PDA

View Full Version : Opposition Player You Quite Like

Pages : [1] 2

jebus
05/10/2007, 10:17 AM
We all know every club has there players for opposition teams that they dislike immensely and show that during the course of a game between said teams. In recent years Alan Gough, CP O'Brien, Jaime Nolan, and Eric Lavine have been among the ones that have irked Limerick fans (well a few of us anyway), do to a variety of reasons. But do you or your fellow supporters have a particular liking for any EL player who has never played for you club?

For our part Danny O'Leary, the sometimes first choice Athlone Town keeper is a particular favourite among a few of us Limerick supporters. No reason bar him being a genuinely nice guy, and someone who shares a joke with us opposition supporters. There was an incident last year (if my memory hasn't been damaged too badly) where Limerick scored a legitimate goal against Athlone with Danny in goals that was flagged for offside. As soon as the ball was gone back up the other end Danny turned around to us standing behind the goal and said that that goal was never offside. Firmly established himself as our favourite non-Limerick player from that moment on

gustavo
05/10/2007, 10:18 AM
I've always admired Kevin Hunt I think he is a fine player , one of the best to play in our lleague , always seems to act professionally and by all accounts a very decent guy too.

Ash
05/10/2007, 10:21 AM
We all know every club has there players for opposition teams that they dislike immensely and show that during the course of a game between said teams. In recent years Alan Gough, CP O'Brien, Jaime Nolan, and Eric Lavine have been among the ones that have irked Limerick fans (well a few of us anyway), do to a variety of reasons. But do you or your fellow supporters have a particular liking for any EL player who has never played for you club?

For our part Danny O'Leary, the sometimes first choice Athlone Town keeper is a particular favourite among a few of us Limerick supporters. No reason bar him being a genuinely nice guy, and someone who shares a joke with us opposition supporters. There was an incident last year (if my memory hasn't been damaged too badly) where Limerick scored a legitimate goal against Athlone with Danny in goals that was flagged for offside. As soon as the ball was gone back up the other end Danny turned around to us standing behind the goal and said that that goal was never offside. Firmly established himself as our favourite non-Limerick player from that moment on

Yep, Danny is a class keeper and a pure gent off the field.

For me, I've always hated Billy Cleary. Dunno what he's like off the field and dont really care.
To me he'll always be a mouthy cnut!

Magicme
05/10/2007, 10:28 AM
Kilkenny's Colin Falvey. Had the pleasure of chauferring him from Monaghan to Dublin for Rep of Irl against Wales game & he was as sound as a pound. Didnt give out bout my driving or anything!!

Simon Webb always strikes me as a gentleman & has even said hello to me when he has seen me in shops in Drogheda.

McShels
05/10/2007, 10:31 AM
For me I like Hunt, Webb, Stephen O'Brien and Bennett while he was at Cork thought he was unerrated over here TBH

Olander
05/10/2007, 10:34 AM
For me, I've always hated Billy Cleary. Dunno what he's like off the field and dont really care.
To me he'll always be a mouthy cnut!Read the thread title please :o

I'v always liked McHugh when he was at Harps, Stephen O'Brien is a good character aswell

superfrank
05/10/2007, 10:35 AM
I personally like(d) to see Tadhg Purcell, Paddy McCourt, Roy O'Donovan, Jason Byrne, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen O'Flynn, Barry Molloy and Joseph Ndo play.

Ash
05/10/2007, 10:40 AM
Read the thread title please :o

Apologies, just saw slight the opportunity to give out about him :D

For opposition players, although its a bit bias but ... I have to pick
Andy Myler. Absolute sound man (and Town legend).

He got his parents to give me a lift to games before when I was living
in Dublin. One game his parents wernt around so he got Maurice O'Driscoll
to give me a lift.

He even spotted me walking into work one day and stopped to give me a lift!

Another lad worth mentioning, not playing anymore cos I think he's in
Australia, Jan Fitzel. Another pure gent who organised a few lifts for me
with his friends and family.

btid1
05/10/2007, 10:41 AM
Very hard question to answer as it is not in football fans nature to be fond of opposition players but purely for banter it would be Barry Ryan from Pats.With all the grief he gets about his dubious behaviour he takes it all very well and has a laugh with most supporters........that said I may hate him by 10pm tonight!!!

