PDA

View Full Version : Worst Jobs You Have Had

Bluebeard
26/11/2007, 9:40 PM
Looking at the other work threads, I reckon that this might be far more entertaining. I start with some of my favourites...

Security for a shop on Dorset St. (the one the Monk's nephew used to knock off, and that the local heroin addicts used to buy papers and the likes from back in "Gangland Dublin" times)

Housekeeping porter for a dodgy City Centre hotel in Dublin (yes, that kind of dodgy City Centre hotel in Dublin)

Worked in an office (I hate office work)

Sh!t Shoveller (Yes, I shovelled sh!t on a farm every Saturday during the Winter months for a spell. Actually, it wasn't too bad apart from the smell and the back breaking work - I found you could get very zen about things and it helped me develop a positive view of life)

Maz
26/11/2007, 9:46 PM
Part time sales assistant in a store here in Longford. Absolute torture

ollie
26/11/2007, 10:00 PM
picked mushrooms for 3 years. ****e work, back breaking and ****e money

Magicme
26/11/2007, 10:24 PM
The one I am in at the mo is the one I hate most.

That said working selling advertising for a radio station was horrible too.

eamo1
26/11/2007, 10:27 PM
worked for lydon house catering at the galway races a few years ago,it was my first job.worked 60 hours in total that week for around 108pounds(back in those days).thats slave labour money that is and was well below minimum wage at the time and i dont know how they got away with paying a few hundred workers that little.i did complain but was told to shut it.i was cleaning up after the rich snobs in the tents.

Schlooooomp
26/11/2007, 10:27 PM
I worked for an agricultural contractor during my summers, as well as emptying tanks full of cattle sh1t with a vacuum tanker, I sometimes had to empty peoples septic tanks with said vacuum tanker, beat that for a **** job.

Risteard
27/11/2007, 12:32 AM
SuperValu when I was 15.
I lasted a week in the butchers before being shifted onto the floor ("I'm not touching that thing, can I just go on the floor?). Walked away from the manager and the job after he questioned my mopping technique. Then committed my last violent(?) act by hitting an apple off his head with incredible accuracy.
A story I like to tell.
I worked in Dunnes for a few years afterwards doing the exact same tasks but minus the abuse and humiliation.
It should be pointed out that the manager said something very abusive after I refused his mopping advice.

kingdom hoop
27/11/2007, 1:46 AM
Very limited in any stories I can tell owing to a curious dearth of jobs. - probably as I did the same one eight years in a row, so obviously can't be bad. Out of fix or six odd-jobs then, the least attractive employment of my talents was assisting in the removal of cancerous sores off the sides of cows as my two weeks of vet work experience from school.

Gruesome. :(

Though the cups of tea in the farmers' houses were nice.

Ash
27/11/2007, 6:56 AM
Picked spuds and carrots for a summer, along with the usual
summer work turning and stacking turf.

Had a job cleaning dead cockroaches out of warehouse for a
day or two in Oz and also had a days work over there putting
white labels over the "Made In Taiwan" stamp on boxes of cutlery!

Call centre ... I'll say no more ...

Magicme
27/11/2007, 9:05 AM
Forgot about my childhood jobs of picking stones out of fields and testing the electric fence for my uncle. Sadistic badboy!

passinginterest
27/11/2007, 9:20 AM
Let me see...
Picking spuds from the age of about ten in the summers (my back is ruined)
Planting cabbage and broccoli and the likes at weekends, usually bloody cold I seem to remember, think it might have been over Easter holidays for a few years in my early teens.
Graduated to a spud harvester in the summers of my later teens (Dustiest work in the world I'd imagine).
Worked weekends in a garage/shop for a few years around that time too (Just dull).
First job in Dublin was Xtra-Vision where I got held up at gun point (exciting I suppose).
worked in Dublin Port with Irish Ferries for over a year, grand when inside, but when it's -5 at 6 in the morning with hailstones and your checking tickets of truck drivers out in the yard it was hell on earth.
All in all I'm now pretty happy to be a civil servant.

Red4Eva
27/11/2007, 9:31 AM
current job in a call centre listening to stupid english c***s all day

Schlooooomp
27/11/2007, 9:37 AM

Thats not very PC, now is it :D:D:D

paul_oshea
27/11/2007, 10:17 AM
worst one i had was in demolition, running up and down 6 flights of stairs carrying fire doors, and be shouted at for not being quick enough, the work wasnt the worst part it was the people, having a degree and working with builders doesn't go down too well....

That or musgraves in the freezer, my god those 12 hour shifts were boring, i used to count through every song on the radio to find out how long was left in the hour and how many hours left. I should have taken up smoking and i would have had a break every hour. Worst part was the night shift, being a student meant no one really knew ye either as ye had no induction or nothing just met the supervisor and that was it. Driving the little carrier things round was great craic and manouvering( sp? )it round corners and avoiding ppl was great craic.

