PDA

View Full Version : Another British isles discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Fingal hoop
03/09/2007, 11:21 PM
where is this british isles place you speak of?

rebelarmyexile
03/09/2007, 11:40 PM
where is this british isles place you speak of?

more republican crap from a hoop. Ireland is in the British Isles. It is a geographical area named after the main island in that particular area.

Lionel Ritchie
04/09/2007, 8:28 AM
more republican crap from a hoop. Ireland is in the British Isles. It is a geographical area named after the main island in that particular area.

Main Island? :eek: Cmon it's a bit bigger but still ...main island?

Anyway can't we all just agree on north east atlantic archepelago? Though we might have to let Iceland and the Faroes in...
:D

gael353
04/09/2007, 8:43 AM
The British Isles is an old and outdated term used a long long time ago. Its now called the British and Irish Islands. Its like the British Lions rugby team is now called the British and Irish Lions. The other one that annoys me is the word Eire...this word is a British word for our country, eire doesnt actually exist and nothing smells of **** more then some guy going around with a retro t shirt with eire on the back with number 6 for mr sunderland!

On the footbal side of things i dont agree with it, lets play these clubs in european comps not in some new money making venture for setanta as they have lost faith in the org idea which is the existing setanta cup. And as for interest, id say after a season or two it would have as bout as much support as the first division, the nicky rackard cup in gaa or whatever they come up with next.

Fester
04/09/2007, 9:45 AM
[QUOTE=gael353;762861]The British Isles is an old and outdated term used a long long time ago. Its now called the British and Irish Islands. Its like the British Lions rugby team is now called the British and Irish Lions. The other one that annoys me is the word Eire...this word is a British word for our country, eire doesnt actually exist and nothing smells of **** more then some guy going around with a retro t shirt with eire on the back with number 6 for mr sunderland!

Well said man !!

Fivesilver
04/09/2007, 10:01 AM
The other one that annoys me is the word Eire...this word is a British word for our country, eire doesnt actually exist

Does nobody read the Constitution any more (you know that thing that begins with "We the people of Éire . . . ")?

Dodge
04/09/2007, 10:24 AM
Split from Setanta cup thread here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=70078). The first post in this thread was a reply to the original post

I gave it the new title

Calcio Jack
04/09/2007, 11:26 AM
The other one that annoys me is the word Eire...this word is a British word for our country, eire doesnt actually exist and nothing smells of **** more then some guy going around with a retro t shirt with eire on the back with number 6 for mr sunderland!

Re the use of the word Eire.... if you check the wording of the Constitution you'll see that the fourth line of it reads.... "...we the people of Eire.."

noby
04/09/2007, 12:01 PM
True, but the Republic of Ireland Act, 1948, and subsequent Ireland Act, 1949 (in th UK) made 'Republic of Ireland' the designated name.

noby
04/09/2007, 12:03 PM
Anyway, someone made a cockup in the Sunday Times, when writing about the matches on Saturday, saying three English teams will be playing at the same time.

Dodge
04/09/2007, 12:13 PM
True, but the Republic of Ireland Act, 1948, and subsequent Ireland Act, 1949 (in th UK) made 'Republic of Ireland' the designated name.
No, it didn't. official name of the country is Ireland

noby
04/09/2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1948/en/act/pub/0022/sec0002.html#zza22y1948s2

Lionel Ritchie
04/09/2007, 12:27 PM
The British Isles is an old and outdated term used a long long time ago. Its now called the British and Irish Islands. Its like the British Lions rugby team is now called the British and Irish Lions. The other one that annoys me is the word Eire...this word is a British word for our country, eire doesnt actually exist....

As pointed out by a few -you're factually wrong.

The name of the state is 'Eire' or in the English language 'Ireland'. Conversely the name of the state is 'Ireland' or in the Irish language 'Eire'.

The 'Republic of Ireland' is an alternate acceptable name for the state. I say 'acceptable' in that the only real acid test for such things is to attempt to obtain an official diplomatic response from the Aras. Mary Mc will respond to correspondence addressed to the President of Ireland, the President of the Republic of Ireland, the President of Eire or An Uachtarán na hEireann (sp. last one might be iffy...)

The one that's commonly used and is unacceptable/doesn't exist/won't get you a response is 'Irish Republic'. No such place.

Dodge
04/09/2007, 1:00 PM

description of the state is different from the official name of the state

We're actually one of the few who don't have a title in our official state name.

"The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland"
Article 4 in the Constitution. (http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/html%20files/Constitution%20of%20Ireland%20(Eng)Nov2004.htm)

OneRedArmy
04/09/2007, 1:10 PM
Possibly the most inaccurately named handle/username ever.