Most respected opposition player would be Joe Ndo.He is a gifted player.Goes about his game quietly and never seems to be moaning at refs or opposition players and I have never seen anyone make so much time for themselves on the ball as he does.

As an early poster mentioned I think most fans would "like" Kevin Hunt dare I say it even some Hoops after the banter they had on that flight.A true gentleman!

Olander
05/10/2007, 10:43 AM
Apologies, just saw slight the opportunity to give out about him :D can't have anybody talking that way abour our Billy :p:)

Magicme
05/10/2007, 10:46 AM
Dam just realised I missed an opportunity to type Johnny Lester!

Well he is one opposition player I more than quite like!

btid1
05/10/2007, 11:09 AM
Dam just realised I missed an opportunity to type Johnny Lester!

Well he is one opposition player I more than quite like!

You are obviously fond of the more rotund gentleman then???!!!!

Magicme
05/10/2007, 11:18 AM
I like strong looking guys. Not necessarily muscle bound but look like they could defend my honour such as it is! Although have been known to stray to the more streamlined version from time to time. Feck it I just like men!

Anyways back on topic BTID!

DvB
05/10/2007, 11:27 AM
Always liked Sparky (Mark Rutherford) myself, have bumped into him a few times as he lives out in my general direction, always has time to say hello & have a brief chat no matter who he's playing for, a total gentleman!

Koh

sadloserkid
05/10/2007, 11:36 AM
Danny O'Leary (gentleman though he is) was only a replacement for ex-Kilkenny City keeper Aaron Shanahan in the hearts of Limerick fans really. :) Two sound guys with a sense of humour. Bumped into Wes Charles once and the same applies. Simon Webb is another, there was that Athlone full-back with the manners who thanked us when we gave him back the ball for a throw in *thinks for a second* Adrian Carberry perhaps? Surprisingly a couple of the Dundalk players have always seemed alright, Chris Bennion anyway. Ger Robinson's parents deserve a mention for giving us a lift back into Kilkenny one night (clearly oblivious to the taunts of 'Middlesborough reject' we'd subjected him to throughout the game). Mark Hutchison (ex-Sligo/Shels/Harps) was always up for a laugh. Ian Rossiter too. The nameless Galway sub who helped me back to my feet when I fell onto my ass after taking a penalty against them at half-time up in Rathbane one time.

PS) Off topic or not Ash is dead right about Billy Clery too. :)

Sam_Heggy
05/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Colin Hawkins imo was the best Centre half in the LOI. Joe Ndo is the most gifted individual and George O'Callaghan I thought was superb (at times).

Mr A
05/10/2007, 12:24 PM
I have huge respect for Peter Hutton. The man is an absolute class act.

Ash
05/10/2007, 12:28 PM
there was that Athlone full-back with the manners
who thanked us when we gave him back the ball for a throw in *thinks for a
second* Adrian Carberry perhaps?

PS) Off topic or not Ash is dead right about Billy Clery too. :)
:D

Cabsy is another true gent and a sound man aswell. Always makes time
to chat about all things Athlone Town any time I meet him. He's 100%
honest in everything, from the way he plays to talking about his own
performances.

Dodge
05/10/2007, 12:41 PM
Hard for me to pick anyone as I see every goal against Pats as a personal insult, and it takes a heeluva lot to get me back on side.

Always found Stephen O'Brien up for a laugh but then he was a Pats fan so amybe he doesn't count.

I'd echo what DvB said about Rutherford. Even at Shels I couldn't hate him. When he joined Pats I saw just how professional he was. The ultimate team player, and a nice guy too.

Oh and some of you may know I'm quite fond of the Bray manager. Just in the spirit of this thread...

jebus
05/10/2007, 12:42 PM
Hard for me to pick anyone as I see every goal against Pats as a personal insult, and it takes a heeluva lot to get me back on side.

If Pats had been in the same division as Limerick when CP O'Brien was on our books you would never have had a bad word to say against him so

Dodge
05/10/2007, 12:51 PM
If Pats had been in the same division as Limerick when CP O'Brien was on our books you would never have had a bad word to say against him so

Hated him and the other Colin O'Brien at Cork for making me think about which one is which. I've specific reasons for hating about 500 players...

bellavistaman
05/10/2007, 1:01 PM
Kilkenny's Colin Falvey. Had the pleasure of chauferring him from Monaghan to Dublin for Rep of Irl against Wales game & he was as sound as a pound. Didnt give out bout my driving or anything!!

