PDA

View Full Version : eircom League Journey Men

Pages : [1] 2

A face
01/12/2007, 12:50 PM
There's got to be fairly big list in the making on this one. To start it off ....

Trevor Molloy .... how many eL clubs did he play with? 6? 7?

holidaysong
01/12/2007, 12:53 PM
Philly Hughes - Shelbourne will be his 9th League of Ireland club.

Poor Student
01/12/2007, 12:54 PM
James Keddy has played for UCD, Derry, Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers, Bohs and now Shelbourne twice.

Rutherford has played for Shels, Bohs, Rovers Pat's and Longford and possibly a sixth club next season.

holidaysong
01/12/2007, 12:57 PM
Trevor Vaughan - Home Farm, Shelbourne, Kilkenny City, Drogheda United, back to Home Farm, Monaghan United, Dundalk, Dublin City, back to Dundalk.

Celdrog
01/12/2007, 2:08 PM
James Keddy has played for UCD, Derry, Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers, Bohs and now Shelbourne twice.
Rutherford has played for Shels, Bohs, Rovers Pat's and Longford and possibly a sixth club next season.
Don't forget Keddy played for the Drogs for the last few years.

Tis-smeee
01/12/2007, 2:12 PM
John Lester - Waterford - monaghan - limerick - galway

Andy Myler - Waterford - athlone - rovers

Im sure there is more for both

Jerry The Saint
01/12/2007, 2:18 PM
Robbie Doyle on the move again after being released by Dundalk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Doyle

He started his career with Blackburn Rovers spending 3 years at the club. He had loan spells at Huddersfield Town and Oldham Athletic before returning back to Ireland.

Doyle had a short spell at St Patrick's Athletic on his return before joining Bray Wanderers in time for the 2001/02 season. He made a handful of appearances at the club when Paul Doolin offered him regular first team football at UCD and so Doyle was on his way again. He scored on his debut for UCD on the first day of the 2002/03 season against Bohemians and his performances that season impressed Stephen Kenny enough to offer him a move to Bohemians at the end of the season. Doyle made a decent start to life at Dalymount and played in the UEFA Champions League qualifiers but he fell out with Kenny and in mid 2004, he returned once again to St Patricks Athletic. He has since played for Bray Wanderers (again) and Macclesfield Town.

On July 4th, 2007, Robbie agreed to sign for Dundalk FC from Macclesfield Town.

9 separate clubs, 9 transfers, 2 loan spells in around 8 or 9 seasons of senior football.

atfconline
01/12/2007, 2:26 PM
Andy Myler - Waterford - athlone - rovers

Im sure there is more for both

Add UCD, Monaghan, Longford and Drogheda for Myler anyway.

red bellied
01/12/2007, 2:40 PM
Paul McGee which LOI clubs hasnt he played for? Must of played for his home town club Sligo Rovers on at least four different occasions. As far as I now he has played for Harps, Derry, Galway, Athlone, Shams, Dundalk and Waterford, possibly up the north as well. In England OPR, Burnley and Preston and also I remember Ski been on the now defunct Superchannel playing in the Dutch league many moons ago.

pineapple stu
01/12/2007, 3:15 PM
Paul Doolin and Richie Purdy spring to mind. Purdy ended his career with spells at UCD and Kildare, havingn done the rounds before that (Rovers, Derry and Dundalk, I think?). Doolin pretty much played for every Dublin team twice, most of the IL and Derry.

Sonic
01/12/2007, 3:22 PM
That piece of p1ss Alan Reynolds has been at quite a few too. Waterford, Shelbourne, Rovers, Cork, Longford, Waterrord again and Rovers again!!!

Celdrog
01/12/2007, 3:47 PM
John Lester - Waterford - monaghan - limerick - galway Im sure there is more for both
Lester played for the Drogs

sligoman
01/12/2007, 3:56 PM
Padraig Moran played for Rovers, Athlone and Limerick...anymore?

atfconline
01/12/2007, 4:01 PM
Padraig Moran played for Rovers, Athlone and Limerick...anymore?

Derry, Hearts in Scotland?

Neish
01/12/2007, 4:02 PM
Alex Nesovic

Harps, Dundalk, Shels, Bohs, for definiate. Didn't he play for Derry too?

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 4:13 PM
Paul Doolin's league career reads something like this : Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, Derry City, Shelbourne, Portadown, Derry City, Shamrock Rovers, Portadown, Shelbourne, UCD as a player.

So far as a manager his career is UCD, Drogheda United.

TheBoss
01/12/2007, 4:49 PM
I remember seeing Brendan Markey's career.