Its a historic hangover that has had no relevance post-independence. It referred to islands under both the political and sovereign rule of Great Britain, which the Republic of Ireland no longer is. Ergo whilst people understand what it referred to previously, it clearly is incorrect in todays geo-political arrangement.

The fact its still in usage reflects only the misguided views of the pro-British element in Ireland (ie you) and the minority of Britishers who still wish they had an empire.

Dodge
04/09/2007, 1:14 PM
The fact its still in usage reflects only the misguided views of the pro-British element in Ireland
No, it reflects the fact that Irish people look to Britain for a lot of its news and current affairs coverage

IONA sounds terrible though

John83
04/09/2007, 1:23 PM
The legislation is always subject to the constitution (http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Constitution%20of%20IrelandNov2004.pdf). Don't like it? See if enough people care to call a referendum.

As for the term British Isles, it's as good as any, and angrily rejected by those insecure in their nationality. The word British comes from the name of the Celtic peoples who are our ancestors.

Well, except for those of us who invaded in 1179 (sorry about that), with the Vikings or the Danes (I think my conscience is clear here), in a plantation (maybe) or from Poland (not me).

noby
04/09/2007, 1:42 PM
description of the state is different from the official name of the state

I know. That's why I avoided the word 'official'.

Dodge
04/09/2007, 1:45 PM
But its not the "designated name" either

Its only a desription

noby
04/09/2007, 2:14 PM
Damn you words! You may guess I don't work in the legal profession.

In my defence: that's what I meant.

Dodge
04/09/2007, 2:17 PM
I am PEDANTOR!!!!!

strangeirish
04/09/2007, 2:21 PM
IONA sounds terrible though
It depends what context you are using it in. For example, 'IONA house' or IONA pair of thermal knickers', then it sounds good.:D

Lionel Ritchie
04/09/2007, 2:29 PM
Well, except for those of us who invaded in 1179 (sorry about that), with the Vikings or the Danes (I think my conscience is clear here), in a plantation (maybe) or from Poland (not me).

My ancestors are Viking apparently. They set sail because they heard of a fair land of opportunity with generous social security, excellent health-care and properly funded education sysyem.

Evidently they got blown off course and landed here instead.

jebus
04/09/2007, 3:51 PM
Don't know why people get so uptight when someone refers to these islands as the British Isles, especially as Ireland is only a mini Britain anyway, and I'm not trying to WUM here, I genuinely don't see any difference between us and them in modern society and so don't care if we are called the British Isles

osarusan
04/09/2007, 3:55 PM
I am PEDANTOR!!!!!

Keep him away from kids. In fact, just lock him up. Bloody pedantors.

gael353
04/09/2007, 8:47 PM
Fair enough lads but i think im right lol ammm no i think the eire one was a british translation of the word éirinn/eireann but you cant use those words on their own so its like saor stáit eireann...drop the free state after the constitution and translate to english and you get EIRE. You see eire is a british for a ireland as the british or trinity guys see it, but ireland isnt a word in the irish language, eg muintir na heirinn/heireann...we'll go back to hibernia in the end @)

bennocelt
04/09/2007, 9:32 PM
As for the term British Isles, it's as good as any, and angrily rejected by those insecure in their nationality. The word British comes from the name of the Celtic peoples who are our ancestors.
).

well thats not true........if you are Irish why the hell would you want to be confused with been British

silliest thing i ever saw on TV was when Tom Mccuirk was rambling on and he said Dublin was the fifth biggest city in the British isles, then exactly 10 minutes later he was going on about how terrible it was that the British press kept calling it "The British Lions".....................bloody fool

as for Eire, it is kind of what the country is called in Irish, but i do feel that the British use it in a very patronising way towards us

BohsPartisan
05/09/2007, 6:40 PM
I have no problem with the term British Isles as it was not actually the British who enslaved us. It was a motley crew of Normans, Danes, Anglo-Saxons that enslaved the real British to begin with and along with help from our own miserable ruling class enslaved the Irish people. However to clear up crossed meanings etc. I like the name Atlantean Isles.

-lamb-
05/09/2007, 7:43 PM
afaik (and yes, i had to check it out not so long ago) "ireland" is the official name of the state.
to make an official distinction between "ireland" the state and "ireland" the island the name (description) "republic of ireland" should be used when not referring to the island as a whole but specifically the state of "ireland".
confusing, but understandable once the mud has settled!

Dodge
05/09/2007, 11:01 PM
to make an official distinction between "ireland" the state and "ireland" the island the name (description) "republic of ireland" should be used when not referring to the island as a whole but specifically the state of "ireland".
confusing, but understandable once the mud has settled!
Thats not strictly true either.

The name of the state is Ireland.

