PDA

View Full Version : A 'Home' Squad

Pages : [1] 2 3

tricky_colour
29/11/2007, 10:59 PM
Given as nobody has qualified from these Isles should we not pool our
'talents' <cough> and enter a home nations team?

I woud say Irish candidates would include, Given, Finnan, Dunne, Duff, Keane,
Doyle, Carsley, Ireland, Hunt, A Reid. O 'Shea, and Kilbane.

eekers
29/11/2007, 11:17 PM

5 years of living in the uk they can take up residency? yeh?
hunt ireland and doyle probably wouldnt qualify

tricky_colour
29/11/2007, 11:54 PM
5 years of living in the uk they can take up residency? yeh?
hunt ireland and doyle probably wouldnt qualify

Hunt would qualify I think, was with Crystal Palace in 1998.
Then he was with Brentford in league 1 (old third division) so he has came a long
way (Shane Long would not qualify) when you consider he is in the Premiership top 100 according to the Actim Index (no 97). A hell of alot of 'foreign' names in there
http://download.howden.press.net/actim/PremUK_index_top100.pdf
I would say more than half are not 'home nations' players, maybe that's why none of them qualified, I think for many of them the Europen Championship is a minor competition, and probably the World Cup too now. From a financial point of few these competitions mean little to them, about as important as a pub game in monetary terms.

CollegeTillIDie
30/11/2007, 6:07 AM
Simple Answer to the proposition ..... NO!

Look at Rugby... The Lions invariably get hammered... and their Irish players (i.e. O'Driscoll, O' Gara, O'Connell etc) are pro rata more talented.......

lopez
30/11/2007, 8:13 AM
'talents' <cough> and enter a home nations team?Why not go the whole hog and re-unite with the UK? Great days, everyone was loaded, no-one emigrated and of course no one starved. Stupid idea. :rolleyes:

cavan_fan
30/11/2007, 8:48 AM
Why not go the whole hog and re-unite with the UK? Great days, everyone was loaded, no-one emigrated and of course no one starved. Stupid idea. :rolleyes:

Ahh, the famine we can't let it go can we!

By the way no, no, no to this idea, why not a combined Irish, Italian and Isaeli team on the basis that we all start with the letter I. (though EG will no doubt point out we start with the letter R!)

mr miyagi
30/11/2007, 8:55 AM

By the way no, no, no to this idea, why not a combined Irish, Italian and Isaeli team on the basis that we all start with the letter I. (though EG will no doubt point out we start with the letter R!)

Don't forget the Ivory Coast....We've the same flag 'cept backwards aswell...
Drogba and Doyle up front...:D

Dodge
30/11/2007, 8:59 AM
If this was most posters I'd have binned it for being a Wind Up. But I don't think tricky colour would have the capabilities to try a wind up

Fester
30/11/2007, 9:22 AM

Did I miss something here 'HOME Nations'. Rep of Ireland is not part of any 'Home' Nations. Stupid Idea.....:eek:

lopez
30/11/2007, 10:02 AM
Don't forget the Ivory Coast....We've the same flag 'cept backwards aswell...
Drogba and Doyle up front...:DNow that's a great idea. Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony. Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why dont we? Someone needs to do that for a testimonial. :D

lionelhutz
30/11/2007, 10:29 AM

You've got to be kidding me - these 3 shouldn't be getting near the Irish team, let alone a "Home Nations" team. Anyway tis a stupid idea

livehead1
30/11/2007, 12:21 PM
What a load of shi*e

citizenerased
30/11/2007, 12:44 PM
not a chance would i ever want to see that!!! that whole British and Irish Lions thing is farcical!

dcfcsteve
30/11/2007, 5:02 PM

What's a "home nation" and why would it include the Republic of Ireland ? :confused:

Sure - why not include Bangladesh whilst you're at it, as they didn't qualify either.....:rolleyes:

Bondvillain
30/11/2007, 5:14 PM
As i'm not quuuuuiiiiite sure whether this thread is a complete and utter wind-up or not, I'll just leave it at "A 'home' nations Featuring Ireland team would be a pleasant diversion say, for instance in one of Platini's anti-poverty fundraser games against, I dunno, the "Asian all-stars featuring Harry Kewell", or something.

But as a suggestion of it being a viable entrant to international competitions, its a load of old horse ploppy.

John83
30/11/2007, 5:30 PM
As i'm not quuuuuiiiiite sure whether this thread is a complete and utter wind-up or not, I'll just leave it at "A 'home' nations Featuring Ireland team would be a pleasant diversion say, for instance in one of Platini's anti-poverty fundraser games against, I dunno, the "Asian all-stars featuring Harry Kewell", or something.