Bohemian FC
Millwall FC
Dundalk FC
Bohemian FC
Shamrock Rovers FC
Waterford United FC
Newry Town FC
Bohemian FC
Dublin City FC
Glenavon FC
Dundalk FC
Athlone Town AFC
Monaghan United FC
St. Patrick's Athletic FC
Kildare County FC
Dublin City FC

He is still only 31.

MariborKev
01/12/2007, 4:49 PM
Alex Nesovic

One game, a friendly against TNS. Played in what looked like gold shoes.

Neish
01/12/2007, 6:30 PM
One game, a friendly against TNS. Played in what looked like gold shoes.

Sounds like him alright, good footballer but he loves himself

Poor Student
01/12/2007, 6:32 PM
Alex Nesovic

Think he played for Dublin City too.

onephillyhughes
01/12/2007, 6:44 PM
Paul Doolin's league career reads something like this : Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, Derry City, Shelbourne, Portadown, Derry City, Shamrock Rovers, Portadown, Shelbourne, UCD as a player.

So far as a manager his career is UCD, Drogheda United.

Add the town to that list as a player

showgies
01/12/2007, 7:30 PM
Dermot Keely has to be the most travelled manager. Hands Up who hasn't being managed by Keely?

Terry
01/12/2007, 7:35 PM
Us thank God !!!!

niallsparky
01/12/2007, 7:51 PM
Us too.

Keely managed teams:

UCD
Shamrock Rovers
Sligo Rovers
Longford Town
Dundalk
Finn Harps
Athlone Town
Home Farm Everton
Shelbourne
Kildare County
Derry City
Dublin City
Shelbourne

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 8:38 PM
Us too.

Keely managed teams:

UCD
Shamrock Rovers
Sligo Rovers
Longford Town
Dundalk
Finn Harps
Athlone Town
Home Farm Everton
Shelbourne
Kildare County
Derry City
Dublin City
Shelbourne
He also played for St. Patrick's Athletic which almost gives Dermo links to all the surviving Dublin clubs.

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 8:40 PM
Add the town to that list as a player
Well thanks for that but Doolin was a consistently good player throughout his career, his final season as a player for UCD he was fabulous!

pineapple stu
01/12/2007, 8:45 PM
Technically, in his final season as a player for UCD, he was an unused sub three times. ;)

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 8:59 PM
Technically, in his final season as a player for UCD, he was an unused sub three times. ;)

Well as he didn't play the final season was the previous one ! ;)

pineapple stu
01/12/2007, 9:02 PM
He played one mid-season friendly anyway.

Billy Brennan didn't play this season; does that make him not a player?

sligoman
01/12/2007, 9:08 PM
What constitutes a journeyman exactly, how many clubs like? Would Eric Lavine/Wesley Charles qualify?

Paddyfield
01/12/2007, 9:28 PM
Paul McGee which LOI clubs hasnt he played for? Must of played for his home town club Sligo Rovers on at least four different occasions. As far as I now he has played for Harps, Derry, Galway, Athlone, Shams, Dundalk and Waterford, possibly up the north as well. In England OPR, Burnley and Preston and also I remember Ski been on the now defunct Superchannel playing in the Dutch league many moons ago.

Class player in his day. He actually had three stints with Galway United.

He was also player/manager In a space of four months (c. 1989) his name went into the history books for the wrong reasons as he manged Galway United to a 9 - 1 defeat in the Brandywell and dubsequently a 6 - 0 defeat to Derry in Terryland. Two decades later, those statistics are his legacy as they were our biggest away and home defeats ever. Neverhteless, Ski is our all time top scorer ever.

His next job as a manager came this year at Limerick 37.

He has lived in Galway since the 80's and he was actually training a local junior team in Knocknacarra this week.

BobtheDrog
01/12/2007, 9:48 PM
Mark Leech has played for UCD, Drogs, Bohs, Shels and now on his way to galway, not bad for a 23 year old

Dodge
01/12/2007, 10:02 PM
What constitutes a journeyman exactly
I class journeyman as someone who sin't that good and kinda just foats around clubs. A player like Doolin moves onto the better deal. Mercenary is probably a a better word

Risteard
01/12/2007, 10:52 PM
It's a Dub thing.
I'd imagine Jodi Byrne is up there.
When I was taken to Bishopstown, he always seemed to be playing. I got so dizzy it took me weeks to realise he was actually in a City jersey at one stage.

Snoop Drog
02/12/2007, 5:33 AM
I remember seeing Brendan Markey's career.

Bohemian FC
Millwall FC
Dundalk FC
Bohemian FC
Shamrock Rovers FC
Waterford United FC
Newry Town FC
Bohemian FC
Dublin City FC
Glenavon FC
Dundalk FC
Athlone Town AFC
Monaghan United FC
St. Patrick's Athletic FC
Kildare County FC
Dublin City FC

He is still only 31.

