit and hopefully my sweetie pie boyfriend (god he will kill me for letting people know he is a sweetie!) and I will continue to be blissfully happy. I hope my kids will continue to be the wonderful well rounded (not in the way that I am) delightful human beings they are and that my family are safe and healthy.

Pauro 76
19/12/2007, 3:08 PM
Lows:
A lot here...it's been a horrific year.

• My iPod and mobile stolen on a weekend trip and some fecker running over £100 worth of calls on it.
• Getting fired from a printing job in the summer.
• Getting let go from a printing job I worked for two months in when it looked like I was odds on to get the job
• Lack of temping work in run up to Christmas, had about 3 weeks off with no work which crippled me financially. Also getting so close in a number of interviews only to fail to land it by a whisker.
• Quit a bar job becuase the landlady was a b!tch.
• No travelling done this year, very disappointing.
• News that my extremely moody Aussie housemate was staying on in the house rather than leaving as originally planned.
• Two housemates left this year. Great ones too. Their replacements have been ****.
• Girlfriend putting pressure on me to leave London - had to break up with her as things weren't working out.
• Longford Town getting relegated of course and losing the Cup Final.

Highs:
• Just starting a new job this week, fingers crossed.
• Getting a good reputation working as a temp, hopefully more temping work to fall back on.
• Brilliant housemates (bar two), the best ever house Xmas party last week!
• My sister giving birth - I'm now an uncle. Amazing feeling, and his first Christmas coming up.

and that's all the highs.

Block G Raptor
19/12/2007, 3:13 PM
New Hope for 2008: Hope Bohs are still in the premier div

MariborKev
19/12/2007, 3:39 PM
2007 has been a decent year

Spent half of 2006 and 8 months of 2007 on the road round the world. Great trip!Watching sport along the way and landing the greatest jobs ever when in Oz

Coming back and starting work has been a serious shock to the system though.

Plan for 2008; get a "proper job" or if not sack it and hit the road again.

Good times:D

Pauro 76
19/12/2007, 7:53 PM
UPDATED - HIGH

Just got offered the job I've been working for the last few days. I'm now back in employment. A great way to end a sh!t year!

Maz
19/12/2007, 8:58 PM
Highs: Finally graduating from Maynooth
Walking straight into a teaching job for the year
Passing my driver theory test
Quitting my part time job with an awful retail company
Had alot of success in teaching singing to younger children who have reached Leinster and All Ireland competitions

Lows: Losing my grandmother, who I was so close to and lived with
Longford Town getting relegated
Local GAA club getting relegated
Some injuries due to all things alcohol

Think thats it for now

Hopes for 2008: Being successful in my interview I did on Monday last and getting a place with Hibernia College
Finding another teaching job for next Sept
Keeping my health and people close to me

micls
19/12/2007, 9:08 PM
High: Going to London
High: Finally graduating from Mary I and getting home
High: Going to Iceland and Sweden
High: Quitting annoying part time job
High: Getting a permanent teaching job in my ideal school
High: Sending off forms etc
Low: Getting told the permanent job was gone cos they didnt get the required amount of pupils
High: Getting another permanent job the week before school started
Low:The school being absolutely awful
Low:Finding out I probably cant do my dip.
Low:The absolute fear that Im doing everything wrong
Low:Rubbish season for City in general
High: Joy of the cup final
Low: The pr disaster that is City right now

Hopes:
-Get through WSE
-Get through a tough time coming up in February
-Start enjoying teaching-possibly find a new school
-Get a new manager who isnt Matthews or Connor
-Good season for City
-Some good Euro trips
-Everyone staying healthy
-Possibly moving out
-Getting a car and starting to drive

dfx-
19/12/2007, 9:23 PM
Highs

Graduating with a 2.1 degree in Chemistry at DIT
Landing on my feet in a job in Pharma industry
People I'm working with
Getting to South Africa again
Being a Rovers member
Tallaght
That Sammarinese goal
South Africa winning the World Cup

Lows

Leaving college into the big bad world
Embarrassing the eL in front of hundreds of German fans/Rovers' style of play
A Rovers side losing 5-0 since 1989
The GAA/Tolka Park
That winner in San Marino
Coming home from South Africa again.
A couple of dodgy months after graduation
Treatment of Rovers fans in Derry

2008:

Try claim one of the Research PhDs in my area of interest - nanoelectrochemistry
Rovers to play some football
Get back to Cape Town

Bluebeard
19/12/2007, 9:59 PM
UPDATED - HIGH

Just got offered the job I've been working for the last few days. I'm now back in employment. A great way to end a sh!t year!

Congrats Pauro - I felt gutted for you reading the earlier post on the other page. Here's to 2008.

Pauro 76
20/12/2007, 7:03 AM
Congrats Pauro - I felt gutted for you reading the earlier post on the other page. Here's to 2008.

Cheers mate! Thanks! Hopefully it'll all work out. I forgot to mention 2008's hopes for me:

- To actually hang on to new job and progress.
- To finally do a bit of travelling, even if its just weekend trips
- To completely enjoy the last six months of best ever house-share. Downhill from then on.
- To finally attempt some driving lessons
- To be footloose and fancy free for 2008 (said ex-girlfriend wanted us to move out of London, but we're back together and she's still moaning.
- To spend more time with the nephew now he's growing up
- To visit friends in Australia and US of A

not too much to ask for....

Maz
21/12/2007, 11:44 AM
Hopes for 2008: Being successful in my interview I did on Monday last and getting a place with Hibernia College

Update

I got the place with Hibernia for next October...happy days

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 12:01 PM
Congrats Maz Delighted to hear that

Maz
21/12/2007, 1:18 PM
Thanks a mill, was thrilled. They said it would be a few weeks but only 4 days so happy out!