Or possibly working in a niteclub the morning after clearing the bottles and cleaning up, we had to sort the recyleable bottles from the other bottles ( cos everyone just fecked them all in the same skips ), the amount of cuts i got working that, but after a while your hands hardened up. They didnt even provide gloves for us, and i still have about 4 scars from my time there. It was good craic though, going home locked at 1 in the afternoon, helping ourselves to a few drinks to make the time go quicker.

I also worked in bewleys ( did everything there, good aul craic though ), on the sites, credit card company , gateway, few different bars, clothes shop - done nearly every line at this stage, and none of them too bad bar the first two, just becuase of sheer boredom really.

Sligo Hornet
27/11/2007, 11:55 AM

Are you based in Delhi then?;)

sligoman
27/11/2007, 12:04 PM
Worked in a call centre for over a year. Job itself was ****e enough but good craic on the team, we had to make our own fun:p.

Babysis
27/11/2007, 12:23 PM
I worked in a Call Centre as a debt collector, as a Duty Free girl handing out freebies at the London airports, and as a headhunter.

Other than that is was shop work, bar work and admin.

strangeirish
27/11/2007, 2:59 PM
In hindsight, the repoman job. The best part of it was taking back high end cars from those who thought they were above everyone else. The worst part was being called a 'scumbag';). Long hours, dangerous parts of town, spending weeks tracking people down only to find the vehicle burnt to a crisp and not getting paid for the recovery.

Oh and being shot at a few times. Other than that, it was a pretty 'manly' job.:D

centre mid
27/11/2007, 3:04 PM
I washed dishes in a cafe in Blackrock shoping centre about 12-14 years ago, the owner was a cnut, i left after one day....she did pay me though.

shakermaker1982
27/11/2007, 4:37 PM
picked mushrooms for 3 years. ****e work, back breaking and ****e money

you got high though yeah? :D

gustavo
27/11/2007, 4:40 PM
worst job was in a hotel as a kitchen porter , work was crappy enough and the head chef was a total **** , rest of staff were sound though

Bluebeard
27/11/2007, 4:49 PM
In hindsight, the repoman job. The best part of it was taking back high end cars from those who thought they were above everyone else. The worst part was being called a 'scumbag';).

Was the worst part not being a scumbag?;)

KevB76
27/11/2007, 5:09 PM
Worst Job no.1 :

Armed with luminous yellow bib and clicky thing, I spent a 12 hour shift counting people passing through a remote (relatively speaking) outpost of the London Docklands Railway. It was just about worth it for the Stg.£80 tax free reward (a lot of money to a student in 1994 !).

Worst Job no. 2 :

Call centre.
As its in my nature to make my best effort at whatever I do, I smashed the record (by a considerable margin) for most complete calls in a day during my first week, which in hindsight cant have made me too popular. Although another competitive person did rise to the challenge.

Worst Job no. 3 :

Working for a water-cooler company, every day I had phone 2/300 customers to find out how many bottles they wanted delivered. However I shared an office with 6 very attractive ladies in the 18-26 age bracket, so I persevered with the job for about 3 months :D Then I progressed to the sales team, spent a week cold-calling and only got 2 leads, and the installation was ****ed up on one of them so I promptly came to my senses and quit.

Pauro 76
27/11/2007, 5:28 PM
Oooh a few spring to mind.

1) Worked as a charity mugger in Edinburgh. Shocking job. You only got paid commission. I lasted two weeks and only made one sale. My pay packet was £15 for two weeks work. and spent more than that on travel! Some of the abuse I got too,and if you last a day without it, you've had a good day.

2) Worked in the bog footing turf in my teens.Crap money and back breaking work.

3) Worked in a printers in South West London for a bit. Miserable staff, very picky and demanding customrs. Got the sack during someone else's leaving do over a few pints! I nearly decked the manager! Wish I did now actually.

strangeirish
27/11/2007, 5:51 PM
Was the worst part not being a scumbag?;)
Actually, I was winding up LTID there, as I was trying not to break out a can of Baileban on him.:D

BohsPartisan
27/11/2007, 6:11 PM
Actually, I was winding up LTID there, as I was trying not to break out a can of Baileban on him.:D

Kitchen Porter in the Dublin Bus drivers canteen, Earl Place. By a mile!

Neish
27/11/2007, 9:27 PM
Medical claims processor(Data entry work), most booring job sitting in front of a computer all day comparing a doctors bill(what operations preformed etc) to the patients medical cover withj the company I worked for. Consisted of 8 weeks traing, I left on the seventh.

dfx-
28/11/2007, 1:17 AM
Out of fix or six odd-jobs then, the least attractive employment of my talents was assisting in the removal of cancerous sores off the sides of cows as my two weeks of vet work experience from school.

Gruesome. :(

Ah vet work experience, that'd be my worst. Observing a dog lying on the ground with two legs broken, neck badly injured and broken ribs - presumably hit a car. Managed to hold out for four days befor ethe owners gave in and the dog did too.