That's pretty incredible :eek:

gufcfan
02/12/2007, 8:11 AM
I remember Ski been on the now defunct Superchannel playing in the Dutch league many moons ago.

Superchannel?

Please explain... no idea what that is....

CollegeTillIDie
02/12/2007, 8:13 AM
He played one mid-season friendly anyway.

Billy Brennan didn't play this season; does that make him not a player?

You're talking first team here. Tommy Dunne played loads of games for the Under 21's never made a first team appearance. I don't consider him to have played for UCD in the Eircom League of Ireland Premier Division same difference !...

CollegeTillIDie
02/12/2007, 8:50 AM
Superchannel?

Please explain... no idea what that is....

Ok back in the mid-late 1980's there were a number of channels available to cable subscribers which no longer exist. These included Screensport, Lifestyle, and Super Channel. Super used to show programmes which had been shown on terrestrial television 5-10 years before as well as a handful of original shows. One of their original shows was continental football weekly roundups. Akin to what we see now on Setanta things like a Dutch show, a German show etc. A number of mergers occurred between the above name channels and I believe Rupert Murdoch bought one or two of them when he was turning his fledgling SKY channels into BSKYB or British Sky Broadcasting. I believe that purchasing one or two of the channels which showed sports, was the origin of SKYSPORTS channels.

MojoPin
02/12/2007, 11:37 AM
Alex Nesovic

cobh too

red bellied
02/12/2007, 12:26 PM
Class player in his day. He actually had three stints with Galway United.

He was also player/manager In a space of four months (c. 1989) his name went into the history books for the wrong reasons as he manged Galway United to a 9 - 1 defeat in the Brandywell and dubsequently a 6 - 0 defeat to Derry in Terryland. Two decades later, those statistics are his legacy as they were our biggest away and home defeats ever. Neverhteless, Ski is our all time top scorer ever.

His next job as a manager came this year at Limerick 37.

He has lived in Galway since the 80's and he was actually training a local junior team in Knocknacarra this week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McGee

This link has Mc Gee down as an incredible seven different spells with Sligo Rovers. Not sure if this is correct though. As well as winning a cup final with Harps he actually finished his career with them cut short through injury. The injury wasnt actually football related think it was a car crash that finished his playing days.

superfrank
02/12/2007, 4:39 PM
Alan Cawley?

AFAIK, UCD, Shels, Longford, Waterford and Bray. And he's only 26/27.

Lee Roache too.

Rovers, Glentoran, Pats, Dublin City, Bray, Shels, IIRC and he's only about 23/24.

Ash
02/12/2007, 4:53 PM
Keith Doyle
St Pats, Athlone, Bray, Shams, Dublin City

pineapple stu
02/12/2007, 6:55 PM
Alan Cawley?

AFAIK, UCD, Shels, Longford, Waterford and Bray. And he's only 26/27.

Two spells at UCD.

LukeO
02/12/2007, 7:22 PM
Dermot Keely has to be the most travelled manager. Hands Up who hasn't being managed by Keely?

Us, unfortunately.

Red&White Rover
02/12/2007, 7:27 PM
Keith Foy- Pats, Dublin City, Monaghan and Rovers.

pineapple stu
02/12/2007, 7:28 PM
Keith Doyle
St Pats, Athlone, Bray, Shams, Dublin City
Us as well.

HarpsinDublin
02/12/2007, 8:41 PM
Does Mark Rutherford count?

niallsparky
02/12/2007, 9:18 PM
Does Mark Rutherford count?

Is docha. Bohs, Pats, Rovers, Shels and Longford in Ireland. Newry in the north. Birmingham and Shrewsbury in Engerland.

seand
03/12/2007, 8:42 AM
The Rodster...
Bohemians
Home Farm
Athlone Town
Drogheda United
Dundalk
Mansfield Town
Cambridge United
Newport County
Cheltenham Town
Shamrock Rovers
Dundalk
Sligo Rovers
Crusaders
Glentoran
Bangor
Cliftonville
Larne

manager Bohs, Carlisle, DubCity, Rovers.

Paul Doolin also played a handful of games for Dundalk

I think this is the definitive list for Trevor Molloy....
Rovers, Athlone, Pats, Bohs, Carlisle, Shels, Rovers, Pats, Motherwell

Mr A
03/12/2007, 8:45 AM
I seem to remember Fran Carter had a huge number of clubs- I know he was briefly at Harps in the mid to late 90's. Anyone remember the other clubs he was at?

Wasn't Mark Rutherford at Shamrock Rovers as well for a while?