Simon Webb always strikes me as a gentleman & has even said hello to me when he has seen me in shops in Drogheda.

Colin Falveys a great player very tough tackler and strong, currently with nobody last i heard didnt work out for him in Kilkenny, i'd imagine all the travelling to get battered was a factor, jumped from "sinking ship" with us at start of season, irony.

On players i hate for good reasons, Kevin McHugh, i reckon half of his goals with harps was against us, he never not scored against us(excuse the english), class act.

If i could sign one player for Rams it would be Pat McCourt a joy to watch, or an injury free John O'Flynn, unbelievable.

Kildare Lad
05/10/2007, 1:12 PM
I have to agree on Danny O Leary, from the time he spent at kildare county untill now, i have always respected him. Alvin Rouse is a legend too!

roc_a_fella
05/10/2007, 1:21 PM
The obvious one for all Drogs is Andy Myler....because he's a legend. Another which I will probably get alot of abuse for (from Drog supporters) is Keith Fahey....not because he's a decent bloke simply because he's a classy footballer.

BrayUnknowns
05/10/2007, 2:02 PM
One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet is Wes Charles, absolute top bloke, always has time for a chat and a bit of banter. He still sees Bray as is club (and beforeany Galway fans comes on giving out, FFS he was crying when Galway beat us in the Carlisle earlier i the season, he was asked why he was crying and he said that he didn't want to beat Bray !) and he will always be remembered not only by the Wanderers faithful but also the town in general. Everyone knew who he was and he was very grateful for how welcome they made him feel.

Believe it or not Dessie Byrne is a very nice bloke as well off the pitch, on it his a nut job ! ha ha

If i could sign a player for Bray it would have to be a striker. Fabio, Zayed, Purcell or the big lad (byrne i think?) up front for UCD. All excellent footballers who would score a lot of goals with us i reckon.

Pablo
05/10/2007, 2:23 PM

Limerick.........one of the few Clubs fans to list one of their own Clubs players as a hate figure!

shelbourne1904
05/10/2007, 2:28 PM
Gary Beckett of Derry .....a touch of class
Pat Purcell a giant of a man phisically and mentally and a decent skin.

But if I lived in Derry I would pay any Premiership season ticket price to be able to watch Paddy McCourt every second week.

DmanDmythDledge
05/10/2007, 3:25 PM
Joey Ndo.

If i could sign a player for Bray it would have to be a striker. Fabio, Zayed, Purcell or the big lad (byrne i think?) up front for UCD. All excellent footballers who would score a lot of goals with us i reckon.
If it's the bald fella it's Sammon.

Stevo Da Gull
05/10/2007, 3:48 PM
I like Kevin Hunt and Kevin McHugh (it's got nothing to do with the name though), suppose Stephen O'Brien as well.

Should say that I actually dislike very few players, unlike Dodge I dont take it personally ;)

Lim till i die
05/10/2007, 4:09 PM
Limerick.........one of the few Clubs fans to list one of their own Clubs players as a hate figure!

Jamie Nolan was an unreconstructed piece of filth aswell

We hear in Limerick call a spade a spade

Of course coming from the club who gave the league Georgie boy I can understand how the concept may be alien to you :)

lofty9
05/10/2007, 9:17 PM
James Keddy and Tony O Dowd if still playing. Two gents. Although there is a set of fans who I recall despise O'Dowd?

SligoBrewer
05/10/2007, 9:24 PM
danny o'leary.
alvin rouse,
chris turner,
pat mccourt,
keith fahey,
paul mctiernan

micls
05/10/2007, 9:42 PM
Digger. Played tonight. Possibly a bit shorter and certainly much wider but still a good laugh. An example as to how all keepers should take the banter

niallsparky
05/10/2007, 9:57 PM
Although there is a set of fans who I recall despise O'Dowd?

What, really?:eek:

sonofstan
05/10/2007, 10:23 PM
Very hard question to answer as it is not in football fans nature to be fond of opposition players but purely for banter it would be Barry Ryan from Pats.With all the grief he gets about his dubious behaviour he takes it all very well and has a laugh with most supporters........that said I may hate him by 10pm tonight!!!