Also operating on a dog in heat to remove any possible mini-golden retrievers, so to speak. Which was successful.

I did not consider becoming a vet:D

Office work would be my worst, but I've managed to avoid that so far and the office politics that go with it.

kingdom hoop
28/11/2007, 1:26 AM
:) Yeah it wasn't pleasant. Certainly confirmed that I didn't want to be a vet.

I remember having one of those 'in heat' moments as well when helping to stitch a dog's belly back up after his death was confirmed - I had to hold all the nice warm fat inside the body. It was half enjoyable in one of those strange animal-interaction sensation kind of ways - a bit like when a lamb sucks your finger.

tetsujin1979
28/11/2007, 8:57 AM
Worked in a warehouse in Limerick for 3 weeks one year. Worst job I ever had, involved taking orders off a printer, searching the warehouse for them, realising the parts weren't where they were supposed to be, tracking them down, and finally adding them to a pallet and dragging them onto a truck.
Wrecked my back.
Only good thing to come out of it was I got a pair of comfortable, waterproof, steel toed work boots which I still have years later and are excellent for concerts

Lionel Ritchie
28/11/2007, 12:34 PM
Worked in a warehouse in Limerick for 3 weeks one year. Worst job I ever had, involved taking orders off a printer, searching the warehouse for them, realising the parts weren't where they were supposed to be, tracking them down, and finally adding them to a pallet and dragging them onto a truck.
Wrecked my back.
Only good thing to come out of it was I got a pair of comfortable, waterproof, steel toed work boots which I still have years later and are excellent for concerts

Did something similar in Holland.

Worst would probably be unloading goods lorries. Boring and sore.

During a brief stint working in a Cafe I once asked an old lady struggling to get a stool from under a counter if she'd like to (and I quote) "whip it out for her". :eek:

That was that really.

Gaillimh Al
28/11/2007, 9:15 PM
Worst job was working on a banana plantation in Northern Queensland. 35 degrees, 100% humidity, raining most days, huge rats all over the place and nice big snakes slithering around the area too. Haven't touched a banana since I left the place.

Bottle of Tonic
29/11/2007, 9:02 PM
Jesus some rank jobs listed there lads.

I worked a summer in a local piggery. One of my first tasks every morning was to head around the sheds with a bucket and clean up the afterbirth from the sows. They gave you gloves but after a while you couldn't be arsed wearing them cos it made it more difficult. Sometimes the membrane on the placenta would rip and you'd have the warm slobbery mank all over you. You also had to clear up the dead banabhs along with the placenta.

One of the other lads that worked there used to have to spend the full day up to his chest in pig sh*t. He'd have to head down into the slurry tank and make sure the agitator was working right or something. And stand there all day. Up to his chest in pig sh*t.

And to think I sometimes miss life in rural Ireland.

SligoBrewer
29/11/2007, 10:59 PM
Oooh a few spring to mind.

1) Worked as a charity mugger in Edinburgh. Shocking job. You only got paid commission. I lasted two weeks and only made one sale. My pay packet was £15 for two weeks work. and spent more than that on travel! Some of the abuse I got too,and if you last a day without it, you've had a good day.

no offence but i hate you.:p

Pauro 76
30/11/2007, 6:23 AM
Work in a bar part-time and got poached by a guy who drinks there. Offered me work as a hospital porter. Maybe that could be as worst job I've been offered!

paul_oshea
30/11/2007, 9:14 AM
banabhs

is that the irish slang for the word for a baby pig, and i dont mean piglet?! if so its mad i only heard that the other day, never knew such a word existed!

smellyfeet
30/11/2007, 10:54 AM
I worked for an Industrial Diamond Company.It was the Worst and most Dangerous job i have had to do. Used to have to mix Acids to clean Diamond and the fums were terrible and sometimes the fums had a thick brown smoke that would nearly blind and choke ya.Got burnt a good few time on the arms and neck. No joking ya, this place was reall bad.

beautifulrock
30/11/2007, 11:00 AM
How about a Chicken Sexer, is that the worst yet :)

Calcio Jack
30/11/2007, 3:01 PM
Work in a bar part-time and got poached by a guy who drinks there. Offered me work as a hospital porter. Maybe that could be as worst job I've been offered!

You're right hospital porter not for the faint hearted..worked as one in London when I was a stundent... didn't last long...couldn't hack having to go into the operating theatres after the surgeons were finished and then clean up and remove various body parts that had been removed in surgery...yeeeuch !!!

Pauro 76
30/11/2007, 6:05 PM
You're right hospital porter not for the faint hearted..worked as one in London when I was a stundent... didn't last long...couldn't hack having to go into the operating theatres after the surgeons were finished and then clean up and remove various body parts that had been removed in surgery...yeeeuch !!!

Thanks mate! I definitely won't go for that career option now! ewww.

jmurphyc
30/11/2007, 6:12 PM
Working in a call centre for directory enquiries. So so boring. No free time.