The words republic were only brought in when we left the commonwelath

The distinction bit above is wikipedia ********. There's nothing official in it

DmanDmythDledge
05/09/2007, 11:31 PM
The other one that annoys me is the word Eire...this word is a British word for our country, eire doesnt actually exist and nothing smells of **** more then some guy going around with a retro t shirt with eire on the back with number 6 for mr sunderland!
Not as bad as people saying ROI.

pineapple stu
05/09/2007, 11:38 PM
I'm just waiting for the first English person to come on here complaining about the term "Irish Sea", and demanding that it be called the "Inter North East European Islands Sea" instead.

We'd take the **** out of them. And rightly so.

dfx-
05/09/2007, 11:46 PM
As for the term British Isles, it's as good as any, and angrily rejected by those insecure in their nationality.

Agree 100%.

*resists the temptation to say 110%*

Réiteoir
06/09/2007, 12:36 PM
Agree 100%.

*resists the temptation to say 110%*

pfft - you can prove anything with percentages

64% of people know that

First
06/09/2007, 12:51 PM
What about the Irish sea surely it should have some British reference to it as it laps up against both .

noby
06/09/2007, 1:10 PM
The Irish sea is thus named, by the British, because it is the sea between them and Ireland.

bennocelt
06/09/2007, 1:10 PM
I'm just waiting for the first English person to come on here complaining about the term "Irish Sea", and demanding that it be called the "Inter North East European Islands Sea" instead.

they could call it pretty much anything they want, its all toxic anyway:)

Jerry The Saint
06/09/2007, 1:14 PM
The Irish sea is thus named, by the British, because it is the sea between them and Ireland.

B@stards! :mad:

I vote we rename it the Tan Sea. That'll learn' em.

First
06/09/2007, 1:21 PM

Only mentioned to see how long it would take for the pi$$ taking to start.

Jerry The Saint
06/09/2007, 1:23 PM
Irish coffee is pretty offensive when you think about it. Implies that we have some sort of fondness for alcohol. :(

pineapple stu
06/09/2007, 5:02 PM
Ah Irish coffee - only drink with the four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat. Trust us to invent it. :)

First
07/09/2007, 10:44 AM
Ah Irish coffee - only drink with the four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat. Trust us to invent it. :)

I want one now!!!!!

-lamb-
12/09/2007, 7:50 AM
Thats not strictly true either.

The name of the state is Ireland.

The words republic were only brought in when we left the commonwelath

The distinction bit above is wikipedia ********. There's nothing official in it

you may be right about why the distinction is there, but it is there nonetheless.

"The Republic of Ireland Act, 1948"
"2.—It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

galwayhoop
12/09/2007, 10:36 AM
you may be right about why the distinction is there, but it is there nonetheless.

"The Republic of Ireland Act, 1948"
"2.—It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

yes but: http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Constitution%20of%20IrelandNov2004.pdf
Article 4. The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

Therefore my interpretation is this:

The Name of the State (under the Constitution): Éire / Ireland
Therefore the Official name of the State (i.e. 26 counties) is Ireland

Described (under the 1948 Act) as: Republic of Ireland
This is to avoid confusing the State (and it's official name) with the description of the Island.

Could be wrong and don't have a legal background but it's how I read it, Officially we are Ireland but we are to describe the country as the Republic of Ireland.

osarusan
12/09/2007, 10:45 AM
We are Ireland, or The Republic of Ireland, part of one of the British Isles.

Dodge
12/09/2007, 10:47 AM
Could be wrong and don't have a legal background but it's how I read it, Officially we are Ireland but we are to describe the country as the Republic of Ireland.

does nobody read the whole thread anymore. We've established that

noby
12/09/2007, 10:51 AM
Reading is for squares, man.

galwayhoop
12/09/2007, 11:02 AM
does nobody read the whole thread anymore. We've established that

in fact i did read the thread but i felt the need to compile a brief synopsis for some others who were retrashing the same points over and over

Saint MacDara
12/09/2007, 3:08 PM
The stretch of water between England and France is called The English Channel in Britain,the French call it La Manche "The Sleeve" and to confuse things even more it's called Mor Breizh "The Sea of Brittany" in Brittany.

So let's not worry about what geographical terms other countries use and assert our names and identity on how we see our world.

GavinZac
12/09/2007, 3:38 PM
The British Isles is an old and outdated term used a long long time ago. Its now called the British and Irish Islands. wrong. its the british isles, because britons lived here, as they did in britanny.

wrong. Eir is an indo-european root word for "land", and it is what the people who the Romans called the scotti and the greeks called the iverna, called this island. the norse and normans turned up and added -land to the end of it, the same as they did for angle - land and scotti - land, aswell as is - land and grun -land.

the fact that the islands are called the british isles (of gallic origin), should please you as opposed to the alternatives, e.g. the Saxon isles. that'd go down well i'd say.