But as a suggestion of it being a viable entrant to international competitions, its a load of old horse ploppy.
I swear, this is the last time I agree with a statement containing the phrase "horse ploppy".

backstothewall
30/11/2007, 6:03 PM
Would have to say I consider us one of the home nations. It is to ignore our history and geography to say otherwise.

They are the British and Irish Lions btw

pete
30/11/2007, 6:45 PM
Would have to say I consider us one of the home nations. It is to ignore our history and geography to say otherwise.

You must have missed the Independence thing, it did before you were born though :rolleyes:

backstothewall
30/11/2007, 6:47 PM
Thats being part of the united kingdom, theres a difference

sullanefc
01/12/2007, 12:01 AM
Thats being part of the united kingdom, theres a difference

Please tell me what the difference between a 'home nation' and the 'united kingdom' is. :rolleyes:

All I know is that Ireland is neither.

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 7:25 AM

Eh no we can't let it go . Because a declining population from the 1840's to the 1960's ensured that when we did get independence we were condemned to the economic doldrums for most of the first 75 years of statehood.

Standing idly by and doing nothing when people are dying of hunger, or exporting food from the country at the same time is as bad as actively murdering them morally speaking !:mad:

I like your I idea for sure. The Italians would ensure we would be tight defensively, the Israelis would ensure we would aggressively regain possession and Kevin Doyle and Luca Toni would get the goals. :D

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 7:28 AM
Now that's a great idea. Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony. Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why dont we? Someone needs to do that for a testimonial. :D

As an Idea for a testimonial XI it's brilliant. There are a few more Ivorians in the Premiership . Zakora is at Spurs for one and they should call themselves Tricolour United FC. :D

tricky_colour
01/12/2007, 3:21 PM
And what about a manager?
Would it have to a home grown one or could it be a foreigner?
Mourinho perhaps?

backstothewall
01/12/2007, 5:18 PM
Please tell me what the difference between a 'home nation' and the 'united kingdom' is. :rolleyes:

All I know is that Ireland is neither.

I know what a high horse is, and unfortunately most people don't seem to have sufficient levels of politcal maturity to come off theirs on this one, but i never expected that to happen.

But for what its worth, a home nation is one of the 4 nations that make up the British Isles

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 5:20 PM
I know what a high horse is, and unfortunately most people don't seem to have sufficient levels of politcal maturity to come off theirs on this one, but i never expected that to happen.

But for what its worth, a home nation is one of the 4 nations that make up the British Isles

Well in football terms there are 5 nations which make up the so-called British isles so that 4 excludes us. The Four Home Nations were England, Scotland , Wales and the Wee North.

Dodge
01/12/2007, 9:03 PM

Is that the official political title :rolleyes:

Get a grip man

lopez
01/12/2007, 9:48 PM
As an Idea for a testimonial XI it's brilliant. There are a few more Ivorians in the Premiership . Zakora is at Spurs for one and they should call themselves Tricolour United FC. :DAs it's my idea, I'd like it for my testimonial. :D

youngirish
01/12/2007, 10:05 PM

You must have been sleeping in late and missed the last 86 years then.

As for the term the British Isles, that's an old remnant of the Empire that the English still like to cling onto that has no basis in reality in the 21st century. It's a disputed term whose use should be avoided by any self respecting Irishman.

SuperDave
01/12/2007, 10:32 PM
You must have been sleeping in late and missed the last 86 years then.

As for the term the British Isles, that's an old remnant of the Empire that the English still like to cling onto that has no basis in reality in the 21st century. It's a disputed term whose use should be avoided by any self respecting Irishman.

Northwestern European archipelago is a term of choice now.

genethekerryman
01/12/2007, 10:50 PM
And what about a manager?
Would it have to a home grown one or could it be a foreigner?
Mourinho perhaps?
Well, I don't think Mourinho would recognize the legitimacy of a team where the independent ROI is merged with the UK, but I think that a manager would have to be a manager of this make-believe team from the make-believe Home Nations would have to be a manager from the last campaign of these teams. Therefore, the Scottish and Wee Countrys managers will have ditched for clubs money, so they are all out, McLaren may be too upset to take the post after "the saddest day of his life" therefore Stan's the only choice. Would he do it? You tell me.

Bondvillain
01/12/2007, 11:29 PM
Of course, If we're a 'home nation' , then that renders any Scots, Norironers, Welsh or Englishmen as similarly "home grown' and certainly out of the "foreigner' equasion, meaning if we were to look for a 'foreigner' manager, we of the home nations would most probably be best served having consultancies with the sporting representatives of the Ottoman, Austro-Hungarian, or perhaps even the swarthy Iberian empires.

My own personal choice would be a tactitian of Prussian / Bavarian stock, in fact as I recall, Corporal Otto Von Schteck's XI certainly gave our boys one hell of a beating in the Christmas fixture of 1914. Perhaps the Home nation Sporting ministry (Association football, Department of Eire affairs) , open minded as they are, should give him a call?

dcfcsteve
04/12/2007, 12:01 AM

Would have to say I consider you an idiot.