He applauded us tonight after enduring a second half with all of us at his back (the temp. stand in Richer) - I don't even think it was sarcastic; oddly enough, Georgie boy always used to make a point of that as well

micls
05/10/2007, 10:24 PM
He applauded us tonight after enduring a second half with all of us at his back (the temp. stand in Richer) - I don't even think it was sarcastic;

In fairness to ryan he did the same to us after the 'junkie' incident...well before Johnny came on dragged him off and convinced him he was emotionally scarred after it

Paddyfield
05/10/2007, 10:32 PM
One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet is Wes Charles, absolute top bloke, always has time for a chat and a bit of banter. He still sees Bray as is club (and beforeany Galway fans comes on giving out, FFS he was crying when Galway beat us in the Carlisle earlier i the season, he was asked why he was crying and he said that he didn't want to beat Bray !) and he will always be remembered not only by the Wanderers faithful but also the town in general. Everyone knew who he was and he was very grateful for how welcome they made him feel.

Wes is a gentle giant. I noticed how he applauded the fans of two of his former clubs (Bray and Sligo) when we played against them. I often see him walking arounf the city centre in his Galway United track suit. Kids are always asking for his autographs and to pose for photos.

My favourite opposition players are:

Kevin Hunt - black and red blood in his veins

Raf Cratero - smashing player with great self belief without being smug

Mark Rutherford - classy player who gives 100%. How old is he?

Peter Eccles - Rovers' legend who stuck with them through thick and thin

feo123
06/10/2007, 6:12 PM
danny o'leary

:confused:

Philly
06/10/2007, 9:17 PM
Magicme love's when Kildare play Darragh Hayes. She even sneaks into the dressing room after. :D She took this picture last time, and had it as cover of the Mons programme thereafter... http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=942137592&PhotoAlbumId=4192781422&PhotoId=3986250005

onceahoop
06/10/2007, 9:41 PM
Kevin Hunt and Peter Hutton have been two top pros and a great example of how to behave as a pro footballer. Would have them any day.

sligoman
06/10/2007, 11:23 PM
Ian Wexler, sound man.
Alvin Rouse, legend.
Wesley Charles, legend.
Mick Devine, since talking to him during, yes during, match with Longford Town in Flancare this season:D.

I also back Ash up on Billy Cleary comment:).

Buller
06/10/2007, 11:26 PM
Paddy McCourt ;)

damoGUFC
07/10/2007, 11:49 AM
Kevin Hunt for me, great player and he seems a nice guy. Remember in Dalymount this season, he came over to me and said fair play to ye's, yer making plenty of noise keep it up.:D For GUFC, it would be Reggi Nootimeer. Pure gent and a class player. Always has time for the fans.

Aaron
07/10/2007, 11:51 AM
Stephen O'Brien. Can take and give a bit of stick, dosnt take it thick.

Martinho II
07/10/2007, 1:41 PM
[QUOTE=Paddyfield;784339]

Mark Rutherford - classy player who gives 100%. How old is he?

sparkys thirty six!

Magicme
08/10/2007, 9:00 AM
Magicme love's when Kildare play Darragh Hayes. She even sneaks into the dressing room after. :D She took this picture last time, and had it as cover of the Mons programme thereafter... http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=942137592&PhotoAlbumId=4192781422&PhotoId=3986250005

I didnt wander into the dressing rooms but did walk in on the pre-match team talk on St Patrick's day in Kildare, pints of guinness before the game were a good idea I think or your lot would have beaten us that day.

gspain
08/10/2007, 9:29 AM
Conor Gethins of Harps although when I said this to a home fan he did mention that he should score more often than he does.

One former player is ex Shels keeper Fred Davis always had a laugh at Rathbane and didn't take himsefl too seriously.

GuisaSaigon
08/10/2007, 9:34 AM
Digger O' Brien is a good laugh, always responds to a bit of banter.

Sam_Heggy
08/10/2007, 9:35 AM
Conor Gethins of Harps although when I said this to a home fan he did mention that he should score more often than he does.

One former player is ex Shels keeper Fred Davis always had a laugh at Rathbane and didn't take himsefl too seriously.

A real talent, ask any Galway fan, but as said he could score more. He scored 2 yesterday, hit the bar and in the end up could have had about 5 to himself.

Sam_Heggy
08/10/2007, 9:39 AM
Monaghan centre half, Luke Fitpatrick would be welcome up to Finn Park any day. Very quick and good in the air. Mons will do well to keep hold of him, rumours of Pats and Dundalk being interested in him.