I suspect my view has a larger degree of accuracy than yours...

dcfcsteve
04/12/2007, 12:05 AM
Northwestern European archipelago is a term of choice now.

Havn't heard that before - just the IONA (Islands of the North Atlantic).

I prefer the term 'Celtic Isles'. Every single island and constituent part of what dinosaurs still refer to as 'The British Isles' has a Celtic presence. Conversely, neither the Republic of Ireland nor the Isle of Man are part of Britain/the UK, or British.

Superhoops
04/12/2007, 6:13 AM
As an Idea for a testimonial XI it's brilliant. There are a few more Ivorians in the Premiership . Zakora is at Spurs for one and they should call themselves Tricolour United FC. :D

With Drogba playing would it be all right to have a tricolour with Chelsea written on it? :D

Drumcondra 69er
04/12/2007, 11:04 AM
With Drogba playing would it be all right to have a tricolour with Chelsea written on it? :D

No. It would have to say aeslehC.

John83
04/12/2007, 11:52 AM

I prefer the term 'Celtic Isles'. Every single island and constituent part of what dinosaurs still refer to as 'The British Isles' has a Celtic presence. Conversely, neither the Republic of Ireland nor the Isle of Man are part of Britain/the UK, or British.
Look up the origins of the term 'British'. Specifically, look for the term 'Pretanic'. 'Celtic' derives from a Greek term applied to the Gauls by the Romans. We're far more British than Celtic.

Dodge
04/12/2007, 12:09 PM
Look up the origins of the term 'British'. Specifically, look for the term 'Pretanic'. 'Celtic' derives from a Greek term applied to the Gauls by the Romans. We're far more British than Celtic.

So we're not greek!

ken foree
04/12/2007, 12:54 PM
So we're not greek!

he's right you know, here it is in black and white:

http://www.pretanicworld.com/Neolithic.html

or marroon and a sort've mustard shade if you prefer..

so who's playin left wing, bale or duff?? ;)

Superhoops
04/12/2007, 1:39 PM
No. It would have to say aeslehC.

with the letters on the back of the flag! ;)

backstothewall
04/12/2007, 11:23 PM
Would have to say I consider you an idiot.

I suspect my view has a larger degree of accuracy than yours...

The feeling is entirely mutual.

I prefer the term 'Celtic Isles'. Every single island and constituent part of what dinosaurs still refer to as 'The British Isles' has a Celtic presence. Conversely, neither the Republic of Ireland nor the Isle of Man are part of Britain/the UK, or British

The name Britannia derived from the travel writings of the ancient Greek Pytheas around 320 BC, which described various islands in the North Atlantic as far North as Thule (probably Iceland). Although Pytheas' own writings do not survive, later Greek writers described the islands as the αι Βρεττανιαι or the Brittanic Isles. The peoples of these islands of Prettanike were called the Πρεττανοι, Priteni or Pretani. These names derived from a Celtic name which is likely to have reached Pytheas from the Gauls, who may have used it as their term for the inhabitants of the islands. Priteni is the source of the Welsh language term Prydain, Britain, which has the same source as the Goidelic term Cruithne used to refer to the early Brythonic speaking inhabitants of Ireland and the north of Scotland. The latter were later called Picts or Caledonians by the Romans.

That is what i mean by Geography and history. This island and these islands have a history that extends beyond the English version that starts in 1066.

Trying reading a bit. I'm sure theres a decent library in Derry.

CollegeTillIDie
05/12/2007, 7:43 AM

The name Britannia derived from the travel writings of the ancient Greek Pytheas around 320 BC, which described various islands in the North Atlantic as far North as Thule (probably Iceland). Although Pytheas' own writings do not survive, later Greek writers described the islands as the αι Βρεττανιαι or the Brittanic Isles. The peoples of these islands of Prettanike were called the Πρεττανοι, Priteni or Pretani. These names derived from a Celtic name which is likely to have reached Pytheas from the Gauls, who may have used it as their term for the inhabitants of the islands. Priteni is the source of the Welsh language term Prydain, Britain, which has the same source as the Goidelic term Cruithne used to refer to the early Brythonic speaking inhabitants of Ireland and the north of Scotland. The latter were later called Picts or Caledonians by the Romans.

That is what i mean by Geography and history. This island and these islands have a history that extends beyond the English version that starts in 1066.

You should try reading Cardinal John Henry Newman on the subject. He, an Englishman by birth, didn't consider the term '' British Isles'' to be in any way accurate! I like the IONA one myself as it tip's it's hat to St. Columbkille ( aka Columba) an Irish ecclesiastical explorer and sales agent :D

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 8:50 AM
For what it's worth I've no problem with the term British Isles. It's not an assertion of sovereignty. To seek to replace it with a less convcenient expression smacks of chippiness in my view. There are more important aspects of our relationship with the British to fret about in my opinion.

dynamo kerry
05/12/2007, 9:27 AM
this is a brilliant thread. I love it.

I think the home nations team should have a new anthem to include every one. Maybe they could sing 'One' by U2. Sure isn't Bono a knight as well.

Seriously though, We'd easily get 3 or 4 players in the team. given, finnan, Keane and Mcgeady

Cymro
05/12/2007, 9:57 PM
I think Wales would have 2, maybe 3 players in the team, depending on whether Giggs would be considered eligible having retired from Welsh matches.

I think on recent form, especially in internationals, Koumas, Bale and Bellamy would have to be considered for a place in the squad, if not the starting XI.

This would be my team for the record:

G-Given/Gordon-how do you choose? Impossible, imo.
LB-Bale
CB-Richards
CB-Terry
RB-Finnan I guess
LM-Giggs, assuming he's eligible.
CM-Ferguson
CM-Hargreaves
RM-Bentley-little controversial but he's been playing really well for Blackburn recently.
CF-Healy
CF-Crouch

Subs: Given/Gordon, A.Hughes, Dunne, Koumas, Beckham, Rooney, Keane.

No Lampard or Gerrard anywhere near the team. They would turn us into a kick and rush team which is the one thing I really would not want to see, especially at international level. The above players can actual keep the ball and pick out a pass, rather than shooting from 30 metres out and sticking the ball in row Z.

danonion
06/12/2007, 3:42 AM

Without questioning the veracity of your facts (afaia they're all true) you are using, clever well-worded historical ideas that are really non-sequitor to your initial contention. I'm not trying to be an arse, but thats really not fair
To consider Ireland a home-nation is to take a historical term and apply it incorrectly; the term home nation was used to denote the entities of the UK (called by the British states, what they are in modern political terms, I'm not really sure) in the North Atlantic Archipelago, and make a distinction from other states that belonged to the then British Empire all around the world.

So for you to consider Ireland a home nation, by the term's very own definition, Ireland would need political affiliation with the UK.

To consider Ireland British in the way iron-age/earlymedieval/etc historians considered the North Atlantic Archipelago to be British is a fairly acceptable notion in my opinion, although I personally feel that the historical baggage that British carries with it, make the term divisive and unnecessary to use when we have other alternative to describe the nations on these islands and the islands themselves.

backstothewall
06/12/2007, 9:01 PM
So for you to consider Ireland a home nation, by the term's very own definition, Ireland would need political affiliation with the UK.

One arguement is that we do, (we have many in fact) but not the one i will use

What i will say is that we don't need a political affiliation with the UK to be a home nation. If and when Scotland pulls out of the UK will they cease to be a home nation?? Its a term with whatever definition you choose to put to it, and in my opinion the home nations are Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England (in that order hopefully)

That said, a home nations team should NEVER happen. Unless to play continental Europe for charity or something.

Dodge
06/12/2007, 9:31 PM
in my opinion the home nations are Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England (in that order hopefully).

I thought it was s political thing (as you said earlier)

tricky_colour
06/12/2007, 9:58 PM
The term means whatever you want it to mean.
In this case it refers to Ireland, N Ireland, Wales, Sotland and England.
It's not a political term, just a convienient term to refer to local nations who
failed to qualify.

CollegeTillIDie
06/12/2007, 10:10 PM
One argument against us being considered a home nation is this. Britain has snakes and we don't ... reason? Because Britain came out of the sea while it was still physically connected to continental Europe. Our little island remained immersed until several thousand years later, hence no snakes.

CollegeTillIDie
06/12/2007, 10:12 PM
I think Wales would have 2, maybe 3 players in the team, depending on whether Giggs would be considered eligible having retired from Welsh matches.

I think on recent form, especially in internationals, Koumas, Bale and Bellamy would have to be considered for a place in the squad, if not the starting XI.

This would be my team for the record:

G-Given/Gordon-how do you choose? Impossible, imo.
LB-Bale
CB-Richards
CB-Terry
RB-Finnan I guess
LM-Giggs, assuming he's eligible.
CM-Ferguson
CM-Hargreaves
RM-Bentley-little controversial but he's been playing really well for Blackburn recently.
CF-Healy
CF-Crouch

Subs: Given/Gordon, A.Hughes, Dunne, Koumas, Beckham, Rooney, Keane.

No Lampard or Gerrard anywhere near the team. They would turn us into a kick and rush team which is the one thing I really would not want to see, especially at international level. The above players can actual keep the ball and pick out a pass, rather than shooting from 30 metres out and sticking the ball in row Z.

To illustrate how poor we are there are two ROI players max in this team and none of them play ball more than 25 yards from their own goal!